Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#26 Old 14th Oct 2016 at 12:33 AM
It'd be nice if this forum software let you quote multiple posts easier; seen the option on vBulletin.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 11:38 PM
This is quite informative. Have you considered creating an article on the SimsWiki page? I don't think I've seen a webpage documenting a timeline of the game's development. These pictures are neat.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Scholar
#28 Old 18th Oct 2016 at 2:14 AM
You know those infamous articles on Neighborhood & Game Corruption that's on the SimsWiki? Many players like to refer to that when sourcing that an action the player does to their game may not be good. Before 2012, that article never existed. Heck, no such article on the game's corruption was documented for folks to read and learn. That knowledge was passed around by users who've explored the game's files, who've learned from experiences, etc. Yet, the problem was that the knowledge was fragmented. You'd have to search around the Internet to find that knowledge yourself. It required digging around through posts and threads, much of which are lost to time (and lost through a sea of new discussions). As well, you'd never know if what was claimed was accurate or inaccurate information. There was no standard in what was to learn and retain for your game's longevity.

There are people who have this knowledge & who will not hang around this or any other community forever. Real life matters take over, people become disinterested in their game, or other matters take over. That knowledge gets lost and can take long before it is rediscovered. Maybe even small details about a topic will not be recovered at all. The point is, an article that can be accessed by the masses, such as from the SimsWiki, is a very valuable resource. It's documented to leave a longer lasting impression. It doesn't require a user to register on forums to dig for the information, it doesn't rely on a handful of people who possess that information to get it from (and who may otherwise disappear without notice). More importantly, it can be expanded upon by others willing to continue with compiling that knowledge.

That article on avoiding neighborhood/game corruption came about from a discussion here in this thread about a list of non-intuitive things not to do in a sims game, back in 2012. It began as a crude looking article seen here:

Very primitive, but it was the start of a major development. That article started by Babahara was a copy/paste of a list of things that can corrupt the game. Later on, I came in and added the reasoning over why such actions (for each action) will corrupt the game. I didn't find taking that list for granted would work as well as elaborating over their problems in the game. I also helped pretty it a bit. That article is a collaborative effort by others in making it a significant article for folks to use to guide themselves in playing their game safely. From an idea came a reality, so to speak. And guess what? There's very little sourcing over the claims in that article, much of it can very well be speculation! Yet, the reasons for those claims feel compelling enough to be followed through.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what was the point of my post?

Well, I find that having an article on The Sims 2's beta history to be an interesting read to have. I'm sure others would like to see it as well. Every small detail that can be mustered up would be a wonderful thing to see. You, frogz2007, possess knowledge about its development history. Although you may find some of your knowledge to be speculation, such an article needs a beginning. The speculative parts of the article will be pruned out in the future by others who wish to contribute and collaborate to make it more significant. Maybe some claims will be sourced, who knows! Instead of making a thread to be lost to time, why not document it on a more permanent medium instead? Also, other people with knowledge about its beta history can contribute to it too, making it an even more interesting read to have, with pictures and whatnot. Instead of having small bits of knowledge fragmented all over the Internet, have it complied in one big article so others can see it and learn from it.

And if you though you wrote long posts, I certainly beat you to it! LOL.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Mad Poster
#29 Old 21st Oct 2016 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
Loki Beaker had 1 design before the final one was done. Here it is:

Reminds me of the Scientist 1/"Walter" model in the first Half-Life game, except completely bald:
http://combineoverwiki.net/images/0...scientist01.png

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#30 Old 23rd Oct 2016 at 12:20 PM
Ooh, I like Jenny's sleeved shirt, and Romeo's trousers!

I'm confused about the strangetown screenshot though. The grey house looks like the Singles' house except the final one was more built on. And the lot across the street is a community lot which is still there; I made it over in my game into a nightclub.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#31 Old 24th Oct 2016 at 10:32 PM
While we're on the subject, does anyone know anything about the Sims/houses in the opening cinematic intro? I've watched it many times to see if I could recognize anything but never much luck.

