Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#26 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 12:17 PM
if you have Origin infected game it is unfortunatelly "normal", the only cure is to roll back to the old executable (if you have pre-patched version). Tere's no difference between them, except the "updated" one calls Origin, just typical malware behaviour.

Keep the game in the Origin as "offline"/"not update" (or something like that I did not opened that program for... ages). And making backup of working installation is a good idea.

Instead of renaming Sims 2 folder you can just make shortcut to it, simpler & safer. It is what HDCU needs.

EDIT:
do not mess with swap file size (aka: "Virtual Memory")
does the game still loads slow on SSD?

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#27 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 1:55 PM
I've got a SSD and a HDD, both at roughly 1 TB each.
The game (without CC) loads in less than a minute on the SSD.

Before I did the Virtual memory, at least one lot that contained a pool loaded as pink-flashing, but after Virtual memory, the same lot loaded fine.
Scholar
#28 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 7:56 PM
if you did not point swapfile location into HDD (which you should in such configuration), you just shortened your SSD life* messing with "Virtual Memory", how little actual RAM you have got anyway? 2GB? 3? Because if you have 8 that situation should not happen until something is really messed up with the system settings. pink-flash is a problem with texture load, in S2 typically the file is lost or transfer RAM->VRAM failed; because there was no free VRAM or because there was not enough RAM for the texture cache - none of that should hapen with your kind of machine. 'Till you know, you play the game with bloated system, AV messing around and a ton of junk running in background (and like 10 tabs in browser with youtube clips opened at once).

Let the system decide how many actual Virtual RAM is needed, since W7 Windows does it (finally) rather properly. Most of the time. Messing with that will only lower your system efficiency (and it's quite possible, that some security/feature update just will set it up back).

SSDs may become slower if content on the drive reach circa 60-70% theirs capacity - it's expected and vary from model to model (on crucials, for example, you should not notice this until 80-90%). Well - in this case "size matters" is actually true.

* OK, it does not matter much now, SSDs are cheaper every day

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#29 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 10:46 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Mar 2019 at 10:59 PM.
On the laptop I have Windows 10 pro, a Nvidia GTX 1070 card (with either 6 or 8 GB dedicated memory I think), 32 GB RAM, a 1TB SSD as the main drive, plus a 1 TB HDD. I plan on using the SSD for installed programs, and as far as possible using the HDD for project files and other things I'm going to move around or edit a lot, to save the SSD a bit from wear and tear while at the same time speed up the program loading. I've considered installing the saved game on the HDD (because of my often frequent editing of the DL folder), but I've never tried to do anything else than the default install before, and never tried to have the install and saved game on different drives.

Technically it shouldn't be a problem, but the VRAM change did seem to help with the pink-flashing (it happened after the 4GB switch, but disappeared with the VRAM change - considering the game was a fresh install with no CC and only two lots loaded, the memory shouldn't be bloated at all). The VRAM was set pretty low to begin with. I followed one of the "what to do if you have Win10 and and your game flashes pink" guides posted above, and it did mention the VRAM issue as something that should be fixed, but did not mention whether it was a difference between doing it with a HDD and SSD. I've never had a computer with a SSD, so consider me a relative noob on how to handle that (but I do know some of the differences between a SSD and HDD, so I'm not completely ignorant).

How would I swap the VRAM over to the HDD? Do you have an explanation or a link to a tutorial, maybe?

I've never used the UC before (I've used my regular single CDs on 3 different computers, no UC or collection packs), but the new laptop doesn't have a disc drive (I do have an external one), so I thought I'd give UC a chance simply to not be dependent on the CDs, and so that I'll have the CDs as a backup in case the UC in the future should become unavailable.

I have toyed with the thought of setting up a partition drive running Windows 7, but that's also something I've never tried before. I have Win7 on my old laptop, and by the looks of it I never had to apply the 4GB patch, so I know Win7 is better to use with TS2 than Win10 considering the RAM usage. However, considering support for Win7 is discontinued within the nearest couple of years, I decided to get Win10 as the main system. I had a feeling there would be issues with TS2/UC, and I wasn't wrong...
Scholar
#30 Old 26th Mar 2019 at 12:30 AM
with that amount of real RAM the Windows will only use mandatory drop out after/during boot, it's about 200MB (in Windows7, in 10 maybe more) and will never swap, even program with serious memory leak will faster just crash or die, than force system to swap. Which is good. Using a swap file is bad, because it is slow placebo. You can select where the swapfile is located under system settings. Sorry but I do not know where *this time* MS buried that (
'start ms-settings:' in "search" or via PowerShell should (?) work). It was in the "System and Security/System/Advanced[TAB: Advanced]". If you point another disk, the old swap will be deleted and the new created elsewhere. But with 32G RAM it's not necessary.

