Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 12:26 AM
From EA's point of view ... it's obsolete.

From the POV of Sims players in general .... Sorry. Sims 3 seems the most popular of the bunch ... even more than 4. However, even among Sims 3 players, there is some respect for Sims 2. Sims 4 ... not as much, though some do like it.

From the POV of those who enjoy Sims 2 .... they're a loyal bunch, overall. And neither EA not trends will dissuade them

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#27 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 12:31 AM
Sims 2 doesn't need to be connected to the internet, what for? Unless of course, you are using the UC, that's a whole nother ball game and I don't know if those who use that might have to or not. I think not though, Petro?

If you are on old disks the internet has nothing to do with your game since this was before cloud storage, the shop has long gone so you don't want to connect to that, not that you even can. So what would you need the internet for? You can grab CC while your game is turned off and your internet is on.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#28 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 12:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
@PenelopeT To be clear are you saying I can play my Sims 2 on Window 7 without being connect to the internet? I did not know that, for I have always been connected to the internet when playing Sims since 2006.
How do you do that ? I would like to try and see myself.

My game installation is in disc form, so there is never/has never been a need to be connected to the internet in order to play. Actually, I keep WiFi turned off on all my devices until I have a need for it be enabled.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 1:14 AM
Sims 3 has its place on my computer. It's a good place. I like it. I play it for its own merits. Sims 4.... I just don't see myself jumping off that cliff anytime soon. But Sims 2 is established. As a modding community, undoubtedly, but also in my own knowledge of how to get what I want from it. And other's knowledge, when I have to seek it out.

AKA. Anora Acadian
Mad Poster
#30 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 2:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
From the POV of Sims players in general .... Sorry. Sims 3 seems the most popular of the bunch ... even more than 4.

This is part of the reason I was kind of disappointed with the last MTS calendar contest, combining all three games into one calendar. TS3 took more than half the months. I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining here.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#31 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 3:07 AM
Sims 2 was designed with the option of not needing the internet, and even then the only real purpose they had for the deal was making sure your copy of the game was real. Via Securom. I'm disappointed to this day that they never removed it from the UC when they stopped supporting the game..releasing the whole series as a compliation does not count as support. Merely making more moneyl

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Meet Me In My Next Life
#32 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 3:29 AM
joandnsarah77 I hope it's ok to ask this ( sorry if not ) what if your last installed is a round- about can you still play without being on the net ? ( sorry I sound stupid )

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 3:31 AM
To be clear, you never need the internet to play the game. I need it to download the UC, but then I do not need to play the game. Origin has an offline mode.

AKA. Anora Acadian
Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 3:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I'm disappointed to this day that they never removed it from the UC when they stopped supporting the game..releasing the whole series as a compliation does not count as support. Merely making more moneyl

...But the UC was free?
Scholar
#35 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 9:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by k6ka
...But the UC was free?

Correction: The UC IS free. You can still get it if you call Origin and have one of the original boxes for TS2 or an expansion pack.
Now get yourself onto Tumblr and see the amazing games people are playing!

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#36 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 9:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simonut
joandnsarah77 I hope it's ok to ask this ( sorry if not ) what if your last installed is a round- about can you still play without being on the net ? ( sorry I sound stupid )

Sorry, I don't know what you mean. (UC aside) The Sims 2 is solely on your computer. All your install information came off the disks, the patches you get from online but you have to download them to your computer then use them, once you have them you have them. All your saves are on your computer. There is no online component to playing it. Sims 2 was made before online installing/cloud storage/online piracy checks took off. It had a shop and a forum but that was separate from your game. You were never forced to sign up to the forum or the shop and your game never asks you to connect to Origin since it's pre Origin. If you are talking about ways of not getting your disks scratched that we can't talk about here, but that isn't online either, it's saved to your computer.

If you ever buy a game like Dragon Age Inquisition you will see Origin load up and ask for a login, it will then say connecting to DA servers and it will also tell you not to turn off while it stores your save in the cloud. That is an online game. If that cloud or server goes down I will lose my information or be unable to play the game. Highly annoying.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#37 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 10:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Sims 2 was designed with the option of not needing the internet, and even then the only real purpose they had for the deal was making sure your copy of the game was real. Via Securom. I'm disappointed to this day that they never removed it from the UC when they stopped supporting the game..releasing the whole series as a compliation does not count as support. Merely making more moneyl

Oh, they did finally remove SecuRom from the UC, but not without its own conditions https://crinrict.com/blog/2017/11/s...es-securom.html.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#38 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 11:20 AM
So the UC is now an online game, very canny of them.

~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#39 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 12:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77

It's EA, Jo. Are we really surprised?...I don't think we are in the least.

