Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 10th May 2017 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nic
That's a no no but i can see why it would appeal to that casual mobile crowd.

I can't, and I don't want to. The people who appreciate this sort of greedy, manipulative trash are not the kind of people I want to sympathize with.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 10th May 2017 at 10:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I can't, and I don't want to. The people who appreciate this sort of greedy, manipulative trash are not the kind of people I want to sympathize with.

Yeah these people are a kinda weird. They like to pay "small" amounts of money all the time instead of paying upfront but get the whole game unlocked (which def. would fit better with Sims but it's EA and the mobile gamers)
See Mario Run which "flopped" and only few people decided to pay the 10$ upfront.
I personaly don't understand why you would have no problem paying thousands of $ but have a problem with a one time 10$ purchase?!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#53 Old 10th May 2017 at 10:24 PM
I don't think it's going to be player-to-player interactive like TSO was.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#54 Old 10th May 2017 at 10:24 PM
I personaly don't understand why you would have no problem paying thousands of $ but have a problem with a one time 10$ purchase?!

Exactly. No matter how much you spend on those microtransactions, the restrictions imposed by the business model aren't going anywhere. You could spend a thousand dollars, and those mechanics will still be there. I spent maybe €250 on The Sims 3 and it packs, and I've gotten probably 5000 hours out of it by now. It won't cost me a dime ever again, it's mine. I can do with it what I want. Imagine if I'd spent €10 for every 100 hours of gameplay instead, and if I still were subject to restrictions and marketing tactics to get even more money out of me.

On the other hand, I do realise how much more profitable this business model is for them. And I do realise how much a game like The Sims Mobile would have to cost to make it IAP-free.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#55 Old 10th May 2017 at 11:58 PM
Yeah these people are a kinda weird. ...

It's a different audience with different needs. PC players are in it for the long haul. They put hundreds of hours into games, thousands over the life of a series, so it makes a lot of sense to pay a flat fee. Mobile games are something you play on your coffee break, while you are commuting, or for a bit in the evening while watching tv.

There are certainly people who shell out ridiculous amounts of money, but I bet the average player doesn't shell out more than 20 bucks a month on a game. Most people spend more than that on coffee in a week. And when you get sick of the game (because by their nature, they aren't very deep) you move on to the next one.
Field Researcher
#56 Old 11th May 2017 at 12:13 AM
Yeah these people are a kinda weird. They like to pay "small" amounts of money all the time instead of paying upfront but get the whole game unlocked (which def. would fit better with Sims but it's EA and the mobile gamers)
See Mario Run which "flopped" and only few people decided to pay the 10$ upfront.

They overestimate their self-control. That is why lol. And greedy, oh I will only spend once this 0.99 cents... but 10 bucks imagine that! Usually impulsive people without lack of effective planning skills.

Most are prob those kids that would eat the marshmallow instead of waiting 10 min and getting 5 marshmallows (is a psychological experiment done with kids about impulsivity and rewards)
Mad Poster
#57 Old 11th May 2017 at 12:53 AM
I have never spent a penny on a mobile app. Ever. Not one. I've never bought an app, I've never bought anything inside of an app.
(I did get a few paid games for free, but that was because I bought a new phone. Also, 50 gigs of Dropbox storage and a year of Microsoft Office. I miss my Note 4.)

insert signature here
Theorist
#58 Old 11th May 2017 at 6:48 AM
So...watching the trailer and reading the features.

This looks like a Legacy Challenge simulator combined with a party simulator. I'm really sick of EA constantly pandering to the legacy play stile (and to parties).

I mean I wouldn't have gotten a mobile game anyway, but I'm worried of what that might mean for Sims 5.
Mad Poster
#59 Old 11th May 2017 at 1:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BagelTheDog
We have a perfectly good mobile game (I assume)

Don't, because we don't. And should we?

insert signature here
Forum Resident
#60 Old 11th May 2017 at 3:36 PM
I would love to have a full Sims game on mobile/tablet so I can play it anywhere I go. Like this...

*sigh*
Mad Poster
#61 Old 11th May 2017 at 4:01 PM
Or the sims 2 ultimate collect on adroid/ios :O
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 11th May 2017 at 4:27 PM
I don't care about this "game" at all nor do I think it means anything anything one way or the other about sims 4. It's just a money pit "free" game that's probably supposed to be an updated version of freeplay.

