Welcome to
Mod The Sims
Online: 2104
News:
Have an account? Sign in:
pass:
If you don't have an account, why not sign up now? It's free!
Other sites: SimsWiki
Reply  Replies: 19 (Who?), Viewed: 5874 times.
Search this Thread
Old 4th Aug 2013, 8:41 PM DefaultUnderwater Building #1
ToadShupak
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Is there any way to build underwater? I would really love to be able to make underwater homes for my mermaid sims...
Old 4th Aug 2013, 10:18 PM #2
Srikandi
Eminence Grise

13 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadShupak
Is there any way to build underwater? I would really love to be able to make underwater homes for my mermaid sims...

Well, not really. Regular building tools don't work underwater, and although you can place all kinds of objects there, they lose their interactions. Understandable, because interactions typcially go with animations, and the land-based animations would not fit at all for a swimmer.

You CAN "build" using objects such as deco ruins for walls, or just by sculpting the terrain to make "rooms"... but your sims are never going to be able to use a bed or eat anything but kelp.

I experimented with this for a bit and was able to make a basement underwater... was hoping I might actually be able to make a WA style tomb. However, I couldn't give sims access to it, since they can't interact with stairs or the like :/

It's possible there's some way around that; make a side entry basement, for instance. I'd try the Building forum under Create if you really want to pursue it. But the limiting factor will still be the ability to do anything in your underwater home aside from interacting with the objects in the dive sort that came with IP.
Old 5th Aug 2013, 12:15 AM #3
darkshader15
Banned

or try following THIS tut
Old 5th Aug 2013, 2:15 PM #4
ToadShupak
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Thank you both!
Old 5th Aug 2013, 6:05 PM #5
Volvenom
Theorist

14 Achievements

View My Journal

In caw or the create-a-world tool you can make yourself a tiny island, and when you're finished making your lot above water lift the sea level and you have an underwater lot. I haven't tested it, just so you know Might not work at all.
Old 5th Aug 2013, 6:32 PM #6
ToadShupak
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

That's a really cool idea, thanks!
Old 6th Aug 2013, 12:03 AM #7
mflaha55
Field Researcher

7 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikandi
... I experimented with this for a bit and was able to make a basement underwater... was hoping I might actually be able to make a WA style tomb. However, I couldn't give sims access to it, since they can't interact with stairs or the like :/

It's possible there's some way around that; make a side entry basement, for instance...

Maybe a dive well would work? Place one on land and the other inside the basement?
Old 9th Aug 2013, 8:01 PM #8
StellarWhales
Test Subject

Well in the sims 2 it was the same problem you could not do anything underwater maybe possibly someone will eventually come up with a mod just a little patience.
Old 10th Aug 2013, 3:12 AM #9
Srikandi
Eminence Grise

13 Achievements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarWhales
Well in the sims 2 it was the same problem you could not do anything underwater maybe possibly someone will eventually come up with a mod just a little patience.

Hmm? In TS2 there was no underwater gameplay. In TS3 with IP, there is. There are quite a few underwater interactions, but basically it's restricted to "view" plus objects designed for underwater use (thus mostly restricted to IP objects).

As I mentioned above, the issue is the same whether you're a modder or EA: you can't just port land interactions to underwater, because the animations would be all wrong. You'd pretty much have to develop new animations for every interaction you want to make usable underwater, and that is both challenging and time-consuming.
Old 10th Aug 2013, 4:42 AM #10
PSDuckie
Forum Resident

7 Achievements

View My Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvenom
In caw or the create-a-world tool you can make yourself a tiny island, and when you're finished making your lot above water lift the sea level and you have an underwater lot. I haven't tested it, just so you know Might not work at all.

I tried something like that. It messed up the world. Don't do it.

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has started!

PM me if you want to add me on Simport!
Old 12th Aug 2013, 3:11 AM #11
cthretard1
Test Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikandi
As I mentioned above, the issue is the same whether you're a modder or EA: you can't just port land interactions to underwater, because the animations would be all wrong. You'd pretty much have to develop new animations for every interaction you want to make usable underwater, and that is both challenging and time-consuming.

Instead of recreating the animations, I wonder if there might be a way to trick the game into identifying an enclosed underwater area as above the water level. I'd guess it's a long shot, but maybe the hidden orbs like the fog emitter/room hider/etc. are in this vein. There's definitely something in the game code to differentiate between above and below water. It'd be super cool if someone could figure it out so we could manipulate it.

