Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 11:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad

What do you mean by "what do about them?" They...age up, move out of their parents' basement, and live their life while their sibling(s) goes on to drudgery in academia? I dunno, I think a lot of people don't like or get bored with Uni simply because they feel a need to send EVERY born-in-game there, so it becomes a repetitive chore. If you don't send everyone there, then when you DO send someone, it's something a little special, something a little different to do that breaks up the routine. At least, that's how it is for me, since my Sims attend Uni only if they meet my player-imposed requirements for attendance, which is fairly hard to do.

It throws off aging and how I like to play rotations. Sure I could just keep them in the Sim bin while their peers who are their age are in University, but I wouldn't be playing these Sims the same amount of time. That bothers me since I like playing all households equally. There's not an "easy" fix to me. I could also age Sims up after they attend so they're the same age but that becomes a chore when playing a large hood, which I typically do.

EDIT: Plus I just don't like playing University. Even if I went around and tinkered with things to make ages correct, I wouldn't necessarily want to play it.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#52 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by natboopsie
@grinevilly Pescado's site has mods to stop both the vampire-biting of NPC sims creaturefixes and your sims being forced to watch a fight No Forced Watch Fight.

Thanks @natboopsie for the heads up on those two fixes. I knew about Pescado's "creature fixes", but i've been reluctant to install any of his mods. They scare me, and I dont think I'm alone in that! haha. I usually catch on whenever vampires enter a community lot. First thing I do is make them selectable, then send them to order food. Then i make them unselectable. They'll sit at the table trying to decide which blood type they want til the sun comes up. This became necessary when I grabbed the Contessa and saw, queued up in her actions "bite neck" and her target was Mrs. Crumplebottom. My game nearly committed suicide!! ...of all the things you CANT do to Mrs Crumplebottom cuz they fall out of queue... ugh! The No Forced Watch Fight mod, I was unaware of... I may have to break down and install that one.

Oh!! And i second your notion: never start dining out with less than 3 minutes on the clock!!

On another note... Anybody ever notice how after FreeTime, University Professors keep showing up on hobby lots and #MeToo -ing everybody? it's ridiculous! My sim had about 8 consecutive "caught cheating" and "lost best friend" professor memories each! And what's with that weird little shuffle some sims do, when they enter an OFB lot? They walk in to the building, blow past everybody, and do this one foot slide, chin up maneuver. Then they walk off the lot. PitA! hahaha

-gE
>=)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#53 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rollingstarr
It throws off aging and how I like to play rotations. Sure I could just keep them in the Sim bin while their peers who are their age are in University, but I wouldn't be playing these Sims the same amount of time. That bothers me since I like playing all households equally. There's not an "easy" fix to me. I could also age Sims up after they attend so they're the same age but that becomes a chore when playing a large hood, which I typically do.

EDIT: Plus I just don't like playing University. Even if I went around and tinkered with things to make ages correct, I wouldn't necessarily want to play it.

No throwing off ages needed. I have my YA in the main hood the same time as my YA who go to uni.
Did you see my post below iCad's? back on page 1. I frequently don't play university, you can still play YA's if you don't want to play uni.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#54 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 11:56 PM
Personally, i think University is underrated, and gets a bad rap...

There's a ton of really cool features in Univ that a lot of people miss out on because the feature really isn't as long as it seems. It's not required, and people really don't spend the time exploring it, like other aspects. When it comes to EPs, no pack changed the game style as much as Univ did.

I believe I've heard that Greek sims get some added bonuses, like the ability to sleep on the floor, without losing comfort. Sims can also hack into the school's computers to up their grades -- and get busted for doing so! Sims with low grades can romance their professors for grade boosts. The Greek letters actually have a function, if you click on them at a University lot. There's a bunch of other things, as well. It can, indeed, seem tedious. But there's ways to play to make it more interesting.

Right now, i'm in the process of creating my first custom Fraternity. I've developed the fraternity's name, Annya-Urele-Nagaard. They've got a mascot and colors. I've made a bunch of custom content for their frat house... banners, wall hangings, pictures, rugs, clothing, etc. My intention is to have every member dress in their fraternity's formal wear to have a portrait painted, which will remain in the fraternity halls forever. And, if I can figure out how to make the custom tattoos, I think I may have every frat brother get a fraternity tattoo. It's been fun, collecting and creating stuff thus far.

