Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#26 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 6:59 PM
I think for Gimp it's either this one: http://registry.gimp.org/node/70
This guy seemed to have a fix of some sort but I've never tried it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5eJYATovmw

Worth a try! ^-^
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 24th Jun 2016 at 10:17 PM
Alright. When I get home from work in a couple hours I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Thanks again.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 25th Jun 2016 at 1:12 AM
Oh! That's the dds plugin. I have that, I'm just not sure how to get MTL files into Gimp to be able to convert it. I'll keep fiddling with it, but if I get stuck, I might need to ask for a png file of the textures or something.
Virtual gardener
#29 Old 25th Jun 2016 at 11:49 AM
MTL are the Materials saved within the obj file, also known as the information of textures it carries. Those files are just information based. The images I gave you in that download are the textures we're talking about. Just place them in Gimp and if needed, resize them to 1024x1024 and save it. For the specular map you do need to work with an alpha channel so you just need to copy the texture to the alpha channel and save it as a DXT5 as I mentioned before. Then, import them into TRSW and that's about it for the textures.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#30 Old 25th Jun 2016 at 4:06 PM
Ohhh. That's what you meant. Wow. My brain pulled a stupid there, haha. Time to go knock some sense into myself and then try and finish this up! Texturing the ship is going to be interesting. Time to figure out which piece on that map goes where. If I have any more troubles, I'll let you know, but for now, I think I'm done with this converting stuff. Well.... except one other item I'm working on. I'm going to end up losing my mind with all this crap. xD

Thanks again, though. I really appreciate all the help.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 26th Jun 2016 at 2:13 AM
Do you have any suggestions for texturing the ship? I'm trying to make it look like the actual thing, of course, with the right metal pattern, colors and all that jazz. However, given the awkward way the multiplier is positioned (no offense to you; you did a great job) with pieces of the same thing all over the place, it's hard to get everything right. For example, it's hard to tell which parts are the nacelles for example, but I know where the lettering on the front of the ship would go. ...I think. I'm not sure if you do texturing, but I didn't see any specific forum to ask on. If you don't, that's alright. I'll get creative.
Virtual gardener
#32 Old 26th Jun 2016 at 12:54 PM
Well I've converted a lot over the year and what helped me out was using the original texture (if you have that one) And apply it on yours, but of course since I changed the UV mapping, you should probably do the 'selecting, copy/cut paste' like I usually do. If you're not sure where some textures belong, usually what I do is selecting that part in Blender and see where the UV map shows up or selecting it by using L on certain places on your mesh.

For the best setup for this you can follow this tutorial I made (just without the texture editing part since its... well a hair tutorial), but the setup and the selecting part works the same way: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...033#post5033033

Else you could hand-draw your textures with the baked texture as reference like I usually do. It could be a bit hard to do that if you've never edited textures the manual way but there are some ways to make it as awesome as you like.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 26th Jun 2016 at 7:45 PM
Most objects can be converted provided that you manage to get them into an obj format.

However, the Sims 3 usually uses single texture maps, so you may need to use multiple groups in TSRW or remap the object with a single texture map.
Virtual gardener
#34 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 2:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Most objects can be converted provided that you manage to get them into an obj format.

However, the Sims 3 usually uses single texture maps, so you may need to use multiple groups in TSRW or remap the object with a single texture map.

It can be possible to have two sorts of maps. But those are basically textures that are linked within the MLOD/MODL files. But these things are pretty hard to accomplish without having a grey-looking object all the sudden.

But the UV map being so screwed up is probably because of the way it was extracted. I've had that with SimPE as well when I exported it as a obj. and I ended up fixing it by exporting it as another file. I've used a lot of extracting programs over the years and it's pretty common for programs to sometimes screw up the UV map. Especially when they're still in some sort of development. >-<
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#35 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 6:12 PM
Unfortunately, the object didn't come with an original texture (or at least, I didn't see one); it was slaved from something else and was only one color (it was meant to be put in a display case), which is why I wanted it remapped. Do you think it might work better if it was extracted a different way, Green? I'll attach the original file below since I'm not sure how to extract it as anything else in SimPE, and you're the one with experience with this type of thing. It'd be awesome if you could figure out a way to make this a little easier.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Modular Furniture Series 4- Display Case Model, Intrepid-Class Starship- SLAVE.rar (64.0 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Virtual gardener
#36 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 7:25 PM
So I took a look at it, and there wasn't a texture file nor a LIFO. So I went to the site that the description pointed me to, and it seems that they're gold?: http://blueheavensims.blogspot.nl/2...bservation.html

I mean it would make things easier to make the texture just one colour without shading, But to be honest I was expecting like some detailed ship texture.

