Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#26 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 4:45 PM
I have a weird approach to uni. It’s fine for me when not all people go to uni, it’s their choice, but if I didn’t do that I’d feel to me as a “worse category person”. That only applies to myself, I wouldn’t think that about anyone else.

But in my sim world, every sim go to uni, I just can’t not send them there

“Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
Simblr
My profile on the official forums
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 7:52 PM
That's sorta my family's view on college too. If someone out side the family didn't go we don't think any less of them, with some exceptions.Once a man was picking an argument with my grandfather in an area that he had a degree in. Opa ended up grabbing me and marching out of the store. Back in his truck he told me that when I went to college he didn't want me to ever let someone who never even stepped foot in one try to make a fool out of me the way that man was out of him.
But within the family we hold each other to a higher standard and at least a two year college education is expected. If you can get a job that pays enough to raise a family without one great, but you best be prepared for insistent teasing from the rest of the family whenever we all get to gather. A lot of this comes from the fact that both my biological paternal grandparents were college professors. So it's almost like everyone's afraid of being the butt of "did you hear the one about the college professor's kid/grandkid who flunked out?" No one in my birthmothers family went to college but I was raised almost exclusively by my father's family so wasn't really influenced by them, except for maybe giving me extra incentive to go, that none of my cousins had.

As for in the sims, I don't necessary send them all to college. It often depends on the individuals personality and or that of their parents and immediate family.
Forum Resident
#28 Old 14th May 2017 at 12:17 PM Last edited by natboopsie : 14th May 2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: clarity
Quote: Originally posted by keyqueen
...I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas how to move YA sims from the main neighborhood to the university hood.

@keyqueen I have one solution to your problem. Sorry I wasn't in posting mode earlier, but I remembered reading your post and wanted to at least mention this in case you or anyone else still wants to know. This solution has worked great in my game the two times I've done it: have the hood-grown YA join a campus fraternity. Once they're in the Greek House, either have them use the phone and Move to Greek House, or play the Greek House and have a fraternity member invite the main-hood YA over and Ask to Move In.

Doing this, I got no jump bugs or issues with either lot (the main hood one or the Greek House); everyone at uni progressed as normal, and the YA from the main hood didn't have any problems with normal college or post-graduation progress/aging. The main-hood household that the YA left also showed no abnormalities. Of course, it does force you to get that YA a Greek House membership, which can't be removed again in game.

I think that in both cases, I played the Greek House and had a student sim in residence invite the main-hood YA over (remember, since they're a YA, even those main-hood YAs are in the campus phone directory, so it's not even a problem if no one at the GH initially knows them) and Ask to Pledge. I don't know whether you can actually get the Join Fraternity minichallenge to run at a main hood residential lot with a hacked YA in residence, but I didn't try! (So if anyone knows, do tell.)

As an aside, I'll also mention that in the main hood, I moved a household with one YA member (Dustin Broke) and an adult fiancee (Kristin Loste) plus kids (Kristin and Dustin's toddler, plus Dustin's brothers) out of houses and into the main lot bin as a family, then into a new home once and into an apartment another, with no trouble---Dustin never lost his YA status or uni progress, and no one else got glitchy either. So in case anyone's wondering, at least based on my game, you don't have to be too worried about moving those hacked YAs within the main hood either.
Scholar
#29 Old 14th May 2017 at 4:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
When I was 24 I was asked if I would be leaving school this year (highschool) That ends at 17. I was <_<

I am 29 and people still ask me what school I go to or why aren't you in school?

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
#30 Old 14th May 2017 at 5:49 PM
You think that's bad? I'm 30 and i still get mistaken for younger. It's really at it's worse when i'm on the way home from work in the morning. You see I don't own a car so I walk the 2 miles to and from work. Sometimes i'll want to grab a few things that I may need for the week so i have an old messenger bag I carry with me. This would be fine if my walk didn't include having to cross at the entrance to the school's drop off/pick up area. I've had alot of looks from the adults in their cars and even once was stopped by police asking why I was leaving the school area in the morning instead of going to class. Had to show my license to finally get past him and continue home.
Mad Poster
#31 Old 14th May 2017 at 6:13 PM
@Charmful You can age a teen into a YA at home, I do YA in the main hood all the time. The issue is once they are YA you can't send them to a UNI sub hood. They want them to have a YA birthday at home then send them to uni since they don't like seeing them go as teens.

do I do that with the heritage (?) birthday cake, the one that you can use to age up anytime? If so, how?

