Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#26 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
It's a pure money grab. I'm not surprised. Recently they began nagging me to disable my adblocker to view images.

It's isn't going to survive this. Even if a few people upgrade, they've pissed off too many people.

Yeah, the adblocker thing would pop up even if you were a logged-in paid member trying to view someone else's image via a link - not a snowballs chance I was going to turn off my adblocker for that. That nonsense lasted for about a week or two, and I see they've stopped doing that.

I also use photobucket for things that have nothing to do with the sims, which is why I have the membership. However, they have been so dodgy with service over the past year or so anyhow, and now with the latest nonsense, that pretty much seals it for me to not renew my membership.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 5:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Duine
I've been using photobucket for years with no problems and no prompts to pay. I used it just a few days ago and nothing different popped up . . . so far. (:
I guess the notification reached only those whose pictures were being viewed very often. If you got several hundred HD pictures spanned over hundreds of posts, dozens of forums... that bandwidth is used up pretty fast.
Kind of like Box bandwidth limit, except that I don't think photobucket is here to reset a free user's bandwidth once it's used up.
just a girl
#28 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 5:54 PM
They all eventually fail in one way or another, even the most promising ones. I've seen quite a few over the five years of active simming. After my first chosen hosting died and I had to restore a ton of pictures from backups, I've uploaded them to Google. I figured, it's either you pay for your own hosting, or move to a giant.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#29 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 6:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SingleClawDesigns
Kinda makes you wonder though what's gonna happen to the picture threads here

Quote: Originally posted by whoward69
Not to mention all the tutorials that just got wiped out

Quote: Originally posted by gazania
But as others wrote, you have your pics nicely showing up on all different types of websites and forums then BAM! They're gone. And in many cases, it can be hard to find the pictures again . . . My concern is that other photo services will follow suit.

I heartily agree with all the statements above.
Not only do I fear that this will become a trend that will discourage people from posting helpful pics, but I would bet that a lot of people who have left helpful third-party posts (Sims related and otherwise) will not bother to change the links to those old posts. Pages and pages of the Internet will become like the Sims Graveyard -- files will be there, but without photos. It will make finding treasures in the tons of chaff almost impossible.

As for Photo-PASS THE BUCK-et, the jump from $0 to $399 (for third-party hosting) is not just a money-grab, it's sending a message. It is saying that photobucket wants to control how we use our photos, and it wants to make sure that third-party websites (ModTheSims, craft/hobby sites, social media) will not benefit from our photo posting.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 6:35 PM
It's definitely not going to end well - both for them (a lot of people hate them right now) and for all sites featuring user-posted pictures - it already looks nasty. I don't even want to imagine the pain of sorting it all out. Also, due to years of conditioning, I have a habit of sticking my pics to whatever hosting website I'm using atm and hotlinking to my posts Pbucket was my go-to place for more than 10 years, and I'm sad to see it go (and no, I'm not paying, the price tag is insane :P). I stumbled upon a recommendation for ImgPile - will be testing it out soon(ish).
Inventor
#31 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 8:48 PM
On the one hand, I can't say I'm particularly mad about the switch itself. As gazania and Lamare mentioned, free image hosts come and go. I can't imagine they make a terrible lot of money. On the other hand, it's crappy policy to not alert every user in a timely fashion they're going to switch up the rules. More than one email should have been sent out over a period of a few months so people could decide without being pressured if they want to pay or to move elsewhere. And $399 a year is pretty insane for image hosting, unless the person has a ton of large pictures they're linking all over the place. So they deserve plenty of heat for that. I just checked the plans on the last paid host I used, and their largest shared plan (which would probably be enough for most people) was still cheaper at $25/month. Not to mention you get a free domain name, MySQL, email+live chat support, and the resources you need to build your own site if you want. I realize a lot of people want something easy they can just drop pics in and go, but when I had my site it was literally as easy as clicking a link to install a gallery. So I don't see where photobucket is offering anything worth that much money. Well, I guess unless a person regularly uses their print features but... I wonder how many actually do that (and you still have to pay for the printing itself).
Mad Poster
#32 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 9:10 PM Last edited by gazania : 30th Jun 2017 at 9:21 PM.
What is really making me scratch my head is that my old website service charges $8 a month for unlimited monthly traffic. Now technically, you're not supposed to use websites for that purpose, and the owner can get pissed-off at you and terminate your service, but I found if I was careful, it worked fine. I just didn't overdo the pictures and spread things out. I would use MTS for some pictures, for instance, Photo-bucket for others (not anymore, obviously), this service for still others. And I did have stuff other than just pictures. I had posted a message board on one site during my early days of playing around with MySQL.

