Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

IT'S CLEAN-UP SEASON!! - Keep your Downloads folder in order!

by billielith Posted 23rd Jan 2015 at 2:02 PM - Updated 25th Jul 2018 at 12:06 PM by billielith

35 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 18 Feedback Posts, 16 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#2 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 3:21 PM
Thank you so much for this, especially for the info zip so I don't have to come back to read. I know this is not difficult, still, there have been times in the past. :)
This looks simple enough for even me, can't wait to try it out.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#3 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 3:53 PM
This is great, honestly. I have so much custom content that just even trying to figure out how I'd sort it was painful, thank you so much!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 6:01 PM
I'm not sure if separating the mesh from the textures is a good idea. The names some people give, don't always relate to each other in a set at all. I think it is better to keep it with creator or function and to extract the content into a folder with same name as zip. I find it is your only hope in really getting stuff out. When you start separating textures from mesh, you may have no mesh but textures and so forth.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Jan 2015 at 10:02 PM Last edited by billielith : 23rd Jan 2015 at 10:12 PM.
Lola and TotallySimsCrazy, thank you! Glad to help!

Quote: Originally posted by Leo5
I'm not sure if separating the mesh from the textures is a good idea. The names some people give, don't always relate to each other in a set at all. I think it is better to keep it with creator or function and to extract the content into a folder with same name as zip. I find it is your only hope in really getting stuff out. When you start separating textures from mesh, you may have no mesh but textures and so forth.

It's a good idea, and I can see that some people prefer it like that.

Feel free to edit/remove/move around the folders however you want. This is just a basic structure to help, once you have it, you can change the parts you dont like, then keep your own.

I know I can't do it, but I'm still going to do it. - M. C. Escher
Test Subject
#6 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 5:15 AM
@Leo5
Yes, for gods sakes, keep the meshes with the textures. I was gonna say...

Also, if you want to make things easy for yourself (like, super helpful) make sure to download pictures of your CC so you know what it is later. It's all fair enough to have a folder called "Clothes - Cute jeans" but then later you have no idea what those jeans look like. So get pictures. Big help.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#7 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 6:48 AM
Great idea! but I prefer sorting by author-creators with subfolders . My layout: involves the selection in a separate folder defaults (has subfolders by type); fashion;clothing (subfolders names of the authors):hair.... I'm inspired to purge folder and I will create a folder "bodyshop" to combine clothes, hair and stuff
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 12:22 PM
Some good ideas there. ^^
I also tend to separate my medieval/ancient stuff vs normal stuff. Or if I download a lot of contents of different kinds from the same creator or website, I like to regroup it.

Instructor
THANKS POST
#9 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 2:04 PM
Wonderful!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#10 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 3:03 PM
I gave the order in your folder)
Not actually evil.
THANKS POST
#11 Old 24th Jan 2015 at 6:44 PM
If I wasn't already organizing and backing up my folders, I would download this. Great idea and I'm sure many will find it helpful. I'm obsessive about linking to others work so I also keep text files with download links. I can't remember what all the stuff is so I've started saving thumbnail pictures in the last few months. Damn, downloading starts to feel like work! I hope your idea will save some folks some of the work since you premade folders. Even if they end up using a different system, you may get some folks thinking about organizing their CC.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 4:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fruitsymphony
Wonderful!

Thank you!

Quote: Originally posted by kjkjljkjkjkjljkj
I gave the order in your folder)

Cool!

Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
If I wasn't already organizing and backing up my folders, I would download this. Great idea and I'm sure many will find it helpful. I'm obsessive about linking to others work so I also keep text files with download links. I can't remember what all the stuff is so I've started saving thumbnail pictures in the last few months. Damn, downloading starts to feel like work! I hope your idea will save some folks some of the work since you premade folders. Even if they end up using a different system, you may get some folks thinking about organizing their CC.

Thank you, I guess I come a little late with this for Sims 2, lol. You're a tidy creator, I bet you organized your folders years ago. And downloading does seem like work, lol.

It's a great idea to keep the creators' information with links. I should do that. Just today I have to find a creator's blog again for nose masks I want to credit, and I'll have to go through plenty of internet browser history to find it, lol.

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 6:16 PM
This is fantastic :D

Just feel bit sad that when i did this i got mine rejected as apparently people don't organize like that(the organize by creator i was told). Glad to see someone finally got through :D
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Feb 2015 at 11:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kittykylie_loves_glenn
This is fantastic :D

Just feel bit sad that when i did this i got mine rejected as apparently people don't organize like that(the organize by creator i was told). Glad to see someone finally got through :D

Thank you!
Rejection happens to every creator. If it's not by moderators, it's by the people you try to please to. Or even sometimes by non-interested outsiders you never asked their opinions to, lol. It's just part of the process of creating stuff and putting it out there.

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#15 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 6:52 AM
THAN
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#16 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 6:52 AM
THAN
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 8th Feb 2015 at 9:05 AM
Sad thing is, I've had this kind of system of folders in my Downloads for years, and never thought about uploading it before, lol.

Instructor
THANKS POST
#18 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 12:32 PM
It's a good tuto for inspiration : I think I might organized my Download folder someday, but now I'm too tired to deal with several "Go" of files ....
Thanks for the tool and advices !
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 9:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ankoyume
It's a good tuto for inspiration : I think I might organized my Download folder someday, but now I'm too tired to deal with several "Go" of files ....
Thanks for the tool and advices !

lol, I completely understand that. I should format my computer since like... forever. It's been needing it for all summer and some part of me just doesn't want to do it, lol. Like my mom liked to say, for certain things, I have two speeds, "Stopped" and "Slow", lol.

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#20 Old 2nd Oct 2015 at 3:15 PM
Thanks so much for your awesome idea!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 27th Jan 2016 at 1:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 67songib67
Thanks so much for your awesome idea!

Thank you for appreciating it!

Test Subject
THANKS POST
#22 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 3:27 AM
YAY! Thank you!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#23 Old 9th Oct 2016 at 2:46 AM
about time someone did this. thanks!
Meet Me In My Next Life
THANKS POST
#24 Old 24th Jul 2017 at 11:39 PM
Thank you much. :)
Test Subject
#25 Old 29th Aug 2017 at 10:14 AM
This is great. Wonderful. Perfect. :D

I'm having to sort what's left after a dead hard drive and a re-install of my os. (plus a short bout of disinterest due to RL) The what's left is all of the stuff that was actually in the downloads folder when I did the last copy of that hard drive. All the stuff I lost was the zip files and other folders that weren't in the downloads folder. (things like this and the program files stuff for Numenor's CEP etc... *sigh* This makes it easier because I can just drop the the sub-folders into the proper category and not spend all that time making those main folders. *HUGGZ*

You cut my job in half.

Though I am wondering why there is a MTS and Non-MTS folder.

Anyways thanks so much.
Page 1 of 2