Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Icy Spicy
#26 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 9:38 AM
I finally have a couple of hours to spare.Sorry for being MIA

I had experimented till the missing mesh ( round black balls stage) and also renamed the cooking process xml with the recipe key.But somehow did not end up testing the newly renamed xml.Will dig out my old recipes and try it out now.You have gotten me all excited about changing the cooking process :D
Advertisement
Inventor
Original Poster
#27 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 6:13 PM
I'm pretty excited!

So..... now there's the issue of meshing. It looks like you did some of your own meshing for your recipes. Did you do it in Milkshape? I know how to edit simgeom files, but that's not what these are.

I'm playing with just retexturing the cookie mesh. I just want to know what my options are .

Echo Weaver's Simblr: http://echoweaver.tumblr.com/
A portrait in stubbornness - Playing the same legacy since 2009
Sample a Brave Legacy: http://sims3sample.illation.net
Icy Spicy
#28 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 8:31 PM Last edited by icemunmun : 13th Nov 2015 at 9:01 PM.
Ok...one question: how did you link the cooking process to the foodEat.... modl ? I don't think I have referenced them directly anywhere

Edit: Can you post your cooking process xml here. I want to see what changes you have made because there are a lot of variables.

Edit: Ok...found where to link it.Going to test..

Edit: Still no change in the cooking process. ( This is what happens when I try modding and meshing for sims 3 and sims 4 at the same time )
Inventor
Original Poster
#29 Old 13th Nov 2015 at 9:25 PM Last edited by echoweaver : 13th Nov 2015 at 9:39 PM.
Sure. I searched on "CookingProcess" in GamePlayData.package to get examples of things that could go in the slots.

To use the CookingProcess, you must set the Recipe_Class tag in the Recipes.xml to the recipe name you're creating the process for. Thus, when we cloned Cookies and used <Recipe_Class>Cookies</Recipe_Class>, it used the Cookies process.

The XML resource containing the cooking process MUST be called the same thing you put in the Recipe_Class tag. Hash it to get the resource ID. The opening tag in the XML resource must also have this name.

Here's what I have currently:

EDIT: There seems to be some leftover reference to hot dog models for grilling. If you look later in the XML, you'll see that this cooking process doesn't even support grilling. Maybe those fields can't be left blank?

I think the idea of grilling escargot is kind of entertaining. I'd have to look through the grillable recipes and see if there are any existing models that could be retextured to look like grilling snails .

Field Researcher
#30 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 12:12 PM
Just weighing in since I've had to look into the way cooking processes are loaded into the game a while back. But it seems like you've figured out most of the important parts - especially regarding what resource Id to give the XML

Just to confirm any material/model lines in the XML that don't have their corresponding "<Load_(said type of material/model)>x</Load_(said type of material/model)>" line present in the XML will be ignored by the game. So in the above example the lines <Load_Models>x</Load_Models>, <Load_Large_Bowl_Material>x</Load_Large_Bowl_Material> mean that the <Models> and <Large_Bowl_Material> lines will be loaded into the game, while all the other model lines are ignored, like the seemingly erroneous hot dog grill models are totally ignored since the corresponding "<Load_Grill_Models>"x</Load_Grill_Models> line isn't present.

As far as I can tell all the unread model lines don't need to be in the XML but they're present in all the default XMLs presumably because they were all copy pasted and then altered from the one generic XML when they were created. Which would also explain why every possible <CookingProcess> is listed as well, but only the ones with the "<Supported_Processes>x</Supported_Processes>" line are actually loaded. The ones without this line are still read by the game but are ignored - so having tall these extra lines in the XML only serve to slow things down imho, but in this case it helps the reader see at a glance what available CookingProcesses are in the game and what steps each process has (the steps are hard coded in the game btw so changing any of the steps listed in the XML will have no effect. Again their presence in the XML seem to be merely for the benefit of the potential creator)
Icy Spicy
#31 Old 14th Nov 2015 at 8:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by icarus_allsorts
(the steps are hard coded in the game btw so changing any of the steps listed in the XML will have no effect. Again their presence in the XML seem to be merely for the benefit of the potential creator)

Thank you for this info.I spent a lot of time wondering what was wrong as changing the steps were not achieving anything!I also deleted a couple of lines which were not being loaded.No adverse effect on the cooking process.

echoweaver

The first time the changes were not being reflected because I missed replacing one of the foodCook names...oops!
Everything is working as it should .Now I have to change the cooking process of 15 more recipes for my WIP mod

About meshing...i use a combination of blender and Milkshape ( mostly blender). i started with milkshape but now I find blender to be much more versatile!
Inventor
Original Poster
#32 Old 15th Nov 2015 at 4:17 AM
Thank you for weighing in, icarus_allsorts! It's nice to know that someone noticed us talking over here .

