Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Nov 2013 at 1:01 AM Last edited by Retarded_Pig : 16th Nov 2013 at 5:04 PM.
Default RP's Lil' Thread of Problems
Hello, I'm very new to meshing and this is the first CASTable mesh I've made:

It's the comfy pet pillow from TS2, and as you'll probably first notice the kitten is suffocating inside the mesh. What I'm asking is: if there's a way to poke the animal's animation up a tad so that they don't sleep inside the mesh, or would it just be a lot less of a hassle to make the pillow lower?

Also, if you look more closely, the indoor drop shadow isn't displayed correctly. It's showing the default drop shadows image that the game uses, when I set a specific drop shadow image to be used. Am I doing something wrong, or is TSRW at fault here? Most likely me

Thanks for reading.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Nov 2013 at 1:18 AM
You can move the cat up by moving its slot up, which you can do in TSRW or in S3PE. I think I know how to do it, but given my success rate when it comes to slots, I won't rely on my memory being correct - but editing slots is definitely what you need to be googling for tutorials on .

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Sockpuppet
#3 Old 3rd Nov 2013 at 9:53 AM
Lift the transformbone in the RIG file.
You can do this with S3PE and Atevera's rig editor
Or, when using tsrw with tsrw's S3PE plugin(project contents, right click RIG, open as package in s3PE, edit RIG file)
links to proggy's:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=461919
Alchemist
#4 Old 3rd Nov 2013 at 12:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Retarded_Pig
...Also, if you look more closely, the indoor drop shadow isn't displayed correctly. It's showing the default drop shadows image that the game uses, when I set a specific drop shadow image to be used. Am I doing something wrong, or is TSRW at fault here? Most likely me

Thanks for reading.
The drop shadow is using EA's shadow blob sheet and simply replacing it with your own inside the object package will not stop your object from referencing this sheet. To fix your shadow you're best off editing the shadow's mesh so that it makes the right shape when it references EA's blob sheet. Cmo's tutorial uses different tools but at step 23 it goes over the drop shadow blob sheet and shows how to alter an object's drop shadow in game:

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...adow_And_Export

You need to apply the blob sheet shown in that tutorial to your object's mesh in your 3D editor and then make changes to either the shadow plane, the shadow plane's map, or both until the shadow fits your object correctly.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Nov 2013 at 12:17 PM
So I've managed to fix the slot, thanks Nysha. But now the animal must float in the air when climbing onto the pillow so that it doesn't clip. Maybe this next suggestion fixes this?

Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Lift the transformbone in the RIG file.
You can do this with S3PE and Atevera's rig editor
Or, when using tsrw with tsrw's S3PE plugin(project contents, right click RIG, open as package in s3PE, edit RIG file)
links to proggy's:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=461919

I changed the position of the transform bone from -0.8 to 5.0 (To test it) but the game doesn't seem to recognise my package anymore... Probably something I'm doing wrong.
Alchemist
#6 Old 3rd Nov 2013 at 1:46 PM
...I changed the position of the transform bone from -0.8 to 5.0 (To test it) but the game doesn't seem to recognise my package anymore... Probably something I'm doing wrong.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say the game doesn't recognize your package anymore but simply moving the transform bone, while not necessarily giving you the result I'm guessing you want, should not affect whether your object appears in game or not. I think you're better off moving slots more specific to the cat rather than the transform bone though.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Nov 2013 at 2:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
I'm not sure what you mean when you say the game doesn't recognize your package anymore but simply moving the transform bone, while not necessarily giving you the result I'm guessing you want, should not affect whether your object appears in game or not. I think you're better off moving slots more specific to the cat rather than the transform bone though.

Oops, Sims 3 must not have been able to read the .package file because I left S3PE open. Sorry about that . Tried again with a fresh RIG file but my changes have no effect on anything.
Alchemist
#8 Old 3rd Nov 2013 at 4:01 PM
Oops, Sims 3 must not have been able to read the .package file because I left S3PE open. Sorry about that . Tried again with a fresh RIG file but my changes have no effect on anything.
What is your clone and what are you using to edit the rig?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Nov 2013 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by orangemittens
What is your clone and what are you using to edit the rig?

pet bed large, and I'm using the grid editor in S3PE.

