Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

El Tovar Hotel, Grand Canyon National Park - NO CC

by Zarathustra Posted 22nd Mar 2014 at 8:53 PM - Updated 24th Mar 2014 at 8:36 PM by Zarathustra : Roofing Accessibility Glitch

22 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 7 Feedback Posts, 14 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Constant Contestant
retired moderator THANKS POST
#2 Old 22nd Mar 2014 at 9:56 PM
Absolutely amazing! Thank you
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#3 Old 22nd Mar 2014 at 10:45 PM
I love this! Thank you. :D
Alchemist
THANKS POST
#4 Old 22nd Mar 2014 at 10:59 PM
Well, I'm totally impressed, having been numerous times to Grand Canyon and always seeing El Tovar. Never stayed there of course since we always just go for the day to take some visitor. Your comparison pictures really show just how authentic your lot is. I also enjoyed reading the history, especially the part about the non-view rooms! Thanks so much for sharing this which is all the more special since you have first hand knowledge and personal experience here.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#5 Old 22nd Mar 2014 at 11:06 PM
You did an excellent job recreating this hotel! The architecture and design are so close, I had to look twice a couple times to see which was real and which was Sim. Thank you for all the time and hard work you put into this. And thank you for sharing. It's just beautiful! My Sims are going to love it too.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 23rd Mar 2014 at 1:32 AM
O. M. Goodness! This is fantastic! What an incredible building - in all aspects
Thank you soooo much - and for the history too! I love it

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Test Subject
#7 Old 23rd Mar 2014 at 5:17 AM
Default Size of file may be too taxing for me.... but...
I really liked the beautiful creation you made and have shared with us. Unfortunately, the program kept timing out for me and I don't think my Sims will even get farther than checking. Speed of the game was drastically reduced with the renderings. IThe Sims never made it to one of those 3rd floor suites as the pathway error message hindered with attempt to go up stairs.

Keep creating your projects!!! They are nice.... Just thought to give you a little feedback on this one as I was hoping to use it a lot in the Three Lakes vacation area..

Cheers!!!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Mar 2014 at 5:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zacknlinc
I really liked the beautiful creation you made and have shared with us. Unfortunately, the program kept timing out for me and I don't think my Sims will even get farther than checking. Speed of the game was drastically reduced with the renderings. IThe Sims never made it to one of those 3rd floor suites as the pathway error message hindered with attempt to go up stairs.

Keep creating your projects!!! They are nice.... Just thought to give you a little feedback on this one as I was hoping to use it a lot in the Three Lakes vacation area..

Cheers!!!

Not sure I know what you're seeing here, with "timing out" especially... do you just mean that the size of the lot is too much for your machine? And I'm not sure I get what you mean by pathway error message either- what is it, and where in the lot are you seeing that? Let me know, and I'll try to fix it if I can! Thanks!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#9 Old 23rd Mar 2014 at 6:41 AM
This is excellent, great work. I can't stop looking at the pictures :D
Test Subject
#10 Old 23rd Mar 2014 at 9:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
Not sure I know what you're seeing here, with "timing out" especially... do you just mean that the size of the lot is too much for your machine? And I'm not sure I get what you mean by pathway error message either- what is it, and where in the lot are you seeing that? Let me know, and I'll try to fix it if I can! Thanks!

Hi there... And thanks for the timely reply....

I just tried to play the lot again and it crashed again. First time I played it was with a family of four. This time I got to play it a little longer with just one Sim. Maybe my graphic settings are set to high for my computer to play this lot without it crashing. But I will say this though, I cannot get a Sim up to the third floor. I think there is something wrong with that flight of stairs.

Also, after not being able to get up to the third floor room selected, I selected the room immediately to the right at the top of the flight of stairs leading to the 2nd floor. Something is wrong with the toilet in that room. When selected, the Sim stomps his feet and gives the hand gestures that the path is blocked. This is the same gesture he gives when attempts are made to get him up to the third floor...

I'm sure you will fix this lot to perfection. But for the moment, perhaps I need to find settings on my computer that allow me to play it and not have it crash.

Cheers!!! And thanks for this grand lot...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd Mar 2014 at 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zacknlinc
Hi there... And thanks for the timely reply....

I just tried to play the lot again and it crashed again. First time I played it was with a family of four. This time I got to play it a little longer with just one Sim. Maybe my graphic settings are set to high for my computer to play this lot without it crashing. But I will say this though, I cannot get a Sim up to the third floor. I think there is something wrong with that flight of stairs.

Also, after not being able to get up to the third floor room selected, I selected the room immediately to the right at the top of the flight of stairs leading to the 2nd floor. Something is wrong with the toilet in that room. When selected, the Sim stomps his feet and gives the hand gestures that the path is blocked. This is the same gesture he gives when attempts are made to get him up to the third floor...

I'm sure you will fix this lot to perfection. But for the moment, perhaps I need to find settings on my computer that allow me to play it and not have it crash.

Cheers!!! And thanks for this grand lot...

OK, I think the problem is the roof appearing indoors, blocking the stairway and the two 3rd-floor toilets. (You would think common sense would dictate that, if a room is considered INDOORS, there shouldn't be any roof there, but apparently EAxis doesn't operate using common sense! )For a quick-fix solution, just make a basic roof covering the entire 12x12 square above the 3rd floor and make the pitch low enough that it doesn't rise above the ACTUAL roof that's on the dummy level above it. At least in my game, that makes the stairway and toilets accessible, though it kind of messes up the outside view. That should at least make all the floors playable though, while I work on finding a more elegant solution to reupload for this lot. Thanks for catching that for me!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#12 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 9:21 PM
wow! magnificent! have you been there before?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 24th Mar 2014 at 11:49 PM
Wow....
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 25th Mar 2014 at 12:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by clm2389
wow! magnificent! have you been there before?

Well, let me put it this way: From the roof of the house I'm in right now, I'd be able to see it.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#15 Old 25th Mar 2014 at 8:27 PM
This is very truly amazing - Thank you for all your effort in detail and authenticity!

Debra (HeartDeco) & Michelle
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#16 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 1:19 AM
Another amazing build. CC free lots are my favorites. Building with out using CC is more of a challenge and requires really thinking creatively. Excellent job and a great addition to the game!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 5th Apr 2014 at 7:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by teafortwo
Another amazing build. CC free lots are my favorites. Building with out using CC is more of a challenge and requires really thinking creatively. Excellent job and a great addition to the game!

Thanks! That's one of the reasons I don't use CC in my game, despite the thousands of fantastic things people have uploaded to MTS. I'd be lying if I said I weren't tempted from time to time, and this lot was actually one of the times I came closest, just thanks to trying to make the hotel as accurate as physically possible, but I still like the result without CC, and I'm glad you do too!
Scholar
THANKS POST
#18 Old 6th Apr 2014 at 2:27 AM
This is gorgeous work. I agree with TforT. It takes much more imagination to build without CC. Bravo.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#19 Old 7th May 2014 at 9:21 AM
thx ka
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#20 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 8:13 PM
This is amazing!! And with no CC?? I know I wouldn't have been able to do it. Two thumbs up, great job! I look forward to downloading more of your work!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#21 Old 13th Oct 2014 at 9:59 PM
Thanks for this! Looking forward to the second and third floor updates!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#22 Old 20th Oct 2014 at 3:53 PM
This designs look great. Thanks for sharing.. Tymetravlaa
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 26th May 2020 at 3:47 AM
I can't believe I didn't find this until today -- this is fantastic!! I also worked at the Canyon (spring 16 - fall 17) as part of the veg crew (we've made a lot of changes to the lawn areas!). Small world!