Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#26 Old 14th May 2017 at 4:05 AM
Its not his call to make, thus his statement is already untrue,

"Threat" might be the wrong word but that certainly created a atmosphere of fear, also I am suspicious when people that have a vested interest on something make statements over said something, what he did was giving the notion people even if they didnt not wanted to had to continue to buy The Sims 4 or else EA *might* not create a sequel when ...

1 - That decision is not something someone on his position can make.
2 - The Sims 5 might never come to be reguadless.
3 - Its also possible that EA would move development of The Sims 5 to another studio instead of Maxis.

In fact, I keep repeating this, Maxis effectively ceased to exist when The Sims 2 was released with expansions and stuff packs being handled by other studios until they eventually dropped the logo Maxis from the expansions and stuff packs, only returning as a name when Spore come about and a studio was set up using that name but was in a different location, the Sims Studio that was what was handling The Sims was eventually integrated into Maxis so its not as if EA cannot just move development of the series to another studio as they have done so in the past.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27 Old 14th May 2017 at 6:35 AM
I only got TS4 because of the vampires. I collect vampire games. I own The Elder Scrolls Online because I can play as a vampire, biting other players and turning them into vampires. Much fun is that! I am waiting for "Vampyr" to come out for Xbox1. I don't want a zombie shooter. I want games that let me role play vampires. I bought games in the past that said they let you rp vampires but was lame stupid. It is not a vampire if it is not sucking someone's blood! Those past games played more like a mage or wizard not a vampire.
Instructor
#28 Old 14th May 2017 at 7:44 AM
how is it thriving when they give you expansion packs about social media clubs, FAKE apartments or BOWLING packs?! still waiting for MA cars where are they...huh EA?

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#29 Old 14th May 2017 at 8:07 AM
I think one thing that a lot of us forget, and I sure do, is this. I read once that only 5% I think it was of Sims 3 players used CC, and/or were active on Sims sites. It is probably true with 4 also. A heck of a lot of folks play these games right out of the box, as they say. They are not involved in the community and places like here or anywhere else. They are not folks that played 3 with Nraas or whatever. There is a huge population that is buying these games and is content with them and buying and buying and buying. Are sales "thriving"? Who knows? But I think this game probably is selling pretty darn well. Not all folks are as discriminating as we are, the folks that tend to be active here, for example.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 14th May 2017 at 11:18 AM
I really hope that even if TS4 really is doing well, they won't take that as a sign they should continue on the same path.

I have yet to buy or play TS4, but since they added toddlers I've begun keeping an eye out for sales and will grab it when I come across a good deal. Still having lots of fun with TS2 and TS3 though so for the first time I'm determined not to get any EP or SP and stick with the BG. Not expecting much, but at this point I'm still more curious about a possible TS5 than finally trying TS4 out. Even though I fear it will be a disappointment.
Mad Poster
#31 Old 14th May 2017 at 5:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I think one thing that a lot of us forget, and I sure do, is this. I read once that only 5% I think it was of Sims 3 players used CC, and/or were active on Sims sites. It is probably true with 4 also. A heck of a lot of folks play these games right out of the box, as they say. They are not involved in the community and places like here or anywhere else. They are not folks that played 3 with Nraas or whatever. There is a huge population that is buying these games and is content with them and buying and buying and buying. Are sales "thriving"? Who knows? But I think this game probably is selling pretty darn well. Not all folks are as discriminating as we are, the folks that tend to be active here, for example.

^This. The online community doesnt really make up a big chunk of the fandom. The average sim player doesn't analyze the game as thoroughly or critisize it as we do. Especially the younger ones. They'll buy and enjoy anything as long as it says Sims

The Receptacle still lives!
Mad Poster
#32 Old 14th May 2017 at 5:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
The average sim player doesn't analyze the game as thoroughly or critisize it as we do. Especially the younger ones. They'll buy and enjoy anything as long as it says Sims

Although I can't put the hate I have for this kind of person into words, I can repeatedly say the word "FUCK" in an attempt to bring the point across.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#33 Old 14th May 2017 at 6:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
^This. The online community doesnt really make up a big chunk of the fandom. The average sim player doesn't analyze the game as thoroughly or critisize it as we do. Especially the younger ones. They'll buy and enjoy anything as long as it says Sims
Ummm...I'm sure you didn't mean to be mean about this, but I do feel criticized. I didn't buy the game because it says "Sims". I'm not young, nor am I new to The Sims. I've been playing since 2000. I suspect that I'm not alone.

