Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: Pick your weapon of choice!
Blender
24 13.04%
Milkshape
73 39.67%
Wings3d
16 8.70%
3dsmax
35 19.02%
Lightwave
4 2.17%
Maya
16 8.70%
Other (tell me which one)
16 8.70%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Alchemist
#26 Old 17th May 2005 at 3:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mod_bv
p.s. there's a free version of maya, the ple edition

As you would expect, the free versions of maya (ple) a 3DS (G-Max) don't have interfaces that allow work to be saved out in custom formats. If they did, who would buy the full version except for the highest end users.

What I tried of both, they seem to both be very powerful programs. Alas, the ticket price is higher that this potential rider wants to pay.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 17th May 2005 at 6:10 AM
For the first stages I go on xsi (modelling, mapping, skinning and animation) but unfortunelly I always have to convert it through various others, like max, deep exploration and now, for TS2, milkshape :] but I can't do without xsi, I'm so used to it
Instructor
Original Poster
#28 Old 22nd May 2005 at 12:19 AM Last edited by thefuzmixman : 22nd May 2005 at 12:23 AM.
joseph i recommend GMAX. ah wait i didn't even realize gmax doesnt allow for .3ds export and even if it did, u dont have milkshape to convert it to obj....

well there is open source project blender. very strange interface, but it's still intuative provided you watch the tutorial videos. mind you all i've seen in the videos are strictly about how to handle the interface. last i checked they did in no way cover modeling, but it's free and looks awfully powerful for a free editor. I also met someone who uses a program called Z modeler. i think that is free as well.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#29 Old 16th Jul 2005 at 1:53 PM
I only know Wings and Milkshape (I've never used the other tools), and anyway I guess that everyone has his own preferences...

My personal preference goes to Wings3D, it's *way* better than Milkshape: more flexible, more intuitive, more... modern. I know Milkshape since TS1: it was the main reason for me not to mod anything. But in a couple of weeks, I've come to master Wings3D (mind that I'm not specialized in mesh creation, though).

The only drawback is that Wings doesn't manages the bones at all. And therefore, every now and then, I have to use Milkshape in order to assign the vertices to the bones, when the mesh is ready.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 16th Jul 2005 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JWoods
I use an array of modeling tools but milkshapes trusty object exporting is my favorite... I also use UVmapper Classic another fine little tool... Deep paint I hear is great but I do not have it... I noticed about an object creation tutorial about low poly object creation... I have been working on a website to house a tutorial and some of my work... Maybe I am wrong but this tutorial seems to be exactly what is needed to cover the basics on object creation in the form of low poly/high texture detail object creating...

http://webpages.charter.net/cntrykm...ct_Tutorial.htm

As I mentioned the site is not finished but the tutorial page the link leads to is. The tutorial has already been beta tested(tutorial) and it is sound... If anyone wants to take a look and/or has recommendations feel free to comment...

Would love to see the tutorial, but the link posted here is not working.

Make a friend today and put a smile on your face! Lady De's Sims 2
Field Researcher
#31 Old 16th Jul 2005 at 4:13 PM Last edited by Max3D : 16th Jul 2005 at 4:17 PM.
YO ! 3dsMax RuleZ !!!
usually i render with vRay (global illumination) and then i render to texture so i have a great surface...^_^
i use wings3D to import/export in TS2 but i've alot of problem with SimPE (maybe i'll learn sooner or l8r)
Field Researcher
#32 Old 24th Jul 2005 at 4:40 PM
i am using cinema 4D
Field Researcher
#33 Old 27th Jul 2005 at 8:53 AM Last edited by nixie : 27th Jul 2005 at 10:18 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by JosephTheSim2k5
my milkshape just ran out and in need a decent free program... any suggestions? xxx

hi, try blender, wing3D or anima8or those are free one, let me just get the links for you in a jif.

Blender Freeware
http://www.blender3d.org/

Anim8tor Freeware
http://www.anim8or.com/main/

Maya Learning Edition
http://www.alias.com/eng/products-s...ple/index.shtml
(This is an old link, but you can click on home once there and look at bottom right hand side for the learning edition)

3D Canvas Freeware - a real-time 3D modeling and animation tool
http://www.amabilis.com/
(not very sure about this one)

wing3D - go to SimPE webpage and look for the tutorial list, link yourself to grandma wing3D tutorial, there's a link in that tutorial for downloading the software and also a tutorial on how to use that program to modthesims hehehe i use modthesims twice in this sentense. It's only a click away so here goes linkie: http://www.artistichabitats.com/Sim...utorialPage.htm

i believe this is a free 3D tools for game too, just found it lurking on SimsCity4 site. http://www4.discreet.com/gmax/
Want to create and play your own 3D character in your favorite video game? Do it with Autodesk Gmax. not sure that it support sims2 thou.

