Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 6:00 AM
Not guiltless maybe, but most of it can be fixed by mods, so if you don't do stupid stuff your game will pretty much be safe.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 6:27 AM
And starting a hood, and seeing it grow to more than 200 families with 3 or 4 generations alive - that is the part that is probably not even possible with sims 3 and 4. Although that may make it easier for the game to screw up something too.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 6:45 AM
I can roll with ts2's corruption most of times but just can't bear ts3 and ts4's. For me, ts3's are freakish and ts4's are lame.

Hi. I'm Caren but you can also call me Beau. I luv sims since I was born.
I GOT A YOUTUBE(Eng sub provided) : YOUTUBE
You can find my ts2&ts4 pre-mades' stories here: Blog(korean)
Not very active on the tumblr now but: Tumblr
I can be found at Discord channels dedicated to ts2.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#29 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 6:52 AM
Sims 2 definitely plays better than 3 vanilla. Unless you move in and make a universal sim selectable it will continue to play, what I had with 3 made it unplayable.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#30 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 7:01 PM
I think TS3 is the worst-optimized game I've ever seen.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#31 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 8:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
I think TS3 is the worst-optimized game I've ever seen.

Um sorry, but can you be more specific? I'm interested to know if TS3 is worth playing or not.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 9:39 PM
It's a fun game (nowhere near as good as TS2), but it runs really horribly even on gaming computers.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Top Secret Researcher
#33 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 12:09 AM
Runs fine on mine... It's just what kind of luck you have and do mods help you or not. I needed only two mods to make my sims 3 completely playable.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#34 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 12:44 AM
Well I am running Sims 2 on Window 7 64 bit, I don't know what I will do when window stop giving updates.
I am not sure if Sims 2 can or even run well on Window 10, I do know I am not a fan of Window 10 set up, when it first came out window offer a free up load to get it.
I said No Way only because I was thinking how do I know if my Sims 2 can work fine on Window 10 system. I don't know what to do if they completely shut out of window 7.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#35 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 1:38 AM
First, you don't have to give up playing a game because the OS is old. I was playing the game on XP until about 4 years ago,(after they'd stopped supporting it) and I had to be dragged kicking and screaming from it.
I could have kept playing it on XP to this day. As long as you understand the security risks you take when you're using a unsupported OS for Internet, (and take all available precautions) you should be fine playing it on Win 7 for a very long time.
Win 10 is too much 'big brother' and has a lot of problems. Even Microsoft will admit it, because they've had some very serious technical problems with their updates and had to fix those immediately before they became real issues. I refuse to have it in my computer because if the company can't get it right the first time, there's no way I'll trust it on my rig.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Scholar
#36 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 2:27 AM
I think that 90% of corruption in TS2 could be easily solved if Maxis would remove the 'delete family' button and any attempts to move occupied lots into the bin.

Although I don't agree that deleting families from the bin causes corruption, if you want the delete button gone then this'll get rid of it for you.
CJH_NoDeleteFromFamilyBin.zip (Pets EP or higher required)
Field Researcher
#37 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 11:10 PM
I think that 90% of corruption in TS2 could be easily solved if Maxis would remove the 'delete family' button and any attempts to move occupied lots into the bin.

My thoughts why Maxis decide to create this button:

The Sims 2 has a limit of 32-36k characters on the world(main neighbourhood, sub-districts, vacations, secret districts). Everything is counted: living, dead, dogs, cats, supernatural creatures. And when a sim dies, the number of sims in the world does not decrease. This number always increase, because generates new NPC`s. And if the number is greater then the town starts to have problems.

I think the developers wanted this way reduce the number of characters in the world. But 32k is big number of characters.

But Sims 3 starts having problems with saving when there are more than 150 characters in the world.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 11:40 PM
The limit was far smaller in the earlier EPs. A couple of thousand, I believe.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#39 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 12:15 AM
I think it was less than that- I remember my game being locked in perpetual jump bug mode after only a few weeks, so it was probably a few hundred.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 1:00 AM
I got the Sims 2 for Windows and Mac in 2000s and in the Mac version, it has some animation jump bug and the error dialog pops up and it's arrogant in the base game. and when I Brought the expansions it's became fine. it's has some animation currupt jump bug at the beginning and the rest fine.

I am truly a Sim Fan
Not a Warcraft or a Civilization,
I am truly a Sim Fan

ttp://www.missingstudios.com/ms/signaturegenerator/finished/mysig_801995495.jpg
Mad Poster
#41 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 1:07 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 8th Jan 2019 at 1:19 AM.
^ Animation jump bugs and error dialogs tend to be caused by incompatible CC (with another CC item or with your EP/SP combination). If you had CC that needed a higher EP, and then added that EP, the problem would most likely go away. Then again, the Mac version could have some bugs the regular version doesn't have.

I remember back when I installed a new EPs (Pets, I think), and suddenly there were jump bugs everywhere, and all the sims were unplayable. Turned out I had an old version of the Insimenator. Fixed that, and the jump bugs went away. And then there were the odd crashes I kept having a few years back, where I couldn't access various lots and one of the buy menus. Also turned out to be a bad CC item (sorted out with a 50/50 search).

