Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th May 2017 at 9:54 AM
Just started playing again after all these years
Hi everyone,

I've begun playing the TS2 again, I had been playing TS3 for a while and then I got sick of it. After getting a new pc I decided to reinstall TS2 as I happen to remember it fondly, and oh my!

I forgot how much fun it was, especially with some mods that made it just awesome. I really enjoyed Open for Business and Seasons. It's fun playing legacy families when they can open their own stores and get wealthy, buy vacation lots and so on.

But the beauty of it is that I happened to find my old saves, they're at least 7 years old! And when I played them again I almost cried :lovestruc SO MANY MEMORIES!! and yes, I know it's just a game, but they're still memories to me. I had lived countless hours through that game.

Anyways, thought I'd share...
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th May 2017 at 2:38 PM
I now play Sims 3 quite a bit after being an avid Sims 2-only player for years. (I'm a real latecomer to Sims 3.) There is much about Sims 3 that is fun, It's embarrassing for me to admit this after actually knocking the game in the beginning, but I do find the charm in it now that I've been playing it. (Sims 4 ... I'll play the base game from time to time and that's about it, but that's another story!)

However, when I get back to Sims 2, it's like a warm cup of cocoa after being outside on a cold day, or coming back to a familiar place after traveling a while. I know these analogies are cheesy.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 7th May 2017 at 2:57 PM
Welcome back to the greatest game on earth! It's the only game I play.

What I find best is finding and loading your old saves. I guess it must be like meeting up with old friends that you haven't seen for years. And they haven't even aged in all the time you haven't seen them! :lovestruc

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 7th May 2017 at 3:34 PM
Link Ninja
#5 Old 7th May 2017 at 3:50 PM
I understand your emotions.It's great that you are back!

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Forum Resident
#6 Old 7th May 2017 at 7:53 PM
Welcome Home :-)
Top Secret Researcher
Mad Poster
#8 Old 7th May 2017 at 9:07 PM
Oh, I try to get into TS4. But no matter how eagerly I try to get into the game, I'm done for the day after 45 minutes. With Sims 3, I feel bad for my computer because it doesn't go easy on it and give it a rest after a couple of hours, picking it up later if I have time. I know better to fire up a Sims 2 game if I have any event within three hours. Time just goes right by while playing it!

Field Researcher
#9 Old 7th May 2017 at 9:19 PM
Been there... a year ago, or so. Except I didn't have any old saves to return to.
And of course I fell in love with TS2 all over again. :lovestruc It really is something special. It has something... timeless... in it's core. It is warmer, smoother and generally more inviting game.

CAST is a dream come true, I won't lie. Also, I like the general TS3 world aesthetics better. I wasn't among those who missed ingame world/neighborhood edit tool. Even though I've never got the hang of it and never learned to use it properly, I found TS3 CAW far superior world creating tool. It's not really user friendly, but if one can master it, it can make beautiful, beautiful things. Downloading custom worlds, exploring them and enjoying their aesthetics is one of my most enjoyable things to do in TS3. I'm generally a builder and environment adjustment type of player, so I can't deny all the great things TS3 does offer. But even speaking as a builder and a decorator, there is something special in creating especially for TS2.

I thought I will never be able to adjust again, but boy was I wrong. The lack of recoloring tool still bothers me, true, but I don't download recolors, because I find it more challenging to adjust and try to draw maximum of my creative capabilities out. There are even building features I prefer in TS2. For example, CFE is a lot easier to manipulate by clicking, than it is in TS3. There is also more freedom when placing objects off grid, so you can use almost anything to your liking, even wall objects or doors (they're not sticky and do not automatically attach to walls). In some weird way, I even like roof tool more. Routing is undeniably a lot (and I mean A LOT) better in TS2, so it's a lot easier to make cluttered rooms completely playable. I also like TS2 player community more! Even though (to be completely honest), when it comes to mods and CC, I still prefer TS3 creators. And that's mostly because I know them better, I have greater knowledge of TS3; during several years of playing, I've collected nearly 20 GBs of content. TS3 is unplayable for me without certain things, but I can totally enjoy TS2 vanilla! Don't even get me started about gameplay and EP-s! OFB is still the best expansion pack in the whole wide world, I simply can not have enough of it! In my opinion, it has the greatest replay value of all the features from both games (out of build/buy mode, of course).

I absolutely understand why people prefer TS2 for family and generational gameplay; I know what they mean when they say it has "charm" and "quirks"; I know what they mean when they say TS2 Sims are better looking and why they call TS3 Sims "pudding faces" - but those are not the things I can discuss much, since those things are not something characteristic to my playstyle or are not as important to me as to the other players.

