Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 6:46 PM
I only had a few things I hadn't thanked (ever since I noticed the "% thanked" on the downloads page I try to keep it at 100!) so I just went and thanked those. Now I'm at 100% again. And that doesn't even count some of the things I thanked, that I didn't download (nice TS2 stuff I don't use since I don't play it anymore).

my tumblr - sim pics and downloads
my dreamwidth - ts2 downloads
linkdecrypter - bypass adfly and other harmful pay per click download link hiders
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 8:22 PM Last edited by chreai : 25th Oct 2013 at 10:17 PM.
I can't reach 100% because one of my downloads is no longer available. I am forever stuck at 96%. FML.

/half-joking

My TS3 Sims, patterns & recolors

Check out my Simblr! (TS3-focused, sometimes NSFW)
♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Instructor
#28 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 9:14 PM
I was already at 94%, so I finished out the last few stragglers on my list. (helps if you hit the sort button on the thanks column!)

And I just took at look at my own score card. Of the 18 uploads i have... 10 of them have less than a 10% thanks-to-download score (and that includes my most downloaded item at 4%)...
Site Helper
#29 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 9:22 PM
I was already at 100%... (Along with having thanked several things that looked like really cool ideas, even though I can't use them. I don't suppose there is a way to find out what you have already thanked but not downloaded, other than to go to thank it and discover it's already been done?)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Not actually evil.
#30 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 10:16 PM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 25th Oct 2013 at 11:24 PM.
I get some creators would like more thanks, more personal interaction, they're sad they don't get more thanks. That's all fine, their feelings are valid. We should certainly try to keep creators happy and meet folks social needs, I agree. If most folks want more thanks, then okay, let's try to get more thanks, fine.

However, I really don't get the point of encouraging a 100% thanked percentage. That just turns the thanks button into a download counter. We already have a download counter. Unless thanks mean something more than "I like this enough to download it and try it", what's the point of thanks? Couldn't we just rename the download counter the "thanks counter" and get rid of the thanks button, if that's what folks want? I agree it's good to thank a creator for something you downloaded (or just really liked), but thanks should not be compulsory. I'd never tell anyone their thanks percentage should be 100%. I may download something just to see if it works or to see if I like it. If it's borked, or clashes badly with in game stuff, or it just isn't what was advertised, or not my cup of tea, am I obligated to thank the creator for it? The thanks percentage shouldn't be like some game achievement or high score, but that's how it will feel if people are trying to attain a certain percentage.

As a creator, I really do appreciate the downloaders who want to thank creators. You folks saying you're at 100% thanks, I'm not dissing you at all, and I understand your intent is to warm a creator's heart. As a downloader, I do thank lots of stuff I download. I'm not trying to say don't thank. Just don't nag people to do it, don't make it some number to go for, don't make it a pointless redundant download counter, don't guilt trip people. Nobody owes me thanks, okay? I'm not going to cry myself to death if my thanks to downloads ratio isn't at some higher value. If you downloaded my stuff, I'm happy. If you also hit thanks, extra happy. If you left a comment, I'm super duper happy. But it's fine if you just download, so nobody feel guilty on my account.

Many other creators feel differently, so go ahead and click the heck out of their thanks buttons. It's good to make folks happy, and if that's how they get gratification, if that motivates them, great, wonderful. Just don't feel guilty on their account either. You're not a bad, greedy taker if you don't thank every single thing you ever downloaded.

edit: I just noticed a banner on My Downloads that says "Your thanks percentage is XX, good job, creators will appreciate the feedback". I approve of the intent behind that, feedback is good, and so is being appreciated for sharing your creations, but let's not confuse appreciation with feedback. A thanks clicky tells me someone liked my upload (which makes me feel warm fuzzy), or wanted to make me feel appreciated (which is certainly wonderful), or wanted a 100% so the banner would tell them super job (which doesn't do anything for me, really). Feedback would be "I like the embroidery on the pockets / how the skirt moves when the sim walks / the efficient layout of the kitchen" or "I don't like the high contrast on the knees / the mesh clipping when the sim bends their arms / the way my sims all pile up in the hallway". Feedback and showing a creator you appreciate them are not the same thing. Please tell me that banner doesn't guilt trip people if their thanks percentage is below some value, that would really bother me.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
The other one
Original Poster
#31 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 11:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatOfEvilGenius
I really don't get the point of encouraging a 100% thanked percentage. That just turns the thanks button into a download counter. We already have a download counter. Unless thanks mean something more than "I like this enough to download it and try it", what's the point of thanks? Couldn't we just rename the download counter the "thanks counter" and get rid of the thanks button, if that's what folks want? I agree it's good to thank a creator for something you downloaded (or just really liked), but thanks should not be compulsory.

