Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Download Spree Saviour [UPD 29/12]

by Nysha Posted 28th Dec 2013 at 5:17 PM - Updated 17th Apr 2016 at 7:06 PM by Nysha

23 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 11 Feedback Posts, 11 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#2 Old 28th Dec 2013 at 8:52 PM
Dang! Another thing I never knew I couldn't live without until I saw it- cool! Although my Laptop is far less thrilled, because this means I am just about out of "excuses" to keep it TS2 free (it is only subjected to TS1 at the moment) & it has been talking to my Desktop & is very concerned about what may be in store for it shortly.

*insert picture of a crying Laptop here *

As to the graphics they look fine to me, especially given that you managed to do them in Paint. (I'm a PaintShop Pro gal myself, so I totally feel your *pain* about being "reduced" to using Paint!)

Anyway, thanks for this....but I think my Laptop may seriously hate you soon!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#3 Old 28th Dec 2013 at 9:19 PM
I downloaded a whole bunch of CC lately, so this will be supremely useful! Too bad it doesn't install Sims en masse too, lol.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#4 Old 29th Dec 2013 at 9:17 AM
Thank you so much! It's really useful
Not actually evil.
THANKS POST
#5 Old 31st Dec 2013 at 2:34 AM
Kind of you to think of the sanity and nerves of your fellow downloaders. :)
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#6 Old 31st Dec 2013 at 5:12 AM
It works great! Thanks!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#7 Old 31st Dec 2013 at 6:56 PM
It worked great for me! Thank you this will really come in handy!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#8 Old 31st Dec 2013 at 7:45 PM
I'm going to try this out later (when I stop being too lazy to even unzip this archive itself) I've got a hell of a lot of uninstalled CC so this is my sort of thing!
Test Subject
#9 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 4:53 AM
I extracted the files onto my desktop, and opened the program - that worked fine - but when I said where my 7zip installation was and clicked 'Next', the program closed. I'm running Windows 8 if that's a problem : /

---------------------------------------------------
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination
Alchemist
THANKS POST
#10 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 10:14 AM
I remember I had one of these programmes for the sims 1 and totally missed having one for the sims 2, am going to have to try this out for sure! Thanks!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 1:34 PM
Pixykid99, what did you put in for the 7-zip location?

I'll have to see if I can make it write an error log .

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#12 Old 2nd Jan 2014 at 7:30 PM
I have the same problem as Pixykid99, and I'm running Windows 7.
I put D:\Program Files (x86)\7-Zip and when I'm trying to put there something else (e.g. D:\Program Files (x86)) it throws an error.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#13 Old 3rd Jan 2014 at 10:31 AM
Could you attach the file 7zipDir.txt from the Files subdirectory and post it here?

Instructor
THANKS POST
#14 Old 3rd Jan 2014 at 11:05 AM
Sounds great and I will sure try it when I have time. I was pleased to read that the program can be extracted and run from a folder. I'm truly fed-up of programs that install themselves in the Windows system. I had recently a major crash in my windows 7, to BIOS level and had to reinstall from scratch just to notice that I had so much crap installed directly in the system that windows could no more be updated. I'm now holding myself to only programs that can be run from wherever far from the Windows shell. Would be glad when they can be run from a USB key! I have Windows 8 and am much less happy to stuff it up.
Test Subject
#15 Old 3rd Jan 2014 at 12:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Could you attach the file 7zipDir.txt from the Files subdirectory and post it here?

I haven't got this file in my Files folder. It seems to me that DownloadSpreeSaviour can't create the file 7zipDir.txt.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 3rd Jan 2014 at 1:35 PM
Oh! Did you put it in Program Files or in Program Files (x86)? If so, try running it as an administrator.

xptl, I agree! In fairness, the reason why this doesn't have any registry involvement or an automatic installer is more to do with me not bothering to work out how to do either since I didn't really need to. The only downside, for me, is that such programs tend to get lost in Windows search and the Launchy index .

Test Subject
#17 Old 3rd Jan 2014 at 4:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Oh! Did you put it in Program Files or in Program Files (x86)? If so, try running it as an administrator.

Running program as administrator didn't help either, but I moved 7-Zip folder from Program Files (x86) to Program Files and now it works fine
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#18 Old 3rd Jan 2014 at 4:31 PM
Oh, that's weird. I wonder if I need to change something to allow it to write special characters into the file. I didn't come up against this because I have 7-zip in Program Files. Thanks for the heads up, I will try to sort this out asap.

Instructor
#19 Old 5th Jan 2014 at 11:02 PM
There's a freeware program called ExtractNow which does everything this one does. I've been using it for several years
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 18th Jan 2014 at 4:40 PM
Your amount of brilliance is truly appreciated!

Any machinima support or tips sent to me will be VERY much appreciated!
I love the MTS Community!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#21 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 11:02 AM
Thank you so much, this has literally saved me from hours of unextracting files. I don't think it deleted anything important which is good
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#22 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 9:16 AM
Thank you, years ago there was this sort of download file that could be use with Firefox, That download sorter was lost, it all became music files and films, I will check this out. I am not sure about how much help or feedback I can give you, but I am just starting back at playing the Sims 2 after (4-5 years), my backups are as good as how I saved them, it will have nothing to do with your program. Thanks again for doing this
Test Subject
#23 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 6:56 AM
The base concept works, as to where it should be installed is not clear or how to pick what area you wanted to clean up. I do understand bat files so I was able to direct the program to a redundant group of files for the Sims2, and it worked very well for that purpose. Recovery I am not sure, because I move your program around the "old way via dos concept and file folders" so not the fault of your program, just working on what is needed to work out the Kinks., 7 zip has been in my utility group for a long time.

This program could be very helpful for more than the Sims2 game downloads. I hope you will work with it.

How/where to install the program ( in alpha stage I did not run in my C: drive")

Help people to find the directory the what cleaned up (I know how to use a bat file to direct my search).

Tell them where there "zip" file will be stored or let them choose, that again may be my fault because I change the bat file..

Thank you again for the program. I hope my feedback is of some use, it has been more than 4-5 years since I have played the Sims2 (life), and I am just starting to set it up. Your software did help to clean up on of my many dup files from my computer up grades.

I run the latest version of XP Pro (including any/all updates that was available)
Test Subject
#24 Old 21st Sep 2016 at 5:32 PM
im confused...

i seen the warning about using the sims 2 ultimate collection, so i moved my downloads folder up the tree a notch to sit in my documents\EA games instead.

i pointed app to my archives folder and now its been runnung thru my files for an hour, which i expected because i do have alot but what i dont get is where are these being extracted to?
i was never asked where my downloads folder is.

i look in Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection and no new download folder is created.

the files arent in Documents\EA Games\Downloads

this will be disatrous to my free hard drive space if the files get lost in some random place on my hard drive.