Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Feb 2019 at 1:48 AM
Default What's your game aesthetic?
I feel like, out of all the games, 2 is the easiest to bend to your will.

I like looking at people like poppet's games, bright and cartoony. But I don't know. I feel like in some way that would bring on my depression

So I just make my game look like my world. Lots of warehouses and apartments. So much brick. Gives me an excuse for making everything boxy.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 3rd Feb 2019 at 4:11 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 6th Feb 2019 at 11:58 AM.
Mine is... dollhouse like, I think. They are toys, not always realistic, but not exactly cartoon, either. Miniatures meant to be played with. I actually like things that have slightly toy-like colors or proportions. For instance, not on every lot, but on some really tiny community lots, I actually like the big blue phone because it's like a bigger toy plopped down... like Phoebe's giant dog for Monica's dollhouse.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2019 at 4:14 AM
Mine is also dollhouse, but I also like fantasy elements. Elven ears, wild hair colors appearing as natural, aliens, sometimes necromantic knowledge sims, all in a nicely coordinated world where some alien town members might bring architecture from their home world and others try to blend in to the best of their ability with varying degrees of success. It explains the mishmash of styles I usually have going on lmao

My simblr
In the name of the Moon, i will right wrongs and triumph over evil, and that means YOU! ❤️
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2019 at 6:35 AM
I guess mine is dollhouse as well. I view most of it as upmarket MaxisMatch. So the better meshes, better textures, but still I hope blending in. Less cartoony overall than poppet, but I do use Poppet eyes. My main hood is a beach town so plenty of coloured wood, beach and ocean type decorating but nothing overly bright.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Link Ninja
#5 Old 3rd Feb 2019 at 6:50 AM
Semi-realistic and a variety of types of subhoods. I want a desert, I want a mountainscape, I want semi-tropical, I want a metropolis, and I want small-town charms and the sims in it to look like they belong.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Forum Resident
#6 Old 3rd Feb 2019 at 10:25 AM
Semi-realistic, medieval style with rich purples for the kingdom. Most of my sims are pretty, I have some plain sims too, as well as some drop-dead hideous sims.

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 3rd Feb 2019 at 11:15 AM
This image pretty well sums up the aesthetic of my current neighbourhood:
https://thumbs2.modthesims2.com/img/...18-08-12-21.jpg
Inventor
#8 Old 3rd Feb 2019 at 2:07 PM
As for sims' look, I'm aiming at maxis match/ semi-maxis match style I think, for example like this:
https://i.imgur.com/mkgucaa.png
I want them to actually blend in with npcs, so I'm using hairstyles which have maxis match colours (this yellow blond colour for example), but to look nice still.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 3rd Feb 2019 at 2:40 PM
Semi-realistic with more than a hint of utopian. I try to make it a little bit better than Real Life. I like to do things in my game the way I'd like to see them done in Real Life. Life is still far from perfect, but we like to think we're getting there. Veronaville is a beautiful town; my Sims and I are seeking to build a strong sense of community and to make it a really good place to live.

My Sims are more than toys. They're almost real to me, and I often imagine myself interacting directly with them -- as equals. I love them.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 3rd Feb 2019 at 3:42 PM
I like realism, which is why Maxis makes me pull my hair out. A house they describe as Gothic with Roman columns & Asian furniture is typical. I like to make housing developments (a group of houses) in 1950's style, where the furniture and the people (& their clothes) match the time period. I do the same for my other favorite styles; Oriental, Gothic, Victorian, and very modern. Sometimes the whole hood has to "match" - a desert terrain with aliens & modern/industrial buildings (& inhabitants).

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Scholar
#11 Old 3rd Feb 2019 at 5:51 PM
Desert hoods I leave pretty much as I find them (deserts should be empty, after all), and I had one hood that was meant to be a run-down port, where I placed a railway, a lot of factories, and mostly cheap-looking apartments and lodging houses, as well as the deserted-looking 'decoration' buildings.

Most of my hoods, though, have a rural look, with cheap and expensive houses standing side by side in no particular order, the way it is where I'm currently living. I like to add forests and hedgerows, maybe a barn or a pond, and occasionally I'll add a ruin.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 3rd Feb 2019 at 11:05 PM
I prefer a worn and grungy Maxis-Match aesthetic. Never been fond of the oily skins, photo-realistic pants, or the glossy eyes. From my perspective, no matter how much the creator tries to make them MM, they just don't fit in with the game lighting engine. I tend to slap down pirate woods on almost everything as that's my favourite colour palette and is the most balanced between being realistic but still MM and having the worn and grungy look.

I'm no stranger to putting intricate, but ultimately useless, details into my lots and 'hoods.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#13 Old 4th Feb 2019 at 2:58 AM
Semi-realistic. I figure that if I'm going to play a game, it'd better look pretty and charming-but the pixels are all right-some of them are beautiful, and some are just plain ordinary. But the landscape is to die for! I wanna live in my game! It's so much prettier!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Forum Resident
#14 Old 4th Feb 2019 at 4:31 AM
I would call mine "functional". Every lot starts out with the same one-level floor plan so I can see what every Sim on the lot is doing at any time. The starting floor plan consists of four bedrooms, two baths and a central living/skilling area with at least two doors leading into every room so there are minimal routing problems. As the family matures, I may add pools, greenhouses, rewards rooms, or other necessary additions to the one level. However all in all, it's primarily built for playing so driving down the street, the neighborhoods tend to look a bit like cookie cutter subdivisions just with different exteriors on the homes.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Mad Poster
#15 Old 4th Feb 2019 at 12:42 PM
Now "functional" is a perfect term for me to describe my hood as well

I don't spend time looking at my hood - I also turn the neighbours off. So, yes, my hood is functional.

