Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Apr 2019 at 8:08 PM
Rules on uploading content that uses CC from TSR
Hi, I was wondering if this site allowed me to upload content that requires CC from TSR, so long as I credit and link it. I ask because I'm working on a lot that uses some ground cover from Cyclonesue over at TSR. Thanks.

Edit: Is it the same for other websites where I might download CC?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Apr 2019 at 8:19 PM
From what I understand it, it's perfectly acceptable now that TSR has gone free.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Apr 2019 at 8:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
From what I understand it, it's perfectly acceptable now that TSR has gone free.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Now I just need to re-apply all of the ground texture (removed it 'cause I thought I couldn't use it. )
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Apr 2019 at 9:02 PM
You can definitely use it and link to it.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 28th Apr 2019 at 9:36 PM
Especially if your CC is ground cover as it is the only CC that won't need credit(if you cannot find who) and still allowed to upload as without it, the lot is doomed. Creator Guidelines offers great infos.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 12:38 AM
Sorry guys but this is not correct.

The site and the creator both have to allow it. So while TSR is free now it can only be used under some conditions.
1) featured artist items may not be uploaded to lots here.
Quote:
If you are considering uploading your lots at any other site, please first check that the artist grants you permission to do so because TSRAA only applies to lots uploaded at TSR. Note: lots containing content by current Featured Artists must not be submitted to any website other than TSR.

https://www.thesimsresource.com/artists/tsraa/
Cyclonesue is a featured artist so that means you have to link not included.

So anytime you upload check both the site and the artists TOU. Now I only know about this due to being a queue mod, TSR made this information hard to find, but it was discovered about a year ago.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 2:25 AM
So...what about this right here then :
Terrain Paints: Do NOT remove any terrain paints from your sims2pack. This is the one exception to the non-redistributable policies/pay/must provide credit rules. If you remove terrain paints from a lot it can cause it to crash for downloaders. Due to this, all terrain paint creators should expect their content to be included no matter what. Please provide a link and credit for these items whenever possible, but if a terrain paint is not clearly marked with a creator's name/website, you may still include it and it will not be grounds for rejection.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 2:35 AM
She needs to use a different terrain paint, one not by a featured TSR artist.

@WatermelonSandal

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 2:37 AM
Oh ok. So the Creators Guidelines applies to everything, but TSR's featured creators. It should be added then!

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 2:47 AM
TSR should make it more clear but you literally have to go to the black bar near the top of a TSR page hover over artists and select 'TSR Artist Alliance' and then find it amongst all the text on that page.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 2:51 AM
You'd think that a featured creator knows how terrain paints work, and make an exception about them. But oh well.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 5:11 AM
That isn't Cyclonesue TOU that's the site owner of TSR. Cyclonesue has no TOU and their last update on their front page shows as 2013, so they may not even be around anymore. Now if they have their stuff uploaded to a blog elsewhere...

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 7:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
So...what about this right here then :
Terrain Paints: Do NOT remove any terrain paints from your sims2pack. This is the one exception to the non-redistributable policies/pay/must provide credit rules. If you remove terrain paints from a lot it can cause it to crash for downloaders. Due to this, all terrain paint creators should expect their content to be included no matter what. Please provide a link and credit for these items whenever possible, but if a terrain paint is not clearly marked with a creator's name/website, you may still include it and it will not be grounds for rejection.

Right, I may have to build my lot all over again in that case.
It's a shame because the terrain paints work so well with the lot style.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 8:01 AM
@joandsarah77 - I have downloaded more than one lot using stuff from Cyclonesue - linked to TSR, and I downloaded the cc from there

Like this (picked) one: https://modthesims.info/d/556187/treetops.html

Needed is Cyclonesue's Tree House set. I downloaded it.

And that is why I said it can definitely be done?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 10:04 AM
I'm sure you have because that lot is 2015 and we only found this out a year or so ago and occasionally things slip through, more so items going directly to the download section and bypassing the queue. If you see something breaking the Creators Guidelines you can report it, but this only applies to uploads after something has been applied not to those that were uploaded before any change.