I also opened the mesh in blender along with the two texture images, and fixed the shadow. However, when I opened the mesh back up in TSRW, at certain angles the mesh's texture turns completely black. Could it be something to do with me exporting the lighting from Blender on accident? I followed Cmo's tutorial on how to set up Blender for TS3 meshing.
Alchemist
#10 Old 3rd Nov 2013 at 5:03 PM
pet bed large, and I'm using the grid editor in S3PE.

I also opened the mesh in blender along with the two texture images, and fixed the shadow. However, when I opened the mesh back up in TSRW, at certain angles the mesh's texture turns completely black. Could it be something to do with me exporting the lighting from Blender on accident? I followed Cmo's tutorial on how to set up Blender for TS3 meshing.
You need to move the container slots in the RSLT. You might also play around with moving the routes slots there also so the kitty doesn't walk through your pet bed before getting abruptly jerked upward into the container slot.

I don't use TSRW so I cannot comment about the blackness issue there except to say it isn't lighting from Blender causing that problem.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#11 Old 3rd Nov 2013 at 7:21 PM
...when I opened the mesh back up in TSRW, at certain angles the mesh's texture turns completely black.

If you're using Blender 2.68, it was kinda buggy and would screw up uv maps. Although I can see you problem, I'm guessing that's what it is. You should download the latest Blender.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Sockpuppet
#12 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 1:00 AM
You can lift the slots in the slots tab of tsrw(containerslots)
You need the bottom center box for the height.
update all 3 slots.(RIG and RLST will be updated once you save your file)
The animation however will not be fixed(after the cat steps in and lays down it will jump to the updated slot)

Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 5:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cmomoney
If you're using Blender 2.68, it was kinda buggy and would screw up uv maps. Although I can see you problem, I'm guessing that's what it is. You should download the latest Blender.

Weird... I downloaded Blender 2.69, and when I import the mesh back into Milkshape, it's still black. (I even uv-mapped everything over again).
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#14 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 6:06 PM
That is different. You said it was messed up in TSRW. Being black in Milkshape is just a bug between Blender and Milkshape.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 6:36 PM
That is different. You said it was messed up in TSRW. Being black in Milkshape is just a bug between Blender and Milkshape.

Well it's still black in TSRW, too.
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#16 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 7:05 PM
Is that after running it through Milkshape? What format are you using to get it into TSRW, OBJ?

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 7:11 PM
Is that after running it through Milkshape? What format are you using to get it into TSRW, OBJ?

No. I have to run the mesh through Milkshape to export the mesh as .WSO file. When importing the .OBJ file directly into TSRW, it shows an error message saying "Index was outside the bounds of the array."
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#18 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 7:49 PM
The obj export in Blender has options. One of these options is 'Include Normals'. You need to have this option checked. The options are on the left side when the file window opens, you may have to scroll down.

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 9:17 PM
The obj export in Blender has options. One of these options is 'Include Normals'. You need to have this option checked. The options are on the left side when the file window opens, you may have to scroll down.

Workshop throws another error when importing it now: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
Test Subject
#20 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 10:09 PM
Did you try using clean in MS..usually when meshes go completely black in MS for me, that fixes the problem.
Sockpuppet
#21 Old 5th Nov 2013 at 7:31 AM
Workshop throws another error when importing it now: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Think this error means the groupname of the mesh is incorrect.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 5th Nov 2013 at 4:29 PM
Think this error means the groupname of the mesh is incorrect.

If this is how you edit group names in Blender, then Workshop is still throwing the same error: (I apologize if it isn't.)
Sockpuppet
#23 Old 5th Nov 2013 at 4:46 PM
name it group0 and group1
If you run it through Milkshape everything after the underscore gets ignored and messing things up
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 5th Nov 2013 at 10:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by metisqueen30
Did you try using clean in MS..usually when meshes go completely black in MS for me, that fixes the problem.

That didn't work, but thanks for replying!

name it group0 and group1
If you run it through Milkshape everything after the underscore gets ignored and messing things up

Still throwing the same error...

I imported the .OBJ file into Milkshape after exporting it from Blender, because I was curious, and the group's names were the same as before.
Sockpuppet
#25 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 10:10 AM
can you upload the obj?
Page 1 of 4