Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th May 2014 at 3:45 AM Last edited by MistyDW : 26th May 2014 at 8:52 PM.
Default [IT'S HERE! COMPLETE] Doomsday Challenge Part IV: Devastation
AT LONG LAST!

Devastation has arrived!
I have worked on this many MANY hours. It is a dual experience where you choose the path of light or darkness with a very different experience for each!

If you find typos (I am 100% confident there are quite a few but I can no longer work on this or hold it back from you guys) please let me know.

I sincerely hope this challenge was worth the effort I put in to it...so with no further ado...

DOOMSDAY CHALLENGE PART IV: DEVASTATION!
Click the link above to go a website dedicated specifically to this challenge!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 10th May 2014 at 3:53 AM
i love it cant wait so cool
Instructor
#3 Old 10th May 2014 at 2:39 PM
Misty, you are officially my favourite challenge poster.
The Crime Lord part? It's like you went into my mind and read what I wanted in a challenge.
I am so excited, I can't even.
:D
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th May 2014 at 3:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MistressTiffany
Misty, you are officially my favourite challenge poster.
The Crime Lord part? It's like you went into my mind and read what I wanted in a challenge.
I am so excited, I can't even.
:D

Yes, in my testing I am going that route as well!!

There is a fairly decent amount of changes you will need to make to your town (or use a different, smaller, more primitive one). I have a good bit of the challenge written. I may go ahead and release the specifications for setting up your home and town so everyone will be ready to roll when the entire challenge comes online.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th May 2014 at 1:43 AM
Just an update. I am still working on this. It turned out longer than I thought because I am doing the daily events thing just like I did in this countdown challenge. Plus many days have separate events depending on what play style you are choosing (good guy or bad guy). I'm about 75% done now. Thank goodness.
Instructor
#6 Old 15th May 2014 at 3:51 PM
I just.. want to hug you and your challenges. I get so excited when you post a new challenge.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 17th May 2014 at 2:31 PM
I cant wait to get started on this challenge!!!! Sorry I'm just happy you posted the next part...

"900 years of time and space, and I have never met someone who wasn't important."
Field Researcher
#8 Old 17th May 2014 at 3:30 PM
I want to play this but it feels like it needs a special town or something.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th May 2014 at 7:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lop90804
I want to play this but it feels like it needs a special town or something.

It doesn't need a special town.
The full challenge isn't out yet.
I have spent HOURS on this challenge and it is massive. Imagine two challenges in one depending on which way you choose to go.

I am probably going to create a website just for this challenge where you can click on the savior or crime lord path just to make things easier for you all. As it stands, I'm at Page 16 and i'm only about 3/4 done....

Keep your eyes peeled. It will be out soon, I promise!
Field Researcher
#10 Old 25th May 2014 at 9:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MistyDW
It doesn't need a special town.
The full challenge isn't out yet.
I have spent HOURS on this challenge and it is massive. Imagine two challenges in one depending on which way you choose to go.

I am probably going to create a website just for this challenge where you can click on the savior or crime lord path just to make things easier for you all. As it stands, I'm at Page 16 and i'm only about 3/4 done....

Keep your eyes peeled. It will be out soon, I promise!

I know, I mean it gives you that feeling. Ya know?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th May 2014 at 10:26 PM Last edited by MistyDW : 25th May 2014 at 10:56 PM.
Its just..huge.
There are so many elements.

I wanted to bring in the daily events (like in Countdown) that everyone loves so much.
There is also this epic struggle going on where you are trying to gather the influence of the other houses in town. There is a trading system for good guys and a thieving system for the bad ones, not to mention managing you family, preparing an heir to take over in case the main character dies, etc. There are a lot of role playing elements where you are setting a scene. Here is an example of one of the daily evens just to give you an idea (keeping in mind the challenge itself gives instructions on how you handle these situations)):

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 23: House Day!!
(Savior): With 3 houses under your belt, you’re pretty proud of the progress you’ve made and the service you’ve been able to provide to the community. You’ve been meeting with a 4th prospective house. They’ve been hesitant to agree to join you in fear of what might happen. Late one evening, from a comfortable seat on your front porch, you notice an orange glow in the night sky. Fire! You grab what men you can muster and head out. The house you have been pursuing is on fire. You instruct your crew to set up a water bucket line to put out the fire when a women runs from the blaze screaming that her young child is still inside. You may either run inside and save the child putting your own life at risk or continue trying to put out the flames and not risk it. Decide now!