In theory the newer version should be better, but Windows 10 works in mysterious, unknown ways, anyway with such memory there should not be problems. I suppouse there's rather some kind of weirdness in W10 than actual Virtual Memory problem.

If you have "Pro" version, you're entitled to running Windows 7 virtual machine for testing and developing, not commercial purposes, which is better than running the one via VMware or OpenBox because that kind of "machine" has access to your real hardware. And you avoid the mess with 2 Windows installations fighting each other and rebooting hassle. Particular instructions are on MS site.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#31 Old 26th Mar 2019 at 11:47 AM
I've already turned off all the Win10 "send/collect data" I could find in the settings - I know it might not be quite enough, but it's a start. I have an antivirus program, and don't use browsers without adblock, and I'm usually very careful which sites I visit and what I download. So far I've not had malware problems, and the few attack attempts I've seen have been beaten down by the antivirus program before they could do anything. I also tend to clean out the computer regularly (temp files and the like) just to be on the safe side.

I know Win10 is not an ideal OS, but atm it's what I've got. From what I gather, it's more of a hassle to get the Sims games to run on a different OS (for instance Linux), and I'd never in a milllion years consider getting something running a MacOS (Tried a Mac at school and the hate was mutual, so I'm not a fan of Apple products. Never owned one, not planning to get one, and their pricing compared to what you get is usually ridicolous). I wonder if Microsoft sometime in the future manages to release a better and more stable OS than what they've produced so far (which I doubt, because their track record is only going down). I liked XP, hated Vista, liked Win7, never tried 8, and am currently struggling to beat 10 into submission (but so far my opinion of it is that it's possibly worse to work with than Vista).
Alchemist
#32 Old 26th Mar 2019 at 2:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
if you have Origin infected game it is unfortunatelly "normal", the only cure is to roll back to the old executable (if you have pre-patched version). Tere's no difference between them, except the "updated" one calls Origin, just typical malware behaviour.

This interests me. I have Windows 7 and, apparently, this pre-patched exe, so I have a couple of questions for you. First, would the game work, if I had to install from Origin on a new computer with whatever OS, to replace just the exe file of that new install if it does call Origin (would it?) with the one I have now? If that's true, I wonder why more people haven't done that.

Second, what does this refer to in the context of what you are talking about? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_13tAJnYXLI
What is it saying was fixed? Has it been?
Forum Resident
#33 Old 26th Mar 2019 at 2:16 PM
Yes, that video without explanation confused me. It did show an Origin popup apparently while playing so I kind of guessed that was its point but have no clue why.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Alchemist
#34 Old 26th Mar 2019 at 2:29 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 28th Mar 2019 at 6:57 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
Yes, that video without explanation confused me. It did show an Origin popup apparently while playing so I kind of guessed that was its point but have no clue why.

I understand it says that they removed the SecuRom. I just don't know if it's true or what exactly the effect of that is because people still say that their games connect to Origin. Mine doesn't, and hasn't in years, but I installed before the update that @ElaineNualla refers to, I assume.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 26th Mar 2019 at 6:56 PM
Microsoft dropped support for SecureRom and other similar forms of DRM in Windows 10, so games with those protections won't run right in Windows 10. What EA did was to patch the Ultimate Collection so that it no longer uses SecureRom.

https://crinrict.com/blog/2017/11/s...es-securom.html
Alchemist
#36 Old 26th Mar 2019 at 10:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
Microsoft dropped support for SecureRom and other similar forms of DRM in Windows 10, so games with those protections won't run right in Windows 10. What EA did was to patch the Ultimate Collection so that it no longer uses SecureRom.

https://crinrict.com/blog/2017/11/s...es-securom.html

Oh, ok, so that was the same update that caused the new installs to need Origin. That clears it up. Thank you.

I'd still like to know if the old (non-Origin) exe file can be substituted for the patched (requires Origin) exe file. Anyone know that?
Scholar
#37 Old 27th Mar 2019 at 2:17 PM
yeah, that "SecuROM" story is a bit doubtful, or maybe "partially true" - UC installation has never pushed SecuROM on my machine (or my security settings just dissalowed that and the game benevolently ignored the problem). From my perspective it was just blunt attempt to install malware.