I doubt many creators sit there refreshing the page waiting for their thanks count to go up but for me it's just nice to see a bit of gratitude for your efforts. I cook dinner for my family most nights and sometimes it comes out better than others (read: sometimes it's not burnt). My family eat what i make for them, the poor buggers but if they never said thanks or complemented my cooking every once in a while I would get a bit grumpy about it and start to think, "well sod you guys, you can make your own dinner next time!" I think a lot of folk see thanks for downloads the same way except they probably enjoy creating more than I enjoy cooking! It's just nice to know that your efforts are appreciated rather than just used because its what's available.

I'd never tell anyone their thanks percentage should be 100%. I may download something just to see if it works or to see if I like it. If it's borked, or clashes badly with in game stuff, or it just isn't what was advertised, or not my cup of tea, am I obligated to thank the creator for it?... Just don't nag people to do it, don't make it some number to go for, don't make it a pointless redundant download counter, don't guilt trip people.

If that's how the post came across then I'm sorry for poorly wording it.
This is only supposed to be a bit of light-hearted encouragement to use a function on the site that is vastly underused yet gives many people warm and fuzzies when it is used. There is no site rule demanding that people do this and, to my knowledge, there is no way of even checking who did take part or who does and who doesn't have 100% (well, maybe Delphy can, idk). Whether a person thanks or not is between them and the creator. Likewise, if someone doesn't want to thank for something then they're free to leave constructive feedback or just forget the item ever existed.

So in conclusion: it's not about a perfect score, it's about showing gratitude to someone who's efforts and/or creativity you appreciated.
Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
How to get involved
Simply look up your previous downloads and hit thanks on any that you appreciated.

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Theorist
#32 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 11:36 PM
I thought it was a lovely idea, missroxor, and a pleasant surprise to log in and see my thanks count today. So thank you.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 11:37 PM
My thanks was around 50%, but it is now around 95%. There are a few downloads I can't thanks, due to the threads being deleted

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Steam ID: PadukSteam
Not actually evil.
#34 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 12:24 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 26th Oct 2013 at 12:35 AM.
I doubt many creators sit there refreshing the page waiting for their thanks count to go up but for me it's just nice to see a bit of gratitude for your efforts. I cook dinner for my family most nights and sometimes it comes out better than others (read: sometimes it's not burnt). My family eat what i make for them, the poor buggers but if they never said thanks or complemented my cooking every once in a while I would get a bit grumpy about it and start to think, "well sod you guys, you can make your own dinner next time!" I think a lot of folk see thanks for downloads the same way except they probably enjoy creating more than I enjoy cooking! It's just nice to know that your efforts are appreciated rather than just used because its what's available.

A huge, hearty YES to everything in the above paragraph! Certainly we all like to be appreciated for our efforts, and those who never thank are not being appreciative. I'd say "sod it" too and leave if I got zero appreciation.
If that's how the post came across then I'm sorry for poorly wording it.
This is only supposed to be a bit of light-hearted encouragement to use a function on the site that is vastly underused yet gives many people warm and fuzzies when it is used. There is no site rule demanding that people do this and, to my knowledge, there is no way of even checking who did take part or who does and who doesn't have 100% (well, maybe Delphy can, idk). Whether a person thanks or not is between them and the creator. Likewise, if someone doesn't want to thank for something then they're free to leave constructive feedback or just forget the item ever existed.

So in conclusion: it's not about a perfect score, it's about showing gratitude to someone who's efforts and/or creativity you appreciated.

My criticism was not specifically aimed at your post, and I'm now actually rather sorry because I probably came across as too critical of the idea. I really, REALLY do like the intent of this "thank the creators" drive, I do.