There's been plenty of times when I thought Univ dragged -- dont EVER try to play a vampire in college!! ...but on quite a few occasions, i've felt like college life just flew by waaaaaaay too fast!

-gE
>=)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#55 Old 15th Jul 2019 at 11:59 PM
I did once ^ I got the indoor vampire hack and made him fly/run to class. This was back when I played full-length uni too. It was difficult.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#56 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 12:23 AM

Well, if you just don't like playing it, that's perfectly valid, of course! There are people who love Uni, people who hate it, and people who are "meh" about it. I'm kinda one of the latter, pretty underwhelmed by how it works in general...which is why I sort of overhauled the whole thing for my own playing, to see if I can make it something that will interest me more.

As for ages, yeah, I can understand that, too. There are ways you can adjust that pretty easily, though. Personally, I adjust returning Uni Sims using the aging adjuster that's part of the object version of the Insimenator. With that, you can adjust the number of days a Sim has left in their current lifestage in single-day increments. (It's the only modded object I've found that will do that; all the others will only adjust in 3-day increments.) I just subtract from their adult lifespan however many days the Sim in question was in Uni. (Many of mine who attend don't manage to graduate. Although with the new system I'm developing more will probably graduate because I'll be annoyed if I they jump through all the hoops I'm making for them to get there...and then they decide to drop out after a semester. ) This puts them back into sync with everyone else in the neighborhood, whether or not they went to Uni. It's the first thing I do when I play a Sim returning from Uni.

I'm not saying this to convince you to play Uni, though! As I said, it's perfectly valid not to like it even if everyone else on the planet loves it. I'm just making this suggestion in a general sense, for others who might read this thread and have the same concern as you.

EDIT: For @grinevilly
Custom tattoo tutorial: http://www.digitalperversion.net/ga...p?topic=16433.0
I have a quarter-done tattoo overlay box and...Well, it's a giant pain in the ass of copying/pasting in SimPE, but it's certainly doable. If you only make one tattoo it shouldn't be too bad.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Theorist
#57 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 12:50 AM
On the Uni aging thing:

If I was playing Uni, I'd play it outside of rotations, so just like now, Teens would go to uni one day before aging up and return to the neighbourhood on the evening of the day when they would have aged up. That way there'd be no issue with the aging being out of synch.
However the problem would still be that I'd have to spend 24 Sim days on an empty expanse of gameplay that I personally don't find entertaining.

(At least without heavy amounts of mods which I don't really wanna set up) YAs in Sims 2 can't marry, can't have children etc and (imho) even that secret society isn't really fun, especially after joining it a couple of times. So really, what's there in the College sub-hoods that I can't do in the main hoods? The Toga Party? Eh that alone isn't worth 24 sim days.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Instructor
#58 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 1:04 AM
Most people agree uni is way too long. In number of days it's about half the rest of a sim's life. Child stage is a bit long, and teen is way too long. I end those stages early. Elder is way too long - I make it shorter. I also have a mod that makes adulthood longer, depending on health and aspiration level at age transition, but it only works on Sims that age to adulthood, from either teen or YA.
Mad Poster
#59 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 1:11 AM
I totes agree with most of that. I have uni set to four days, but often still cheat them up to grad or let them fail out, unless I have specific romantic plans for them.

I leave babies, toddlers, and children's ages alone, but have a mod that lets teens be teens for only eight days. At the end of the sixth day, I send them to uni if they are going. Otherwise, when I get the notice to buy them a cake, I age them to YA and let them attend college, or not, from home. I just need that time for their lifespan. Adults and elders age normally.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Theorist
#60 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 1:59 AM

TS3 has by default a YA stage. This is part of the Sims' normal lives. It doesn't have to throw off rotation if you made that time part of your regular play time, and play YA Sims in college on the same rotation. Unless adding days to every Sims' live would diminish your enjoyment, which it very well might, I'm not seeing it much different rotation-wise. I'm not all the way up on all these mods Midge the Tree has made but the more I read of them the more interesting they sound.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#61 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 2:04 AM
There is no difference rotation wise if you make the college time fit your main hood time. For me this is 10 days uni or main hood YA, but there are other mod lengths around to choose from and no doubt someone like Midge could make a different length one. My YA get the same rotation as any of my other sims.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#62 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 2:04 AM
EDIT: For @grinevilly
Custom tattoo tutorial: http://www.digitalperversion.net/ga...p?topic=16433.0
I have a quarter-done tattoo overlay box and...Well, it's a giant pain in the ass of copying/pasting in SimPE, but it's certainly doable. If you only make one tattoo it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks for the link! There's a tutorial for tattoos here on MTS as well. I read it ages ago, when i understood FAR less about how the game and SimPE work. I think i could probably handle it now. Tedious pains in the ass aside -- i'm working on an object right now that requires 56 recolors for one object to work right... I was planning on making several different tattoos, for several areas of the body. Shoulder, back, chest, arm and calf... maybe others. Depends on how successful I am, and/or how quickly I get fed up! hahaha!