Lab Assistant
#32 Old 19th Nov 2016 at 8:02 AM Last edited by JMarcos123 : 19th Nov 2016 at 2:47 PM. Reason: added pic
I'm amazed at how much imagery from Sims 2 Beta you have. I have a folder full of pics and videos (I have a weird obsession, plus It's already more difficult to look up this stuff just by googling "Sims 2 Beta" than it was 2 years ago, so I'm saving everything I can) and some of the content you posted I had never seen before! I guess I'll be adding these to my collection

One more thing, in that pic that seems like the earliest image we have from Sims 2, the house we see has the same layout as the Goth house from Sims 1 I guess it actually is the Goth family (really early in development).
EDIT: I'm talking about this pic:
Scholar
#33 Old 19th Nov 2016 at 10:49 AM
As we can also see, it's not just sims and graphics being redesigned, objects are being redesigned too. Look at the xylophone and the baby furniture.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Top Secret Researcher
#34 Old 19th Nov 2016 at 12:58 PM
What have they done to the old lighting... noooo...

The sims in the picures look way better in that lighting.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 19th Nov 2016 at 2:37 PM Last edited by JMarcos123 : 19th Nov 2016 at 2:37 PM. Reason: typo
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Riverside!

IIRC, Mark realized while making Riverside that a screenshot of the original, pre-server-fire premade neighborhood was used for the background there, one of the few traces remaining of it. So if you look at his Riverside, you should get a match.

um... I thought that screenshot was Waterside, not Riverside? IIRC these were 2 different neighborhoods, despite the similar names...
Top Secret Researcher
#36 Old 20th Nov 2016 at 8:47 AM
They probably had different versions of games with two different interfaces. I suppose the "school bus" UI was finished then, but was not the final version of UI. They probably still used it because the E3 UI was still unfinished and in development. But it was used at E3 because that was their vision of the final UI.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 21st Nov 2016 at 1:40 AM
I'm positive that it started off as Riverside, and then it was renamed to Waterside a bit before the E3 demo, and then it got scrapped. Riverside was around since at least December 2nd of 2003, according to a datestamp on a file name of a Riverside flythrough (sims2_flythru_120203_hi). It's odd how the E3 demo UI is in place in said video, yet in the Smith family image I linked, it used the "school bus" UI, and is seemingly closer to the final release. It's a bit confusing, to say the least. A video of this flythrough is right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO-5JPFxe9c

But this doesn't make sense. Waterside is so much different from Riverside. Plus, Riverside's terrain is basically the same as the one used for Pleasantview. I think Riverside eventually became Pleasantview and Waterside was a nhood designed just used for that demo. It literally only contains placeholder lots from the bin (duplicated multiple times). Or maybe it was even planned to be shipped with the game, then got scrapped for some other reason, idk. Maybe that's the reason the name "Riverside" was replaced with "Pleasantview", so that there wouldn't be 2 nhoods with similar names. But I don't think Waterside and Riverside had any type of correlation. I mean, Pleasantview (Riverside) and Waterside even existed at the same time in the Will Wright demo.
Test Subject
#38 Old 21st Nov 2016 at 7:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
While we're on the subject, does anyone know anything about the Sims/houses in the opening cinematic intro? I've watched it many times to see if I could recognize anything but never much luck.
they could be from Lakeview or Europa or even from Riverside or Waterside, since they never said what families was on those neighborhoods
Mad Poster
#39 Old 23rd Nov 2016 at 1:06 PM
I expect they just made that intro with entirely disconnected lots and families, not an established hood.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Test Subject
#40 Old 26th Nov 2016 at 12:50 AM
yes,and it could be like the ones from sims 1 intro made only for demonstration of the game

"Change my dear, and it's seen in a moment too soon"
- Sixth Doctor
Test Subject
#41 Old 27th Nov 2016 at 2:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JMarcos123
I'm amazed at how much imagery from Sims 2 Beta you have. I have a folder full of pics and videos (I have a weird obsession, plus It's already more difficult to look up this stuff just by googling "Sims 2 Beta" than it was 2 years ago, so I'm saving everything I can) and some of the content you posted I had never seen before! I guess I'll be adding these to my collection

One more thing, in that pic that seems like the earliest image we have from Sims 2, the house we see has the same layout as the Goth house from Sims 1 I guess it actually is the Goth family (really early in development).
EDIT: I'm talking about this pic:

Maybe Sims 2 was like some 3d engine for sims 1 and then later they changed because it was better to be a whole new game rather to be only a 3d engine for sims 1, ohh god why we don't have the older lightining that colors jump at you why,and the hairstyles , some were really cool, it's just me or in some of the pics have unused Wallpapers ?