anyway, have fun and happy simming.
Test Subject
#34 Old 13th Aug 2005 at 6:49 PM
I use 3ds max 7. I needed it for school, and will continue to, so I got an $180 student lease. As far as Max, which is really hard but can be used for great stuff once you actually learn to use it, I'd have to use it anyways, so might as well make use of it.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 27th Aug 2005 at 2:29 PM
I used Milkshape once. Hence the strange Darth Sidious... Anyway, I've been asking around for a conversion of this file to .3ds or .obj, but nobody's interested. It's the Jedi Starfighter from Episode III. It's about 30MB, in MAX7 format, and comes in three colors: red, yellow, and blue. I hope this isn't spamming, but I thought that this thread would be a good place to ask around. Here's the link: http://www.scifi3d.com/details.asp?...atID=11&key=618
Test Subject
#36 Old 31st Aug 2005 at 4:55 AM
Kaiburr,

Again (think it was you I responded to in a different thread...)

http://www.habware.at/duck.htm

Look for Max2Obj, and Obj2Max

These are Plugins for Max that allow and handle import and export of OBJ files.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 2nd Sep 2005 at 2:42 AM
Thanks for the help, but the whole thing is I already used my free trial for MAX7, and most 13-year-olds that I know don't have $3,000 laying around. Thanks though.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 29th Oct 2005 at 8:04 PM Last edited by Samekh : 29th Oct 2005 at 8:25 PM.
I'm sure we've had this same conversation before Fuzz?! 3d programs can be prohibitively expensive. I've always liked GMAX with SimWardrobes plugins for import and export, but only recently I discovered that whole thing with smoothing and normals (normals information isn't translated properly if at all in the object files that GMAX, with help, can export) can be solved with Wings. The penny dropped about a month ago and I found out how easy and how possible it was to smooth the exports from GMAX in Wings and have that smoothing info carry through to the game. So, two completely free programs, a couple of free plugins available at this site and weyhey! GMAX has an integrated mapper also so that can all be done before the thing goes to Wings. It takes a little practice to learn how autosmoothing is applied in Wings, and I'm still learning the techniques and considerations, but I like it - I like how they work together! I started off very early on, Sims1, tinkering with Wings but I never found it as hands on as GMAX and you get a much better idea of what the finished object will look like in GMAX. Though Wings is also quite brilliant for what it can do.

There are a couple of key things to remember though (for anyone wishing to experiment with these two programs together), first off you'll need SimWardrobes plugin for importing the object files that SimPE can export. Why? I'm not sure, but I know that you have to do the following before exporting the object file. You must import an object file from the export of SimPE (use it as a template - that's quite useful for reminding you where bottoms or plates go - or any other Sim contact point) but more importantly you must move the original object (the thing that you want to replace that you've imported from SimPE) to one side and select it then click attach and attach it to the thing that you want to replace it, then delete all the vertices of the original. In my experience, if you don't do this before you export (using SimWardrobes second plugin) you'll have that issue, in game, where the faces presented to you are invisible. The third plug in from SimPE is the thing that converts the data from the maxscript window in GMAX into an object file. I think you'll find all three of these here if you go to 'Using GMAX with SimPE' or something, or do a search for GMAX. Smoothing in Wings: While you still have GMAX open, run a process on your object called 'Smooth' (not meshsmooth - that's different) and you test out your angles in the little box you get. For instance, if you put in 45 you can expect all 45 degree angles in the selected object to appear smoothed. Be cautious about going above 90 because most people don't want to smooth right angles. Remember that number where it looks right because it's a good guide for what you do with the object in Wings. When you import it into wings (import Wavefront object) it's whatever you called it with Sim Wardrobes little tool. Select the whole object (there are two options I think, one is for faces one is for the whole object) right click and select autosmooth, put in the number (the angle in 'smooth') that looked good in GMAX and click ok or return. Then export the whole thing as a wavefront object.

