Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 3:32 AM
Default What are the ugliest clothes in the UC that I must, MUST default?
what the title says. Plus, do you guys recommend I use hair defaults or not?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 3:38 AM
That's up to you, it's personal preference and what I like you might not. I think most Maxis clothes are ugly but although I would default just about all of them there are two issues with that. 1) Some seem to clash. Not because I put in two defaults for the same outfit either, but for example I have female swimwear defaulted, 2 show up invisible. 2)There are not defaults or ones I would like for every outfit.

I do try and default workwear/NPC wear because I have to use those.

Most clothes I use are standalone custom content, pages of it. Since Maxis clothes are at the back of the catalogue most times I don't even see them.

I would look at workwear first and elder clothes, I have quite a few defaults for those.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 4:05 AM
WOW THAT'S QUICK!! I was meaning what the community thinks are ugly, anyway. I have trouble deciding/looking for things. In other words, I'm lazy. XD
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 4:17 AM
Pretty much everything is ugly. All base game items are ugly or blurry. The H&M SP has a few decent things. There is a male BV adult outfit that I use and I can think of a couple of kids clothes. Rather than what should you default, its more what out of all of it is any good to use? For me very little.

Default data base: https://sims2defaults.dreamwidth.org/

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 4:18 AM
This is up to you, and you only. I have no clue what you consider ugly!

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 4:28 AM
There's also this recent thread about a similar subject. Maybe you'll find some of these posts helpful.

"Do you have any items of clothing you absolutely despise?"
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610102
Mad Poster
#7 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 4:58 AM
Just go through the default database and click on anything you don't want to ever see.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 5:34 AM
Again, I'm thinking of a general consensus here. I just really wanna know what most people absolutely, extremely hate with all fiber of their being. I also wanna know what your individual opinions are.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 6:12 AM
Well then the thread that RoxEllen linked will help.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Forum Resident
#10 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 9:23 AM
Thanks, RoxEllen, for linking to my thread ^^ it should come in handy.

The one piece of clothing I always, without fail, default, is the one I talk about in my post, afravelegwarmer. I have a really cute sweater/dress combo defaulted for it that I use for my nerdy sims.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 11:28 AM
I use a few texture defaults for the ugliest ones, and have a pregmorph replacement for most of the AF meshes, but other than that I've mostly kept the clothes as-is. I use them when testing stuff in my game (lnstead of CC outfits, so it's perhaps a bit less straining on the system). I've over the years found uses for a lot of the EAxis outfits, as costumes or as meshes for prettier recolors, so I prefer to not do anything drastic to them, like switching them with an entirely new outfit. I actually prefer the outfits (and hairs and whatnots) to be CC, because there's less bugginess involved. Most of my non-testing sims either come directly from CAS or go through clothing or face makeovers anyway.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 12:36 PM
(Also posting to flush simmer22's post out of cache so everyone can see it.)

There's nothing that you MUST default -- it's entirely up to you. I'm extremely lazy (even my Sims tell me so) and I don't default replace anything. Apart from the fact that I can't be bothered to do it, I like to keep all the Maxis outfits in case they come in useful for a fancy dress party or similar. Moreover I find that the outfits other people replace first are some of my favourites. As a confident, outgoing Romance Sim, Gloria finds that Nightlife legwarmer outfit (with very short shorts and a matching skimpy top) perfect for her. She says, "I feel good in it. I'm not making anybody else wear it."

I've never even thought about default replacing hair. Personally I don't like short hair on men, but loads of real life men have short hair. (Not a few would be glad to have any hair at all!) If I'm really unhappy with the appearance of a Sim, I can use christianlov's Gussy Up (highly recommended) to give them a makeover.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 12:49 PM
My first replacement is the paper boy/girls outfit, surely you don't want to use that for a fancy dress party Andrew? :P

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 12:52 PM
The recent thread linked mentioned CC, and I want to avoid that.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#15 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 1:06 PM
I think it must largely depend on how you play. Me, I play for stories and need sims to dress appropriately. Sure, EAxis clothes are ugly, especially some of them, but what will I dress my slobs, weirdos and chavs in if I don't use them? I like options. I guess if you want to create a world where everyone looks, I dunno, average or 'normal' (whatever that might be) or even pretty, you'll need to default to prevent townies clanking down your streets in armour or something. I have very few defaults - skintones, yes. Not much else. Some mesh defaults (like the feet and smooth hands - but that's to improve the look overall), some default NPC outfits - also some object defaults, usually to remove surplus decorations. As I said, I like options so I tend to CC rather than defaults.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Undead Molten Llama
#16 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 1:10 PM
...o_O But...How can you use defaults while avoiding CC? Defaults are, by definition, CC. Or did you mean that you just wanted to avoid discussion of CC?

