Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Depressed Trait (Updated for Pets)

by saphryn Posted 29th Jan 2017 at 8:54 PM - Updated 7th Dec 2017 at 3:15 AM by saphryn

53 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 23 Feedback Posts, 29 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#2 Old 29th Jan 2017 at 9:16 PM
Thank you so much for this <3
Instructor
THANKS POST
#3 Old 29th Jan 2017 at 11:32 PM
sad but I will add it for sure seeing sims around having it and dealing with them will be interesting for sure, thank you
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#4 Old 30th Jan 2017 at 2:03 AM
From personal experience, you seem to have nailed it. As an aside, I've always thought there was a world of difference between "gloomy" and "depressed." As such, I think Maxis gave an accurate portrayal of "gloomy." (You know, someone who has a hang nail and is sad about it for fifteen minutes vs. a debilitating morass of, for lack of a better word, depression. Thanks!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#5 Old 30th Jan 2017 at 7:13 AM
this is great, but is there any possibility of adding writing to the list of skills they get boosts from?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#6 Old 30th Jan 2017 at 2:21 PM
I forgot to write my thanks before I clicked out so here it is. This trait is really well done. There is nice detail about the different impacts it will have on the sim and you took the time to include positive aspects as well. That will make it feasible to have a depressed sim who carries on despite the trait, which is wonderful representation to have and a really wonderful bit of control for players. I can tell that you thought about this and it just turned out so amazing. Thank you for making such an in depth trait that can have so much impact and honestly be played and experienced in so many different ways. I hope that you make more traits and am on the edge of my seat waiting to see what else you create. Thank you for such a thoughtful and well crafted trait.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Jan 2017 at 6:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadyKombucha
this is great, but is there any possibility of adding writing to the list of skills they get boosts from?

That was my mistake to add that -- under the creative boosts, writing does have an increase, it just isn't listed. Fixing!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th Jan 2017 at 6:56 PM
I want to say thanks to everyone who's taken the time to post a comment! It means a lot to me that people like it--I was very hesitant to post something for mental illness and had sat on this for a while.

Quote: Originally posted by KyoSay
I forgot to write my thanks before I clicked out so here it is. This trait is really well done. There is nice detail about the different impacts it will have on the sim and you took the time to include positive aspects as well. That will make it feasible to have a depressed sim who carries on despite the trait, which is wonderful representation to have and a really wonderful bit of control for players. I can tell that you thought about this and it just turned out so amazing. Thank you for making such an in depth trait that can have so much impact and honestly be played and experienced in so many different ways. I hope that you make more traits and am on the edge of my seat waiting to see what else you create. Thank you for such a thoughtful and well crafted trait.

I wanted to add--this was so nice to read and thank you so much.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#9 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 12:38 AM
is this a script mod? looks like a good one, as Gloomy doesn't last long.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 3:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by StarlightShadowDancer
is this a script mod? looks like a good one, as Gloomy doesn't last long.

Nope! (Or it shouldn't be, it's listed under custom content rather than script mods at start up.)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#11 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 11:47 PM
Yes! new traits for my sims :) Thank you!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#12 Old 2nd Feb 2017 at 1:33 PM
Thank you so much for this. Depression is an illness I have lived with for many years. You handled it with sensitivity and understanding. Thank you for that.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 7th Feb 2017 at 2:17 AM
What a great trait! Leagues better than "gloomy" and thank you for including some positive buffs, too. :)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#14 Old 13th Feb 2017 at 8:59 AM
I love this mod. It's so unbelievably accurate. I actually created an account just to tell you how well you nailed it.

Thanks so much.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 14th Feb 2017 at 7:36 AM
I've never downloaded a custom trait. Do we unzip the file and put it in "mods" or do we leave it zipped?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th Feb 2017 at 11:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Daleylife
I've never downloaded a custom trait. Do we unzip the file and put it in "mods" or do we leave it zipped?