Also, exporting files correctly can be done this way: Search the GMDC file and go to the plugin viewer (if it's not there, you can add it by clicking on the window tag). And then click on 'export' in the plugin viewer.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#37 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 7:53 PM
Yeah; the original item was supposedly "slaved" from another item, meaning it took its texture files. I may end up just having to leave it a singular color, unfortunately... but I really was hoping to get it to look like the actual Voyager. I found a little delta flyer module with the correct textures so I wanted to try texturing the shop so I would have a matching pair. I'll attempt extracting as another file type to see if that changes how the UV mapping sits and see if it makes things any simpler. If not, I might have to give up. or see if I can find someone who is really good at texturing to give me a hand.

Up next is the little ST themed mobile I found, I guess. Thank god it has textures that came with it so there is little to fight with since I'm not going to put details on that. ...I don't think. ...though now I'm tempted. (I'm addicted.)
Virtual gardener
#38 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 9:15 PM
Here, textures are with the download. But If it comes to publishing the set, I would first see if you're allowed to use certain parts: http://xnalara-customized.deviantar...0-XPS-364893739
And of course add credits if you can use them.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#39 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 10:48 PM
I have to ask; are you intending for me to use the model or just the textures? I'm honestly not sure which would be easier, haha.

Also, I don't plan on publishing anything. I may give it to a friend if they really want it, but otherwise I only intend for the things we've made in this thread to be for my own personal use.
Virtual gardener
#40 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 10:54 PM
Textures actually. Unless you think using the model and textures both would work out for you.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#41 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 12:43 AM
I'm not sure. It might be easier to use the model designed for the textures, but I have no idea how I would do it. I'm not even sure which files in the RAR/ZIP (whichever it was) that I downloaded are the texture files. I'm also not sure what the best way to assign the textures to the model we've been working on. What do you think?
Virtual gardener
#42 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 12:01 PM
Usually they're TGA. I'm not sure if GIMP can open it, but Photoshop can in default. Same for TIFF. Because if it was a different file, it would have lost it's necessary alpha channel. Sometimes they come with PNG files, but that's rare.

Though these seems to come with TGA files. And the one you want is the: Intrepid1,2 and 3.

Oh! And I would get Xnalara to export the mesh.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#43 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 9:43 PM
I think I might give exporting the mesh a try. I have my fingers crossed that it'll make things much easier to put the textures on it. Now all I have to figure out is how to export everything.

Edit: Aaaand the program won't even load. This could take awhile. -facepalm-
Virtual gardener
#44 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 9:55 PM
Quote:
Oh! And I would get Xnalara to export the mesh.

Here is Xnalara: http://www.core-design.com/community_xps.html

Here is how to add a model to Xnalara: http://xnalara.home-forum.com/t237-...from-a-download
And if you have you Model imported, just choose the 'Modify' tag and click 'export scene as obj.'
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#45 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 10:28 PM
Oh, I knew that I needed the program. It was just the steps I wondered about as I've never used Xnalara. First though, I have to get the program to run properly. Right now it won't start up.
Virtual gardener
#46 Old 30th Jun 2016 at 9:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by OkamiFukuro
Oh, I knew that I needed the program. It was just the steps I wondered about as I've never used Xnalara. First though, I have to get the program to run properly. Right now it won't start up.

I had that too! I can't remember if I unzipped it or something, but I would try 7zip instead of Winrar. (if you need to unzip the tool) For some reason, I also installed it here: C:\ but it seem to work for me. Though i'm using version 11.1 so. Else I could extract those models.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#47 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 12:14 AM
I might need you to extract the models and stuff for me. :/ I know I have everything the program needs installed, but it keeps instantly crashing on me. I must be missing a step somewhere, but at the moment, I have no idea what step that would be. If you want to give it a shot, that'd be awesome.
Virtual gardener
#48 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 2:23 PM
Allright, I shared it with you in private, i'm not sure if I can post those things in public since it probably would interfere with anything TOU-like. >-<
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#49 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 2:32 PM Last edited by OkamiFukuro : 1st Jul 2016 at 3:42 PM.
Awesome, thanks so much! I'll see if I can get the multiplier working in blender; hopefully I won't need it remapped. >.< How much do you want to bet I will? xD

I wonder if I could just combine all three texture sets into one image and use that as a multiplier... hmm.

Edit: Well, I got the mesh into TSRW; however my plan for all the textures in one image did not work. Unwrapping the object as one single mesh (the mesh I had to put in TSRW)... I'm not sure if the mapping is okay or not. I'm not sure if unmapping it piece by piece from the original mesh would work better or not.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#50 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 4:27 PM
So, the multiplier definitely isn't working right. I've attached the multiplier I made so you can see it, as well as a picture of how it reacted in game.
Screenshots
Page 2 of 7