Thanks again, @iCad! I'll check out that one on GoS! =)

-gE
>=)
Mad Poster
#63 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 3:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Misty_2004
TS3 has by default a YA stage. This is part of the Sims' normal lives. It doesn't have to throw off rotation if you made that time part of your regular play time, and play YA Sims in college on the same rotation. Unless adding days to every Sims' live would diminish your enjoyment, which it very well might, I'm not seeing it much different rotation-wise. I'm not all the way up on all these mods Midge the Tree has made but the more I read of them the more interesting they sound.

I agree. That's what I do. Regardless of whether a sim attends uni, he always has the ya stage of his life.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Instructor
#64 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 4:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MattGo74
Most people agree uni is way too long. In number of days it's about half the rest of a sim's life. Child stage is a bit long, and teen is way too long. I end those stages early. Elder is way too long - I make it shorter. I also have a mod that makes adulthood longer, depending on health and aspiration level at age transition, but it only works on Sims that age to adulthood, from either teen or YA.

I'm in the minority that likes the default durations of the teen and young adult stages. These are my two favourite life stages, and I get somewhat sad every time a Sim has to age up from those two, I don't think I would mind perpetual teenhood/young adulthood for my Sims. I would probably put it to my RL age, I guess myself being a teen/young adult makes me appreciate those stages more as I connect with them.

As for children, I get easily annoyed with them and just hope their birthday comes soon so that they become teens. Elders, while it can become a rather long life stage, I don't mind as much, because usually by the time they're elders, I don't really want to say goodbye to those Sims, I get way too attached to those pixels . As for adults, I sometimes end up using the Elixir or SimPE to give them some more days, I think it's too short compared to the rest.

Nice Rachel we're having.
My C:Simblr!
Theorist
#65 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 4:13 PM
Yeah, I'm liking that idea because as it is I feel like when I send a Sim to Uni I have to pretty much play them through because it's like they're sent off to an alternate timeline the Sims in the neighborhood will never have. If I played the neighborhood Sims for the same length as Uni Sims (or even made something equivalent) everyone would progress much too far in the regular 'hood. Right now I'm too busy putting my history project back together but later I'm going to have to put some real thought into this.
Mad Poster
#66 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 4:57 PM
A semester at Uni is more or less a day at home - that works for me.
Forum Resident
#67 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 6:00 PM Last edited by natboopsie : 17th Jul 2019 at 1:06 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Misty_2004
I thought about using Inge's fridge but didn't like the idea--hadn't thought about it for possibly community lots, though. For at home I have a mod that forces left-overs on them if there are any available.

I realized at some point a long time ago to get other Sims on a group outing before attempting to do anything on a community lot with one I can't control. It's kind of a neat feature, actually, like, "Oh hi there! Haven't seen you in a while, wanna grab a bite to eat with me?"

Oh, that just made me think of something! Are there any custom food bars out there anywhere like the ones in BV? I really like those bars but it gets tiresome enough if a Sim is on vacation constantly eating the same food unless they order room service. The right one could fit nicely into a shopping area.

I have Dizzy's mod (Have a Leftover) also and love it! Yes, I don't use the No-Autonomy fridge on any home lots in my current game, but I have in the past; it still is forever in my Downloads because I don't make restaurant lots without one!

Yeah, personally I have always liked that sims have to ask others to join their group to arrange the meal too---for realism, as you say.

Here on MTS, Rinchan7 is the one I know of who did two custom food stands. Caution: this means custom foods are used, which should not be removed from your game once installed.

Those stupid dreadlocks from either AL or M&G - the ones that have different color bands for each hair color. There's like 4 for each so of course the game picks that hair a lot.

I was annoyed by that frequency too. One solution is to default replace all or a few (3 of the 4?) of them. Best source for that is the Sims 2 Defaults Database; if you go right to the page for that particular male hair, you'll see that several of the options even default-replace only specific colors of the band. So you can swap in 4 new hairstyles, or 3 (to keep the old one with just black hairband color, for example), and end the issue for future townies/NPCs the game may generate.

