Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2019 at 12:33 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd Mar 2019 at 10:12 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Trying to make the UC work properly
Somewhat mixed question:

Not sure if my new computer has an issue (or if that issue is named "Windows 10"), but for some reason I can't log onto Origin. The login link on the site goes to a "page not found" page, and I've also tried to search it up (one of these days I'll figure out how to switch the main search from Bing to Google...) but it says I'm offline, which I'm not (I'm on the internet, at least). *

Do I have to install Origin before the login works? And if I've registered all my games over there, does anyone know if I absolutely have to use the CDs to install TS3/4?

I may have gone a little over the top with turning off Win10 settings, but I can't figure out what would cause this problem. I've got like zero experience with Win10 from earlier, so I'm not that surprised if it's a user blunder.

Also, on an unrelated (or related?) note, I keep getting logged off MTS on the same laptop. Can't even post anything (I'm using my older laptop to post). And yes, this happens both with classic and new outlay. I've had the occasional login errors on the older laptop too, but that usually fixes itself.

* Posting here because the reason I want to get onto Origin is that I'm considering installing the UC, but also TS4, and maybe TS3.

EDIT: *sigh* I blame it on Nargles . Turns out there was an edgy bug (pun intended), and somehow the Origin and MTS problem auto-fixed when I closed down and opened back up the browser. I've been having weird issues with logins and similar all day, which all of a sudden seem to correct themselves, so it's probably a small Win10/Edge bug.

Still wondering about the TS3 install, but I guess I'll just try. Testing if it works with TS4 now (which it seems like it does), and I'll have a go at the other two tomorrow, because it's way past midnight atm. It's quite a lot of work setting up a new laptop to run properly...
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Mar 2019 at 5:02 AM
Glad you got it fixed, I was about to suggest trying a different browser, sometimes I have to switch from Firefox to Chrome.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Mar 2019 at 6:00 PM
Trying to install the UC now, so we'll see how that goes. Figured out I really didn't want to dig up all those CDs and install one by one just to be disappointed if it wouldn't work. I guess I'll just have to figure out the UC as I go.
Test Subject
#4 Old 22nd Mar 2019 at 7:44 PM
As far as your Sims 3 and 4 games, if they are not in your library, contact support. Have your codes handy. I just did this on one of Sims 3 expansion packs.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Mar 2019 at 8:21 PM
They are in the Library, With codes and all. Looks like they're downloading fine. I haven't actually tried downloading TS2 or TS3 before, so I was a little unsure if it would work.

I have TS3 as CDs, but registered them at Origin a while back. Good I did, because the Into the future CD gave me issues (game stopped working, but I didn't bother doing anything with it at the time). Taking ages to download them, though… It's apparently one EP at a time.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 22nd Mar 2019 at 8:37 PM
The UC is not hard to figure out - see my signature and shout if you need any help
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Mar 2019 at 8:57 PM
Do you know if that GraphicsRules Works for the newer Nvidia Cards (mine is a 1070)? Also, I have Win10 on this machine, which apparently causes all sorts of additional issues…
Scholar
#8 Old 22nd Mar 2019 at 8:59 PM
Mine is a GTX 1050, not sure if that's new but my dad chose that one for me. Anyway, the Graphic Rule worked for me and the UC.

As for Windows 10, I haven't had many issues thankfully. Only issues related to graphic card and memory. Not much help there, sorry!
Test Subject
#9 Old 22nd Mar 2019 at 9:41 PM
Mine is a 1070 and it worked just fine.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 22nd Mar 2019 at 10:48 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd Mar 2019 at 12:23 AM.
Well, TS2 runs, but in 800x600 (on a 4k screen, so tiiiiiny), and with low Graphics (bad NH grass/water), and no available options, and the log says "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630". I guess it's fixing time...

EDIT: Graphic+video files fixed the low resolution, but not the grass/water. Setting the card in the Nvidia Control panel did work, though. Now everything looks awesome! (for the moment, anyway)

So far no problems loading in the neighborhood (no crashing), but it takes an awfully long time to load in the Family/sim panel in a newly generated hood, particularly considering the game loaded in maybe a minute (installed on SSD). Made a new hood just to crash-test everyting.