I know there is no site rule, I know no site staff have said "you must go for 100%". However, when I see people publicly posting their percentage, discussing it in a forum, that worries me. Maybe they didn't feel pressured or guilt tripped, maybe they're not trying to pressure anyone, but posted numbers will be perceived as pressure by some, people will feel they need to compete and measure up, or just want to get that "high score achievement". Thanks should be voluntary and heartfelt, but I worry quantifying it goes against that. The banner worries me because of what it may say to people with a "low" thanks percentage. I have no idea what it actually says for all percentage values. Would just like some reassurance that it's not along the lines of "go thank more, your number should be higher, you are ungrateful". I doubt it's that blunt, but I don't want something like that even implied in jest. I worry the banner tells people a 100% thanks rate is better than 50% or 75%. [edit: or 8%] I actually think 50% thanks gives some information about what people like, while 100% thanks just duplicates someone's download count. I also think the banner conflates feedback with appreciation. Would prefer "creators will appreciate the thanks" rather than "creators will appreciate the feedback". To me, a download without thanks does NOT say "I only got this because it's available". It says to me "I chose to come to this site, to download this particular item because I wanted to. I could have gone elsewhere, I could have not downloaded." However, a download with thanks says to me "I quite, quite liked this and appreciate your work" and that is so nice. I realize I probably came across as harsh when what you were most certainly trying to do is encourage downloaders to give creators warm fuzzies, and that is a great goal. My concerns are about how MTS is encouraging folks, not that they're trying to encourage folks.

Thank you, missroxor, for wanting to spread warm fuzzies. I'm quite happy as an introvert, don't require a lot of personal interaction, very wary of pressuring people, and have a different idea of what's "sufficient" thanks clickies than most, but that's me. If most creators are happy with the "thanks drive", and most downloaders are fine with it, if it means getting more creator participation and uploads, then yay! I'm glad I have the opportunity to voice my concerns, and especially grateful that site staff respond to them, but I'll keep others' opinions and the big picture in mind.

(edited for run ons, spelling, and punctuation)

Field Researcher
#35 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 2:21 AM
I don't know if I've thanked something I didn't like... Mine was at 96% and I thanked everything left since, frankly, there was no reason for discrimination. Besides, most was stuff from my Sims 2 days and were perfectly fine as props that I'd used in some stories. My thanks is more like "thanks for the time and effort in creating this!" since I'm mainly hunting for things for my stories. I don't download something until I've given some thought as to how I would/if I could use it. I download like I shop: with a list and careful consideration when deviating from what I came for or when browsing. If I am especially grateful or think it's a unique idea, then I leave a comment. If it's too awesome then it's favorited.

I guess I download so much for stories and then get rid of them when I'm done that I rarely remember it afterward. So, if I'm gonna be grateful, it has to be immediately. Just like I have to do face to face in "real" life. Unless it really sticks out enough to get a favorite or comment, the likelihood of me returning is small. I'm not trying to forget good stuff, but my mind is constantly going a mile a minute and I tend to forget things once I've moved on. I'm not a creator, but I do understand that it's time and effort and something I don't do and I really am grateful that people are willing to take out of their time to create something. Especially as it makes the details in my tales so magnificent! and I am painfully detail-oriented. What I'm trying to say is I don't feel pressured.

But I do understand the other side of it. Some folks might feel pressure or competition or guilt, but you never have to do something you don't want to. So, if this is making you uncomfortable, Do Not Do It! Do it because you're grateful, not because you feel bad. But honestly, if I downloaded for game play only, I'd probably "thank" differently as functionality would be priority over look. Wow... I should play the game sometime... haven't done it in ages...
Scholar
#36 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 5:42 AM
I was downloading quite a lot of custom contents from The Sims 2 & 3! Well I finally reached 100%! :D