- Sixth Doctor
Mad Poster
#42 Old 1st Dec 2016 at 10:10 PM
That looks like the house that's reflected in the rear window of the taxi.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 1st Dec 2016 at 11:04 PM
It makes sense that you didn't recognize that. How many people besides me actually get bored enough that they watch details like reflections in service vehicle windows?
Test Subject
#44 Old 1st Dec 2016 at 11:24 PM
The engines are a whole different story. I dug through Sims 2 PS2's ARC files thanks to a guy who had made me a script to extract them, and I remember opening some files in a hex editor and saw it mentioned BHAV's, which is what Sims 1 and 2 for PC uses! I am positive that all of the console games use the same engine, but Urbz and the rest of them are basically overhauled versions of the Sims 1 console / Bustin' Out engine. Sims 2 for consoles has a lot of leftovers from both BO and Urbz, and I ended up confirming that Sims 2 was indeed Urbz 2 since I had seen a rumor about it. I know for a fact it's true since in the GameCube version's files, there are some compilation leftovers, and it mentions the game project folder name as "urbz2". Edge of Reality made Sims 1's engine, and I know that in the executable file for Sims 2 PS2, it mentions EOR Engine or something like that, so that tells us that they had revamped the whole engine and reused it for Urbz and the other titles.

EDIT: Sims 2's base game splash file has an unused splash screen song in there. It sounds weird, and a bit out of place, and sounds like something from Sims 1 or Bustin' Out.

Does anyone else take an interest in the oddities which some of the Specter victims have? Melissa Sims is probably the one which interests me the most, as her name is a female name, and her headpose depicts here as a teenage girl, but her gender and age flags say she's an adult male. I'm trying to think of why this may have happened, since in her character file she has the 2 unused headposes of her as both an adult AND elder female with an unused hairstyle and her true genetic face which she gets if you take her to a mirror. Her eye color also changes to her unused headpose eyes (green). Same with Luc Smith! He's depicted as a teen, yet he is actually an adult and he has 2 unused headposes of him as both an adult (he's shirtless for whatever reason as an adult) and and elder. It makes me think that at one point the game would pre-generate elder thumbnails once a Sim ages up to an adult and caches it in the character file until the Sim ages up to an Elder, and then it goes into use. This makes at least some sense, since Caliban Capp has this same oddity: He's depicted as an adult in his headpose, yet in his character file there is an elder headpose (with an unused hairstyle) can be found. Hula Zombie and Therapist have this same quirk. Though it is rather odd how Melissa is flagged as a male, which is what I don't get. I wish a build of Sims 2 would leak, where all of these Specter victims are actual, living Sims and are playable in the state which they were in before they got jacked up, but I'm sure it won't happen.

Yes i have an interest on glitched sims, oh by the way where did you finded the unused splashscreen sound ?

- Sixth Doctor
Test Subject
#45 Old 2nd Dec 2016 at 3:14 AM
Oh it's the credits music if i'm correct, but i'm not sure i will check tomorrow

- Sixth Doctor
Scholar
#46 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 4:18 PM
Something's not right about that aqueduct in my eyes.

Did that go through a retexture, or is it just me?

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#47 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 2:58 AM
the "page 2" reference; different members have different settings for posts per page. my setting is 100 posts per thread page.

about the Monty house; the shipped version I think is the ground level floor + several levels that have mainly roof.
maybe the second floor was for several of the Monty members.
and perhaps the house was remodeled after any of these events::
-death/deaths of Claudio & Olivia.
-the alive descendants moving out.
Mad Poster
#48 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 11:24 AM
The house that ended up being used as the Monty ranch in the shipped version of Veronaville is the one on the far right of that screenshot. It only looks different because it's facing away from the camera and you're looking at the back yard. The shipped version of Veronaville has it facing in the other direction.

The two story house does appear to have been the one used in the early Monty screenshots. That's still in Veronaville too, also turned the other way around. I wonder why they moved the Monty family to the other one.

A car appears to be crossing the bridge over the canal. Interesting.
Instructor
#49 Old 31st Jan 2017 at 4:38 PM
The Summerdream house is also in a different position (closer to the canal, reversed facing) and currently unoccupied. Yet you can still make out the little staging!
Page 2 of 3