You may not be able to change the steps, but you can change the contents of the steps -- I've changed most of the items displayed on the cutting board and a bunch of the animations in the cooking process. I believe I'm still restricted to two rounds of cutting board and then mixing everything in a bowl, but that's fine. Everything you see in my code above is executing.

I tried adding the fishSnails model to the cutting board, but that was just ignored. Ah well .

I haven't had any time to work on the project today. All I really need to do is get the textures on foodCook, foodServe, and foodEat looking reasonable. I'm still mostly working with retexturing the models for Cookies. I digressed for a little while to try retexturing Ratatouille (I liked the idea of serving Escargot with baguette), but that was a fail. I thought that the sliced look came from the texture, but no -- the model itself is a bunch of slices.

I know how to import simgeom files into Milkshape. I like Blender a lot, but the Sims 3 plugins, at least for simgeom, seemed to be old and unreliable. Ummm.... where do I find a mesh file I can edit for foodServe and foodEat?

Icy Spicy
#33 Old 16th Nov 2015 at 7:33 PM
I have changed the meshes appearing on the foodtray , cutting board.I also added extra pour and pinch cutting board entries. But I would have like to have a cooking process combining mixing,grilling,boiling etc. But oh well I can live without that ( because to be honest in real life I cannot cook ANYTHING ).
You say the fishSnail model is not working...too bad.We could have had all sorts of fish on the foodtray and cutting board!

About extracting meshes follow the instructions in this thread by misukisu .

I use Milkshape to extract meshes using TSRW and then import it in Blender----> then back to MS and TSRW. A bit tedious but as you said the blender plugins are unreliable. But I love meshing and have been meshing lots of stuff for Sims 4.
Inventor
Original Poster
#34 Old 23rd Nov 2015 at 1:42 AM
I just wanted to drop a line here to say that I have NOT abandoned this project, not by a long shot. I'm having trouble with my DDS software, so the retexturing phase of my recipe got bogged down. This Thursday is a holiday here, and I'm spending a week visiting family, so it'll be a while before I can work on it again.

BUT! It really is almost done, and I'm so excited.

Inventor
Original Poster
#35 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 1:48 PM
OK, I'm baffled. I have tried to retexture cookies with the images of escargot, but the image is smaller than the cookie mesh. I thought I could fix this by making the image larger, but that doesn't seem to be related. No matter what I do, the image repeats on the edges of each cookie.

I'm going to try messing around with the mesh to see if I can make the cookies smaller, but I'm curious as to whether there's some way to define how the texture is applied to the mesh.

Heh. Silly me. I thought retexturing would be an easy step .

Icy Spicy
#36 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 4:13 PM Last edited by icemunmun : 26th Nov 2015 at 5:38 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by echoweaver
OK, I'm baffled. I have tried to retexture cookies with the images of escargot, but the image is smaller than the cookie mesh. I thought I could fix this by making the image larger, but that doesn't seem to be related. No matter what I do, the image repeats on the edges of each cookie.

I'm going to try messing around with the mesh to see if I can make the cookies smaller, but I'm curious as to whether there's some way to define how the texture is applied to the mesh.

Heh. Silly me. I thought retexturing would be an easy step .

A smaller image than the original mesh dds is going to look bad.most of the time I collect a bunch of images, put bits and pieces together and eventually ended up with a partially hand painting the texture a lot of times.For example I quickly searched for escargot pictures and made the following texture on the cookie texture.Its all about trial and error.