(Something on my laptop is causing random Words to have Capital letters, but I already turned off the autocorrect function. Perhaps it doesn't like me writing English... Still trying to get used to everything, I Guess ).

EDIT again: No such Luck, I Guess... Trying to enter the Family bin or a lot makes the game crash. (and yes, I do have admin mode + comp mode, though I get the same result With Win7 and win8). I haven't done the 4GB fix yet, but it does seem weird that memory would be the cause of a crash when I haven't added CC or done anything else than changing the two files + neighborhood graphic settings.

And another edit: Did "fix game" on origin, replaced the V+G files, and got as far as to placing two sims from the Family bin into a lot, halfway load, aaaaand... crash.
The game does seem to run fairly well up until the crash(es), so I can't quite understand what the problem might be.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 1:41 AM
Make sure to get the 4Gb patch, set visual memory http://marasims.tumblr.com/post/172...flash-crash-fix and maybe standby memory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iwuLZyjMg I also recently changed some settings in the Nvidia control panel which helped slightly.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 10:32 AM
Time zones

Glad to see the graphics seems to be working. (General remark : If the Graphics Rules maker does not work (it refuses to work on my system) - just do it manually with the Nvidia card and texture fix from Leefish).

The settings Jo recommends - yes, I recommend those too, and crashing can be caused by a memory problem.

Also possible - one of the things I have noticed often through the years with other UC users (I have started on UC when it came out on Windows 7 and move with it to Wndows 10) - a registry cleaner may cause the game to crash. Some of them tend to delete some of the .dll files that the game needs to run.

You will sort it out!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 2:00 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd Mar 2019 at 2:47 PM.
The game runs, but crashes when I try doing anything With the sims (load lot, move in, CAS), so there's something amiss somewhere.

I've had issues With GraphicRules earlier (didn't work, so didn't bother now), so I used the file from Leefish and manually edited the card into the VideoCards file. Seems the game is running on the proper card now.

I don't think there's a registry cleaner on my laptop, unless there's one included With Win10. I've also checked the antivirus (ESET), and there aren't any files in the quarantine. Didn't get any warnings, either.

I haven't Applied the 4GB fix yet, so that's the Next step. Speaking of, does anyone have a link to it? I seem to have misplaced most of my links.

(stupid autocaps! Anyone knows how to turn that off? Already thoguht I'd done so in the Win settings - Learning curve With the OS, I Guess. Feels like I've been hurdled back to the noob stage )

Anyway, could've been a stupid noob mistake. Saw just now that the files have to be added to two folders, not just one (I skipped the CSconfig folder).

By the way, should I do "update game"? My game has that annoying "tm" in the folder names (and yes, I know you can do regedit, just did, ended up borking something, and my game wouldn't even start - trying to fix that now), but I seem to remember that particular problem was fixed by one of the updates. Is that true, or am I remembering something wrong?
Instructor
#14 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 3:42 PM
I'm not sure about the "tm", issue, editing the registry works for me. Are you deleting the cache after you change the name?

4GB patch link, https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

Also, watch @TheJessaChannel tutorial on how to correctly install the patch and freeing standby memory. You probably know how to do this already, but I'll post it anyway.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 4:17 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd Mar 2019 at 9:29 PM.
*le sigh*

Fixed the reg issue (uninstall/reinstall, made sure the reg keys were reset, though not entirely sure if something else got screwed up). Now the game crashes at opening hoods (With and without the V/G edits), and doesn't seem to want to run at all when applying the 4gb fix.

EDIT: Apparently nothing Works today. What's the easiest/safest way to delete the game registry keys? Can I just delete them from the list in the Regedit, or would that cause issues? Thought of uninstalling, deleting the registry keys, and start all over again. It did work much better before I messed around With the registry, so perhaps something is still off.

It also complains about not finding the audio/sound Device

=== Sound device info ===
Name: Unknown
Driver: Unknown

The "AppErrors" and "AudioErrors" log files seem to generate a bunch of error Messages, too.