(Crime Lord) It’s time for a real show of who has the power in this town. One of your enemies has been very vocal against you, going so far as to rally others to root out your organization. This can NOT go unpunished. You order a raid on his house and instruct that no adult men are to be left alive. Women and children will be assigned to your other houses as servants to reward your followers. Once the house is vacant, you can assign it to one of your adult children and increase your area of influence. No one screws with you and gets away with it!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additionally, I am starting Let's Plays on youtube for my challenges. My first one will be Doomsday (Countdown) so you guys will be able to see me go through my own challenges
Instructor
#12 Old 26th May 2014 at 2:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MistyDW
Its just..huge.
There are so many elements.

I wanted to bring in the daily events (like in Countdown) that everyone loves so much.
There is also this epic struggle going on where you are trying to gather the influence of the other houses in town. There is a trading system for good guys and a thieving system for the bad ones, not to mention managing you family, preparing an heir to take over in case the main character dies, etc. There are a lot of role playing elements where you are setting a scene. Here is an example of one of the daily evens just to give you an idea (keeping in mind the challenge itself gives instructions on how you handle these situations)):

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 23: House Day!!
(Savior): With 3 houses under your belt, you’re pretty proud of the progress you’ve made and the service you’ve been able to provide to the community. You’ve been meeting with a 4th prospective house. They’ve been hesitant to agree to join you in fear of what might happen. Late one evening, from a comfortable seat on your front porch, you notice an orange glow in the night sky. Fire! You grab what men you can muster and head out. The house you have been pursuing is on fire. You instruct your crew to set up a water bucket line to put out the fire when a women runs from the blaze screaming that her young child is still inside. You may either run inside and save the child putting your own life at risk or continue trying to put out the flames and not risk it. Decide now!

(Crime Lord) It’s time for a real show of who has the power in this town. One of your enemies has been very vocal against you, going so far as to rally others to root out your organization. This can NOT go unpunished. You order a raid on his house and instruct that no adult men are to be left alive. Women and children will be assigned to your other houses as servants to reward your followers. Once the house is vacant, you can assign it to one of your adult children and increase your area of influence. No one screws with you and gets away with it!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additionally, I am starting Let's Plays on youtube for my challenges. My first one will be Doomsday (Countdown) so you guys will be able to see me go through my own challenges

I know it's taking awhile, and I know it's difficult to write, but this is all going to be worth it once it's done. It's going to be amazing. This might just be your best challenge so far, from what I've seen of it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th May 2014 at 4:04 AM
I know it's taking awhile, and I know it's difficult to write, but this is all going to be worth it once it's done. It's going to be amazing. This might just be your best challenge so far, from what I've seen of it.

Thank you! I worked on it more tonight and I am about 90% done writing it! I have to finish up on the daily events (on Day 38 right now), go through and edit it, then transfer it to the special website I've created to house it.

The thing that concerns me is the sheer enormity of this challenge. I am on Page 22 at present! I'm hoping breaking it up into savior vs. crime lord pages will make it easier to follow.

On the up side, this challenge has some good replayability. A lot of what the savior and crime lord does is two sides of the same coin (the CL causes an incident and he Savior deals with it) so there should be some fun times there.
Inventor
#14 Old 26th May 2014 at 4:33 AM
Well, as soon as you're done, I'll play it! Really looking forward to it!

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 26th May 2014 at 9:12 AM Last edited by MistyDW : 26th May 2014 at 9:05 PM.
Can you believe the draft is DONE! I only need to edit it and copy/paste it over to the web page I've already created and it is good to go!!! Look for this tomorrow most likely. I will put (COMPLETE) in the post title so you know it's up!

Update: Yay! Done!! I am nervous though. I hope it's well received. Keep in mind that with all of my challenes, if you don't like a rule, change it. It's all about YOUR fun. If something is making you crazy, don't be afraid to improvise!

Please please please respond with your feedback. Good or bad.
Instructor
#16 Old 27th May 2014 at 12:35 AM Last edited by MistressTiffany : 27th May 2014 at 12:46 AM.
I'm too busy reading all your hard work to have commented earlier! I love it!
Even though I still have my founder from Part I, I think I'm going to start with new sims, since I've lost the initial affection that I had for my founder when I made him.