Just unzip it and put it in your mods folder! It'll appear in CAS the next time you run your game and create a Sim.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#17 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 3:09 PM
I downloaded this mod a few weeks ago, and I wanted to come tell you that it has been such a great addition to my game. It is so well done and nails what having depression is like in my experience. Being able to take a Sim who is depressed and have them still complete their wishes, find love, have a family, etc., has been so rewarding. It has added more depth to my game. Thank you so much for this trait!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#18 Old 21st Feb 2017 at 2:51 PM
Thank you so much for this trait! I myself have mild depression (due to other illnesses) and having a trait that actually shows what I deal with is wonderful! I can ACTUALLY make a sim that's ME! Gloomy just never quite got to what I experience, although it was somewhat there. And it's really therapeutic to have a depressed sim who still has a life, it kinda helps remind me that despite having depression my life is what I control. I love the sims (maybe because it's the one thing I have control over lol) and so having the ability to control a me-sim that's realistic is a substitute for my life! I was wondering if you could make a trait for OCD? As someone who has OCD I could always help you with the buffs and things (not modding though, I barely understand how to download a mod!) I'd really love to have more realistic traits available to people, and spread mental illness awareness. And for me it would be helpful to keep going and trying if I could have a sim with these problems that still succeeds in life, and I know many others would agree. <3 Thank you again for this custom trait!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 22nd Feb 2017 at 1:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by clarinetplayer15
I downloaded this mod a few weeks ago, and I wanted to come tell you that it has been such a great addition to my game. It is so well done and nails what having depression is like in my experience. Being able to take a Sim who is depressed and have them still complete their wishes, find love, have a family, etc., has been so rewarding. It has added more depth to my game. Thank you so much for this trait!

That is exactly what I love to hear and makes me so happy that people are enjoying the trait. Thank you!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 22nd Feb 2017 at 1:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by neeneepapa_
Thank you so much for this trait! I myself have mild depression (due to other illnesses) and having a trait that actually shows what I deal with is wonderful! I can ACTUALLY make a sim that's ME! Gloomy just never quite got to what I experience, although it was somewhat there. And it's really therapeutic to have a depressed sim who still has a life, it kinda helps remind me that despite having depression my life is what I control. I love the sims (maybe because it's the one thing I have control over lol) and so having the ability to control a me-sim that's realistic is a substitute for my life! I was wondering if you could make a trait for OCD? As someone who has OCD I could always help you with the buffs and things (not modding though, I barely understand how to download a mod!) I'd really love to have more realistic traits available to people, and spread mental illness awareness. And for me it would be helpful to keep going and trying if I could have a sim with these problems that still succeeds in life, and I know many others would agree. <3 Thank you again for this custom trait!

I swear Sims is therapeutic in that it helps with control.... XD OCD is definitely something that I'd love to have represented and I would love to have input from someone who knows more about it than I do (I have a very minor case, personally, but nowhere near as bad as I know it can be). Currently I'm working in the anxiety spectrum for traits, but let's stay in contact!
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 25th Feb 2017 at 11:54 PM
Is this supposed to be compatible with toddlers? My toddler can have this trait, or is it a glitch?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 26th Feb 2017 at 7:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mayor-Of-Mustard
Is this supposed to be compatible with toddlers? My toddler can have this trait, or is it a glitch?

That... would be a glitch, one I've been unable to recreate on my end, but I'm assuming may be an issue with Zerbu's Mod Constructor as I don't believe the program has been updated for toddlers and their unique trait system.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#23 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 2:25 AM
I was reading through the buff effects, and thinking about my experience, like "Huh, am I at a +4 to sadness that often?" and then I realized, who am I kidding, compared to a non-depressed person, of course I am.

Thank you for this, very well-made!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#24 Old 14th Mar 2017 at 5:11 PM
Thank you so much for creating this mod. This is impeccable work. I am very appreciative of the time, effort, and thought(s) you have put into creating this mod. Thank you!!!! :))
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#25 Old 20th Mar 2017 at 5:00 PM
Thank you so much! Finally a depression mod that accurately represents how I feel and doesn't just place a constant "sad" buff all the time! I can't wait to try this out in game! I attempted to create my own depression mod when Zerbu first released the trait factory, but I couldn't get the hang of it, thanks so much for doing this. As a few suggestions from my ideas, could there be a bored or dazed buff (something to show the days when you're feel apathetic and cannot connect to anything)? I can't wait to see if you make more trait mods :D
Page 1 of 3