EDIT: Tried turning off admin mode + compability, Applied the 4GB fix, and managed to get onto a lot without it crashing (first time!) - but haven't applied graphic fixes yet, so that's next. *crosses fingers and hopes it Works*

Do I have to change the VideoCards and GraphicRules files in both the Config and CSconfig folders? And are there any differences between these two locations?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 9:29 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd Mar 2019 at 10:10 PM.
After a lot of forth and back I can finally go into lots and had some hopes that I was going to say "YAY IT WORKS!".... but then I tried another lot (with a pool) and everything was flashing pink. Of course. Couldn't be that easy….

okay, With a bit of an edit to the Virtual memory, the pink-flashing stopped (for now), but there's some weird issues With the smooth edges being on full, but there still being pixellated edges. Possibly a GraphicRules issue? Or something else?

The config log does say
Memory: 4096MB
Free memory: 4096MB
but
Texture memory: 1744MB

and
uintProp antialiasingQuality 4
Attached files:
File Type: txt  DESKTOP-EJQSTJH-config-log.txt (10.3 KB, 7 downloads)
Inventor
#17 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 10:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
After a lot of forth and back I can finally go into lots and had some hopes that I was going to say "YAY IT WORKS!".... but then I tried another lot (with a pool) and everything was flashing pink. Of course. Couldn't be that easy�.

okay, With a bit of an edit to the Virtual memory, the pink-flashing stopped (for now), but there's some weird issues With the smooth edges being on full, but there still being pixellated edges. Possibly a GraphicRules issue? Or something else?

The config log does say
Memory: 4096MB
Free memory: 4096MB
but
Texture memory: 1744MB

and
uintProp antialiasingQuality 4

As far as I know, smooth edges settings text is written wrongly. Max edge smoothing actually is no edge smoothing, and no edge smooting is actually max, so switch to opposite one.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 24th Mar 2019 at 2:27 PM
Do I fix that in the GraphicRules?
Inventor
#19 Old 24th Mar 2019 at 2:39 PM
Do I fix that in the GraphicRules?

No idea, in-game settings should be enough.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 24th Mar 2019 at 4:26 PM
As far as I know, smooth edges ingame should be at the bottom when turned fully on (was so with my other computers), but that didn't work this time.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 12:15 AM
apologies for not being back earlier! I am not sure if your game is working now? If not, some things (of course you may already know, but just in case):

You should not have problems with registry cleaner stuff with Windows 10.

Remember that the UC runs on the M&G engine, although the icon is found under Fun with Pets - that is where you have to apply the 4GB patch.

I have never removed the tm thingy from my game - and my game has always worked.

Once you have change it (smooth edges), it should stay there. I had to fiddle with settings in Windows myself, but I honestly can't remember exactly what I did; I figured some things out along the way.

The Store Edition will not play nicely with the UC, although there are ways to make it work - I don't know if you have it, but it may help to remove it for now as well.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#22 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 12:50 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Mar 2019 at 1:04 AM.
I did manage to apply the 4GB fix to the SP9 EXE, but I had to turn of all the compability modes (even "run as admin") before running the fix, and the game seemed to work better when all those modes were turned off, since I could finally go into a lot without the game crashing.

Then I got pink-flashing on a different lot, but did some tweaking to the virtual memory suggested in one of the help topics (expanding to 25.000-30.000) and that seems to have fixed it, but I then noticed that the anti-aliasing (smooth edges) wasn't quite there, even if turned on full. Still haven't sorted out that problem yet. That's why I wondered out loud if I had to change something deeper in the game settings than what's ingame. I have set my graphic card to "quality" in the antialiasing setting, but dunno if that's doing anything.

In all, I've gone through two installs and several "fix game", and I've tested several versions of the GraphicRules file, and eventually something seemed to stick to the wall, so I'm trying not to ruin it even further (already did that once, to the point where my game went from crashing when trying to enter a lot, to crashing before the splash screen even started). It's not all fun and games getting a newer and more powerful laptop, I guess... But I know TS2 works now, so I'll eventually get it to run the way I want it to. Just going to take a bit of work and patience.