Edit: I have attached the dds file.If it works for you...you can make something similar taking it as a base.I haven't tested the texture in game though!Or you can upload your dds and let me see if anything is wrong.
Attached Images

Attached files:
File Type: rar  foodEatEscargot.rar (1.5 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content
Description: dds image for escargot
Inventor
Original Poster
#37 Old 26th Nov 2015 at 10:52 PM Last edited by echoweaver : 26th Nov 2015 at 11:06 PM.
That looks like the same dds file that is in the package. Am I correct?

I've tried retexturing the dds file for foodEatCookies. The problem is that the image seems to be smaller than the cookie mesh. It looks fine with the light, mostly invisible texture for the cookies, but if I replace it with a picture of escargot, the picture repeats.

I tried just scaling the image larger, up to 48x48 pixels, but it didn't seem to affect the repeats. I'm going to try something really large and see if that helps, but I don't really understand how the texture is applied to the mesh.

EDIT: The thumbnail I see on your image doesn't seem to match the dds file when I downloaded and opened it. I'm confused.

Icy Spicy
#38 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 10:20 AM
That looks like the same dds file that is in the package. Am I correct?

I've tried retexturing the dds file for foodEatCookies. The problem is that the image seems to be smaller than the cookie mesh. It looks fine with the light, mostly invisible texture for the cookies, but if I replace it with a picture of escargot, the picture repeats.

I tried just scaling the image larger, up to 48x48 pixels, but it didn't seem to affect the repeats. I'm going to try something really large and see if that helps, but I don't really understand how the texture is applied to the mesh.

EDIT: The thumbnail I see on your image doesn't seem to match the dds file when I downloaded and opened it. I'm confused.

It is not the same?...maybe I messed up with uploading.I will check as soon as I have acess to a comp(I am on my tab).
If the texture is smaller,it will not look good on the cookie mesh.
Are you saving ad dxt5 compression with minimaps?
I suggest you look for a larger picture.
Steps:
1)Open the foodEat package.
2)Export the img resource as dds.
3)Open the dds and you will see the non transparent texture.
4)Paint over it or c+p your texture and resize it and save as dxt5 with mini maps.
5)Import this dds into your package.In the package viewer the img will look mostly transparent.
Can you upload your dds file.I will try to find out what is wrong.
Inventor
Original Poster
#39 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 3:24 PM
That's what I'm doing, only I've been using foodServe. The foodServe texture I see is a transparent background with a dusting of golden brown over it. When I retexture this, I get image repeats over the cookie mesh. I tried increasing the size of the image, but it didn't seem to help.

I'll try a very large image and see if that has any effect.

Icy Spicy
#40 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 4:55 PM
That's what I'm doing, only I've been using foodServe. The foodServe texture I see is a transparent background with a dusting of golden brown over it. When I retexture this, I get image repeats over the cookie mesh. I tried increasing the size of the image, but it didn't seem to help.

I'll try a very large image and see if that has any effect.

What image editor are you using? You are not getting the texture dds to show the cookie texture ? ( see attached image)
Screenshots
Inventor
Original Poster
#41 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 5:40 PM
Dur. It doesn't look like that. Why doesn't it look like that? (That's a rhetorical question.)

That your foodEatCookies _IMG?

That's what the cookies look like in the game... and foodCookCookies has two textures, the dough and the browned cookie side by side, that look like that. But my foodEatCookies looks like the image I'm attaching. That's what it looks like in the S3PE viewer, going all the way back to when I copied the original Cookies objects.

I've been using Graphic Converter 9, which isn't a terribly great editor, but I don't find a ton of DDS-compatible options out there. I don't want to buy Photoshop or some expensive graphics editor. If forced to, I could download GIMP.

What are you using?
Attached Images

Icy Spicy
#42 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 6:23 PM
Dur. It doesn't look like that. Why doesn't it look like that? (That's a rhetorical question.)

That your foodEatCookies _IMG?

That's what the cookies look like in the game... and foodCookCookies has two textures, the dough and the browned cookie side by side, that look like that. But my foodEatCookies looks like the image I'm attaching. That's what it looks like in the S3PE viewer, going all the way back to when I copied the original Cookies objects.

I've been using Graphic Converter 9, which isn't a terribly great editor, but I don't find a ton of DDS-compatible options out there. I don't want to buy Photoshop or some expensive graphics editor. If forced to, I could download GIMP.