To roll back to old executable you need either (Windows case):
1) backup of old file (for example made by "4GB patch" executable)
2) good friend with that file who will be happy to share (only this file, nothing else needed)
3) going into bad behaviour and making things about a good simmer openly won't dare to speak there (right?)

Mad Poster
#38 Old 27th Mar 2019 at 2:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I've already turned off all the Win10 "send/collect data" I could find in the settings - I know it might not be quite enough, but it's a start. I have an antivirus program, and don't use browsers without adblock, and I'm usually very careful which sites I visit and what I download. So far I've not had malware problems, and the few attack attempts I've seen have been beaten down by the antivirus program before they could do anything. I also tend to clean out the computer regularly (temp files and the like) just to be on the safe side.

I know Win10 is not an ideal OS, but atm it's what I've got. From what I gather, it's more of a hassle to get the Sims games to run on a different OS (for instance Linux), and I'd never in a milllion years consider getting something running a MacOS (Tried a Mac at school and the hate was mutual, so I'm not a fan of Apple products. Never owned one, not planning to get one, and their pricing compared to what you get is usually ridicolous). I wonder if Microsoft sometime in the future manages to release a better and more stable OS than what they've produced so far (which I doubt, because their track record is only going down). I liked XP, hated Vista, liked Win7, never tried 8, and am currently struggling to beat 10 into submission (but so far my opinion of it is that it's possibly worse to work with than Vista).

You will get used to Win10 - especially when you realised you never have to go and look for a driver again
Scholar
#39 Old 27th Mar 2019 at 3:30 PM Last edited by ElaineNualla : 27th Mar 2019 at 5:25 PM.
Actually *not* system flame war

Mad Poster
#40 Old 28th Mar 2019 at 7:28 AM
Not getting into system flame wars.

Having used Windows 10 since the day it arrived on my pc, I am simply happy with it - it also has improved since then.

I have no problems using it for my business - and I also have no problems playing the UC on it.

Rolling back to Windows 7 is probably not a thing that is going to happen on my pc.

Of course, if others want to roll back, it is their choice. Just not mine.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 28th Mar 2019 at 1:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Oh, ok, so that was the same update that caused the new installs to need Origin. That clears it up. Thank you.

I'd still like to know if the old (non-Origin) exe file can be substituted for the patched (requires Origin) exe file. Anyone know that?

Yes it can. If you switch them out you will not be tied to Origin in any way. You will need to make a new shortcut on your desktop for the non-Origin one. Did it myself, then promptly uninstalled Origin.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#42 Old 28th Mar 2019 at 2:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
if you did not point swapfile location into HDD (which you should in such configuration), you just shortened your SSD life* messing with "Virtual Memory", how little actual RAM you have got anyway? 2GB? 3? Because if you have 8 that situation should not happen until something is really messed up with the system settings.

Many of us get pink flashing on our newer better machines when we never had it before. Most of us with pink flashing are not on a measly 2 Ram but 12 and up (I checked and I have 16) with everything tweaked including extra virtual memory. I've tweaked my set up again by setting virtual memory under Performance settings to be 35-40,000. Normally I have to delete the thumbnails every two weeks to stop it, so I don't know yet if it's gone away for good or will turn back up again since it's only been about a week now.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#43 Old 28th Mar 2019 at 4:35 PM
^ The problem seems to be Win10's handling of memory for 32-bit programs. WinXP and possibly also Win7 would switch over to virtual memory to compensate (I remember my very old laptop would do this, and I'd get a warning - it had only 512 MB memory). This seems to have disappeared again with Win8 and Win10.

The virtual memory is probably needed, because I had pink flashing before I did it, which disappeared after changing it. I'm only wondering if I should set the virtual memory to the HDD instead of the SSD because SSDs don't handle wear and tear from moving files around quite as much as HDDs do.