I don't have anything to say about TS4. I don't even consider it part of the franchise. Tried it briefly, and still, after two and a half years, I can't shake off the impression of it being a joke. Even if it would have something to attract me (the poor OFB remake didn't even come close), I doubt I would give it a chance again, maybe even out of principle alone.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 7th May 2017 at 9:41 PM Last edited by gazania : 7th May 2017 at 9:52 PM.
I think one advantage of Sims 2 is the subhoods. When I wanted to make that vacation hood I've mentioned way too many times here, I could simply make it Vacation Hood #4. I customized the entire hood, making the vacation hood I would want to visit in real life. (What can I say? I like history-related destinations.) If I want to make a second Uni (one a State one and one a private college), I could do that.

Others have done alien colonies, future worlds, historic hoods that aren't living-history hoods like mine but actually GO back in time, etc. etc. (I now have fond recollections of my Village of the Mud People subhood I did years ago. I downloaded a skin that had really nice definition, but the shade looked like light mud, and thus, this village was born). It opens unique and creative outlets, and it's YOUR world. Not your world as interpreted by EA. (Sims 4, I'm looking at you.) YOUR own world, your rules, your inhabitants, your buildings (if you like building ... and I do). If I were to look at others' custom hoods here, they would be so, so different from mine ... and that's the way we probably like it. There are so many different types of terrain here to use as a custom hood or subhood, and you can make it four different ways (lush, concrete, desert, and dirt).

Unfortunately, the one thing I can't do is to move my Sims in one main hood to another main hood. In Sims 3, I believe you can. One of the good things about Sims 4 ... and yes, there are some good things about it! ... is that I can have Sims visit each others' hoods. I wish that was in Sims 2.

Mad Poster
#11 Old 7th May 2017 at 10:28 PM
Quote:
What I find best is finding and loading your old saves.

Lord love a duck, isn't this the truth! There is one hood from way, way back (back 6 years, at least) that I saved. Had renamed it, added new people, etc, and I moved onto other hoods. Thought it was deader than a door nail game-play wise, until the other day when I had to resurrect it for mod testing-because I knew there were pixels who had lots and lots of paid time coming.

Fixed it up, put in new stuff (new horizons, the Radiance mod) and off I went.

I found out that I missed them so much! There they were, with all of their foibles, hates and loves just hanging fire, children waiting to grow up, ambitions to be fulfilled.

There was Don Lothario calling up Jan Tellerman to come over for some fun; Mary Sue Pleasant being a dim-wit Mayor, her daughter running a lethal prison, etc.

Yes, it is worth the save and worth the time to resurrect, although I'm going to have to have one of those pixels go to the cemetery and restore all the graves missing. That's one problem with old saves-the graves go missing-not a big one, though. They're still in the characters file. All I need is some patience and a willing victim. Looks like it'll be the servo to do the honors.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Scholar
#12 Old 8th May 2017 at 12:29 AM Last edited by DezzyBoo : 8th May 2017 at 2:27 AM.
Welcome back! I can only play Sims 2 due to tech issues but I also have Sims 1 and it gives me feels to go back to it.

I've got an old S2 save I burned onto a disc from my old comp. I'm sure if I loaded it up, I may be teary eyed myself

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 8th May 2017 at 1:27 AM
Welcome back! I only play sims 2, I tried sims 3 but hated the pudding the idles the way the sims didn't form proper relationships. Didn't help my computer could only run a couple of Eps at a time and virtually no CC. I just got sims 4 base game on sale once toddlers were added but my computer struggles on that as well. The whole screen broke into tiny coloured shards so... yep sticking to sims 2, its the best out of all the games anyway. I have 10gigs of cc and if you have been way you will find the cc now is incredible. We now have all kind of stations/hobby items made by various people although the Sun&moon stations are the best known with trees you can grow and chop, a huge range of growable crops, chickens, bees, furniture your sims can make and lots more.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th May 2017 at 2:34 AM
Haha! So I'm not alone then. Good to see!
Scholar
#15 Old 8th May 2017 at 10:11 PM
Welcome back, muddy!
Forum Resident
#16 Old 9th May 2017 at 9:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by muddy
Haha! So I'm not alone then. Good to see!

I was in the same position three years ago, when my frustrations with TS3 not working on my computer coincided with the UC free release. It's been lots of fun coming back to TS2, though I still play TS3 sometimes too, even though it's in the process of killing my computer.

Oddly enough I haven't been back to play my old saves. I've got them, and every now and then I think about it, but I've never even moved all the files over ready to play, let alone opened up a neighbourhood. I think it's because I had all these plans for the sims, and now I can't remember what they were, so I don't play in case I 'mess things up' - even though I'm the only one who'd be affected!