Question: Any tips for building the safe house?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 27th May 2014 at 1:28 AM Last edited by MistyDW : 27th May 2014 at 2:56 AM.
I'm too busy reading all your hard work to have commented earlier! I love it!
Even though I still have my founder from Part I, I think I'm going to start with new sims, since I've lost the initial affection that I had for my founder when I made him.

Question: Any tips for building the safe house?

It should look like a criminal organization is run there. I'd recommend having some sort of holding area for the occasionally abducted. Perhaps a couple small bedrooms, a warehouse-like area for your loot. Maybe a private office for your crime lord or even a small meeting area. Whatever you think is interesting!

Wow I've only had one response since 3pm...I'm starting to think the challenge wasn't as fun as I thought it was Please respond with any thoughts you might have (positive or negative) or drop me a private message. Thanks!
Inventor
#18 Old 27th May 2014 at 7:56 AM
I haven't started playing it yet!

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 27th May 2014 at 11:13 AM Last edited by MistyDW : 27th May 2014 at 11:27 AM.
Just a brief note on trading and stealing.
Keep in mind that this is a post apocalyptic world. Everyone is living in a shack. They might have gotten lucky and acquired a nice thing or two, but you're not going to find things like huge flat screen televisions, VR goggles, hot tubs, etc. The primary intent of trade/steal is that the majority of items you will get are modest, everyday things. Perhaps someone is a carpenter and they can make basic furniture and sell it, or someone might have a limited storage of batteries. Just be realistic. You're primarily dealing with the people who weren't good enough to get into the colony. Believe me, the rich are gone and took the flat screen TVs with them!

Also, remember you are on generator power,. Generators do not provide an unlimited source of juice. Sure it will run all of your lights and small appliances, you are running your fridge during that time to try to make ice so that you can keep your food cool during non-electric times. Try to stagger your use of items that are going to need a lot of power. For example, don't have mom roasting a turkey while dad is on the treadmill (if you were lucky enough to scavenge one).

Finally, use your best judgement. Really think about whether something is feasible. For example. A TV sounds nice, but how many channels do you think are really broadcasting? And if you do get that hot tub (nice job carrying that home on your bike or horse cart by the way), how many buckets of water is it going to take to fill that thing?

Just giving you a few pointers you may not have thought of.
Happy simming!

p.s. Forgot something!! Any children that you raise that are not your own are 100% lloyal to you and may be placed in vacant houses to bring the house under your control. Remember, teens may be considered adults in this challenge (if you so choose and have the mods to make it so). You should be sending them to the house with a spouse and enough supplies to get them started.

I will be modifying the challenge to say this. I will also be adding a new section to the challenge (under general rules) called "Yes Virginia, there is a babysitter, but she may take more than you bargained for".
Test Subject
#20 Old 27th May 2014 at 3:33 PM
I really want to start playing this (loved part 1) but I don't know hoe to build the shacks - it says look at the "my house" section but I cant find it - help!
Instructor
#21 Old 27th May 2014 at 3:43 PM
Man, this looks like fun but I'm finally sitting down and getting started with Part 1. It'll take forever to get to Part 4. You'll probably be done with Part 7 by the time I catch up. XD
Instructor
#22 Old 27th May 2014 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucysaur
I really want to start playing this (loved part 1) but I don't know hoe to build the shacks - it says look at the "my house" section but I cant find it - help!

I don't think she ended up making it into a section, she just outlines some of the necessary pointers under the 'SURVIVING IN A POST-APOCALYPTIC WORLD' part. Right below the bit about the T12 virus.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 27th May 2014 at 11:23 PM
I don't think she ended up making it into a section, she just outlines some of the necessary pointers under the 'SURVIVING IN A POST-APOCALYPTIC WORLD' part. Right below the bit about the T12 virus.

You are absolutely correct! Sorry about that. Sometimes when I am drafting out a challenge I refer to sections I intend to make or made and then reorganized it afterward, totally forgetting about the reference!
Test Subject
#24 Old 28th May 2014 at 12:15 AM
One more question and then i'll get right on this challenge! any restrictions on the neighbors? I know i need 10 but anything else?
Instructor
#25 Old 28th May 2014 at 1:00 AM
Just finished stripping the world, adding in the various neighbours, and finally made my main character, plus his two goons. I'm using horses as well for means of getting around.
(Obviously going with the Crime Lord Path)
Screenshots
Page 1 of 3