Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 3:48 AM
Default Creating Outfit For Custom Career?
I'd liek to create a couple of costume outfits for use in my custom career. Is this possible? Does it have to be 1 full outfit or a top and a bottom and shoes hair, whatever?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 29th Apr 2018 at 8:08 AM
Here's a tutorial on how to make custom outfits for careers.

If you have Nraas MasterController, when right-clicking on a CAS part the mod will display a notification window with information on that part. The information will also be in a "ScriptError" file in your The Sims 3 folder. That way you'll have the CASP Id and it can also help you find the right parts for your outfit.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Apr 2018 at 5:38 AM Last edited by t888 : 1st May 2018 at 7:08 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Blyss
Here's a tutorial on how to make custom outfits for careers.

If you have Nraas MasterController, when right-clicking on a CAS part the mod will display a notification window with information on that part. The information will also be in a "ScriptError" file in your The Sims 3 folder. That way you'll have the CASP Id and it can also help you find the right parts for your outfit.

Looks like I got an outfit, so thanks.
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st May 2018 at 4:35 AM Last edited by t888 : 1st May 2018 at 7:09 AM.
I made a new version of an outfit in tsrw and changed the pattern it uses and added an overlay/logo but in the game it still only shows up as a regular blue air force uniform (minus the hat like I wanted). What did I do wrong? Can someone help me get the variation I want?
Instructor
#5 Old 1st May 2018 at 9:07 AM
Hmm, when you say a new version, do you mean you added a new preset or you changed the main preset of the outfit?
Did you make sure you changed the CASP your outfit is using to the one of the new outfit and/or the right preset? Or maybe a simple cache clearing will do the trick?
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd May 2018 at 3:53 AM
Hmm, when you say a new version, do you mean you added a new preset or you changed the main preset of the outfit?
Did you make sure you changed the CASP your outfit is using to the one of the new outfit and/or the right preset? Or maybe a simple cache clearing will do the trick?

I changed the main preset of the outfit and deleted any others in TSRW and still got the result. Do you mean change it like in my custom career file? I did do that.

I tried fresh in CTU with the 2 different CASPs and got... an entirely different set for some reason even though it looked exactly how I wanted in CTU. I just don't get what I'm doing wrong! All I know is my first result was closer being the outfit without the hat but not my coloring or overlay than the 2nd's wrong outfit
Instructor
#7 Old 2nd May 2018 at 6:26 PM
I actually meant, did you export the CASP file from the new outfit you created in TSRW and then made sure it was the one used in the SIMO editor program?
Have you tried making a SIMO from scratch? Giving it a new name and all that?

I don't dabbled in custom careers so I'm not sure what could be the problem, I'm just making hypotheses.
Maybe you can also post a step-by-step of what you did and we can try and see if we find anything?
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd May 2018 at 9:38 PM Last edited by t888 : 3rd May 2018 at 2:11 AM.
I actually meant, did you export the CASP file from the new outfit you created in TSRW and then made sure it was the one used in the SIMO editor program?
Have you tried making a SIMO from scratch? Giving it a new name and all that?

I don't dabbled in custom careers so I'm not sure what could be the problem, I'm just making hypotheses.
Maybe you can also post a step-by-step of what you did and we can try and see if we find anything?

Oh, no I didn't do that. I guess I can try that.

I tried making it from scratch in CTU and then importing it. Thats how its supposed to be done isn't it? Or am I totally doing it all wrong? I ask cause that one looked in the preview EXACTLY as I wanted, in-game I got something else entirely, I mean a whole separate outfit!
Instructor
#9 Old 3rd May 2018 at 5:55 AM
I think whatever program you use to edit your outfit (preset, overlay, etc.) shouldn't matter.

The only thing you should be aware of is that when you edit a game outfit in CTU it will create a default replacement of that outfit (if you didn't open a cloned package that is).
If you use TSRW, you'll create a clone that's going to be a complete separate outfit from the original outfit you edited.

Now what I would do is:
1) Edit the outfit (CTU or TSRW)
2) Save the outfit as package
3) Open it in S3PE, select the CASP file and Export to file
4) Open the SIMO editor, give a new name for that outfit
5) Add CAS Parts/add from CASP file, select the CASP file that was just exported
6) Do that for every other parts (shoes, hair, etc.)
7) Write outfit file

Your outfit should be done.
Now when you have to edit your career file so the name of that outfit is referenced.
Don't forget to import the SIMO to your career package.
And don't forget to add the package of the outfit you edited to the game either.

Now, I didn't test in game, but that should be all the steps?
Do you think there was something you missed somewhere?
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd May 2018 at 6:06 AM
I think whatever program you use to edit your outfit (preset, overlay, etc.) shouldn't matter.