Quote: Originally posted by grinevilly
I knew about Pescado's "creature fixes", but i've been reluctant to install any of his mods. They scare me, and I dont think I'm alone in that! haha. I usually catch on whenever vampires enter a community lot. First thing I do is make them selectable, then send them to order food. Then i make them unselectable. They'll sit at the table trying to decide which blood type they want til the sun comes up. This became necessary when I grabbed the Contessa and saw, queued up in her actions "bite neck" and her target was Mrs. Crumplebottom. My game nearly committed suicide!! ...of all the things you CANT do to Mrs Crumplebottom cuz they fall out of queue... ugh! The No Forced Watch Fight mod, I was unaware of... I may have to break down and install that one.

[snip]And what's with that weird little shuffle some sims do, when they enter an OFB lot? They walk in to the building, blow past everybody, and do this one foot slide, chin up maneuver. Then they walk off the lot. PitA! hahaha

You're indeed not alone in that fear, grinevilly! Although in many cases, it's not fully justified fear...in the sense that his mods are well-made to work effectively. It's just that they may have hidden features that he decided everyone needed, and it's likely we still haven't realized about some of those. But again, that was more his being presumptuous, not anything that actually endangers your game (like a bitten Mrs. Crumplebottom). So you can always just uninstall any of his stuff if you don't like it. In fact, one thing you can say about Pescado is that he made a point of keeping his mods safe in terms of not contributing to corruption, and he would warn about, and usually just remove, features that might be used in such ways.

Still, if you don't want to install creaturefixes---or really, as an extra precaution even if you do---there are instructions here (updated to include the UC!) for making your objects.package read only, so that your game won't corrupt even if you miss it and Mrs. Crumplebottom gets bitten.

In Windows 10 and possibly also 7 and 8, those instructions probably need one extra step, as I was just advising foxmanic over here. (Edited to fix that link so it's useful and no longer repeats the one I gave above.) That's, sadly, apparently needed to stop Windows from ignoring (and allowing TS2 to ignore) your read-only designations!

Finally, are you saying that when those business-passerby sims stand in place before leaving, they're looking up? If yes...that's EAxis' "window shopping." I kid you not; it was supposed to make OFB businesses look even more realistic when played.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Undead Molten Llama
#68 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 8:52 PM
About the creaturefixes thing: the only reason people list is as "essential" is because it stops grand vamps from biting Crumplebottom, which if it happens can corrupt your game install. (But this is relatively easy to fix, if it happens, by either copying over the original objects.package file from your disks or, I would imagine, using the "repair game" function if you have the UC, so it's not a reason to run around like your hair is on fire. Game install corruption is easier to deal with than neighborhood corruption.) Anyway, there are other mods that can address this issue, including several that just make it so that grand vamps can't bite anyone autonomously. That's what I have. And also, Crumplebottom is universally banned in my game, anyway, because her shtick was, IMO, cute for a few downtown dates back in 2008, and then it got old. So...Out she goes. Doing that works, too. Or, yeah, you can make your objects packages read-only, but sometimes that doesn't stick, and for me it's just easier to stop the behavior with a mod than it is to screw around in the Program Files. Just a preference thing, in the end.

I do have creaturefixes in my game but currently all of its functions are overridden by other mods that load after it...except for the one that fixes alien teens so that they retain their alien eyes rather than using the eyes that are painted onto whatever skin they're wearing. If I could find a mod that just did that, I'd ditch creaturefixes (since it's mostly-useless in my set-up) and install that one. But as it is...Yeah, I don't want my alien teens to have badly-painted, non-alien eyes.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Instructor
#69 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 9:04 PM
I age babies right away and toddlers once they get the 4 skills. Before there was lifetime aspiration I aged toddlers right away - so they went straight from born-child.
Undead Molten Llama
#70 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 9:10 PM
I age babies right away and toddlers once they get the 4 skills. Before there was lifetime aspiration I aged toddlers right away - so they went straight from born-child.

You could still do that, if you wanted to. The Batbox can apply the LTA "milestones" to any Sim. So, age the baby to child, then slap the toddler skills on them with the Batbox. All the points, none of the annoying toddler hassles.

(Before someone yells: I like toddlers, myself. But a lot people don't, and that's OK.)