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#37 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 5:53 AM
I think this is a great idea, both as both a creator as well as a downloader. I must admit to mostly on old downloads to not having thanked many at all. *blush* I just wish it didn't go back to the first page and rest itself to 20 per page. I've started opening those non thanked ones in a new tab which has helped. Not that I am getting many done today, I have the flu and I've already accidentally clicked the wrong thing twice. I noticed these unthanked ones a few days before this thread came up and I had been slowly trying to add a thanks on my older downloads, but I will aim to do it faster! Just that I will wait until I feel better.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#38 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 7:20 AM
I know there is no site rule, I know no site staff have said "you must go for 100%". However, when I see people publicly posting their percentage, discussing it in a forum, that worries me. Maybe they didn't feel pressured or guilt tripped, maybe they're not trying to pressure anyone, but posted numbers will be perceived as pressure by some, people will feel they need to compete and measure up, or just want to get that "high score achievement". Thanks should be voluntary and heartfelt, but I worry quantifying it goes against that. The banner worries me because of what it may say to people with a "low" thanks percentage. I have no idea what it actually says for all percentage values. Would just like some reassurance that it's not along the lines of "go thank more, your number should be higher, you are ungrateful". I doubt it's that blunt, but I don't want something like that even implied in jest. I worry the banner tells people a 100% thanks rate is better than 50% or 75%. [edit: or 8%] I actually think 50% thanks gives some information about what people like, while 100% thanks just duplicates someone's download count. I also think the banner conflates feedback with appreciation. Would prefer "creators will appreciate the thanks" rather than "creators will appreciate the feedback". To me, a download without thanks does NOT say "I only got this because it's available". It says to me "I chose to come to this site, to download this particular item because I wanted to. I could have gone elsewhere, I could have not downloaded." However, a download with thanks says to me "I quite, quite liked this and appreciate your work" and that is so nice. I realize I probably came across as harsh when what you were most certainly trying to do is encourage downloaders to give creators warm fuzzies, and that is a great goal. My concerns are about how MTS is encouraging folks, not that they're trying to encourage folks.

I can only speak for myself as a downloader but I think it's important to show that you appreciate the effort creators, like yourself, put on their stuff so this was a good reminder for me to check if I had forgotten to thank anyone, which I had. If I download something I'd like to thank as well even if I might end up not using it. I know I'm too lazy to give proper feedback though, shame on me, since I know that I would like that too if I was sharing my creations.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 8:22 AM
Love it!
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 11:22 AM Last edited by _Thundergirl_ : 26th Oct 2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Adding stuff :P
60%?! I'm sowwy... *Hides*

over 400 downloads!?! Woah...

****1 hour and 9 minutes later**** (Yes I actually timed it!)

Waaa....
Finally! Finally I am at 100%! So happy

I ended up redownloading a LOT of stuff, and putting quite a few new comments on things too, so I think that this was a good idea. Encouraging people to look at stuff they already downloaded, but didn't thank, etc. It reminded me of some of the Awesome things out there, that I forgot to add back to my game when I had to remove all my mods once. Plus some things I looked at, forgot about, and then moved on because I didn't have the right expansion pack or stuff pack. I've since bought more, and now I can download these things finally
Inventor
#41 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 2:14 PM
OMG, only 11%
I am so crasy
Field Researcher
#42 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 7:31 PM
Neat idea!
I actually had 95% thanked already, but now it's 100%!

Noone expects the spanish inquisition!
My simblr and my downloads blog .
Test Subject
#43 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 7:36 PM
What a good feature which I didn't know existed up until this point!
I went from 5% to 100%
Scholar
#44 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 8:24 PM
I've now thanked 100% of my 1,409 downloads (yes, I'm crazy).

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Not actually evil.
#45 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 8:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alma70
I can only speak for myself as a downloader but I think it's important to show that you appreciate the effort creators, like yourself (snip) I know I'm too lazy to give proper feedback though, shame on me, since I know that I would like that too if I was sharing my creations.

Alma (and other thanks clickers), thank you for the appreciation, for thanks clickies, and not just on my own behalf. Creators really like those clickies, and gratitude is just a beautiful thing.

Please, please don't think of yourself as lazy. You are NOT lazy. Feedback is certainly nice, whether it's about some detail someone really liked, or some detail they didn't care for, or about something that didn't work. However, not everyone needs to leave feedback. It's totally, completely fine with me if all someone wants to say is "I liked this, thanks" with a thanks clicky because there isn't anything specific or detailed, good or bad, that they'd like to point out. Alma, if you do upload things, I'll try to remember you would like detailed feedback and post some.

---------------------

I have now seen numerous folks say things like I was only at 60% or I was only at 10%, shame on me, I'm sorry, or I dragged my percentage off the floor. Maybe this was mostly in jest. I hope so. There were smileys and winks and llamas, so probably folks were at least partly joking. I hope most folks are just having fun. I really, really hope people aren't actually feeling bad and beating themselves up over this. If you WANT TO thank everything you ever downloaded, as some folks have said they do, because that's what's in your heart, that's how you want to show appreciation, that's fine and we creators appreciate the warm fuzzies you send our way. However, if someone happens to be at 60% or 10% or whatever, any number, I personally don't care what your number is and I personally will not judge you or find you ungrateful. Qnshr5 made a great comment about different reasons to download and different thanks styles. Maybe some folks download a ton of stuff, and sift through it later, and only keep a bit. Some folks want to thank even if they don't use something, and that's lovely, and others don't feel the need to do so, and that is totally fine. I understand some creators are very happy about more thanks, some folks feel the thanks feature is greatly underutilized, and I'm very glad those folks are feeling better because of "thanks-clicking". Just please, nobody actually feel bad, okay?