The "tm" thing isn't a problem with the game itself (because it runs, though I haven't sorted out all the bugs yet) - but I'm a bit worried about getting other programs, such as SimPE and similar, to work. I know that's been an issue for other people. I know about the SimPE 0.75 version Quaxi made (haven't tried it, because the 0.73 version + a GUID fix worked on my old laptop so I saw no reason to switch), so if the 0.73 version doesn't work, I'll probably test out the 0.75 version.

I have no clue whether or not I have the Store Version. I've heard of the so-called "EP99", but I haven't checked if it's present, and I don't know how to remove it, so if anyone has a guide that'd be nice. Also, if anyone knows how to stop Origin from having an endless need of spying on me whenever I play TS2, that would be very nice, too. I don't mind it so much with TS4, but the Origin site keeps popping up every single time I close down TS2, and its annoying (tried editing Origin settings, obviously didn't work).

(I'm on the old laptop today - needed to do some downloading and a little bit of SimPE work, and I have all the links and programs I need on this one, as long as they don't make it crash that is. Still working on the setup and whatnots on the new one, plus I tested out TS4. It's a bit buggy without mods and fixes, but runs like a dream compared to the old laptop. Haven't tested TS3 yet, but did install it).
Forum Resident
#23 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 3:48 AM
Also, if anyone knows how to stop Origin from having an endless need of spying on me whenever I play TS2, that would be very nice, too. I don't mind it so much with TS4, but the Origin site keeps popping up every single time I close down TS2, and its annoying (tried editing Origin settings, obviously didn't work).

You don't have to run TS2 UC from Origin. I haven't logged into Origin to play Sims2 pretty much since the day I installed it.

There's some setting on Origin, I can't remember now what it was, but it says to play TS2 offline or something to that effect. You select that. Then instead of starting the game through Origin, you simply create a shortcut on your desktop to point to the Sims2EP9.exe in the FwP folder.

My shortcut (on Win7) points to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin\Sims2EP9.exe".

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Mad Poster
#24 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 7:56 AM Last edited by Justpetro : 25th Mar 2019 at 8:09 AM.
All programs work with UC, with the exception of the original AGS (Numenor made one, it is one here, because of the M&G engine, you will need to use M&G with the Base Game) - he uploaded it recently.

Windows 10 does need less settings for UC than Windows 7, and personally, using the 4GB patch and the upping the virtual memory were the only things I needed - my game is not in compatibility mode, although I used to run that - there was an Origin update that made Windows 10 and UC working better together.

There is literally a bunch of creators using UC, including big names such as HugeLunatic and Shastakiss, I think? - Quaxi has posted a new version of SimPE on here as well - perhaps somebody can post the link here? Help is definitely available there if you don't get it to work immediately.

The HCDU needs you to copy your game folder and rename it to The Sims 2 (I use that as a backup) in order to run.

I believe the Store Edition - if it is present - could be removed by uninstalling it like any other program from the Control Panel, but I think you would have known if you had it. It should also show up in your Origin Library.

I do not play through Origin either. One can repair the game from there, but it is good to keep in mind that all problems should be handled just like problems with a disk game, because the repair is not going to remove any conflicting cc, etc. A repair will only fix broken game files, will keep your cc intact, as well as your game, and will not put anything back you have removed (eg. bin sims) - but may screw up your graphics again, so that may have to be redone.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 25th Mar 2019 at 10:52 AM
My issues weren't with the current game, but with the installed files, that's the reason for the repairs (some editing of the install files that didn't go as planned).

Origin does keep wanting me to log in when the game pops up, and it pops up after closing down TS2, too. I've already tried making a shortcut to the SP9 file (first thing I tried), but same issue.

When I manage to make the game run as intended, with graphics and all edited and working, I'm planning to take a backup of all the edited files, so Ihave them in case something goes wrong. Because I don't trust Origin or EA to not screw up...
Page 1 of 3