Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#26 Old 4th Feb 2016 at 7:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pikeman101
Why is it that people think The Sims is just for girls? I've always found it to be refreshingly unisex.

The Sims series has always been (unfairly) perceived as just being a virtual dollhouse, it probably stems from that.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 4th Feb 2016 at 8:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
The Sims series has always been (unfairly) perceived as just being a virtual dollhouse, it probably stems from that.
It's been called a virtual dollhouse since the beginning, maybe even by Wright himself. I don't know who disagreed with you, but maybe they were thinking of that.

I think the whole "you aren't a real gamer" stems from insecure people who feel a strong need to make such classifications and then try to imply that they are somehow better.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#28 Old 4th Feb 2016 at 10:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
It's been called a virtual dollhouse since the beginning, maybe even by Wright himself.

I couldn't remember if the virtual dollhouse labeling originated in the marketing. I still stand by the statement, even if that branding was self-created, it cheapens the series and is likely why some people see it as a "girl's game".

I don't know who disagreed with you,

I don't know, but you better believe this is me right now:
Mad Poster
#29 Old 4th Feb 2016 at 11:30 AM
Haha - nice!

I think we need to move the discussion away from defining "real" gaming as being the provenance of boys or shooting or violence. There's no reason not to consider a "doll house" inferior or less in any way.

I liked the way Wright stated it,
Quote:
...women have a higher standard of leisure entertainment than men do. They tend to go for entertainment that are a little more expressive. Also entertainment that connects back to them and has some personal meaning. The Sims allows a path where you can play it as a deep personal reflection of yourself.
Source

Instead of rising to the challenge of "Sims players are not real gamers", I suggest we respond by rejecting definitions of what a "real game" or "gamer" is and further point out that it's not necessary to compete.

Lab Assistant
#30 Old 4th Feb 2016 at 12:24 PM
I pretty much agree with TRobbins on this. I think in order to be considered a gamer you have to play multiple games as a hobby, not just one. With society moving more towards digital, it's only natural that digital things be more in the norm of our hobbies and activities even if it's playing a simple minigame on our phones while we wait for whatever. Another way of looking at it is trying to say someone is a couch potato because they religiously watch one tv show per week. I feel as though in order to be defined as such you need to be doing the hobby for the majority of your free time and like multiple fascists of the hobby in general, otherwise I'd just define you as a fan of x product.

Also looking at this from another side, I think the whole argument about people trying to call each other out on who is a "real gamer" and who isn't is pretty much based on the idea that a long time ago gaming was considered lame and nerdy. That changed some time ago and the people who got made fun of for playing games are annoyed with the people who now say they do in order to be cool even if "they aren't a real gamer". I can see why people get aggravated over it but there are worse things you can say you do in order to be cool. Seems pretty harmless to me although silly.

Another reason why people get mad over it is because there seems to be a growing wave of "dumbing down" of games in order to cater to the casual audience. While this might be more of a gamer vs hardcore gamer issue....In general almost all games have gotten not only a lot easier, but simpler and franchises watered down from their many mechanics. Even the sims series suffers from this for reasons I think that are more than just cost-effective related. There has to be some crazy reason EA thinks we don't like or really care about certain mechanics when we do, and I feel this kind of thing is a part of it.
Inventor
#31 Old 4th Feb 2016 at 1:32 PM
I don't consider someone a gamer based on what they are playing, but the amount of games and hours they are playing. Someone who just plays the Sims a couple of hours a week, I see as just a casual player. For me the term "gamer" defines someone who has gaming as a hobby, that put a huge amount of time into it.. Also you play to achieve new goals and challenges. Solitair and Candy Crush does not make you a gamer in my eyes. That's pure time killing.

Personally I don't see my self as a typical gamer. I just enjoy gaming ^^
Theorist
#32 Old 4th Feb 2016 at 10:12 PM
I don't see how number of games played is relevant.

Is a violinist not a musician if they don't play other instruments?
Is a professional athlete not a professional athlete if they only play one sport?
Is a mechanic at an Audi dealership not a mechanic because they only repair one brand of vehicle?

I would call someone a couch potato if they spent 9-hours/day binge watching one show, like 53-years worth of Dr Who for example.