Anyone who needs help I'm usually around.
Instructor
Original Poster
#39 Old 30th Oct 2005 at 2:37 AM
Samekh I'm glad you now understand how import smoothing groups are and how they can really help bring down the polys. I see your pipepline is around just as complicated as my own. the max series is semi-notorious for having to have workarounds for the exporting "limitations" associated with the 3ds format. For one the 3ds format does not allow more then one uv vertex per mesh vertex. So in sense, 3DS will break those vertices out of the limit and you will appear to have some smoothing issue when certain faces will not retain the contiguous smoothing you've applied to it. I'm not 100% familar with GMAX but i have seen it in action, and appears to look just like it's big brother. If anyone does run into this problem, there is no concrete workaround, but at least if you understand what is happening you can aim to prevent it.

xD
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#40 Old 2nd Nov 2005 at 2:01 AM
I am doing body meshes, and quite love Modtool.
Test Subject
#41 Old 2nd Nov 2005 at 5:20 AM
I use Maya 5, I need to get a new version, but it still works great. But I haven't used it in a while now, and I was in the middle of learning it, so I'm worried I'm gonna be rusty once again... But I haven't yet learned how to make meshes with it for Sims 2, and I'm rather overwhelmed actually with these tutorials. It still seems complicated.... I really want some new clothes meshes, specific ones, for my Sims. But I'm so new to doing this..... Argh, and I tell ya what. I HATE being a combination of creative and lazy. Cause then I just get all these ideas of what I want to make and then I realise how hard it is to learn to make it, and I get rather discouraged. But I still don't want to give up.....

The learning process is the hardest part after all, but its where you gotta start from obviously.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 5th Nov 2005 at 9:22 AM
i use ' Rhinoceros 3D 3.0 ' i think it is the easyest 3D moderling program around, i also use ' Milkshape '
Instructor
Original Poster
#43 Old 5th Nov 2005 at 9:28 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't rhino exclusively for high polygon modeling? Using nurbs and the like. Not entirely sure that would be the best modeling package for video games...

xD
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 24th Nov 2005 at 8:55 PM
as for me and My, um.. Rather Different objects to Download...They were all Made with Lightwave Modeler 8.0 , I also use Milkshape..But only for assigning joints and the such..
i use adobe Photoshop CS 1 For texturing and my roommates Digital camera.

~Real

Little Yellow Rubber Ducks
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 8:41 AM
Modeling:
3ds Max, it makes sense.
I tried Milkshape and didn't like it.
I tried Blender and didn't like it.
I tried TrueSpace and it crashed.
I tried Wings and didn't like it.
I tried Maya and didn't get it.
I tried Houdinni and didn't understand it. ;-)
Occassionally, I use the UnrealEngine to make base models of things Max doesn't like to do (complex booleens). Just export a brush.... ;-)

Pax,
Indigo
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 8:38 PM
I would have to say 3dmax 6 and milkshape, I also use poser 4 and 5 for modeling.
I have yet to upload anything for the sims 2 other then a couple recolors. I am kind of waiting for the animation process to be concord before diving in to deep.
I think 3dmax is a lil to much and milkshape is not enough.
I didn't like TrueSpace either.
I don't think I have tried any other's
"Oh ya there was a java based 3d editor and modeler I tried a year ago or so can't remeaber the name"

Quote:
Modeling:
3ds Max, it makes sense.
I tried Milkshape and didn't like it.
I tried Blender and didn't like it.
I tried TrueSpace and it crashed.
I tried Wings and didn't like it.
I tried Maya and didn't get it.
I tried Houdinni and didn't understand it. ;-)
Occassionally, I use the UnrealEngine to make base models of things Max doesn't like to do (complex booleens). Just export a brush.... ;-)

Pax,
Indigo

I have a simular problem crashing milkshape.
#47 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 7:23 AM
Maya 6 for modeling and uv mapping, paint shop pro 8 for coloring the map
Alchemist
#48 Old 14th Dec 2005 at 6:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mod_bv
i use milkshape, but i also have have lithunwrap, maya ple, and wings3D. i want to use wings badly, but i'm beter at using milkshape. i haven't submited any of my stuff yet, only because i cant texture well

p.s. there's a free version of maya, the ple edition

Alas, it doesn't save anything and the plugin interface is undocumented (for PLE), so making an object exporter to TS2 seems an impossible task. I tried to develop a converter, but I apparently am not smart enough to decipher the undocumented PLE file save format.

Of course, they will sell you a license to allow you to make plugins for the PLE for your particular game of choice, but they want the kind of money that buys many acres of land here in Texas.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 4:58 PM
I use Wings 3D for the few models I make. It has a good interface and is free. Gotta love the free stuff. Oh and UVMapper Classic for UV editing. Sometimes I use Wings 3D's built in UV mapper though.

(()) Pass the ribbon around if you know someone that
//\\ has survived, died, or is living with cancer.

98% of all humans are actually crocodiles in disguise. If you're one of the 2% who aren't, copy and paste this into your signature.

New Google Toolbar with Spell Check: Google Toolbar
Field Researcher
#50 Old 18th Dec 2005 at 5:03 PM
I chose other but I actually use
Wings 3D and
Anim8or http://www.anim8or.com/main/index.html
Page 2 of 3