And like Devon Aster, the all-inclusive, unlimited plan gave you unlimited traffic, 10 hosted domains, your own site e-mail, MySQL, and a very primitive build-your-own-site service. Nothing fancy, but you could make a basic website out of it if you had no idea how to use HTML or CSS or anything like that. You could use their domains for free (in which case, their name is part of your URL address) or use a Go Daddy-like service. Your choice. I did not have 24/7 live customer service, though; after all, this is a budget website service. But you usually got an answer within 24 hours, and someone usually managed to solve any problems within 48 hours. I don't remember having any trouble accessing my site other than the very, very occasional blip that was usually quickly resolved..

I used the cheapest plan on the rung at less than a buck a month since most of my hobby and other sites where I linked the pictures didn't get much traffic, and it sufficed for me. At 10GB monthly traffic, it's pretty small, but then again, I had maybe only 50 people or so on the largest hobby board, and no more than about 20 on each of the other sites. So it was fine for me. It might be a good temporary fallback in case a picture hosting site goes down or plays games. I should be getting a little money next month, and it may be worth the investment just in case.

Hopefully, those participating in Project Crumb will use MTS's service and not an outside one. Many Tumblr tutorials, though, may suffer, as well as those on websites that don't have the ability for users to post pictures. And as others wrote, many people have long stopped Simming and are scattered all over the place, and people can't contact them. This should be fun.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#33 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 10:31 PM
We should all keep in mind that someone at MTS is footing the bill for photo storage via ModYourPanties.com (which I just learned about).
So, if everyone who used Photo-Buck-et switches their MTS pics to MYP (which I believe serves only MTS), it might cause a crowding issue. That overuse could mean an end to ModYourPanties or a fee to use it.
The best way to avoid a problem would be to make an occasional contribution to this site.
(Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with MTS -- other than to use its resources -- and I do not get any sort of kickback for suggesting we donate.)

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Mad Poster
#34 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 10:39 PM
For what it matters, you can get a domain for around $10 a year and then use Amazon S3.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#35 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 10:47 PM
Anyone else having problems even downloading their albums on PB? I got two then it decided I needed two verification of not being a robot then sat there until verification expired because clicking download did nothing. I'm getting madder by the minute.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#36 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 10:49 PM
I found a temporary way to view images. If you drag and drop the image into a new tab, it'll load the photobucket page. At least they've stopped nagging about adblockers. Hopefully.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Inventor
#37 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 11:02 PM
@gazania , the place I used was very upfront about not offering unlimited anything. The only technically unlimited thing was how many domains you felt like pointing at your website(s). I'm not sure if they've changed that or not. The upside was that they parceled out their servers on the assumption everyone on the server was going to use their allotted resources. That way if customers did use those resources, they wouldn't take down the whole server and all the other accounts on that server with them. If you got close to your limit, they would send you an alert so that you would know. If you constantly overshot your limit, they worked with you to customize your plan to add the extra resources you needed. At the time I was with them, they were very good people and would not have terminated an account for using what they paid for.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#38 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 11:03 PM
I turned add blocker off in the hopes it might go more smoothly, after a reboot it's sort of working-sort of being it wants not only a robot box check but I have to click shop fronts or street signs then it goes to some video which sits there for minutes then after all that it may download. I have over 20 albums. Its taking 10-15 minutes per album. I'm literally going to be doing this all day.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 11:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Anyone else having problems even downloading their albums on PB? I got two then it decided I needed two verification of not being a robot then sat there until verification expired because clicking download did nothing. I'm getting madder by the minute.

That does not surprise me. Just before I stopped using them I could not upload anything at all and the website was extremely slow.
I imagine a LOT of people will be trying to download albums in the next few days.
I now use posiimege.io as someone mentioned. It's served well.
Whatever happens it's a reminder that nothing is permanent on the interwebs. Anyone remember geocities? (Showing my age)
Mad Poster
#40 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 11:31 PM Last edited by gazania : 1st Jul 2017 at 12:35 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Devon Aster
@gazania , the place I used was very upfront about not offering unlimited anything. The only technically unlimited thing was how many domains you felt like pointing at your website(s). I'm not sure if they've changed that or not. The upside was that they parceled out their servers on the assumption everyone on the server was going to use their allotted resources. That way if customers did use those resources, they wouldn't take down the whole server and all the other accounts on that server with them. If you got close to your limit, they would send you an alert so that you would know. If you constantly overshot your limit, they worked with you to customize your plan to add the extra resources you needed. At the time I was with them, they were very good people and would not have terminated an account for using what they paid for.

To be honest, with my tiny site and forums, I never even got close to overshooting the limit. A hundred people or fewer looking at this stuff back in the day didn't exactly generate huge amounts of traffic. But for a budget site provider, this service got pretty good reviews.