Mad Poster
#71 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 10:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Isa-WP
"Dates, Yay"
Evidence attached.

I wonder if they put that there as a placeholder and forgot to change it.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Forum Resident
#72 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 11:06 PM
Crumplebottom is universally banned in my game, anyway, because her shtick was, IMO, cute for a few downtown dates back in 2008, and then it got old. So...Out she goes.

Did it really take you that long?? haha, most folks I've talked to, myself included, got tired of Mrs. C back in TS1! hahaha!

Quote:
I do have creaturefixes in my game but currently all of its functions are overridden by other mods that load after it...except for the one that fixes alien teens so that they retain their alien eyes rather than using the eyes that are painted onto whatever skin they're wearing. If I could find a mod that just did that, I'd ditch creaturefixes (since it's mostly-useless in my set-up) and install that one. But as it is...Yeah, I don't want my alien teens to have badly-painted, non-alien eyes.

The alien eyes thing is terrible. I'm surprised nobody ever took the effort to make a smaller, single-function version of that fix, tbh. I could make contacts for alien eyes, if i wanted to. Oddly, i've yet to have a male sim abducted by aliens, unless he was an elder.

I think, what bothers me about Pescado's mods are exactly that I don't know exactly what i'm getting, and that always concerns me with mods. I read a lot about any mods before i put them in my game, to make sure I understand exactly what they're going to do and how they're going to work. I dont like surprises. Things may not corrupt your game, but they may tweak something else and, while i may not be opposed to that tweak, i DO want to know beforehand. My food and my sims. Don't &%#$ with them without telling me what you're doing first!! hahah...

-gE
>=)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#73 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 11:45 PM
Did it really take you that long?? haha, most folks I've talked to, myself included, got tired of Mrs. C back in TS1! hahaha!

I love Mrs C and always hope to see her when I take sims Downtown. I want to see her climb out of a well and wallop some sim. Yes really, there will be no getting rid of her in my game.

~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#74 Old 16th Jul 2019 at 11:55 PM

Well, I've never played TS1, and I didn't start playing TS2 until January of 2008, so...It didn't take me long at all, really.

Quote:
The alien eyes thing is terrible. I'm surprised nobody ever took the effort to make a smaller, single-function version of that fix, tbh. I could make contacts for alien eyes, if i wanted to. Oddly, i've yet to have a male sim abducted by aliens, unless he was an elder.

I use a hacked telescope in my game that allows Sims to autonomously choose to be abducted at any time, and also a mod that allows both genders, teen to adult, to be "pollinated" so...Yeah, lots of aliens running around. I could use contacts to fix the issue, but I try to keep my CC levels down and since I can use a mod to fix the eye situation, that's what I do. But yeah, if a stand-alone mod for that existed, I'd definitely use it in favor of the mostly-useless-in-my-game creaturefixes.

Quote:
I think, what bothers me about Pescado's mods are exactly that I don't know exactly what i'm getting...

His descriptions are vague, yes, and it can be very frustrating. Especially if you're a person who used a lot of mods, like me, and they're not all made by Pescado and you're concerned about clashing or redundancy. I think for me the problem is more that his mods tend to bundle together more things than I want or need for my game. Like with the multi-function creaturefixes that I want/use ONE feature of. Then there's noeatcrap and how I like one part of what it does but wish it didn't do a bunch of other things. Those things ARE all documented, at least, but I just can't separate the stuff I want from what I don't want, which irritates me. I wish he'd uploaded more stand-alone mods instead of "bigger" ones that do a lot of things, but his brain obviously works differently from mine. Some of the mods are fine, though. Some of his mods I won't play without, even, and I'm not talking about those considered "essential." If there's something you're interested in that he made, you could always ask about it here, see if anyone's noticed anything "undocumented" about it.

Forum Resident
#75 Old 17th Jul 2019 at 1:08 AM
On that last note, charity's thread on which Pescado mods are thought to have/not have extra "features" is still helpful.

And for anyone wanting to keep their objects.package read-only (like in case someone bites Crumplebottom) just using Windows, I fixed the link in my prior post in this thread, where I mentioned giving foxmanic the details about how to make sure Windows actually can't touch files you marked read-only. (Still think it's crazy that any OS can assume it doesn't need to take "read-only" seriously unless you tell it two different ways...)

ETA: I also find Mrs. Crumplebottom amusing and have never wanted to mod her out. That purse full of cement makes her priceless, IMO!

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Page 3 of 19