I'm really into this underwater building idea. I've been trying to figure out how to make a functioning underwater city for weeks to no avail. Kudos for making this post, Toad!
Old 21st Aug 2013, 10:18 PM #12
mlmbug
Test Subject

2 Achievements

I tried building a basement and using a LAMA to get into it however none of the objects worked (not even lighting) and it just ended up with every sim who used the LAMA to get to the basement just being stuck and unable to do anything except whine about how they couldn't move anywhere.
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 4:11 AM #13
ToadShupak
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Cool ideas, all! Yeah, I have not had any luck on this front either.

Long-shot-dreamer idea, but they should make a whole underwater EP, mersims, underwater creatures, underwater pets, underwater buildings... (maybe for sims 4) or one of the downloadable worlds. OR an underwater world as a travel destination like Al-Simhara and the others in World Adventures.

...I can dream.
Old 24th Aug 2013, 4:40 AM DefaultHouses under water in Sims 2 #14
tomboy
Field Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarWhales

In Sims 2 I was able to build houses on lots with shallow water levels, then lower the entire house underwater. The houses behaved like a normal house, with the exception of hair, glass and water in tubs, showers etc. The hair changed, glass and water can not been seen, this includes mirrors. This did not effect the interactions.

I wrote a tutorial and made special houses for Mermaid Sims. These are on Sims Resources under my user name of littlelamb. I have tried to apply the building technique to Sims 3 but so far have had no luck. I keep trying every now and then when a new idea comes to me.
Old 24th Aug 2013, 9:07 AM #15
bbc100
Lab Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboy
In Sims 2 I was able to build houses on lots with shallow water levels, then lower the entire house underwater. The houses behaved like a normal house, with the exception of hair, glass and water in tubs, showers etc. The hair changed, glass and water can not been seen, this includes mirrors. This did not effect the interactions.

I wrote a tutorial and made special houses for Mermaid Sims. These are on Sims Resources under my user name of littlelamb. I have tried to apply the building technique to Sims 3 but so far have had no luck. I keep trying every now and then when a new idea comes to me.
I was going to get around to say that there was a way but I can't remember where I saw it...

Sims 3 is good! And so is Sims 2 UC because it runs better than Sims 3 on my laptop! And using Windows 8.1 as well!
Old 24th Aug 2013, 3:51 PM #16
ToadShupak
Original Poster

Lab Assistant

Quote:

that's really really cool, thanks so much. I wish the same thing would work in 3!
Old 28th Aug 2013, 11:13 AM #17
Volvenom
Theorist

14 Achievements

View My Journal

Quote:

I did manage to build a basement with the basement tool underwater. I could see there was a bump in the sea on that lot. I didn't test it though. Could possibly work, I used a entrance from the land part via more sub-basements. I think I even had windows in it. It's not above ground though, it's still below.

There probably wouldn't be water inside. That is probably the game's definition on what is water. If you could trick the game into thinking it was above and act like it.
Old 29th Aug 2013, 9:37 AM #18
kathness
Test Subject

Guys! sorry but I quite dont understand the procedures of building underwater... how am I suppose to build mine on my custom neighborhood? because I am currently making one but I don't know how to start it ...
Old 7th Oct 2013, 10:34 PM #19
metalmancer85
Test Subject

I've tried this as well. For one thing to go under water, the lot has to be designated "dive spot" so you can't "live" there no matter what. That said, using move objects I was able to but down a refrigerator, stove, bed, table, chair, toilet and tub and my visiting mermaid was able to use them, only problem being that they sometimes sunk into the floor before interaction animations began. Interestingly, they did swim while carrying a plate of food very nicely.

I also tried the same on a residential lot with a border to border poolpool and same result so that is how you can have a mermaid totally live under water. The same did not work on ponds. On and they sometimes would walk on water living in the pool.

Closest I came to actual underwater buildings was plopping a residential lot, building a house, then changing lot type to dive spot and flattening terrain. This produced a surface house with a foundation stretching to the ocean floor. My Sim was able to go into it via a door and elevator but there were so many routing and animation problems I didn't pursue it any further.
Old 29th Dec 2013, 8:38 AM #20
Bloodydagger27
Test Subject

God I wish EA made underwater gameplay a thing. Especially for mermaids.

Section jump: