Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Feb 2019 at 5:40 PM
Are these EA guys intentionally stupid or what?
Here I am on February 26th at 9:30 AM Pacific Time ready to throw my hard earned money at EA for Strangerville, a Game Pack of questionable quality.
Doesn't show up in Sim 4 yet, so I went to Origin and click "Strangerville" and it takes you straight to... the Base game.
You know, these EA folk, the want to be praised for participation and not delivery. They're the ones who's dad took 'em to the Little League game and talked 'em up for losing every single game. "Well, you tried!"

Sims are better than us.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Feb 2019 at 6:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
Here I am on February 26th at 9:30 AM Pacific Time ready to throw my hard earned money at EA for Strangerville

The Receptacle still lives!
Inventor
#3 Old 26th Feb 2019 at 7:02 PM
It's a sign. The universe is trying to tell players NOT TO BUY THE WORST GAME PACK EVER MADE.

They're lying to you. This game pack only has 2 hours of boring, linear gameplay. It's a conspiracy. Don't let them trick you... No... NOOOO!!!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Feb 2019 at 7:19 PM
I think you're both right. I may have dodged a bullet. I'll wait until next month when it's on sale for $5. I don't like "solve the puzzle" gameplay. I want to have a sandbox and make something out of it.
Gary's Mod is cheaper. It's a sign...

Sims are better than us.
Scholar
#5 Old 26th Feb 2019 at 7:40 PM
I never thought they could top TS3 Katie Perry’s Sweet Treats stuff pack. But man.... this wins pack wins the prize for worst add-on ever.

The trailer didn’t have a single moment that made me tempted to buy it. WTF? Let’s make a game where sims get sick and spread a smiling disease?? What?

I didn’t even know it existed until I saw people going nuts on a sims discord channel, complaining about the townies in the new town screwed up their gameplay by moving out of town before they got cured or something.

Bleah. Do not want.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Feb 2019 at 8:29 PM
The pack does look a little fun - but I'm guessing it's only fun the first time you play, because the second time you already know the solution to the mystery... Like pretty much all the TS4 additions up until now. They all seem to follow mostly the same pattern for the jobs, puzzles, challenges or whatever (Find, talk to, interact with object, collect some stuff, and do it all over again), so it's not like the gameplay offers something you haven't seen. There are some halfway interesting items and clothes, but not something I'd be interested in paying full price for.

And the mystery? After a couple of weeks someone have probably put a video on Youtube explaining how to solve it, so I'll probably wait for that (since it's free, and I don't have space on my laptop for any new EPs anyway...)
Inventor
#7 Old 26th Feb 2019 at 9:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
And the mystery? After a couple of weeks someone have probably put a video on Youtube explaining how to solve it, so I'll probably wait for that (since it's free, and I don't have space on my laptop for any new EPs anyway...)

The mystery is a joke. I don't want to "spoil" you, but it's super stupid and cliché. Terrible writing. The story is very short (2 hours) and grindy (Search for 15 clues. What clues? Why 15? Just because...) and the final boss, if you call it that, is super predictable and boring. Honestly, I believe this is probably the worst pack ever made in relation to its price. Yes, worse than Katy Perry, My First Pet, etc. At least those packs had some useful items/clothes. This one has awful CAS and Buy items, only Build mode objects (doors and windows) are kinda okay.
Test Subject
#8 Old 26th Feb 2019 at 9:11 PM
I just bought it, not for the gameplay, but for the objects and CAS items. The new world is really lovely and there are nice new animations like snakes and tumble weeds. I am excited to have military careers and those objects to add to the world I was creating on my other boards. This is far from the worst pack ever.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 26th Feb 2019 at 9:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Little.Tart
I just bought it, not for the gameplay, but for the objects and CAS items. The new world is really lovely and there are nice new animations like snakes and tumble weeds. I am excited to have military careers and those objects to add to the world I was creating on my other boards. This is far from the worst pack ever.

Yeah tbh I don't care about the "story" but I want those CAS, world, and build/buy items so I'm getting it anyway tbh.

My simblr
In the name of the Moon, i will right wrongs and triumph over evil, and that means YOU! ❤️
Scholar
#10 Old 26th Feb 2019 at 10:04 PM
I heard Strangerville and tuned out immediately - I haven't looked at any Let's Plays or watched the trailer; it was a no from me instantly... and it seems like my gut instinct was right. If there is no replay value, why waste money and/or time? No thanks...
Mediocre doesn't even describe this drivel.

...Titanium white...
Scholar
#11 Old 26th Feb 2019 at 10:22 PM
Is there any reference at all to Rooster Teeth’s TS2 “Strangerhood” series? If there’s a shirt with a “My name is Wade” sticker.. they MAY get my money.

https://youtu.be/ipNPktZPkVg
Mad Poster
#12 Old 26th Feb 2019 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
... and the final boss, if you call it that, is super predictable and boring...

I found said video, and I get what you mean.