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#32 Old 14th May 2017 at 10:17 PM
The reason I don't play a Uni hood, and instead keep my YA's at home going to college is that I dislike that you have to switch between hoods to keep the synchronicity of the hood on an even keel. I don't like that, and as a result, I have Squinge's College hack to keep them all in the neighborhood while attending college.

In most respects, this is really much the norm in real life-many students do commute to classes because they can't find a place to stay near the college (there being not enough space in the dorms available) or they can't afford to live on their own while attending college.

I don't know if moving them to a Uni Hood after being aged to a YA is good or bad for the game-although I can't see why it should harm the game-they would age up anyway when they got out of their teen age and gone to college, moving out as they would.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#33 Old 14th May 2017 at 11:14 PM
Well I guess you could move a YA to a uni hood via the Greek house method or Christianlov's transport mirror, I have simply never tried it. Those who became YA in the main hood stay there and the ones going to uni I send as teens. I rather like watching the grow up sequence.

@smorbie1 I don't understand what the question is.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#34 Old 14th May 2017 at 11:45 PM
I want the YA age without sending them to college. How do I go about that?

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#35 Old 15th May 2017 at 12:56 AM
Just age them with the simblender. That ages them and gives no memory 'went to college' like the cake does. The cake is good for YA in the main hood who are going to classes who want to graduate. Only thing is you will need to keep track of days since they will have a freshman bar and it will stay that way. My YA only stay that way for 10 days/uni also 10 days so that isn't too hard to keep track off, I tend to use the seasons. So two full seasons is 10 days. But you could mark them off in the bio or perhaps place a cheap item down each day.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#36 Old 15th May 2017 at 11:51 AM
THANK YOU! i have read and read and searched and searched and never found anything so easily understood. My new hood **cowers awaiting missiles flung in her direction** thanks you, too.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#37 Old 15th May 2017 at 1:20 PM
If you use a celebrate anytime cake from here they can even have a party (house party) and blow out candles.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#38 Old 15th May 2017 at 3:29 PM
That's the cake I meant when I said heritage cake.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#39 Old 15th May 2017 at 11:22 PM
Oh okay, thought you were talking about Squinge's cake.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#40 Old 17th May 2017 at 11:51 AM
Well I guess you could move a YA to a uni hood via the Greek house method or Christianlov's transport mirror, I have simply never tried it. Those who became YA in the main hood stay there and the ones going to uni I send as teens.

Understood. Nevertheless, that was what the OP was asking, and she seemed discouraged by the statements in the thread that she should just ignore the problem (she went into that big explanation about her family's take on higher education, and it looked to me like she was really trying hard to get understood better here as to why this was a personal preference she had, the part about being able to move YAs from the hood to uni). So since I had the knowledge, I wanted her to have it too. Because however I normally play my game, I don't wish to begrudge someone else wanting to play theirs differently.

Smorbie1, Jo definitely did give you some very clear and useful advice about getting YAs without sending them to uni at all---I'd love to know how you like doing that, since as Jo mentioned, it gives them the semester clock. That always stopped me from trying it because for me, it would break the immersion for the semester clock to be there when they aren't in uni at all.

FranH, it had slowly started to bother me too, about having to disrupt the flow of the main hood to go to the uni hood. I added both an age mod (two days equals one year) and a uni-length mod (each 2 days covers 1 year of school), so that made it a bit better, but I'm still thinking that when I get back to my game, perhaps I'll start playing with more uni students in the main hood who stay in the hood. Perhaps it would be a difference between community college and regular uni---and in my hood with its many financial mods to keep sims relatively poor, not a lot of sims would be able to afford regular uni. So then the "apartness" of a uni hood might be more suitable symbolically, since it represents a private sheltered period just for rich kids...
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#41 Old 17th May 2017 at 12:39 PM
I would still make a backup first since it could cause some kind of glitch. I would not just do it carelessly.

I simply don't look at their semester clock, it just stays there on Freshman the entire 10 days. My uni days are exactly the same as in the main hood, 10 days. Probably too short for many but I find it long enough and gives no disconnect with the YA at uni having an impossibly long time compared to normal life.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#42 Old 18th May 2017 at 12:05 AM
I would still make a backup first since it could cause some kind of glitch. I would not just do it carelessly.

