Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 1382
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 317 (Who?), Viewed: 25166 times.
Search this Thread
Old 24th Jul 2018, 11:45 PM #26
BlackjackGabbiani
Forum Resident

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 846


This may be a bit off topic but it's Sims related. Why people consider EA to be the worst company in America. They may nickel and dime people to the point of highway robbery but they're not ordering hits on whistleblowers or destroying the environment or supporting bigoted politicians or anything like that. Compared to that, EA is relatively mild.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 12:20 AM #27
nitromon
Mad Poster

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,362
Thanks: 514 in 20 Posts
7 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackGabbiani
This may be a bit off topic but it's Sims related. Why people consider EA to be the worst company in America. They may nickel and dime people to the point of highway robbery but they're not ordering hits on whistleblowers or destroying the environment or supporting bigoted politicians or anything like that. Compared to that, EA is relatively mild.


That's because the EA's grand title of "worst company in the America" back to back 2012-2013 was from a "consumer" report. It means it was evaluated as worst company by "economic standards." This has nothing to do with political feelings.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 1:29 AM #28
Jathom95
Original Poster

Field Researcher

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 223


Well internally they're no saints either I'd imagine. I would absolutely hate working for any studio under EA knowing that the constant threat of being shutdown was looming over me for one slip up. Was sad to hear Visceral was the latest on their chopping block a little while back.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 2:51 AM #29
BlackjackGabbiani
Forum Resident

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 846


Yeah but the studios continue to sell out to them knowing their history, so it's partly on them for accepting the offers.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 3:08 AM #30
Jathom95
Original Poster

Field Researcher

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 223


Well, a lot of times they don't have much of a choice but to accept it. Some might be in a position where they'd be going under anyway. Some are bought out directly, like what happened with BioWare and Pandemic. I mean, they are given fairly good resources depending on the studio, that's not really the core problem anyway. The problem is EA sticks by their mantra of maximum profit or bust to a fault, and that usually means studios get the bare minimum they need in a lot of cases to get a working game out the door, because EA "needs" the return from the game's profits. Perform under expectations? You've broken rule #1, don't make them lose money. It's not an exaggeration, they do it all the time.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 4:35 AM #31
daisylee
Top Secret Researcher

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,809


And another thread has turned into the EA bash. Would love to see at least a few threads not morph into that here. But maybe I am hoping for too much.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 5:40 AM #32
Jathom95
Original Poster

Field Researcher

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 223


What makes you say so? It's just stating facts.

Look, I'm not one for sitting around and proclaiming "down with EA!" all day, but I think too often people forget to separate the studio with the company heads. I don't hold contempt towards Maxis for the direction The Sims is going (as in severely underfunded among other things), they are probably working the best they can with what they are given. But, at the end of the day, EA owns them. They are EA. And in the end, they will do whatever they please. If that calls for ending The Sims franchise as a whole because it starts losing them money, then they will do it.

I think the topic has focused on EA itself long enough anyway. Let's try to get it back on track.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Last edited by Jathom95 : 25th Jul 2018 at 6:11 AM.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 7:18 AM #33
daisylee
Top Secret Researcher

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,809


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95
I think the topic has focused on EA itself long enough anyway. Let's try to get it back on track.


That is my point. Way too many threads here IMO derail to EA. It was said elsewhere, maybe as folks are bored? There is very little interest in 4 on this site, and 3 is old enough there is not much of anything that has not been discussed before into the ground years ago, so folks just almost reflex back to let's bash EA? I guess I should be used to it by now? But I find it to be sad.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 8:55 AM
AGuyCalledPi
This message has been deleted by HugeLunatic. Reason: off topic
Old 25th Jul 2018, 9:26 AM
Gargoyle Cat
This message has been deleted by HugeLunatic. Reason: off topic
Old 25th Jul 2018, 9:50 AM
AGuyCalledPi
This message has been deleted by HugeLunatic. Reason: off topic
Old 25th Jul 2018, 10:11 AM
Gargoyle Cat
This message has been deleted by HugeLunatic. Reason: off topic
Old 25th Jul 2018, 11:15 AM
Elynda
This message has been deleted by Elynda. Reason: Nah, think I'll sit this one out.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 12:56 PM #34
Jathom95
Original Poster

