Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#26 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 2:06 PM
Lol, and I was looking at that thinking "I wonder if it's big enough..."

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#27 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 2:40 PM
It's not terribly large. Especially for a restaurant or the furniture store. I made mine a furniture store and really wished I had more room. I think it's not as big as it looks. It's a very zoomed in picture. It's only (roughly) 13x22. Also, I may go a lil bigger than some with my businesses because I like to put a restroom (or two) and a break room in my businesses

tallyb, anyone is welcome to join, up to 20 contestants. Just download the lot and pick a business. There will be 3 more rounds after this, so if you don't think you'll have time in the next 8 weeks, this contest might not be for you. But if you've got the time, you are more than welcome!
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#28 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 2:59 PM
It must be me then. I only ever make tiny shops, usually on the 1x3 minilots. I've never made a successful furniture store though, so maybe it's not too big. I can't wait to be schooled!
Field Researcher
#29 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 3:27 PM
I took a look at the lot in game and I said to myself 'it's very big with quite complicated shape (!) and I have to seriously consider what business should I locate on it'. I haven't made decision yet, but what I alredyd did was excluding some of them because the style/outdoor free space didn't fit my ideas! For example I can't imagine a family restaurant without small playground.
My shops are mostly on 2x2 lots.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#30 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 3:43 PM
I forgot these are 3x3. I wanted to do 2x2, but I wanted to make them BG friendly, and there are no 2x2s in BG, so they ended up 3x3.
Field Researcher
#31 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 3:48 PM Last edited by w_sims : 22nd Jun 2013 at 4:26 PM.
Thinking about it, I think I'd like to try my hand at judging, if that's ok! Pictures are beneath the cut!

Like this post? You'll love my Tumblr! 😉
retired moderator
#32 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 4:19 PM
jones, 2x2 is BG friendly. There is that tiny wooded house lot way away from the hood camera. You just can't get 2x2 starting plots.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#33 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 5:30 PM
Oh, so if I made a lot in an AGS with NL only. Since it's just walls, would it be BG friendly?

And you are welcome to judge, w_sims! My those houses look familiar...
retired moderator
#34 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 5:42 PM
You'd be better off downloading a 2x2 minilot and build the walls on it in BG that way. The minilots were shrunk and poked to be BG, so doing it with NL will still require NL. This set is BG and has a 2x2: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=276944
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 5:57 PM
I have those lots. I've never uploaded anything on one. Does the CC lot package with it? I'd like to avoid CC. Not that it really matters right now, I'd like to keep all the lots the same size anyway. But for future reference.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#36 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 9:56 PM
I thought we were doing 2 by 2 until I loaded the lot up-I don't know why I thought that. So every building will be about the same size jones? Or is that something for you to know and us to find out? What I first planned won't work as Liv said, not enough outside space. I like the shape though, that will just make me think a bit more on where I place things.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#37 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 10:14 PM
Wait...does this mean that we're restricted to just the base game and OFB for the expansion content we use?

The Darkdusk Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
The Nightmagic Legacy has ended. Read the whole thing!
Last of Her Kind has ended thanks to a dead computer.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#38 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 10:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PSDuckie
Wait...does this mean that we're restricted to just the base game and OFB for the expansion content we use?
I'm pretty sure you can use any expansions for this, just that it helps if you have OFB.

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#39 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 10:28 PM
You can use whenever EPs you want, I just try to make the lots BG compatible in case some don't use EPs.

Jo, you probably though that because I said it, lol. I forgot that I ended up doing 3x3... some of the lots have a bit more outside space, but a little less inside.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#40 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 10:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PSDuckie

I don't think you're restricted to anything -apart from not using pay custom content, that is restricted. Jones made the lot so that it could be used by people who only have the base game and OFB because not everyone has all the EP's.

I keep thinking your avi is karen's and karen's is yours. *dizzy*

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#41 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 10:31 PM
You've said we can use stages outside for decoration purposes, does that include putting it on the roof to make a decent looking flat roof?

Rome wasn't built in a day

Need help finding building items, check out my building blog https://bestbuilditems4sims2.wordpress.com/
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#42 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 1:00 AM
Yes, I'd say that's fine, as it would be inaccessible to sims. It's still just for decoration.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#43 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 2:22 AM
Jones I'm wondering what the theme 'Hollywood' means exactly? I know it's the film capital of the US, but does that mean it must be about films or can it just mean wealthy? Guess you can tell what I'm building there now. :P

~Call me Jo~
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#44 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 2:45 AM
Well, I left the themes a little broad on purpose. But I would say it should at least have somethings "film" related. Even if it's just a very upscale, fancy shmacy decor with a handful of pics of movie stars on the walls...like this , only not such an absurd amount of pictures
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#45 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 8:18 AM
Back again. About the table rule
Quote:
at least 8 tables
Can side tables count in that 8 to hold champagne, deserts etc or does it have to be 8 tables sims can sit at? The rules don't specify that they have to be dining type tables, so can I get away with a combination of dining and side tables? Thought I better ask that before I build too far.

~Call me Jo~
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#46 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 2:56 PM
I will edit the requirements. I meant dining tables.
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#47 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 8:29 PM Last edited by porkypine : 24th Jun 2013 at 5:24 AM.
hmmm... *Takes test stuff out of game.. puts cc back into game.... decides to make entry application....

... fires up game..

Oh! I guess I better read the rules!

* six eons later, bloated cc full game loads.... Hmmm. Which neighborhood should I use! A NEW one! Ok lot built sending family with kids to the store.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#48 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jones7659
I will edit the requirements. I meant dining tables.

So I can't get away with that? Thanks Jones -not! :P

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#49 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 12:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jones7659
All lots will be 2x2s. <Strike that, 3x3s...my bad.

Or...3x2 even?! Or did something go wrong in my game?!

Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 24th Jun 2013 at 1:39 AM
Yeah, so they are.; 3x2. Can you tell I've got a head cold, lol. I'm not all here at the moment

Page 2 of 50