The only thing you should be aware of is that when you edit a game outfit in CTU it will create a default replacement of that outfit (if you didn't open a cloned package that is).
If you use TSRW, you'll create a clone that's going to be a complete separate outfit from the original outfit you edited.

Now what I would do is:
1) Edit the outfit (CTU or TSRW)
2) Save the outfit as package
3) Open it in S3PE, select the CASP file and Export to file
4) Open the SIMO editor, give a new name for that outfit
5) Add CAS Parts/add from CASP file, select the CASP file that was just exported
6) Do that for every other parts (shoes, hair, etc.)
7) Write outfit file

Your outfit should be done.
Now when you have to edit your career file so the name of that outfit is referenced.
Don't forget to import the SIMO to your career package.
And don't forget to add the package of the outfit you edited to the game either.

Now, I didn't test in game, but that should be all the steps?
Do you think there was something you missed somewhere?

I think I figured it out, I'll have to try again when I can (I'm having a emotional difficulty right now and sometimes I just can't think straight). When you laid it all out like that, it clicked. the last step 'And don't forget to add the package of the outfit you edited to the game either.' If you mean the package like I made containing the books and fullbody uniform in TSRW like I think then thats the problem, I DID forget! Is it possible to merge the files from the outfit and the shoes into the career file so its less files?
Instructor
#11 Old 3rd May 2018 at 5:56 PM
Good! Let us know if that was why you didn't get the intended result.

You should be able to merge the new outfit you created, the SIMO file and your career file without any problem.
However keep separate copies, just in case. ; )
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 3rd May 2018 at 7:43 PM

You should be able to merge the new outfit you created, the SIMO file and your career file without any problem.

Sound advice, I'l let you know after I can try it again.
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th May 2018 at 12:23 PM

Well, I tried from a TSRW file and still got an entirely different outfit! I have no idea whats going on there.
Instructor
#14 Old 5th May 2018 at 1:49 AM
Hmm, so I went ahead and made a test myself in game, with a custom career.

I added a male outfit for the level 1 of this career and I used a modified outfit I made with TSRW (only changed one preset for both top and bottom), following the different steps from the tutorial (and the ones I posted previously).
When my sim got into the career, he changed into the exact outfit I created using the SIMO editor program.

I'm really not sure what could be the issue if you're doing exactly those same steps?
If you still don't get the intended result and can't pinpoint the problem, I would also be willing to take a direct look at your files?
And if you don't want to share them publicly, you can also PM me?
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 5th May 2018 at 9:34 AM
Hmm, so I went ahead and made a test myself in game, with a custom career.

I added a male outfit for the level 1 of this career and I used a modified outfit I made with TSRW (only changed one preset for both top and bottom), following the different steps from the tutorial (and the ones I posted previously).
When my sim got into the career, he changed into the exact outfit I created using the SIMO editor program.

I'm really not sure what could be the issue if you're doing exactly those same steps?
If you still don't get the intended result and can't pinpoint the problem, I would also be willing to take a direct look at your files?
And if you don't want to share them publicly, you can also PM me?

Well, I'm willing to let you see what the heck I might be missing. Right now, part of it might be my emotional state, I don't know. I have ascreenshot of the, wrong, outfit being used in-game first if that helps? Or if you'd rather I sum it up, It's supposed o be amilitary outfit (mind you with a different pattern and a logo), th eone normally with the beret. Instead I get a suit.
Instructor
#16 Old 5th May 2018 at 5:54 PM
Hey, no worries. I can't count the number of times I went a bit crazy trying to make a mod or mesh or whatever else work properly, and finding out I just overlooked something. ; )
But yeah, I don't know, sounds like the outfit referenced is not the right one, but if you used the CASP file directly exported from the package you made in TSRW, I don't how it might happen.

Hmm, maybe screenshots could help. For example, does the suit looks like this:

It's actually the one I get when a CC outfit worn by a sim gets replaced, after I take it out of my Mods folder.

Edit: Oh!! But I realised something that might help us!!
When you got back in game to test, after you added your career file, SIMO file and outfit package, did you have a new sim enter the career or did you only look at the career outfit of the sim you previously used?

What I mean is, once the outfit is generated, it will be saved as it was, meaning that if Tester-sim got the grey suit because the outfit package wasn't in your Mods folder, Tester-sim will still have the grey suit, even after you add the outfit package into your game.
Now, what you have to do is get a new sim to enter the career and check their Career outfit or get Tester-sim to Quit work and enter the career once again. That way, it will generate a new Career outfit.

Does that make any changes?
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th May 2018 at 3:22 AM Last edited by t888 : 7th May 2018 at 1:17 PM.
Hey, no worries. I can't count the number of times I went a bit crazy trying to make a mod or mesh or whatever else work properly, and finding out I just overlooked something. ; )
But yeah, I don't know, sounds like the outfit referenced is not the right one, but if you used the CASP file directly exported from the package you made in TSRW, I don't how it might happen.