In any case, I recently ditched all my custom clothing and just defaulted everything Maxis except for some of the stuff from the H&M pack because I like those well enough. I also didn't bother with all the career outfits because, since I have the Visitor Controller, my Sims only wear them from their house to the carpool; they return home in their Everyday outfit, which suits me fine. I also just learned how to make defaults, so there are some that I didn't find a default that I loved that I'll be switching out. In any case, for me, it wasn't a matter of wanting to get rid of ugly stuff (although I agree with Jo that 95% of the Maxis stuff is ugly either because of the outlandish styles or because the textures are just old) so much as getting fed up with having so much custom clothing that it took forever to scroll through the catalogs.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Theorist
#17 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 1:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Disspleased
The recent thread linked mentioned CC, and I want to avoid that.

Then what do you want to default the clothes with? Default Replacing something means to replace it with another items. With the exception of a handful of store and promotional items, the UC already features all the clothing that the developers created for Sims 2, so defaults usually involve CC or conversions from other games (which, technically, are also CC in relation to Sims 2).

I still don't get why it's so important to get a general consensus on what "must" be defaulted. The general consensus doesn't play your game. You do.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 1:39 PM
The only real advantage of using defaults that completely change the outfits and hairs is if you can't be bothered to change clothes on townies, and don't want them to pick some random ugly EAxis outfit. That, and if you don't use the items as-is anyway, there will be a little less useless clutter ingame.

Defaults are just as much CC as any other CC, so it's not like your game will run much better if you default replace all the things instead of downloading regular non-default items.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 2:04 PM
Whoops! I meant by that, avoiding discussion of CC clothes. For ex. "I got these Deedee Clothes that I absolutely hate."
Mad Poster
#20 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 5:02 PM
I am in the "Why default?"-side of community. The only defaults I have are mesh defaults that add pregnancy morphs to maxis outfits, and a couple that make shirts tuckable or fix some mistake in the meshing. While I don't necessarily love all of the maxis outfits, to me defaulting them is a whole lot of work for little benefit. What's the point? Defaulting does not save you space. The CC outfit takes up the exact same amount of space as a default as it does as a regular additional outfit, and it's the same amount of packages for the game to read. So it is equally detrimental to your loading time and game strain. Keeping track of what you defaulted and what you didn't is a chore, because you can only have one for each, which means you are likely to here and there end up with two for one which wastes even more space. And you are limited to the choices of replacements that people chose to make. If you already have a replacement for that outfit, you either have to get rid of that one or find the new outfit as replacement for something else, which means lots of puzzling and figuring it out.

Compare that to just having them as CC outfits. Only need to keep track of if you have the mesh, which you have to do any way with defaults. There's no conflicting, no keeping track of what you already replaced or not, or having to try and find the thing as replacement for a different outfit. Just go "Nice, I want that" and that's that. Same amount of space taken, same amount of work for game to read and load. Wardrobe wrangler can batch townify things, which means the game will pull from your CC things as well when Sims grow up or a townie of some sort is generated. Almost everything in my game is townified, and I very rarely see Maxis clothing unless I choose it myself. So really, why bother with defaulting when you can get the same effect using clothes as regular CC, with much less hassle? If there's some outfit you absolutely can't stand to see even for a moment until you can switch it, there are hiders that will remove that one outfit, which seems a lot more sensible to me.

Not saying people can't default if they want to, I just don't get it myself. I guess it makes some sense if you do premade Sims and townies, since those already have outfits chosen, but for anyone that doesn't it seems far more convenient and effective to use townified CC and occasional hiders.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 5:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
My first replacement is the paper boy/girls outfit, surely you don't want to use that for a fancy dress party Andrew? :P
Oh, I don't know Jo. In my part of the world paper boys and paper girls generally just wear their own clothes (and there aren't as many of them around as there used to be. (I wonder if they get to wear a uniform in the U.S.A.) In my game they brighten up the mornings in their bright yellow jackets and hats. Most of mine seem a cheery bunch of kids. Quite a few of my Sims have made friends with their paper boy or girl. In my test 'hood, my first Sim didn't actually marry his paper girl, but he did invite her to the wedding! She was his first real friend in the neighbourhood, and he took her out to dine at several swish restaurants, before he met, and fell in love with a good-looking female General.

So if I ever get to go to a Sims-themed fancy dress or cosplay do, I think I'll go as a Simerican paper boy.