Resident wet blanket.
Top Secret Researcher
#33 Old 4th Feb 2016 at 10:44 PM
Gamer. Not gamer. Who cares what other people think? Play what you like and ignore the ignorance.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 10:37 PM
I had a conversation with this boy in my programming class about games the other day. He seemed pretty intent on testing me on my gaming knowledge to see if I was a "real" gamer. I told him about my favorites; Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Bioshock, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Civ. Mentioned Sims and he just looks at me like WTF. I thought we were having a serious conversation here. It's why I don't like to talk with people in real life about games. Most people either don't game and think it's a juvenile, sad waste of time, or do game and feel the need to elevate themselves over everyone as a "real gamer." I will readily admit to feeling this myself. The gaming community is just so damn competitive. Easier to get into a forum, ask a question anonymously online, lurk a bit, then get out. Talking about gaming in real life is either a sure fire way to make people think you're a loser or put you in a really tense one-upping situation when you find someone who is into it as well.
Scholar
#35 Old 5th Feb 2016 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fauntleroy
I had a conversation with this boy in my programming class about games the other day. He seemed pretty intent on testing me on my gaming knowledge to see if I was a "real" gamer.

Don't do this. Ever. Sorry if this sounds condescending, but why should girls prove anything to the guys? They do not feel the need to challenge and test male gamers (or fandom members, for that matter, it's pretty commonplace for comic and sf fans to try to unmask "fake fangirls"). On the same account girls should not justify, explain or "prove" themselves. It only puts you on the defensive.

As for why the Sims are not considered a real game, I mentioned in my above post that I felt the same when the original Sims was announced. For me gaming was about escapism, being the hero and crunching hard numbers against other hard numbers, preferably with as little story or graphics involved as possible. The Sims didn't seem like a challenge at all and even worse, you played your own boring everyday life. I cannot speak for all the self proclaimed "real" gamers, but that was my own, personal prejudice. And in the beginning the game was just that to me: an rpg in a fresh new setting. Skill, buy equipment to better skill, rince, repeat. I had to define this new experience as something familiar first, before I could fully accept it.
Instructor
#36 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 5:57 AM Last edited by Luckk : 6th Feb 2016 at 6:39 PM.
The whole "Prove yourself as a fan" thing is everywhere! Music, games, comics, movies... Fans should just be happy that they're more fans and whatever company/group they're supporting is earning money.
I love the whole "You don't play this one single specific game, you're not a gamer." Just move on. Who cares what this one single person believes. Unless they're willing to pay you to play that game and earn that oh so grand 'gamer street cred...'
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 7:07 AM
If a person questions whether you're a gamer because of your gender then they don't deserve your time.

A gamer is a gamer no matter their gender or genre preference.

I am a casual gamer. I don't play 10+ hours a day, I dislike playing online and I play many different types of games.

Got a job so I could play games, now I can't play games because I have a job.
Scholar
#38 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 8:50 AM
Oh, you're a gamer? But a giiiiiirl gamer? You claim to play and like games? Name three of their albums. Yeah, uh huh. You're no gamer, girlie.
Forum Resident
#39 Old 6th Feb 2016 at 9:03 AM
you're not a real gamer until you have managed to own boardwalk, park place, the train stations, and all the utilities.

When an engineer says that something can't be done, it's a code phrase that means it's not fun to do.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 12:55 AM
You're a gamer when you sit down at the computer, start playing, look at the clock, and realise you spent the entire day online and forgot to eat supper. And this is just a typical day.
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 5:23 AM
The only sure-fire way to tell if you are a true gamer...

Instructor
#42 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 5:38 AM
you all have no idea what a real gamer is i'll tell you!

it's someone who only cares about the games not fancy graphics, not hardware, not specs and only the gameplay matters. real gamers will play any type of game whether it be retro games or new games and on ANY format. the games can be in black and white, color, hd or even on paper or in a book (FF anyone? ) GFX are NOT important to a real gamer if you think that than your GFX whore NOT a gamer! AND they can be male or female gender is NOT important!

so are YOU a real gamer?!

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 7:25 AM
Recently, scientists have explored the hypothesis that there is a high theoretical possibility that the universe as we know it is in fact a hologram. This means there is no real anything. As holograms, we are not tangible or have true substance. Instead, our existence is merely a projection of something that appears real. Therefore, if TS is not a "real game", then the fools who mocked the OP are not real people. Actually, they're not even fools. They're projections of fools really. Or, not. lol

WHAT I IF TOLD
YOU

THAT YOU READ
THE FIRST LINE WRONG?

GARGA BLARG BLARG!!!
dodgy builder
#44 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 9:55 AM
Quote:
The Commodore 64, also known as the C64, C-64, C= 64,[n 1] or occasionally CBM 64 or VIC-64,[5] is an 8-bit home computer introduced in January 1982 by Commodore International. It is listed in the Guinness World Records as the highest-selling single computer model of all time,[6] with independent estimates placing the number sold between 10 and 17 million units.