I've had some odd bugs here and there that probably weren't CC-related, but most of them happened once, and some of them were accidents-in-waiting. Like when I lost a sim because I used the magisplay tray as an OMSP (bad idea), or when a sim who was having twins got stuck in an endless giving birth loop (may have happened on a couple of instances, though) - but nothing like the bug infestation of TS3 in almost all the saved games I had...
Field Researcher
#42 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 2:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Because of the memory system they remember some of what they've done (they remember they've lost a family member, for instance - and the wants panel reflects their personality. If they've been in a fire, they fear fire. If they're romance sims they may fear having kids. Basically, their personality chooses what they want and fear, and usually does so better than moodlets in TS3 and 4).

I love this about the game. All the events that happen in their lives feel like they actually influence a sim's desires and fears, just like real people.

The moodlet thing was messy imo. Putting in moodlets and dictating personality with a set number of traits makes it much easier to create characters, but I really struggle to make real feeling sims that actually have individual personalities I can understand. For me, a lot of the appeal of making my own sims is watching them grow and go through life events that shape their path, and getting a feel for how each personality would react in a certain situation. Nothing draws me in to actually play as or take care of the sims I've made in TS3 or TS4 in the same way.

To stay on topic - the memories are probably the main offender when it comes to corruption, but I think they're one of the best parts of TS2 and part of why I love it so much.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 3:11 AM
Corruption comes in many forms and ways in Sims 2.
I found out one the hard way when I put beds into inventory-not realizing that they are the most culpable suspects when it comes to jump bugs. It took me forever to figure out that you never save the bed, and if it starts flashing blue, delete it and get a new one-because its' coding has gone haywire.
How I suffered from that problem for so long! I learned that solution for the problem and have never done that again. Always delete the beds...

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Mad Poster
#44 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 8:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chris Hatch
Although I don't agree that deleting families from the bin causes corruption . . .
That brought me up with a jolt. I thought it was received wisdom throughout the Sims 2 community that deleting Sims from the Family Bn was a Very Bad Thing. But you are probably one of the most knowledgeable TS2 modders active today, and you don't agree? Can you elaborate?

I'd love to think that deleting Sims from the bin isn't a Very Bad Thing after all. Because it's the only VBT that I know that I've done. (And I did it at a time when I should have known better.) I deleted two Sims that I'd just made because I'd forgotten to make them sisters before saving them in CAS. It didn't "feel" like really deleting Sims -- it felt more like just aborting the last step before redoing it properly. But, as I saw when I got SimPE, it left me with two unlinked Sims in the characters folder. (To add to the fifty-plus unlinked Sims put there by Maxis!) I hope you're right because, if you are, it makes my beloved Veronaville a little bit safer than I thought it was.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#45 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 8:55 AM
Well, Mootilda did believe it caused corruption so I am going with her on this.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#46 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 10:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
I am not sure if Sims 2 can or even run well on Window 10...

@Simonut I had exactly the same worries. I've been running on 10 for a while now, though, and haven't seen any problems. It definitely takes some fiddling to get it running right (screen resolution and so forth), but if you decide that you can live with 10, I think you'll be okay game-wise.
Mad Poster
#47 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 11:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Corruption comes in many forms and ways in Sims 2.
I found out one the hard way when I put beds into inventory-not realizing that they are the most culpable suspects when it comes to jump bugs. It took me forever to figure out that you never save the bed, and if it starts flashing blue, delete it and get a new one-because its' coding has gone haywire.
How I suffered from that problem for so long! I learned that solution for the problem and have never done that again. Always delete the beds...

That's not really corruption, though. It's just a glitch caused by the weird bed ownership system. (Twojeff's Smart Beds can fix that, for future reference.)

Mad Poster
#48 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 11:41 AM
Oh, I use the Smart Beds system! It's a game saver, for sure.

Scholar
#49 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 12:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
That brought me up with a jolt. I thought it was received wisdom throughout the Sims 2 community that deleting Sims from the Family Bn was a Very Bad Thing. But you are probably one of the most knowledgeable TS2 modders active today, and you don't agree? Can you elaborate?

I'd love to think that deleting Sims from the bin isn't a Very Bad Thing after all. Because it's the only VBT that I know that I've done. (And I did it at a time when I should have known better.) I deleted two Sims that I'd just made because I'd forgotten to make them sisters before saving them in CAS. It didn't "feel" like really deleting Sims -- it felt more like just aborting the last step before redoing it properly. But, as I saw when I got SimPE, it left me with two unlinked Sims in the characters folder. (To add to the fifty-plus unlinked Sims put there by Maxis!) I hope you're right because, if you are, it makes my beloved Veronaville a little bit safer than I thought it was.

When you delete a family from the bin the sims are removed from the family and unlinked. That is their character file is stripped of 3D recourses and their object type is changed from type sim (0x0002) to type unlinked sim (0x0011) so they can never be used as a sim in the game (and can't be recovered). Their GUID and Neighbour ID remain valid and all data pertinent to them like memories and relationships etc. remains valid. Unlinked sims are still sims, never delete them as deleting any sim can corrupt a neighbourhood.

It is messy though, you now have two sims taking up the same resources in the neighbourhood as if they were live sims so you would have been better off making them into townies and get some benefit from the resources they use.
Mad Poster
#50 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 1:01 PM
With what were you disagreeing on about exactly?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Page 2 of 4