Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 6:50 AM
Help me,please.. Why I can't enable custom content even though I press to enable?
Well,firstly,when I run the game a notification in blue background appears,saying that lately custom content was always unabled and If I want downloaded objects to show up in the sims 2 I have to choose to enable It and then restart whole game.Seems pretty easy,but It isn't,because when I return to the game the same notification appears with the same requirements...I don't get It. Why I can't save new options? Even in settings menu I can't change something,because It doesn't stick there after I reload game...
Any advice?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 7:10 AM
Check that you are the administrator on your computer. We had a similar question not long ago, I think their problem was something to do with a windows 10 setting.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 8:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Check that you are the administrator on your computer. We had a similar question not long ago, I think their problem was something to do with a windows 10 setting.

Yes, I did..the setting is correct
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 9:26 AM
Try right clicking and running the game as administrator and see if that changes anything.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 11:54 AM
After you change the options, go into a throwaway hood, load a family, let time run a few seconds, then save and quit.

Options should be saved as soon as you click out of that box, but maybe forcing the game to perform a save operation will help?

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#6 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 11:56 AM
Make sure the saved files aren't stuck on read-only. Right click on the folder (EA Games/The Sims 2/ in documents unless it's UC), go to Properties, and make sure the read-only check is blank.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#7 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 11:58 AM
There are two things you have to do to enable Custom Content in this game. Make sure you're doing both. See the first two screenshots. You must:

1) Set "Display Custom Content Dialog" to "Off". This should turn off the nag screen.
2) Click the asterisk (star). It's a button and will open another dialog.
3) Select the box labeled "Enable Custom Content". Click the "OK" button. Exit your game and restart it. This should be all you need to do.

If your game works properly now, you can ignore the rest of this post.

If the above still does not work: is it possible that something in your My Documents folder got set to "read-only"? I have more than one gaming account on my computer and enabling CC was something that had to be done separately for each account. This means it's unlikely to be something in the main program files and more likely to be something in the game's config files in My Documents.

I'm not familiar with the folder layout for Windows 10 or the Ultimate Collection, so someone may have to translate these instructions for your computer. On my computer, which runs a disk-based game on Windows 7, I would do the following (see the last two screenshots):

1) Navigate to My Documents > EA Games > The Sims 2
2) Right-click the Config folder and click "Properties" on the menu. This will open a dialog box.
3) Un-check the box labeled "Read-only". It should be empty like the box under it. Click "OK". The computer should now mark all the files in the Config folder as writable so that you can change the settings.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 12:13 AM
Default the problem has been solved, thanks for your help
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
There are two things you have to do to enable Custom Content in this game. Make sure you're doing both. See the first two screenshots. You must:

1) Set "Display Custom Content Dialog" to "Off". This should turn off the nag screen.
2) Click the asterisk (star). It's a button and will open another dialog.
3) Select the box labeled "Enable Custom Content". Click the "OK" button. Exit your game and restart it. This should be all you need to do.

If your game works properly now, you can ignore the rest of this post.

If the above still does not work: is it possible that something in your My Documents folder got set to "read-only"? I have more than one gaming account on my computer and enabling CC was something that had to be done separately for each account. This means it's unlikely to be something in the main program files and more likely to be something in the game's config files in My Documents.

I'm not familiar with the folder layout for Windows 10 or the Ultimate Collection, so someone may have to translate these instructions for your computer. On my computer, which runs a disk-based game on Windows 7, I would do the following (see the last two screenshots):

1) Navigate to My Documents > EA Games > The Sims 2
2) Right-click the Config folder and click "Properties" on the menu. This will open a dialog box.
3) Un-check the box labeled "Read-only". It should be empty like the box under it. Click "OK". The computer should now mark all the files in the Config folder as writable so that you can change the settings.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 12:16 AM
Thank you everyone for helping me
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 12:50 AM
Is it working?

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#11 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 2:23 AM
Just jumping in where I don't belong. Don't mind me. Jo, he's saying his problem is solved and thanking everyone for your help. I'm so glad he let us know. Often, the poster just goes away and no one knows what became of the issue.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#12 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 11:45 AM
I'm glad you were able to get your game working.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Nov 2016 at 8:49 AM
Default yes,thanks
Is it working?

yes, I was always afraid of using custom contents,I worry about some problem on my game, the problem is that I install on my game all I think it's cool or beautiful, I have 4GB of files in my downloads folder
I may have exaggerated a little
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 6th Nov 2016 at 8:49 AM
Default hehehe
I'm glad you were able to get your game working.

thank you mate
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 6th Nov 2016 at 10:00 AM
Plenty of us here with 10, 20 and more GB of content.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 7th Nov 2016 at 6:12 PM
Plenty of us here with 10, 20 and more GB of content.

so if this is not the problem, I'll be able to have things peacefully
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 22nd May 2017 at 3:24 AM
" 1) Navigate to My Documents > EA Games > The Sims 2
3) Un-check the box labeled "Read-only". It should be empty like the box under it. Click "OK". The computer should now mark all the files in the Config folder as writable so that you can change the settings. "

lt solved my problem perfectly
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 22nd May 2017 at 3:33 AM
How much content you can handle depends on your computer, if you are running the game on a little netbook I do not recommend 10-20 gigs of content! If you have a super computer you can probably go even higher. Good content is addictive.

~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 22nd May 2017 at 6:46 AM
How much content you can handle depends on your computer, if you are running the game on a little netbook I do not recommend 10-20 gigs of content! If you have a super computer you can probably go even higher. Good content is addictive.

omg, yeah.. it is..
I can not stop downloading new files for my game .. lol
Scholar
#20 Old 22nd May 2017 at 3:40 PM
Oh, mine is only 8 gigs

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Mad Poster
#21 Old 22nd May 2017 at 8:04 PM
Since getting the new desktop machine, my Downloads folder has gone from just over 3 gigs to just over 5 gigs.

(I've discovered custom hairs - somebody help me! )
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 22nd May 2017 at 10:51 PM
Since getting the new desktop machine, my Downloads folder has gone from just over 3 gigs to just over 5 gigs.

(I've discovered custom hairs - somebody help me! )

As in you need moar?

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#23 Old 23rd May 2017 at 10:54 AM
No, as in - how do I STOP???? Oooh - there's some more cool-looking ones that I don't have yet!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 23rd May 2017 at 11:02 PM
I know-I was being jokingly sarcastic.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#25 Old 24th May 2017 at 11:43 AM
Yes I know. This stuff is ADDICTIVE!
Page 1 of 2