I'm also wondering if anyone has tried that "Memory Allocation Fix" the video talks about. I used something similar called "Memory Improve Master" on my desktop computer (running Vista, which also had the pink-flash issue, but to a smaller degree and only with a lot of CC), which would free up memory at a certain set time (I think I had it set to 10 minutes), and it would run in the background whenever I played TS2.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 28th Mar 2019 at 5:27 PM Last edited by clsve : 28th Mar 2019 at 6:17 PM.
I have tried the Memory Allocation Fix and it seems to work. I have had some terrible pink flashing and learnt that the 4 gb-patch don't work if you have installed you game on another drive than C:. So after reinstallning UC to C:and applying the 4-gb-patch I now have got rid of the pink flashing.
BTW I have 32 GB Ram, i7-processor and 3 SSD (C:, D: (for Documents) and G: (for programs)). My card is a Asus Nvidia GTX 970.
Alchemist
#45 Old 28th Mar 2019 at 7:27 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 28th Mar 2019 at 7:44 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Many of us get pink flashing on our newer better machines when we never had it before. Most of us with pink flashing are not on a measly 2 Ram but 12 and up (I checked and I have 16) with everything tweaked including extra virtual memory. I've tweaked my set up again by setting virtual memory under Performance settings to be 35-40,000. Normally I have to delete the thumbnails every two weeks to stop it, so I don't know yet if it's gone away for good or will turn back up again since it's only been about a week now.

My understanding is the the pink flashing needs more texture memory allocated in the GraphicsRules.sgr file - not the same as Virtual memory.

Ex: My graphics card has 2GB available so mine says this:

if (not $useSoftwareRasterizer)
# failed to obtain device texture memory size, force to 32MB
if ($textureMemory = 0)
seti textureMemory 2048
# setb textureMemorySizeOK false
endif

Have you done that as well? Or am I just confused?

I do understand the issue with the exe files now, and, for the first time, put it all together, with "George." Slow, I know.

The virtual memory is probably needed, because I had pink flashing before I did it, which disappeared after changing it. I'm only wondering if I should set the virtual memory to the HDD instead of the SSD because SSDs don't handle wear and tear from moving files around quite as much as HDDs do.

Yes, you should. I asked my daughter who has been building computers since grade school to explain this to me, so I'd understand this, too. She's very smart.

Btw, to those answering my questions, thank you, my game is fine and has been for years. I'm just hoping to understand how it all works for the next computer and to be able to help newer simmers.
Scholar
#46 Old 28th Mar 2019 at 9:12 PM
good to know Have fun.

The game is old and sometimes must be tricked for it's own good to work properly. With most of the old software it's the same melody (with a different tunes ofc).

@Justpetro

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#47 Old 28th Mar 2019 at 11:39 PM
^ The problem seems to be Win10's handling of memory for 32-bit programs. WinXP and possibly also Win7 would switch over to virtual memory to compensate (I remember my very old laptop would do this, and I'd get a warning - it had only 512 MB memory). This seems to have disappeared again with Win8 and Win10.

I'm also wondering if anyone has tried that "Memory Allocation Fix" the video talks about. I used something similar called "Memory Improve Master" on my desktop computer (running Vista, which also had the pink-flash issue, but to a smaller degree and only with a lot of CC), which would free up memory at a certain set time (I think I had it set to 10 minutes), and it would run in the background whenever I played TS2.

Except I am on Win 7, I purposely asked the guy who built this PC for me to put on win 7 and not 10. There is more to this pink flashing business than 4 gb patches or RAM. My mistake was getting a highschool tec to build me a gaming computer, he had no clue.
manually setting virtual memory was another tip I found here: http://marasims.tumblr.com/post/172...flash-crash-fix and so far it appears to be working. They suggest 25-30,000 but I was able to set it higher.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#48 Old 29th Mar 2019 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Except I am on Win 7, I purposely asked the guy who built this PC for me to put on win 7 and not 10. There is more to this pink flashing business than 4 gb patches or RAM. My mistake was getting a highschool tec to build me a gaming computer, he had no clue.
manually setting virtual memory was another tip I found here: http://marasims.tumblr.com/post/172...flash-crash-fix and so far it appears to be working. They suggest 25-30,000 but I was able to set it higher.

Did you check the texture memory I was asking about above? Because that's something other than the 4GB patch, RAM, or Virtual Memory.
Mad Poster
#49 Old 29th Mar 2019 at 7:18 AM
I have had minimal problems with pink flashing - in my game and have not seen it for a very long time. Deleting the thumbnails worked for me.
Scholar
#50 Old 29th Mar 2019 at 9:46 PM
also never (nor on Windows 7 neither on Linux Debian/Arch derivatives) really encountered one.
Well, except when I just created the problem by myself by missing the file. The "pink curse" is a kinda strange territory for me.

Page 2 of 3