I'm personally very uncomfortable with all this public sharing of numbers. I know it's what the OP specifically asked for, and that others are just fine with it, I get that, but I still have concerns about quantifying and comparing people's gratitude. It's not a number and shouldn't be compared as such. I'd really rather just see downloaders say "I raised my thanks percentage because I want to spread warm fuzzies" or creators say "I got more thanks clickies and now I have warm fuzzies" instead of actual numbers. If Delphy and site staff want to know what the actual numbers are, want to know how much of an effect "thanks-clicking" had, I'm sure they have a database of those numbers they can look at. Really not trying to rain on the Warm Fuzzies Parade, not at all, just don't think public number comparisons are the best way to go about this. The first post asked creators to share before / after thanks percentages and actual screengrabs of graphs. I don't feel at all comfortable doing that, although I get nobody is trying to make me uncomfortable. I'm not competing with other creators, I'm not judging downloaders, and I'm not asking anyone for more clickies, but posting numbers *feels* like all of that to me. I don't even calculate the thanks percentage for myself, feel no need to. I get other creators feel very differently, and that's totally fine. I'm NOT saying any of you are competing or judging or demanding clickies. Only that public numbers have the potential to be perceived by some in such a way, and that *qualitative* rather than *quantitave* posts might be better. I might send the numbers in a PM if missroxor can't access the database. missroxor, I think the idea to spread warm fuzzies is wonderful, and I know many folks are fine with public numbers, and nobody is trying to make me uncomfortable, so again, thanks for wanting to spread warm fuzzies.

---------------------

joandsarah77 Oh my gosh, I hope you feel better! The flu can be miserable. Your determination to spread warm fuzzies while battling the flu certainly says you really want those warm fuzzies sent out, but thanks clickies can wait. Glad you're giving them a rest to take care of yourself.

*gives bowl of soup*

(^.^)>U

Test Subject
#46 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 9:25 PM
I know this must seem so pathetic, but I only thanked 38% of my downloads. Now I'm up to 100%. It took me forever to thank everybody.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#47 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 9:39 PM
Quote:
CatOfEvilGenius joandsarah77 Oh my gosh, I hope you feel better! The flu can be miserable. Your determination to spread warm fuzzies while battling the flu certainly says you really want those warm fuzzies sent out, but thanks clickies can wait. Glad you're giving them a rest to take care of yourself.

*gives bowl of soup*

(^.^)>U

*Takes soup gratefully.* That just about hits the spot today, thanks! It was vomiting flu, and lets just say I could have spent the last two days doing lots better things! But I'm feeling quite a bit better today, even if still a bit fuzzy headed. My cat obviously knows because she has come and jumped on my lap again.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#48 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 10:39 PM Last edited by virgalibabe : 27th Oct 2013 at 10:52 AM.
I just updated my long list of pending thanks. I'm currently at 99% because I don't have access to those pages.

Edit: I meant to say that I don't have access to two of the download pages anymore. Typing late at night has proven to be challenge to me it seems.

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Instructor
#49 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 12:17 AM
Well to me it's about courtesy; It's like someone handing you a gift in real life with a smile on their face and with good intentions, only to snatch it up without bothering to utter a measly "thanks" in return. Even if the gift is not something you end up using or is slightly broken, you would still say thank you IRL. That's why I felt bad about having not thanked many of my previous downloads and wanted to rectify it.
The fact that someone has taken the time to even make something at all and upload it in the hopes of making someone else's game more enjoyable is reason enough to give thanks, I think . Maybe specific numbers aren't important, but it's a nice reminder to be more courteous.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#50 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 12:25 AM
Be aware on classic view that leaving a comment does not always leave a thanks anymore, I've found a few threads that I know I left a comment on still show as unthanked.

~Call me Jo~
Page 2 of 5