I copied and pasted the TOU directly from TSR. I didn't make it. MTS simply follows creators and other sites TOU's.

MTS policy:
Quote:
You may include items of the following types with your upload:

Free, Redistributable Content: You must check the creator's policy to see if they allow redistribution. If the creator's policy doesn't say anything about including content in lots, or if the original site is permanently offline, you can assume that the creator is happy for their content to be redistributed.

Unfortunately, TSR are quite clear the featured artist's items can only be used in lots being uploaded to TSR and no other site.

It could be that they changed the policy is 2017/18 like Sandy from Around The Sims 2 did. She also changed her TOU and now disallows items being redistributed in lots. This is also not widely known, but if you read the small print on her front page she now says not to. It's very hard for staff and creators to keep up with TOU's when they change, but once noticed we have to abide by them -if uploading here.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#16 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 11:46 AM
It is a little confusing. The Creators' Guidelines seems to specifically say that terrain paint is an exception and you should include it no matter what the original creator's policy is.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 11:55 AM
I had not read over the terrain paint part, that does sound like an exception. Anything else by a featured artist certainly wouldn't be allowed. I will ask Gina tomorrow but it looks like terrain paint you can get away with.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#18 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 2:36 PM
Well yeah, this is what I've been saying. Though if this exception is not really one, someone should update that information in the Creator's Guidelines. Or else, this only brings confusion, hence doing the opposite of what it's for.

Mad Poster
#19 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 2:47 PM
@joandsarah77 - thank you for the explanation; I know you did not make it, but I still disagree and I think there is a difference between:

redistributing cc with a lot (that would means the cc is included in the upload, or perhaps in a separate cc file which goes with the lot, and, on certain sites (eg Tumblr), there may be no link to the site or creator;

linking to cc needed before you download a lot (that means a visit to TSR, which their advertisers will love and which makes a lot more business sense to me).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 2:55 PM
@Justpetro I was only talking about CC by featured TSR artists packaged in the lot file on MTS.

@Rosebine I had not read down further. I guess in the time that I was on the queue I did not come across a terrain by a featured artist packaged in a lot. If it says that's an exception then it still is.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#21 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 3:05 PM
So. as for featured creators:

the terrain paint has to be included, because it can harm another person's game;
(however, MTS will still require a link to the original download)

and
other cc may be used but not included in the lot file, it has to be linked to.

Do I have that right now?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 29th Apr 2019 at 11:23 PM
You can include TSR content in the lot file, so long as it's not by a featured artist. Plus a link because this credits them plus some people prefer to get the cc separately. I am one of those who would rather get the cc as a separate link. For those wondering why, I can read over the upload, grab any other parts of a set, grab a picture and organize it into my download folder into the proper place, not into a 'X lot CC' folder which I really don't like as it may well be a double or triple or who knows what.

Featured artists do not include the file in the lot simply link to the content. PS. You can do this for any content.

Terrain paint is special, always include no matter what the site or creator's TOU says. MTS have wavered it's policy due to the blue flashing issue. My suggestion would be, use different terrain paint. There is plenty of free to use here and on Tumblr and GOS. While it's allowed here it is still breaking TSR's TOU and it isn't because they agreed to it, they don't even know about it. Honestly, by now they probably don't even care about TS2, but it's policy.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#23 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 9:05 AM
I guess one could link to the terrain paint and just make it clear in your upload that it is essential for the lot to work?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 9:50 AM
If you download the terrain paint before installing the lot it might be okay but I'm really not sure. Would need to run a test. I avoid using custom terrain paint in lots that I am sharing and try not to download lots with it. Even on my own lots for my own use, I use very little cc terrain paint

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#25 Old 30th Apr 2019 at 1:55 PM
It's okay if the terrain paint is already in your game - I have done that. I have had the secret garden terrain paints from here for a long time: http://modthesims.info/d/291693/quo...our-garden.html

and have always unticked them when installing a lot with them (well, at least twice, I think) in Clean Installer.
Page 1 of 2