However, it sounds like you're working with a more advanced provider. It might be a case of you get more for the buck.

I think the moral of the story might be is that for less money, you get far more elsewhere. At $25 a month, that comes out to $300 a year ... almost a hundred dollars less than Photobucket's service. And you get much more.

And I think that I mix my photo service because I doubt that MTS wants me to put every one of my Sim pics here. I generally upload to MTS if there are only a few pictures. If there are more than that, I try to use a service. And when MTS passes the hat, I try to put in a few bucks. With my budget, it's pretty paltry, but it's something, I hope. I even click on an ad or two. MTS actually has a couple of ads that I'm interested in. Some of these ads on other sites ... (shudders at Mediafire).

And I remember Geocities. I even remember when you could hotlink pictures off it. That didn't last too long, though! And the service didn't last too long after that. I lost my entire website. At first it was on Geocities, then when Geocities was floundering, I put it on another reasonably-priced service, which got really wonky suddenly after a couple of years and the host started demanding a whole lot more money. Any of us who previously paid for the year were not grandfathered, and did not get a refund when our sites were yanked. I'm guessing ... though I'm not sure ... that the host was operating this under his job's server and while the job might or might not been OK with it at first (it sure looked like the second!), perhaps he was a little too successful and his bosses wanted a bigger cut or he had to move the service elsewhere. The entire service folded about a year or two later. I feel sorry for those who paid up. I didn't pay that much, and had only a couple of months left before I had to renew.

Ah, the stories some of us can tell about web and photo services.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 30th Jun 2017 at 11:49 PM
It reminds me of when imageshack started charging to have more than a certain amount of images on your account without the old ones getting deleted. They said they'd email a zip of all your images if you asked. I'm still waiting for it.

I once dealt with a webhost that simply vanished off the internet. The owner disappeared. Moved to Dreamhost after that and was happy with them until I gave up the site a few years ago. Would use them again if I needed a webhost.

Mad Poster
#42 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 12:18 AM
I have a free account, 2GB; only use it for MTS. I forgot about MTS having a pic site, haven't used it for years.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#43 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 12:23 AM
Well its one gif at a time and since some of mine are quite rare and old I will be sitting here downloading for a very long time. <_<

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#44 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 12:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77

I downloaded my albums fine earlier today, but it took a few minutes. I guess it depends on how much you have on there (I had roughly 2000 pics, and downloaded everything in one zip file, as I couldn't be bothered doing it album by album). I only got the robot check, then a page that told me to wait, then the download came up.

Perhaps there's a lot of download traffic now. Have you tried with a different browser?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#45 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 1:26 AM
I have dozens of albums and thousands of very old rare giffs, Those I am having to download one at a time. My picture albums so far I have downloaded five, each one is taking up to 20 minutes its a nightmare.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#46 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 2:33 AM
Turns out I didn't download all the albums after all. At first it looked like I'd gotten them all, but apparently not. Ah well, back to download the rest.
Theorist
#47 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 10:40 AM
I've got a question regarding hosting pics on MTS... should I be including my pics inline with my post (go advanced > attach image to post), or should I use ModYourPanties? I'm kind of skeptic about the latter since it says they occasionally delete old photos to make room for new ones...

Also, I'm feeling very lazy about opening a new account anywhere, so I was thinking about something and I'd like someone to dispute or approve my theory. I've got a tumblr account, and I'm thinking about creating a post and dumping the 300+ in it. Or create 300+ posts, whatever. Then, private those posts, and hotlink from MTS to the tumblr image. Would that work?
Mad Poster
#48 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 11:17 AM
I used to get a bunch of Tumblr blogs via RSS and in 90% of the ones I still have, the image links broke. So I wouldn't count on it.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#49 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 11:28 AM
I went over there yesterday and had to (eventually) reregister just to get to my account. Fortunately, it's not the only place I have those pictures so I think I'm going to abandon the account and perhaps update anything I spot as I go. What a bummer.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Top Secret Researcher
#50 Old 1st Jul 2017 at 11:42 AM
Well looks like it's time to get the photos off my PB, delete my account, and look up this imgur site...
seriously PB? $400 a year? They must be out of their minds! It was nice knowing you PB

Edit: Going there the site won't even load right...every other website is working perfectly. I've been having this issue for many months now with just PB. They want me to pay $400 a year for something that isn't even worth that much on a site that doesn't even work right?

Seriously nothing is loading on PB. I'll try again at a later time but like I said that site hasn't been loading for me for months now. Sad to see it go like this.

My Simblr
He/They
Page 2 of 10