Hmm, maybe screenshots could help. For example, does the suit looks like this:

It's actually the one I get when a CC outfit worn by a sim gets replaced, after I take it out of my Mods folder.

Edit: Oh!! But I realised something that might help us!!
When you got back in game to test, after you added your career file, SIMO file and outfit package, did you have a new sim enter the career or did you only look at the career outfit of the sim you previously used?

What I mean is, once the outfit is generated, it will be saved as it was, meaning that if Tester-sim got the grey suit because the outfit package wasn't in your Mods folder, Tester-sim will still have the grey suit, even after you add the outfit package into your game.
Now, what you have to do is get a new sim to enter the career and check their Career outfit or get Tester-sim to Quit work and enter the career once again. That way, it will generate a new Career outfit.

Does that make any changes?

YUP! Thats the suit! You mean thats true even if say I created this sim and used it from the household bin (never used previously), tested the career and got the regular military outfit without the beret and since I fixed it and I used the same household from the unused state in the bin? If thats the case then that could be the problem as I though I'm using it from the unused state so it doesn't count as being previously used.

So, do you mean I STILL need to use a completely new household/person to get it to work?
Instructor
#18 Old 7th May 2018 at 8:37 PM
I'm not sure if I understood correctly, but you first tested with a sim from the bin that you put in the world for the first time. When you made them enter the career, they didn't have the right outfit.
Then you, once again, put the sim into the world from the bin and tested again, once you added the outfit package into your Mods folder. And that time too, they didn't have the right outfit.

Is that what you did?

If that's it, you should have got the right outfit. Which might mean that the problem lies elsewhere...And I'm not sure where.
As a last resort, I'm still willing to look at your files if you want. : )
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 7th May 2018 at 10:15 PM Last edited by t888 : 8th May 2018 at 12:49 AM.
I'm not sure if I understood correctly, but you first tested with a sim from the bin that you put in the world for the first time. When you made them enter the career, they didn't have the right outfit.
Then you, once again, put the sim into the world from the bin and tested again, once you added the outfit package into your Mods folder. And that time too, they didn't have the right outfit.

Is that what you did?

If that's it, you should have got the right outfit. Which might mean that the problem lies elsewhere...And I'm not sure where.
As a last resort, I'm still willing to look at your files if you want. : )

Yeah, thats what I did. I don't get it either. When I get a chance I'll zip (or do you want rar) the files up and see if you can figure it out from there. I'll be in touch as soon as I can. Do you want the outfit files or the outfit with the career as well?
Instructor
#20 Old 8th May 2018 at 6:35 AM
Whenever you have the chance, if you can share the outfit package and the career file (zip is fine), that would be great? That way I can also test them in game.
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 9th May 2018 at 8:03 PM
Whenever you have the chance, if you can share the outfit package and the career file (zip is fine), that would be great? That way I can also test them in game.

Well, I normally intend its use later in the career, but wouldn't it be preferable to sort of switch it in first so you can test it faster in this version?
Instructor
#22 Old 10th May 2018 at 10:33 AM
If you tell me at which level your custom outfit should appear, I can cheat my way to the right level using MasterController. So you won't need to edit anything.
Instructor
Original Poster
#23 Old 11th May 2018 at 12:10 PM
If you tell me at which level your custom outfit should appear, I can cheat my way to the right level using MasterController. So you won't need to edit anything.

Awesome, I'll try to get it to you when I can, prolly next week that ok?
Instructor
Original Poster
#24 Old 24th May 2018 at 3:52 AM

Unfortunately it took a little longer than I figured, more like a week and a half but I've messaged you the files you need to take a look over and see if you can figure out whats gone wrong. Good luck, I'm out of clues completely.
Instructor
#25 Old 25th May 2018 at 4:51 AM
So I tested your career/outfit in game. I get the same results as you with the grey suit.
I had a look at your files and got a really close one to the SIMO/outfit file. It looks like the culprit to me. Now I'm not sure what went wrong, but it looks like it's not referencing the right CASP files.

See those lines should be the same as the two CASP of the clothing parts you added in Simo Outfitter.

All I did really was recreate the SIMO file using the CASPs from the outfit and shoes your shared with me and with the same name as your original one. I then replaced the original SIMO file in S3PE with the edited one.

Now the SIMO is referencing the right files.

When I get back in game, I should now have the right outfit, yes?

So, I'm not sure what happened when the SIMO file got generated, but did you use the CASP from those final versions of your outfit and shoes packages? Could it have been a simple hiccup?
Anyways, I would try redoing the SIMO. But if you still have problems, I shared the edited file in PM.
Screenshots
Page 1 of 2