I enjoy this game, enough to lose great amounts of time on it. There are things about the other Sims games that I liked better. There are things about this game that I like better. When I'm missing those other games or features, I play them. I can agree with you that some of what is missing makes it somehow seem like it has less than previous games. But there are other aspects that are done so well, that I wish they were included in the earlier games. I just take the game as it is, on the terms it is offered and play with it that way. I do the same thing with the other games, since all Sims games have their limitations.

So, maybe the part about not criticizing or analyzing the game the way you do is true. I don't. I just enjoy it.

Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Although I can't put the hate I have for this kind of person into words, I can repeatedly say the word "FUCK" in an attempt to bring the point across.
The feeling is mutual, I'm sure. How about agreeing to disagree? It is a thing, really.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 14th May 2017 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
How about agreeing to disagree? It is a thing, really.

I don't do that kind of thing, because it suggests that my opinion isn't the best opinion. And I'm also fairly certain that the feeling isn't mutual, because that would require the other half to be capable of rational thought. And that really doesn't fit into the picture of me equating TS4 fans with hardcore Trump supporters.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Mad Poster
#35 Old 14th May 2017 at 8:08 PM Last edited by lil bag2 : 14th May 2017 at 10:30 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
Ummm...I'm sure you didn't mean to be mean about this, but I do feel criticized. I didn't buy the game because it says "Sims". I'm not young, nor am I new to The Sims. I've been playing since 2000. I suspect that I'm not alone.

I enjoy this game, enough to lose great amounts of time on it. There are things about the other Sims games that I liked better. There are things about this game that I like better. When I'm missing those other games or features, I play them. I can agree with you that some of what is missing makes it somehow seem like it has less than previous games. But there are other aspects that are done so well, that I wish they were included in the earlier games. I just take the game as it is, on the terms it is offered and play with it that way. I do the same thing with the other games, since all Sims games have their limitations.

So, maybe the part about not criticizing or analyzing the game the way you do is true. I don't. I just enjoy it.

It wasnt meant to come off as mean. But you're also not the kind of person I'm talking about. Youre very active on this forum, and therefor, the online community. I'm talking about the average casual player who spends no time on forums or online groups like we do. They're the ones who are easier to please.

Wasn't a criticism of anyone. Just an analysis.

Lab Assistant
#36 Old 15th May 2017 at 10:24 AM
I like this forum, as people here are passionate, do think about the game, like to analyse information and make interesting comments, but it is dawning on me that being a sim critic is actually one way of having fun with the game and interacting with the community, so actually being part of and contributing to that active community mentioned in post one. It's an interesting paradox.
Instructor
#37 Old 15th May 2017 at 11:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Drakron
Its not his call to make, thus his statement is already untrue,

"Threat" might be the wrong word but that certainly created a atmosphere of fear, also I am suspicious when people that have a vested interest on something make statements over said something, what he did was giving the notion people even if they didnt not wanted to had to continue to buy The Sims 4 or else EA *might* not create a sequel when ...

1 - That decision is not something someone on his position can make.
2 - The Sims 5 might never come to be reguadless.
3 - Its also possible that EA would move development of The Sims 5 to another studio instead of Maxis.

In fact, I keep repeating this, Maxis effectively ceased to exist when The Sims 2 was released with expansions and stuff packs being handled by other studios until they eventually dropped the logo Maxis from the expansions and stuff packs, only returning as a name when Spore come about and a studio was set up using that name but was in a different location, the Sims Studio that was what was handling The Sims was eventually integrated into Maxis so its not as if EA cannot just move development of the series to another studio as they have done so in the past.

I really have to disagree with this.

Regardless of whether or not it's Rodiek's call to make, the truth in game development is that if a game doesn't sell well, there won't be a sequel no matter what, because there's either not enough budget to do so, or because the publisher slams on the brakes. (Since they control what's shipped and what's not).

1. He's not making any decisions, he's just stating the monetary reality of making games. Which is what I just described
2. Realistically, any game could not get a sequel if the devs or publishers decide to quit. Most of them are passionate enough to keep creating though.
3. EA would never hand over the "The Sims" brand to another dev or publisher if there's still money to be made. EA is smarter than that.

Maxis never ceased to exist. They're still a company that's under EA's domain. They only closed the original office. When The Sims 2 came out a lot of the original artists and programmers started to leave to pursue other goals in life. Rebranding happened, offices and employees were moved around, etc. meaning that Maxis isn't dead, depending on how you look at it, it just went through a lot of changes on behalf of EA. Really though, Old talent is replaced with new talent. Programmers and artists come and go in game development, some choose to leave once their contract ends, some are laid off, and some are hired purely on a freelance basis. The original Maxis brand might be dead, but the developers aren't, jeez. They're just replaced by new talent. I'm not saying it's for the better, but that's how it works.