Field Researcher

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 223


...Annyway, in the interest of preserving the thread's original intent, I'll throw another one out there. So, I've actually heard people say that they think Sims 3 worlds are ugly and boring, just like the Sims themselves. Can anyone fill me in on that one? 'Cause I'm sure not seeing it. For a game released in 2009, I think the worlds are absolutely great.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 1:04 PM #35
AGuyCalledPi
Mad Poster

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,988
Thanks: 680 in 8 Posts
7 Achievements


Well any open world game is going to look less detailed than something small-scale. Nowadays the difference is minor, but the more modular a game world is, the more obvious it'll be. TS3 worlds are relatively sparse compared to, say, TS4's. Just look at the roads, there's only 2-lane roads. They're always the same width. Intersections are only possible when perpendicular. Lots cannot join wall to wall. And the intensity of the game simulation makes it impossible to have a bigger amount of people in one world than, basically, the team that developed TS3.

So yes there are severe limitations (speaking of limitations, did someone just call me an SJW and actually believe it? Fucking lol) but all in all I believe they did a pretty good job. Worlds can certainly look gorgeous in TS3.

Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88 - it's the hottest new show on YT this season!
Already renewed for '89!

(Oh, and join my dumb Discord server for more on that or if you like dead things, my Tumblr.)
Old 25th Jul 2018, 1:13 PM
ElaineNualla
This message has been deleted by HugeLunatic. Reason: off topic
Old 25th Jul 2018, 1:21 PM #36
Jathom95
Original Poster

Field Researcher

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 223


Yes, but the comments I've heard were always along the lines of the worlds themselves (think straight up aesthetics) were ugly and saying there was nothing to do in those worlds. Pulling from one of igazor's earlier comments, it's like seriously, do these people just sit there and wait for something interesting to happen? And if they still think so after playing longer than 5 minutes, well then I guess I'll just keep enjoying my ugly, sparse worlds with nothing to do.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 1:43 PM #37
AGuyCalledPi
Mad Poster

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,988
Thanks: 680 in 8 Posts
7 Achievements


I like the "nothing to do" part of it. Like bitch, you can go to the park or the gym or the library, you can go shopping, you can go watch the fireworks being set off on the beach and you can go steal a car in the mall parking lot. Last time I checked, you can't do any of those things in other Sims games. All you can do in TS4 is collect bugs and watch people do pushups in the middle of the street.

Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88 - it's the hottest new show on YT this season!
Already renewed for '89!

(Oh, and join my dumb Discord server for more on that or if you like dead things, my Tumblr.)
Old 25th Jul 2018, 1:46 PM #38
simsample
Edge Of Darkness



Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 20,603
Thanks: 8999 in 34 Posts
19 Achievements

View My Journal



I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH
***Sims File Share- ask me for a code***
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
If you are looking for files from old websites the Internet Archive is your best friend.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 1:57 PM #39
HCAC
Theorist

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,118
Thanks: 3471 in 61 Posts
14 Achievements

View My Journal


In 2018 people have little to complain about with Sims 3. Alright, the game is still buggy but thanks to the community, most of that has been repaired by mods and CC.

Something I do not understand:
I've heard any guy who plays Sims 3 must be gay (how's that for a can of worms to deflect off the EA debate?) First off, how does a game have anything to do with "sexual preference?" Let me see, guys who dress up their Sims in cute clothes are gay..? I guess every person who plays shooter games is a killer in real life..? How do you guys (men here) feel about this stupid stereotype (Sim guys are all gay) going around for years? I don't get it. I suppose it's the old "I have no interest in your game" so why shouldn't I run it down because REAL MEN should be out playing Call of Duty or something.

I miss my beloved dog so much. RIP LUNA 12/17/18
Old 25th Jul 2018, 1:57 PM #40
Jathom95
Original Poster

Field Researcher

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 223


Quote:
Originally Posted by GrijzePilion
...and watch people do pushups in the middle of the street.