I've enjoyed starting again, and deciding what's happening to Strangetown (and Pleasantview, more recently) this time, re-creating some stories I enjoyed, deliberately avoiding ideas I now find silly, and working out what would be fun when I don't remember, which to be honest is most of the time. So Johnny and Ophelia and their many daughters happened again, and the CAS guy in Pleasantview who tried to have 50 kids is lost in the mists of time...
Forum Resident
#17 Old 9th May 2017 at 11:22 AM
Sims 2 is always the game I get back to; even if my computer dies or wipes everything, its always my jam too, if I could find my old files that would be epic. I get the same with Sims 3 too even if my computer doesnt like it. Sims 2 will lways be the best even if theres features I wish 2 had from 3 (Never bothered with Sims 4, currently playing sims 3 so much haha

My Sims 3 Random Legacy Challenge: The Amberstones
http://amberstonelegacy.blogspot.com.au/
Scholar
#18 Old 11th May 2017 at 1:39 AM
Augh, just found out my backup disc is worthless. The hoods I would want, won't transfer over. Anyone got any advice on that? Maybe backup on a flashdrive instead, huh?

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Mad Poster
#19 Old 11th May 2017 at 3:56 AM
I wouldn't touch my old files. I'm sure I corrupted something on them, even though I know what not to do forward and backward.

Mad Poster
#20 Old 11th May 2017 at 9:19 AM
Starting over can be huge fun Enjoy.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 12th May 2017 at 3:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KittyCarey
Oddly enough I haven't been back to play my old saves. I've got them, and every now and then I think about it, but I've never even moved all the files over ready to play, let alone opened up a neighbourhood. I think it's because I had all these plans for the sims, and now I can't remember what they were, so I don't play in case I 'mess things up' - even though I'm the only one who'd be affected!

LOL I am having this issue as well. I have a brilliant neighbourhood that I started from scratch, but I can't remember what my plans were, and I don't want to "mess them up"! So what can I do? I am now in the process of starting a new neighbourhood

Found some good buildings that I had built before, so I'm copying them. But I have forgotten a few building tips and cheats that clearly I must have known before *scratches head*
at times I feel like a newbie!

It feels like a new game!
Forum Resident
#22 Old 12th May 2017 at 12:33 PM
LOL I am having this issue as well. I have a brilliant neighbourhood that I started from scratch, but I can't remember what my plans were, and I don't want to "mess them up"! So what can I do? I am now in the process of starting a new neighbourhood

Found some good buildings that I had built before, so I'm copying them. But I have forgotten a few building tips and cheats that clearly I must have known before *scratches head*

I'm visiting my parents next month, and I think some of the plans are still in a box there somewhere. So maybe if I find them I might be able to carry on my old neighbourhood...

I also had the "it feels like a new game!" thoughts, though part of that is because it sort of is: when I first played I didn't have any mods (I didn't really know they existed...) but then I had to for TS3 and so of course when I came back to TS2 I went hunting for interesting ones... I have a few now
Mad Poster
#23 Old 12th May 2017 at 5:40 PM

Even if I were to go back, some of these neighborhoods would remind me of the really, really awkward and stupid things I did back then .... game-wise, lot-wise, etc. It might be fun to visit, but I wouldn't want to stay there for more than a few moments. With each hood I've made (and I've made many!), I learn new things, and I believe it shows in my game play. Not too long ago, I unearthed a picture of a house I made in 2007, and ... egads. I could imagine the moderators at MTS back then wondering just what I was thinking if I submitted it!

Mad Poster
#24 Old 12th May 2017 at 9:01 PM
It is true that if you do go back to an old hood, it can be very challenging to remember what you were thinking when you last played it,
I solve the problem by not just speeding through each house.
I checked their memories, their friends and enemies. I played each house for an entire day (6 am Thursday to 6 am Friday, for example), and for the most part, just let them run.
My building skills have improved, to say the least-and my playstyle has expanded-but the pixels reminded me (sometimes very rudely) that they were in charge, and I am just a bystander with a mouse.
Don Lothario and Daniel Pleasant are never going to be friends, and I wasn't going to deprive them of the right to beat the living crap out of one another, at all. They want to fight, they're gonna fight. Nothing I did was going to change that.
They're steadfast, those pixels. They remember what they were doing, even if I don't-and they're the ones in charge of this neighborhood, by god!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Test Subject
#25 Old 18th May 2017 at 1:54 PM
Sims 2 always be best game for me, you can actualy build your on world where without any restrictions. Sims itself have very difrent personalities, don't have that many glitchess like sims 3 or 4. And the most important they have a soul, when you load base neighborhood like Verona or Pleasantview every sim have diffrent story and personality, you can feel each one sim unique.
Don't know it feel like home to me, not just pixel game. After half year break ready to back. Very miss my little simmies. Whant to start fresh too, have essental mods and defaults stored on flash drive, another cc i will be download again. Also i found face sliders for sims 2, nether thought it possible, thanks all modders and creator community who steel stick around, you guys awesome. And sorry for grammar mistakes, i understand english, but not good at writing and speaking.
Page 1 of 2