Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 4:00 AM
Default House planning spreadsheet.
Ever wish you could take those house plans you find in the newspaper or books and turn them into sim houses?
Well my husband has come up with a spreadsheet that calculates the area into sim squares. Enjoy!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Simhouse1.zip (2.4 KB, 2402 downloads) - View custom content

If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.
-- Paul Beatty

Never do anything that you don't want to explain to the paramedics
--Author Unknown
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 4:43 AM
I can't wait to try it. Thank you
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 3:15 PM
What a fantastic idea! I use houseplans all the time and just sort of have to wing it. Thank you for such a great and useful item.

Chelle
Test Subject
#4 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 3:32 PM
cool :0)
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 3:34 PM Last edited by Suni : 16th Apr 2005 at 3:54 PM.
What program do you open this XLT file with?

Edited again to add.....Ok, i figured out you open an XLT file with Excel, but i don't have microsoft office/excel installed on my computer at this time. Is there another program that will open this file such as adobe reader?

Err never mind, adobe doesn't recognize this file type either. hmmm
Test Subject
#6 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 3:37 PM
oh thankyou so much, i needed something like this, thankyou!!!!!!!!
Field Researcher
#7 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 3:49 PM
Great idea! Thanks.
Test Subject
#8 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 3:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Suni
What program do you open this XLT file with?

Edited again to add.....Ok, i figured out you open an XLT file with Excel, but i don't have microsoft office/excel installed on my computer at this time. Is there another program that will open this file such as adobe reader?

You can use OpenOffice - it's just like Microsoft Office, only it has a free trial that never expires. It has a spreadsheet, word processor, and all of that. Also, it will open files saved in Microsoft, so if you're like me, and typing a paper at school, and need to finish it at home, it comes in very handy.

I think you can get it here.. http://www.openoffice.org

Thanks sooo much for this spreadsheet!
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 16th Apr 2005 at 5:00 PM
{quote]You can use OpenOffice - it's just like Microsoft Office, only it has a free trial that never expires.[/quote]
I agree with OpenOffice..only it's not a trial..it's open source software
besides being cheaper than M$ Soft it's smaller, faster and more powerful
The only drawback for some ppl: it's not able to use Word- or Excel Macros...so if this spreadsheet contains macros it will not work on O_O
-le
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 6:27 PM
From what my husband said it does not contain macros so you shouldn't need to worry about that. He says it should work with open office since it's just a basic spreadsheet.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 6:30 PM
does it work with any type of spreadsheet opener, cuz Ive got Microsoft Office, does it work with that?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 11:26 PM
He says that it should open with it because it's a template.
Test Subject
#13 Old 17th Apr 2005 at 11:53 PM
This template is wonderful! I've seen so many wonderful house plans, but whenever I try to use them my houses end up being GIGANTIC! LOL This will make building for the Sims 2 so much easier. Thank you for sharing this with us! :-D
Test Subject
#14 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 12:07 AM
I have word perfect and it wont open it..Can Your hubby make another one for us who don't have anx XLT program.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sims2gal
I have word perfect and it wont open it..Can Your hubby make another one for us who don't have anx XLT program.

Word Perfect is a word processor...what you need is some kind of spreadsheet program/Tabcalc-program since all entries in this sheet are calculated by given formulas (basically dividing length and width by 2.5 and round it to the next value that would make sense)
if open office is not right for you you could get M$ Excel viewer Free (~9MB) here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en
or
The 602PC Suite Trial (~29MB) here http://www.software602.com/products/pcs/download.html
there some more out there...google is your friend

-le
Test Subject
#16 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 12:54 AM
wow! thanks heaps! ^^
Test Subject
#17 Old 2nd Jan 2006 at 4:49 AM
Default At Last I Found it!!!
:baloons:

I have been looking for this files for a long time. It was driving me crazy 'cause I knew I'd gotten it from MTS2 before. This is the most helpful house building tool I've found, especially when you're dealing plans based on real house plans and want to try to keep them to scale.

Thank you,so much
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 2nd Jan 2006 at 12:19 PM
Thank your hubby, this is great !!

Dallandra

Well you can't blame me, I'm blond

Almost 1000 Sim 2 links: http://dr.sims.jouwpagina.nl/
Test Subject
#19 Old 3rd Jan 2006 at 2:23 AM
Ah I somehow got it to workj on microsoft works spreadsheet. not exactly sure how I did ut I can tell you what I did do that may have made it work.
I went in to notepad and saved it as Simhouse1.xls (xls seemed to be one of teh files you can load in spreadsheet) and then I had to open it within the spreadsheet program. If you look under the .xl files...both should actually appear (I made the .xlsa new file) I ahev no idea if this is helpful...but I figured there's no harm in posting it. By the way thank you this is awesome!
Test Subject
#20 Old 5th Feb 2006 at 4:44 PM
this will become much easier
thanx!
Test Subject
#21 Old 25th Jun 2006 at 5:18 AM
Default Wow!
Excellent tool! Thanks very muchly! :D
Test Subject
#22 Old 29th Sep 2006 at 9:54 PM
Brilliant!
Field Researcher
#23 Old 16th Oct 2006 at 1:10 PM
Many thanks to you and your husband for this. I have been struggling to work out the correct size to keep everything in proportion! It now means I can gauge the lot size required to build each home before I start! no more guesswork :D

~Simplicity~
Test Subject
#24 Old 17th Oct 2006 at 9:08 PM
Im kind of confused here. I can get the file to open with excel viewer but you cant do anything with it there, and my spreadsheet program which is a free program off the net (Sphygmic Software Spreadsheet) and will only open .xls files and not .xlt I cant download open office cause i only have dial-up connection and 100 mgs is a long download time. Is there any other way i can get this to be opperational with some other program or with what i have. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Test Subject
#25 Old 23rd Oct 2006 at 1:54 AM
For those who may not have Excel and don't want to try OpenOffice (which is great), you would be able to use this spreadsheet if you have Microsoft Works installed in your computer (which most of you probably do, even if you don't realize it).

Go into Microsoft Works. Start up the Spreadsheet application. Use the File/Open menu, and then change the file types at the bottom of the dialog box to All types. Then find the speadsheet file where you saved it, highlight it, and open it. A box will come up asking you if you want to open the Calculation or the Drawing spreadsheet. Choose the Calculation option and the spreadsheet will open and work just as it should.

Because this is a simple spreadsheet with no linked pages or anything like that, the Works Spreadsheet will open it without a problem. Once you have the SS open in Works, be sure to Save As, and make sure you are saving it as a Microsoft Works Spreadsheet file.

There you have it! :-)

Linda
Page 1 of 2