Ugh, don't remind me. Migraine inducing. It would be fine if they just did it at home or the gym, but this is how it typically played out for me. Two Sims walking down the street "Hi, how are you! Oh, wait. Just a minute. *gets on ground* HMM HMMPH HMM HMMPH HMM HMMPH! Wow what a great workout! Ok, well sul sul!" Other Sim: WAIT! I WASN'T FINISHED... so is that a no for the dinner reservations on Friday?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCAC
I've heard any guy who plays Sims 3 must be gay (how's that for a can of worms to deflect off the EA debate?) First off, how does a game have anything to do with "sexual preference?" Let me see, guys who dress up their Sims in cute clothes are gay..? I guess every person who plays shooter games is a killer in real life..? How do you guys (men here) feel about this stupid stereotype (Sim guys are all gay) going around for years? I don't get it. I suppose it's the old "I have no interest in your game" so why shouldn't I run it down because REAL MEN should be out playing Call of Duty or something.

It's mostly because gaming as a whole has become a mainstream hobby, everyone and their mother plays something now. People forget that 15 years ago and before that time that gaming was considered a niche hobby that was only for nerds. Stuff like your post is just collateral damage for how widespread it's become. In short, it's like anything else. Like how men aren't "supposed" to figure skate because it's a "womens" sport.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Last edited by Jathom95 : 25th Jul 2018 at 2:18 PM.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 2:13 PM #41
AGuyCalledPi
Mad Poster

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,988
Thanks: 680 in 8 Posts
7 Achievements


Quote:
Originally Posted by HCAC
I've heard any guy who plays Sims 3 must be gay (how's that for a can of worms to deflect off the EA debate?) First off, how does a game have anything to do with "sexual preference?" Let me see, guys who dress up their Sims in cute clothes are gay..? I guess every person who plays shooter games is a killer in real life..? How do you guys (men here) feel about this stupid stereotype (Sim guys are all gay) going around for years? I don't get it. I suppose it's the old "I have no interest in your game" so why shouldn't I run it down because REAL MEN should be out playing Call of Duty or something.

Well I think it's ironic because yeah, Sim men do tend to be quite effeminate. It's annoyed me at times (which would make me a hypocrite) but the idea that Sim games are for little girls is laughable.
What I will say, however, is that I can count the amount of YouTubers who play TS3, who I relate to, can be counted on one hand. Twice. And I don't really like either of them that much. I gifted the base game to a streamer friend of mine, and I think he's going to play it soon, and he'll make it fun I imagine, but as far as YouTube goes I'll have to make my own fun.

Generally the rule is that if someone opens their video by shouting "Heyyyyy guys" and goes for more than 10-15 minutes without a good old bout of proper, good profanity, they've lost me.

Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88 - it's the hottest new show on YT this season!
Already renewed for '89!

(Oh, and join my dumb Discord server for more on that or if you like dead things, my Tumblr.)
Old 25th Jul 2018, 2:52 PM #42
HCAC
Theorist

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,118
Thanks: 3471 in 61 Posts
14 Achievements

View My Journal


Quote:
Originally Posted by GrijzePilion
Generally the rule is that if someone opens their video by shouting "Heyyyyy guys" and goes for more than 10-15 minutes without a good old bout of proper, good profanity, they've lost me.


Well, I'd say most Youtubers intro like this (if they are youngish). Older ones say "Hello Friends..."

I rarely watch "Let's Play" myself. It's just not my thing.