Obviously these things must bring in lots of cash, but I personally don't get it. If I want to play the sims I want to sit and play the sims. I don't want to click one thing and then close the app because I have to wait 10 hours for some interaction to finish or fork over 25 dollars. Even if you could afford to pay to speed up every single interaction I just don't see how this type of game would be fun... I feel like playing sims 4 the way it was at launch would probably be more fun than playing a ftp sims game with tons of content that you can't actually access because it's all behind time/money/quest walls.

But anyway, yeah I'm not surprised or alarmed by this. I'd say it's pretty expected, though it would have been more interesting to see more of an actual sims 4 mobile spin off, kind of the way they did Sims Medieval on mobile. It was an actual game that you payed one price for and then you played it like a normal game. But I guess apps more closely resembling actual games don't bring in cash the way the cheap money grubbing model does.
Mad Poster
#63 Old 11th May 2017 at 5:20 PM
Why are their heads so big?
Forum Resident
#64 Old 11th May 2017 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000

They're filled with EA's marketing secrets.
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 11th May 2017 at 6:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Weisskreuz
They're filled with EA's marketing secrets.

So it's mostly hot air?
Scholar
#66 Old 11th May 2017 at 6:11 PM

Simulating EA's massive ego and pig-headedness...

...Titanium white...
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#67 Old 11th May 2017 at 6:42 PM
Supposed to be "dolls" I guess

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Mad Poster
#68 Old 11th May 2017 at 7:08 PM
Presumably so that you can see the sims face expression cleary.

Also, they have huge eggs because they designed by the prediction on how many every nickle and penny they will absorb from from the pay-to-play interest fans
Mad Poster
#69 Old 11th May 2017 at 8:25 PM
Also I wonder how much of the content is directly ripped from TS4 considering the low-poly count in that game.

I think they did the same thing with Simcity Freeplay with assets from Simcity 2013. Waste not, want not I suppose.
Field Researcher
#70 Old 11th May 2017 at 9:00 PM
Also I wonder how much of the content is directly ripped from TS4 considering the low-poly count in that game.

I think they did the same thing with Simcity Freeplay with assets from Simcity 2013. Waste not, want not I suppose.

From what I have seen all of it. There may be a couple unique objects, but the majority is ripped from the base game or one of the DLC.
Mad Poster
#71 Old 11th May 2017 at 11:25 PM
I'm waiting for an EA rep to have an answer about those careers that are in the mobile game and used PC assets, but aren't in the PC game...

SimGuruMoistTowelette: "You know, we here at Maxis DO read the forum and collect loads of feedback from you guys! We know you guys wanted different careers that we weren't quite able to fit into the PC game, such as being a chef. Being a chef is something that many fans wanted their Sims to experience, so while we couldn't add that to the PC game, we took the opportunity to add these exciting careers to The Sims Mobile, being tied directly to the games heirloom system, which we'll discuss more about at a later date! I'm sure you guys will love it! We're eager to share everything with you very soon!"

Can I get a job writing their damage control messages? That was super duper easy.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#72 Old 11th May 2017 at 11:26 PM
The head size makes perfect sense, it would look weird if all the sims had their heads up their butts instead!
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 12th May 2017 at 12:10 AM
I'm actually looking forward to it?
I hope it'll be out on Android so I can play it on my tablet and kill time when I'm meant to be studying...
I'm hoping it'll be similar to TS4 (yes y'all can hate me but I like ts4 despite the many...MANY limitations)
And I hope it's better than that trash pile FreePlay
Forum Resident
#74 Old 12th May 2017 at 3:43 AM
I would be looking forward to it more if it were indeed more like TS4 and not Freeplay, but it pretty much looks like another Freeplay with TS4 design.
Scholar
#75 Old 12th May 2017 at 12:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99
There are certainly people who shell out ridiculous amounts of money, but I bet the average player doesn't shell out more than 20 bucks a month on a game.

On average, people who play on mobile pay $87 a month, compared to $92 for PC and console players. Of course, that doesn't actually break down how much different people spend - around 1% of people account for 58% of mobile revenue.

So, doing the calculations, 1% of mobile gamers spend $50.46 and the other 99% spend $36.54 (or a rough average of $0.37 per 1%). That doesn't account for the type of spender (as you can break people down into various categories depending on when they started playing and when they made their first purchase, if at all).

And for the record, The Sims FreePlay made an average of $38.55 per player in January 2016, putting it 24th out of the top 25 mobile games in terms of revenue.
Page 3 of 4