Source

That was my first computer. Lucky those people be playing games in 1972, or perhaps not. The games I got for the Commodore 64 was boring as hell, but then the only game I really like playing is Sims3. It fules my creativity.

Because Sims is so unique I would consider someone who plays it to destruction as a gamer, because nothing else is interesting in the same way. Some people arn't that interested in just going around shooting people, that doesn't mean you can't be as dedicated to gaming.

... on the other hand, I'm a housebuilder in this game so I probably doesn't fall into the simmer category either
Mad Poster
#45 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 9:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Duncan Disorderly
Recently, scientists have explored the hypothesis that there is a high theoretical possibility that the universe as we know it is in fact a hologram. This means there is no real anything. As holograms, we are not tangible or have true substance. Instead, our existence is merely a projection of something that appears real. Therefore, if TS is not a "real game", then the fools who mocked the OP are not real people. Actually, they're not even fools. They're projections of fools really. Or, not. lol
Actually, this is a very old idea called solipsism, unless you're proposing that there is a reality beyond it, in which case your discussing Plato's Cave (aka welcome to The Matrix).

Lab Assistant
#46 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 12:27 PM Last edited by Duncan Disorderly : 7th Feb 2016 at 3:19 PM. Reason: Frikkin typo
Actually, this is a very old idea called solipsism, unless you're proposing that there is a reality beyond it, in which case your discussing Plato's Cave (aka welcome to The Matrix).

Good point. It's perhaps more apt to say scientists have been reexamining the hypothesis. That said, solipsism is basically egocentricity on steroids, since it proposes the only consciousness you can confirm as truly existing is yours alone. Whereas, the hologram theory proposes we all exist in the same projection of a false reality. This inevitably leads me to ask the next logical question. If we exist in a projection, then where is it being projected from? Could this be Plato's Cave? The Matrix indeed. The problem isn't what colour pill I chose to take, it's not really knowing what colour I did choose. Or, if I was ever given the choice.

In truth, I'm not proposing anything. I simply thought of the hologram theory and ran with it for giggles. All the same, it's pleasing to see it sparked some intellectual feedback. People rarely use words like solipsism or parthenogenesis*, more so in a Sims forum. Plato's Cave was a nice touch too.

*Always try to find a reason to use that word, but rarely get the chance. lol

WHAT I IF TOLD
YOU

THAT YOU READ
THE FIRST LINE WRONG?

GARGA BLARG BLARG!!!
Forum Resident
#47 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 5:10 PM
It is time to interject with a bit of floccinaucinihilipilification.
Because, that is precisely my estimation,
of the scope of this conversation.
At that, i return to my recreation.
Salutations.

When an engineer says that something can't be done, it's a code phrase that means it's not fun to do.
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 7:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lodakai
It is time to interject with a bit of floccinaucinihilipilification.
Because, that is precisely my estimation,
of the scope of this conversation.
At that, i return to my recreation.
Salutations.

Instinctively, I invite individuals I'm interested in. Pontificating parodic poetry presents potential personal problems. Also, alliterations always antagonise and alleviates aggressive angst.

Amateur.

WHAT I IF TOLD
YOU

THAT YOU READ
THE FIRST LINE WRONG?

GARGA BLARG BLARG!!!
Forum Resident
#49 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 8:28 PM
Perhaps it would be more professional to stay on topic.
If you wish to present yourself as cerebral, perhaps you can say something more along the lines of...
"If you still like to open with Giuoco Pianissimo, then you must assuredly be a casual gamer."

Lab Assistant
#50 Old 7th Feb 2016 at 9:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lodakai
Perhaps it would be more professional to stay on topic.
If you wish to present yourself as cerebral, perhaps you can say something more along the lines of...
"If you still like to open with Giuoco Pianissimo, then you must assuredly be a casual gamer."

With all due respect, my original post was on topic and commented directly to the OP's experience. It was lighthearted and expressed without offending, using sarcasm or sardonic poetry. At no time did I present myself as anything described in your interpretation. It's easy to be your true self when you like who you are. It gives you the confidence to drop the ego or feel the need to slightly belittle others in order to feel empowered. I love words passionately. They are my life. How dare you mock me for this.

It's ironic, you talk of professionalism. Using that word, in that context, told me exactly how little you understand its definition. True professionals keep their composure, they remain respectful, while speaking with raw candour. There's a huge difference between brutal honesty and an insult.

For gawd's sake, please don't reply. This is all so petty.

WHAT I IF TOLD
YOU

THAT YOU READ
THE FIRST LINE WRONG?

GARGA BLARG BLARG!!!
Page 2 of 3