I miss my beloved dog so much. RIP LUNA 12/17/18
Old 25th Jul 2018, 2:58 PM #43
ElaineNualla
Forum Resident

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 804
Thanks: 96 in 2 Posts
2 Achievements


yeah, the "Sims (in general) are phefff girly games, the *real man* plays real things" (it's still PG13?) attitude

Fox-Lambert (A)RL
hiatus 'till the life run again in the normal-abnormal way
favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Old 25th Jul 2018, 3:03 PM #44
AGuyCalledPi
Mad Poster

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,988
Thanks: 680 in 8 Posts
7 Achievements


Oh come on, watch one LifeSimmer video and get back to me. I don't believe anyone can be that energetic and/or excitable.
Now personally, start my videos without a greeting, but before I start recording my voiceovers I usually mumble something along the lines of "Well, let's fucken' do this shit and get it over with".....then I make a feeble attempt to stop procrastinating, and then I record my medicore voiceover. I have the ADHD thingy, and yet I'm permanently done with life's shit. Might be the weather, I reckon, but I can really only applaud anyone who has enough energy to be that annoying.

Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88 - it's the hottest new show on YT this season!
Already renewed for '89!

(Oh, and join my dumb Discord server for more on that or if you like dead things, my Tumblr.)
Old 25th Jul 2018, 3:18 PM #45
Jathom95
Original Poster

Field Researcher

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 223


Now I'm tempted to start my own Sims channel and have my intro be like a 1900s era presidential speech or something. "Good evening, my fellow SimNationers. It's that time, once again..."

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 3:25 PM #46
Elynda
Inventor

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,000
1 Achievements


Oh some people, often (but not always) insecure heterosexual men, always have a list of reasons some other guy must be gay, which they regularly update. Not necessarily those who are homophobic either, just guys who are too fond of stereotyping people. All such 'reasons' are complete nonsense, or course. Playing Sims is a new one on me, but it's hardly surprising: it is basically playing with dolls after all.

It's been said that General Lord Kitchener was gay, for no other reason than that his hobby was flower arranging. But I'll bet you that, like anyone who is really passionate about a hobby or an interest, he didn't give a rats ass what anybody thought.

Simblr: Elyndaworld * Live Journal: Elandaer
Old 25th Jul 2018, 4:11 PM #47
AGuyCalledPi
Mad Poster

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,988
Thanks: 680 in 8 Posts
7 Achievements


I don't get people with fragile sexualities. Why would anyone bother with that? It's a choice! I like women, I like them a lot, and I like some men. I look and act and behave like someone who likes women as well as certain men, as far as stereotyping goes, and I'm 100% fine with that.

Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88 - it's the hottest new show on YT this season!
Already renewed for '89!

(Oh, and join my dumb Discord server for more on that or if you like dead things, my Tumblr.)
Old 25th Jul 2018, 4:50 PM #48
Jathom95
Original Poster

Field Researcher

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 223


Quote:
Originally Posted by GrijzePilion
I don't get people with fragile sexualities. Why would anyone bother with that? It's a choice! I like women, I like them a lot, and I like some men. I look and act and behave like someone who likes women as well as certain men, as far as stereotyping goes, and I'm 100% fine with that.

In my case it was always more of a lack of confidence in meeting new people. What are they like? What do I say? Breaking the ice is tough anyway. Didn't help that I was laughed at constantly growing up for literally no other reason than to make me seem completely stupid. Somehow I still turned out to be a nice person (on good days, heh). But despite it all, I'm definitely much more confident than I used to be, though whether people like me or find me irritating remains up for debate. Ha.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 5:12 PM #49
daisylee
Top Secret Researcher

Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,809


Confidence can come with age. Way back when I would not speak up in classes when at school, or meetings when first working. The older I got the more open I was. One thing that helped is I did Toastmasters for a few years, so even doing presentations then did not bother me. I had to travel in business and head out to meet and make presentations to agents I had never met in person. I had no problem doing that and liked it. Also, the older you get the more you care less about what others think. You are who you are and know that. You are more comfortable in your own skin, which is good as we really have no choice about it.
Old 25th Jul 2018, 5:18 PM #50
lakme
Instructor

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 539


One argument I agreed with about EA as the worst company in America is that, yes, they make video games. Their whole purpose is fun and entertainment. So it's actually worse when they screw consumers over because they hold no other purpose than to bring joy into our lives.
Reply


Section jump:


Powered by MariaDB Some icons by http://dryicons.com.