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Mad Poster
#38 Old 15th May 2017 at 5:28 PM
Who gave him the go ahead to communicate with the fans in The first place? You could tell from his halfhearted responses to player concerns that he's probably not a people person.

Forum Resident
#39 Old 15th May 2017 at 10:46 PM
I know how to tell if ts4 is thriving. I look at this (pic below) down in the corner on MTS and think to myself yes this game has players. This is only a small portion. I think we need to stop worrying if EA is making money or not. We need to consider ourselves and our own enjoyment. Do we cry endlessly about the government taxing us? We cry a small bit not every second of the day. Do we cry endlessly about our internet bill, doctor bill, price of our food, or utility bills. No one but me. I am screaming constantly to people we should have windmills and solar power but I am a tree hugger so that is my burden. No we don't cry all the time. We enjoy our lives. I will enjoy this game and will be glad it has a large community. I am happy to talk to all of you. Even if I get mad at you I am happy you are here on earth with me to get mad at. It is a good game.

I think this is all the evidence I need to convince me ts4 is thriving:
Mad Poster
#40 Old 15th May 2017 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
I see they're still touting that TS4 is a different game. The question then still remains of why they called is TS4 and not something else. More information that we are not 'privy' to no doubt.

They also could've just called it "The Sims" like every other shitty reboot (SimCity included), and it would've really fucked up the Google search results.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#41 Old 16th May 2017 at 12:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by LaurellKH
I know how to tell if ts4 is thriving. I look at this (pic below) down in the corner on MTS and think to myself yes this game has players. This is only a small portion.

Thriving usually means to flourish. The small number base of TS4 community here doesn't prove that TS4 is in state of thriving, more so when MTS is really just a small spec of The Sims community in the general scheme of things. If you want to use number of players to prove TS4 is thriving, then MTS numbers are not exactly best to use.

How do we even know all 100 of those even actively play this iteration and are not just viewing the forum out of boredom?

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#42 Old 16th May 2017 at 1:05 AM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 16th May 2017 at 6:46 PM.
Exactly, I'm just here to be annoying. I'm actually in TS3 right now - building me some skyscrapers. Try doing that in TS4.

insert signature here
Top Secret Researcher
#43 Old 16th May 2017 at 7:17 AM
I am fearful of this quote "... giving people what they want before they realize that they want it..."

Also, I like that Guillermo del Toro quote at the end.

Nothing to say what hasn't been said.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 17th May 2017 at 2:07 PM
And another thing that maybe is not a lie about the thriving. Usually sims 4 online would have like 20000 people at evening weekdays where I am from, lately I been getting 40k + during weekdays, so maybe there is an ounce of truth, just anecdotal info though.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#45 Old 21st May 2017 at 7:17 AM
95 people viewing 3 now and 50 here. The 3 community thrives here more than 4 most of the time from what I see. I know it is just one indicator, but interesting that almost twice as many people are there.
Mad Poster
#46 Old 21st May 2017 at 9:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
95 people viewing 3 now and 50 here. The 3 community thrives here more than 4 most of the time from what I see. I know it is just one indicator, but interesting that almost twice as many people are there.
Are the forums more interesting there? I check here often, but there's not much going on that holds interest for very long. The couple of times I've tried to start the kind of thread that I would enjoy, it fizzled pretty quickly. The Sims 3 and Sims 2 forums seem more robust to me.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#47 Old 21st May 2017 at 11:00 AM
55 here and 90 in the 3 section now. 3am my time. I need to go to bed! LOL
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#48 Old 22nd May 2017 at 7:33 PM
I have removed all of the unrelated discussion regarding SimGuruDrake. It's not related to the original topic and it was getting extremely nasty and out of hand there at the end. You can not like SimGuruDrake or the way she (or others) have handled themselves professionally, but her home life, personal twitter account, etc, etc has no place on this site.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Instructor
#49 Old 22nd May 2017 at 7:55 PM
A Look at EA's Stock
Based on their stock price these past couple of years, I'd say EA is doing great: EA Stock .

That being said, I do think that the Sims is not a major contributor to that; I wish it was but I doubt that is the case. However, that also presents them an opportunity for the future if they can actually release a solid Sims game (which we know they have done) it can only help the company. With that, it is in EA's best interests to really nail the Sims 5.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#50 Old 23rd May 2017 at 2:19 AM
I would agree with that. As much as many of us including me gripe about some of the shortcomings of 4, there is still a huge Sims community and one that would really like a well done version, IF they can manage it. IF they have learned enough from feedback they have been given. I know they cannot please everyone, but some common opinions should be very carefully looked at, as far as I am concerned.
Page 2 of 3