The pack itself proably isn't too shabby, but the whole scenario they put in looks more like a gimmic to sell more. The "adventures" are perhaps a bit too easy, if at times a bit tedious (with all the collecting and repetitive tasks). I often get the feeling the creators behind TS4 are trying (but failing) to be a wannabe adventure game for children/teens instead of a sandbox game for most ages like the Sims genre used to be.
Scholar
#13 Old 27th Feb 2019 at 12:34 AM
Do you have to play the adventure? I was surprised by the world that comes with the pack. It’s pretty big and looks good. But I don’t want to mess with the smiling zombies. But it might be worth buying just for the town and the post apocalyptic theme.

I love zombies, but these smiling doofuses don’t inspire me. I’m hoping someone mods the heck out of the illness and makes “real” zombies.
Scholar
#14 Old 27th Feb 2019 at 3:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
I found said video, and I get what you mean.

The pack itself proably isn't too shabby, but the whole scenario they put in looks more like a gimmic to sell more. The "adventures" are perhaps a bit too easy, if at times a bit tedious (with all the collecting and repetitive tasks). I often get the feeling the creators behind TS4 are trying (but failing) to be a wannabe adventure game for children/teens instead of a sandbox game for most ages like the Sims genre used to be.

So BioWare except for kids and without anyone qualified to write compelling characters?

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 27th Feb 2019 at 4:11 AM
ready to throw my hard earned money at EA for Strangerville

I thought we agreed on something...
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 27th Feb 2019 at 4:24 AM
I'm getting way too accustomed to being ripped off.
We take stupidity and incompetence as an excuse for this kind of thing and we should really hold them accountable.
Not bitter, I'm just learning.
Screenshots

Sims are better than us.
Inventor
#17 Old 27th Feb 2019 at 8:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chax
I'm gonna wait a bit and see if it becomes available. No way I'm spending 20 euros for this pack. I have no self control though.

The only way for the game to get better is if people STOP buying things on impulse. Treat yourself to a nice meal. It's more worth it than packs like this. Wait and get it when it's 50% off.
One Minute Ninja'd
#18 Old 27th Feb 2019 at 11:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chax
Yeah apparently it's been glitchy... (I'm talking about buying the EP)

I wanted to get the game key online but none of the websites I know have it available. Found one that has it listed but it's out of stock, which seems weird to me as other EPs/GPs weren't and were way more expected than this GP...

I'm gonna wait a bit and see if it becomes available. No way I'm spending 20 euros for this pack. I have no self control though.

How can a piece of downloadable software ever be "out of stock"?
Mad Poster
#19 Old 27th Feb 2019 at 12:47 PM
I think you're both right. I may have dodged a bullet. I'll wait until next month when it's on sale for $5. I don't like "solve the puzzle" gameplay. I want to have a sandbox and make something out of it.
Gary's Mod is cheaper. It's a sign...

*Judges you in my mind* Hopefully, you don't buy things you don't like that are part of the integrated core until a sale comes up. Though, I do have respect for you for reconsidering the time to purchase it. I wish you best and good luck to sticking to that. Cheers mate !

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 27th Feb 2019 at 1:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227

That sounds a bit suspicious to me...

I bought the CD version of TS4 and already then I suspected something was off with the game, because the game wouldn't install properly. I had to go via Origin to fix a newly bought game to even get it to work. The one EP I have had the same problem.

I dislike Origin. Every time I've gone to play TS4 it insists on installing a bunch of updates and whatnots (which takes ages), and my laptop doesn't have unlimited space and is already quite full so I want to control what to put on it. Getting free stuff is sometimes nice, but not when it's pushed on you. Which is one of the reasons I haven't played TS4 in 2 years or some such. I dread to think of the humongous update that's waiting when I do eventually start playing again...

I may get some of the expansions eventually - but definitely not at full price.
Instructor
#21 Old 27th Feb 2019 at 2:03 PM
I didn't have any problems downloading it myself, in fact I downloaded it and installed it a quarter of an hour before the announced release time, so what was it that you did wrong?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 27th Feb 2019 at 2:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
*Judges you in my mind* Hopefully, you don't buy things you don't like that are part of the integrated core until a sale comes up. Though, I do have respect for you for reconsidering the time to purchase it. I wish you best and good luck to sticking to that. Cheers mate !

Well, this is embarrassing, considering I posted a picture that proves that I bought it and whines it doesn't work.

Quote: Originally posted by Hamishmc
I didn't have any problems downloading it myself, in fact I downloaded it and installed it a quarter of an hour before the announced release time, so what was it that you did wrong?

I was weak, trusted EA even though all the reviews are bad, and bought it. I can't even find out if it is as bad as the reviewers say because it doesn't work. I'm just too accustomed to being ripped off.

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 27th Feb 2019 at 3:44 PM
Oh. To be frank I haven't read the replies. No biggie, just delete my quote as I will incinerate my comment. You don't deserve my admiration!

And for EA, it needs to be sued thousandfold.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 27th Feb 2019 at 6:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227

And yet Amazon is 'out of stock' on download codes for Paradox games and EPs at least half the time. Drives me nuts.
Instructor
#25 Old 27th Feb 2019 at 7:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
And yet Amazon is 'out of stock' on download codes for Paradox games and EPs at least half the time. Drives me nuts.

Is there some arcane purchasing agreement for number of permitted download codes between Amazon, Game and Origin and Paradox maybe? I never know how these work for e-books and games.
Page 1 of 2