No! I'll change that. I think it would be even more fun to go as a Simerican paper girl!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
#22 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 5:26 PM
In my opinion, I default because it clears up catalog space. Why scroll through dozens of pages of clothes I'll never use when I could just as easily default replace something to take its place? In the same amount of time it takes to download a hider, you could also be downloading a default replacement to the same effect, just that it makes the Maxis section feel less empty. And, of course, there's no longer that small chance of a townie generating in that stupid outfit you hate, but you couldn't find a hider for.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 6:05 PM
alloj, most EAxis clothes hide at the back of the catalog in CAS and the buy menu. They do show in front in the wardrobe, but if you don't buy them you won't see them (unless they spawn on a sim growing up). It's the same with hairs.

And I do agree that townifying items is just as useful as defaulting, even if I don't townify items in my game. Towniefied clothes seem to behave very much like default clothes, and the game often tend to choose towniefied over defaults when randomizing clothes.
Undead Molten Llama
#24 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 6:07 PM
I'm sorry, @gummilutt, I gotta disagree with you a bit.

Defaults:
-- Are read faster and processed more easily by the game because they are bundled, mesh + all applicable recolors in one file. The game will read and load one large file faster than it will read and load multiple smaller files that add up to the same size as the large one. That's why people like to bundle their CC these days. It makes a significant difference in load time, if you can do it. (It makes sharing lots and Sims that include CC harder/impossible, but if you don't do that...bundling is wise.)

-- The meshes are included in the default file, so there are absolutely NO meshes to keep track of, ever.

-- Are easy to keep track of. Yes, you can only have one default for each Maxis mesh/item. BUT, you will know pretty quickly if you have multiples of something because you'll end up with (for clothing defaults) floating heads and invisible bodies. So there is no "wasted space." Instead, you have to figure out where you've doubled up. BUT! This is generally easier to do than, say, finding a missing mesh for CC outfits you've downloaded because most people who make defaults include the name of the mesh being defaulted in the file name. So, duplicates are fairly easy to find.

-- Are limited to what other people have defaulted, yes...unless you learn to do it yourself. I just learned to default literally yesterday, because I wanted to make hair defaults specifically for my Castaway game. It wasn't hard at all, and I don't know why I've been so scared of it for years. So now, if I see something I like, I can grab it and use it to make a default to replace one that I've downloaded but that I don't like as much as the new clothing/hair. Easy. Of course, it requires SimPE, so Mac users are stuck using what others have made unless they've got a Windows partition on their machine, but other than that...?

In any case, I went the route of dumping ALL custom clothing and hair and switching to defaults only. My game loads a lot faster, both because of the bundling used to make defaults and because I now have only as much hair/clothing CC as there are Maxis hairs/outfits/separates. Yet, I still have plenty of options, and my townies certainly never generate in the same things twice. And, I no longer have clothing catalogs that take forever to scroll through and are so large that they sometimes crash the game. And I don't have clothing CC that's a pain in the butt to organize and cull without also having a meticulously-organized, massively subfoldered clothing CC folder. (Massive subfoldering MASSIVELY slows loading; the difference is quite amazing.) After going to defaults-only and getting rid of all the massively-subfoldered custom hair/clothing, my game went from loading in ~20mins to loading in ~5min, even though the overall size of my downloads folder only went down by ~2GB, from ~8GB to 6.2GB. I had some "repairs" to do in my existing neighborhoods in the aftermath, sure, but overall? It wasn't bad at all.

So...I'm totally sold. I ain't going back to screwing around with custom clothing, especially. I'll still have some extra custom hairs here and there, but I will never go back to the level that I had before. Especially not now that I can default for myself and can switch out defaults easily when I come across something new that I really want.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 9th Apr 2018 at 6:32 PM
One place where defaults are absolutely necessary is themed games. You may or may not mind the puffy vest in and off itself; but you really, really don't want your medieval French peasants, your English Regency dandies, or your Siminole Indians generating with them! Sure, you can use various means to gussy them up, but when absolutely every townie and NPC needs gussying up it can get very tiresome. Also, some NPCs are difficult or impossible to use different clothing changers on, such as the DJs. For my Retropleasantspot game, I defaulted everything I could with anything I could find that was more or less suitable to a vaguely "first half of the 20th century" outfit and hair, and to see familiar people like LaShawn Cameron and Brandi Tourneau walk by dressed as flappers the very first time they appeared was such a wonderful feeling! It also made remaking the family bin sims a lot easier.

Mind you, it's really frustrating when the only thing you can find to default one inappropriate outfit with is another inappropriate outfit; or when the one perfect default is no longer available; but that's life. And that sort of thing is an inspiration to learn to default, yourself.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Page 1 of 2