Having said that - I love Poppet's stuff and have her walls, floors and recolours all over my hood.
Alchemist
#16 Old 4th Feb 2019 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
I would call mine "functional". Every lot starts out with the same one-level floor plan so I can see what every Sim on the lot is doing at any time.

Me, too, like a dollhouse, easily viewed. I usually build with one camera viewpoint in mind and used to never put foundations are second stories. Lately, though, I like short foundations with 2-steps and I build basements and upstairs to put things in that I don't need to watch, like bathtubs. I mean we've all seen the sims in the bathroom, enough already. I let them go up or down to have their bath in peace. I mean, I might give them nice candles and stuff down there, but I don't follow them down to watch.
Scholar
#17 Old 4th Feb 2019 at 7:20 PM
I look upon my Sims 2 as a vast storytelling canvas, which helps lend realism and imagination to the stories I choose to tell my Sims - and those my Sims choose to tell me..

This contrasts with Sims 4, which I see more like a cross between a dollhouse and a virtual pet. Both fun but for different reasons.
Test Subject
#18 Old 8th Feb 2019 at 2:36 PM
Dollhouse, I may say, but I still like to mix in some other stuff as well.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 9:33 PM
Aaaaaaand my aesthetic has changeedddddd!

I work with solely Simlish CC - signs, posters, etc. Bright lighting, kinda Maxis-Matchy but kinda not, lusshhhhhh grass, really pretty :D

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 24th Feb 2019 at 11:14 PM Last edited by HubbaHop : 30th Apr 2019 at 5:31 PM.
Colourful, maxis-matchy, completely different from the dark, dystopian sci-fi-tories I like to write. I also like to make these character as Sims and put them into this happy place of mine, just to know that somewhere they have it better. ^^''

Sorry for my grammar errors - english is not my native language :)
Forum Resident
#21 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 1:13 AM
I like to call my aesthetic semi-realistic but what it basically is: Black brick walls and pale Sims xD (I'm kidding a little but really, if I take picture of a Sim there's like 98,9% chance it will be against black brick wall, I love those) samples: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I like Ephemera's skins and blends of those, more or less realistic eyes and hairs with shiny/not maxisy textures (So Pooklet, Io and oddly enough lately Newsea blended with those). For building (when I rarely build) I use mixture of more maxis match content and more realistic custom content but try to avoid things with real text. Oh and black brick walls, let's not forget the key point in my designs xD
Alchemist
#22 Old 25th Feb 2019 at 6:52 AM
I prefer a semi-realistic look, somewhat worn, not overly-coloured. That goes for sims and buildings! No neon hairs for me. I like furniture looking slightly foxed round the edges, but I don't need grunge - too depressing. I want my game to look nice without me having to micro-manage every last thing. I use a lot of defaults to improve on EA's sim-bits, so I almost never alter a sim's clothing, face etc. I prefer to spend my time building or playing. My hoods tend towards rural/small town environments, and are often fairly empty as I am usually starting from some kind of challenge. I build a lot of tiny lots. 2x2 is plenty for me, and 3x3 (if I have to use one) leaves me wondering what on earth to fill it with.

I am a builder, so I generally build everything from scratch according to the look I want. I get interested in a particular style, do a chunk of research, find images and use those as a base.

My current hood is based on a New Orleans/Southern vibe, although I haven't been there much lately - wanted custom subhoods to use as the hood grows, so I have been making Far East, Mountain and Uni hoods, all in different styles, and all with very little CC. I just uploaded the Mountain destination if you want a look. I'll be glad when the Uni hood is finished - the architecture is a bit too modern for my tastes, and the buildings much larger than I like to play on a daily basis. Also, I miss my CC!
Helptato
#23 Old 5th Mar 2019 at 8:37 PM
I like Maxis Match CC for hair/skins/eyes and clothing, mixing in some more semi realistic skins and hair occasionally. New houses in my hoods often have big picture windows at the front with brick or siding, often built with neutral coloured walls and wood floors so my Sims can change to their own tastes. I find my building style often reflects houses I see often where I live, mixed in with a suburban style. Kind of hard to describe. My houses also tend towards the smaller style. Decorating wise I again like Maxis Match.

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 7:52 PM
Everything I do tends to turn out sort of idealized small town America-ish. Think Main Street Disney: semi-rural, everything pretty, brightly colored, no apartments, no trash piled up, no slums, etc. I mix realistic and Maxis match with impunity--If I like it, it goes in my game. That's how my fifties and prairie games are, and if I ever did an Apocalypse hood, it would probably turn out the same way. I get enough gritty reality in real life.
Alchemist
#25 Old 6th Mar 2019 at 8:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by quycksylver
Everything I do tends to turn out sort of idealized small town America-ish. Think Main Street Disney: semi-rural, everything pretty, brightly colored, no apartments, no trash piled up, no slums, etc. I mix realistic and Maxis match with impunity--If I like it, it goes in my game. That's how my fifties and prairie games are, and if I ever did an Apocalypse hood, it would probably turn out the same way. I get enough gritty reality in real life.

What's a prairie game?
Page 1 of 2