Sure thing. I hope no one is being careless with any hood that they care about, though of course you never know. But with the proper usage of backups and restoration, no one ever needs to fear doing anything new in their game or whether anyone else is doing something new in theirs---a backup first that can be restored solves any issues. I rely on that method whenever I experiment!

I simply don't look at their semester clock, it just stays there on Freshman the entire 10 days. My uni days are exactly the same as in the main hood, 10 days. Probably too short for many but I find it long enough and gives no disconnect with the YA at uni having an impossibly long time compared to normal life.

Good to know about how you deal with the semester clock for YA characters not attending college at all. Do they get any uni wants when made in/staying in the main hood, like Go to Class or Make Dean's List?

Yeah, I play with 8-day uni spans now. I enjoy uni a lot, but I really wanted it to mesh with the timeframe/lifespan that I use---as well as be a golden but brief time in their lives. Now it does/is all that in my game, and like I said, I think it's a great improvement.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#43 Old 18th May 2017 at 2:03 AM
Well those that don't go are generally pleasure or some aspiration that didn't want to go, so I don't often get college related wants. For some reason one couple always have a 'go to class' pop up each day so I have to click that off. They are living in an apartment so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, or if something got reset when I put in a new mod. They only a few days left now. They have 2 toddlers so they can't simply leave.

I might use the same 8 days span, since the two extra days are from the 72 hours that the game gives after graduation. I like to give them a weekend to go away or party or do whatever, before real adult life begins. My time frame is 1 day = 6 months. So I use double aging for toddlers-kids. Teens get 10 days and YA 10 days. Adults get double aging plus an additional 14 days when they are infertile. I use 2 day pregnancy so it's a year long not 18 months like an elephant.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#44 Old 18th May 2017 at 3:04 AM
Oh, I see. Yes, then it would be hard to say whether college-related wants would normally show anyway. And if the Blender doesn't give the memory of entering college, then there's one thing less (I wonder, is that memory the only thing that starts the college-work wants?) to trigger the sim to start with them.

Interesting about the go-to-class pop up; I wouldn't know what happened either there, and I'm glad they're almost done anyway. I know my Dustin Broke got those too, but I was using Squinge's cake, so he had the entering-college memory.

But it's a good thing you click off that action; I know that since college interactions are enabled in my hood from using Squinge's suite, YAs will go off to class if you don't...even when they are the only carer on the lot for a toddler. Had a dicey moment after Dustin left for class (my fault) and before his fiancee came home from work (fortunately she works in Oceanography, so gets home early) where their toddler was unsupervised! I assume it's because the game doesn't run a check before class (unlike the way it does with high school and jobs) to see whether kids are on the lot, since in an unmodded game, kids never would be in residence on a YA's home lot.

We actually use the same lifespan and uni spans, it sounds like! I use a 36-hour pregnancy (I figure that's 9 months, if 2 days = 1 year), and then I don't have YAs yet that don't go to college, and there's also no longevity bonus for infertility in my hood (interesting idea, though).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#45 Old 18th May 2017 at 3:35 AM
Well some of my YA in the main hood do go to class/are doing college, others are not. I do have uni interactions enabled in my main hood as well.
This couple own a gym. Mine is a 48 hour pregnancy span. I tried a shorter one it just seemed so short though.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#46 Old 18th May 2017 at 6:55 AM
I tried a shorter one it just seemed so short though.

36 hours does seem short during play, it's true. But then I remind myself that hey, I'm the one who wanted 2 days/year, so really it is 6 months passing every simday; it's just things like pregnancy being faster that make this more obvious, but in fact the pregnancy remains completely in proportion with what my lifespan calls for. So I keep the 36-hour span, because it's sort of a good way to remind myself just how much time I'm saying each "day" actually is supposed to be for them. Like, it's a reminder that their lives are actually going by quite fast.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Mad Poster
#47 Old 18th May 2017 at 11:12 AM
Short? How about 18 hours? I happen to like them really short.

They don't seem to mind it, either.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#48 Old 18th May 2017 at 1:01 PM
I still like to have the feel of three trimesters and the whole waiting on having a baby feeling so 18 hours would not give me that. If I need a baby pronto I will accelerate it on the sim blender.

~Call me Jo~
Page 2 of 2