Mad Poster
#40 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 12:45 PM
Sims 2 doesn't need to be connected to the internet, what for? Unless of course, you are using the UC, that's a whole nother ball game and I don't know if those who use that might have to or not. I think not though, Petro?

If you are on old disks the internet has nothing to do with your game since this was before cloud storage, the shop has long gone so you don't want to connect to that, not that you even can. So what would you need the internet for? You can grab CC while your game is turned off and your internet is on.

I'm on UC and I don't have to be connected to the internet to play. There was a big update from origin for sims 2. I think one of the changes was that it was going to require the internet, so I skipped it. Maybe Justpetro can weigh in here. I think she said there was some work around so it doesn't have to be connected. I would like to know because a new computer is probably coming my way next year.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Field Researcher
#41 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 12:57 PM
Tumblr is home to most creators outside of MTS. If you need help finding them, Lana CC Finds is great.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#42 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 1:39 PM
Origin has an offline mode. Or it did the last I knew. I never updated my UC due to not having origin on the computer. I only play UC. I installed Origin. I installed UC. I uninstalled Origin in that order. Origin has no place on my computer generally. We still run our Sims 3 off of disc, on 1.67 patch as well. I actually own the Sims 2 discs as well. I realize some people like other games that make them have to have Origin, I just happen to be lucky not to. Meantime, no I personally do not have to be online to play the UC. If it gets to the point I get a new computer, I still won't need origin to play.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 2:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by k6ka
A question that has really been bugging me: how much longer will The Sims 2 work on modern computers?

And we would have a reason for keeping our old computers If TS2 won't longer run on new modern ones.

Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
What'd be ideal is if a team of talented coders could make a Sims 2 "fangame" using all of the assets from the original Sims 2 and they would use an engine such as Unreal Engine (or Unity).

Depending on how good the coders are, you would have, in the end, a game that looks and plays like the game we know and love, though they could implement everything differently (namely the things that corrupt neighborhoods / the game as a whole) and they could put stuff in which we've wanted for years, such as high-resolution imposters and hell, they might as well should add an open world. Do you know how AWESOME it would be to walk from, oh, let's say the Broke house over to the Park in Pleasantview? Come on! The possibilities would be endless! The only thing I can see the devs having a hard time with if they used a premade engine, is they might not be able to make it moddable, though if someone could chime in and correct me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Back in January I was fooling around with an interesting game engine called CopperCube (I got it on a sale on Steam for $18, normally $75) and I was putting Sims 2 stuff in there and had a basic game in where you control Dustin via the keyboard and you walk up to objects to interact (think of the console version of 2). I didn't get far due to the sheer difficulty of getting the lots in there, though it was fun as hell to work on this...

Oh, and if it says much, I tried another engine a few weeks back, called S2Engine HD and I put the Broke house in there as well, but S2 is the most confusing thing I've ever tried... I couldn't get anything made with it. lol

I mean, it sounds and all, but isn't it just pie in the sky while EA has the rights to TS2 and thus implanting new additions and omitting corruptions would run the coders in the trademark/copyright strike issue and what-not-other-mumbo-jumbo?
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 2:33 PM
I recently installed the UC on a new laptop via Origin, and I don't need to be connected to the internet to play. The game's got the update. It starts Origin when I load the game when not connected, but it does so in offline mode.

AKA. Anora Acadian
Mad Poster
#45 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 2:52 PM
I play Sims 2 (the Ultimate Collection) on Windows 10 without any problems whatsoever

I am not really a gamer. Although I own Sims 3 and Sims 4, I have stopped playing 3 ages ago and don't think I have started Sims 4 since the toddlers were added. So I am truly just interested in Sims 2.
Meet Me In My Next Life
#46 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 10:36 PM
joandsarah77 Yes you answer my question I am clear now thank you much

Oh and the lady Jessa who play Sims on You Tube, I don't know her but I really love her voice.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Field Researcher
#47 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 10:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix

I mean, it sounds and all, but isn't it just pie in the sky while EA has the rights to TS2 and thus implanting new additions and omitting corruptions would run the coders in the trademark/copyright strike issue and what-not-other-mumbo-jumbo?

EA has rights to The Sims, but not to the genre "Life Simulation". Like Atari, for example, have rights to RCT, but not to the genre of "Tycoon Amusement Park."
Mad Poster
#48 Old 21st Feb 2018 at 11:08 PM
At a second there, I thought he implied using the engine of TS2. My bad.
Mad Poster
#49 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 7:36 AM

There are ways around it. I am never signed into Origin.
Scholar
#50 Old 22nd Feb 2018 at 7:43 AM
What's in the future for Sims 2?

Us.
Page 2 of 3