What are you using?

I am using Photoshop.I think GIMP will be a very good option as it is very versatile and works well with dds plugins. You cannot retexture properly if you are getting the transparent image.The image I have attached is that of foodEat cookies.If are getting a solid image for foodCook then you can use that as a base for foodEatcookies and then replace. I have attached my solid image dds for foodEatCookies.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  foodEatCookies.rar (1.1 KB, 8 downloads) - View custom content
Description: DDS image for foodEatCookies
Inventor
Original Poster
#43 Old 27th Nov 2015 at 6:49 PM Last edited by echoweaver : 27th Nov 2015 at 8:49 PM.
OK, that is transparent for me too. There is clearly something wrong with this editor. I'll download another and try again.

EDIT: OK, I see the correct image in S3PE if I uncheck "Alpha". Huh. I don't know anything about image editing, so I don't know what this means.

EDIT2: Here's a picture of the cookies retextured with your escargot image. See what I mean about the repeats?
Screenshots

Icy Spicy
#44 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 7:58 AM
OK, that is transparent for me too. There is clearly something wrong with this editor. I'll download another and try again.

EDIT: OK, I see the correct image in S3PE if I uncheck "Alpha". Huh. I don't know anything about image editing, so I don't know what this means.

EDIT2: Here's a picture of the cookies retextured with your escargot image. See what I mean about the repeats?

Alpha is the layer which determines the transparency oof the image.I always had alpha unchecked from the begining,so I thought it was unchecked by default.

Strange thing about the repeats...I have retextured cookies plenty of time and never got that.I will do some tests and try to find out what the problem is.Though I only have PS installed at the moment.Can you check with gimp?
I will get back to you.
Inventor
Original Poster
#45 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 3:17 PM
Argh. I wonder how I managed to screw up the texture. Thanks so much for all your patient help.

I attached my current draft (with onions in place of snails in the ingredient list for ease of testing).

We're visiting friends for three days, so I probably won't be able to get to this for a bit. When I get some time, I'll try starting back from the beginning and recloning all the objects. I'm also reading the thread on extracting and editing the food meshes, though I haven't tried it yet.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Escargot_v2-13.package.zip (1.34 MB, 16 downloads) - View custom content

Icy Spicy
#46 Old 2nd Dec 2015 at 7:56 PM
Argh. I wonder how I managed to screw up the texture. Thanks so much for all your patient help.

I attached my current draft (with onions in place of snails in the ingredient list for ease of testing).

We're visiting friends for three days, so I probably won't be able to get to this for a bit. When I get some time, I'll try starting back from the beginning and recloning all the objects. I'm also reading the thread on extracting and editing the food meshes, though I haven't tried it yet.

I am sorry I haven't yet had an opportunity to look into your package ( have two seminar presentations and 3 lecture classes to take in the next couple weeks).I will look into it as soon as I can!
Inventor
Original Poster
#47 Old 23rd Jan 2016 at 2:47 AM
Hey, I'm still around if you are. I think we might have gotten stuck waiting for each other? Are you still interested in helping me fix this frustrating texture problem?

Icy Spicy
#48 Old 26th Jan 2016 at 10:28 PM
Hey, I'm still around if you are. I think we might have gotten stuck waiting for each other? Are you still interested in helping me fix this frustrating texture problem?

Haha..both of us were waiting.Anyway I I think your texture problem maybe with minimap generation for dds.Does your editing program have an option for generating minimaps?Also your foodEat option had the ratatouille texture.Also can you reassemble your packages and post the foodEat and foodServe separately?
Inventor
Original Poster
#49 Old 26th Jan 2016 at 11:50 PM
The ratatouille was a bug. I experimented with that and forgot to take it out of the foodEat.

I've just been using GraphicConverter to convert images into dds. It was available as nagware, and I don't have an art program that could handle DDS. I don't think it does minimaps.

Inventor
Original Poster
#50 Old 27th Jan 2016 at 2:49 PM
Do you have advice for a better DDS tool that isn't expensive like Photoshop? I can do either Mac or Windows. I should probably install GIMP. It just has such a steep learning curve. I have a graphics program I like. It just doesn't do DDS. Very few graphics packages seem to do DDS.

Page 2 of 3