Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 5:54 PM Last edited by jones7659 : 19th Sep 2013 at 1:32 AM.
Default Build a Business-Finished
I'm back...lol. I promised a break from my Basegame 'hood makeovers before Strangetown. And I'm still giving one, as this is something completely different Just don't know what to do with myself without a contest to host. So today I bring you...

Qualifications to Host: Hosted Pleasantview and Veronaville Home Makeover contests.

Concept: I will give you a community lot with only the outside walls. You will choose from one of 6 businesses to turn it into. Each business will have a set of requirements. OFB is very strongly recommended, though you could fake it with CC.

Rules
  • This is a TS2 only contest.
  • Only free CC is allowed.
  • Pictures should be big and clear. See MTS Guidelines
  • Up to 8 pics for each lot. At least 1 exterior, 1 top down and 3 interior.
  • No collages.
  • You may add whatever interior walls you choose.
  • You may NOT add exterior walls, or edit the existing ones.
  • You may add whatever half walls, fences or awnings you choose.
  • All requirements for your chosen business must be in the building. For example, if you wish to add outside seating, that is fine, as long as the required amount is within the building.
  • Stages maybe used however you wish inside. Outside they may be used as deco only. I.E. planters, pedestals, etc.

Requirements: This a contest for any skill level. It would be helpful to be fairly familiar with taking good screenshots. You will be required to post upto 8 pictures of each lot. Any level of decorating skill is welcome.

Timeline: The application round, is also round 1 and will be scored. It will last for two weeks. There will be 4 rounds total, each lasting two weeks.

Application/Round 1 is closed - SCORES

Round 2 is over.-SCORES

Round 3 is over SCORES

Round 4 is over

Judging: I would like three judges. Eventhough I said I wouldn't do it again, I'm going to judge this one because I kind of missed it last time. So I need two more judges and an EJ. If you would like to apply to be a judge, please just post one interior and one exterior shot of any lot, doesn't even have to be the same lot, that you have decorated. Judges will be expected to have their scores in within 72 hours.

Judge 1Judge 2Judge 3Emergency Judge
jones7659Phaenohw_simspurplegopher

Scoring:

There will be 65 possible points each round.

3 Sections will be scored by each judge (15 pts per judge)

Overall Design 5 pts: Does the design look nice? Is it coheasive? Do the chosen colors or patterns go well together?

Theme 5 pts: Does this design fit the theme for the chosen business? Is it executed well?

Playability 5 pts: Is there enough space for sims to move around? (Remember these are comm lots, so there may be a high volume of sims, so leave plenty of open space to prevent foot stomping)

2 sections will only be scored once. Each judge should still look at these parts and let me know if you notice anything, I might miss something

Requirements 10 pts: Does the lot meet all the requirements?

Structure 10 pts: Are any exterior walls added, changed or removed? Any other structural rules broken?

We need 10 contestants to get this contest going, but will take up to 20.

ContestantRound 1ScoreRound 2ScoreRound 3ScoreRound 4ScoreFinal
porkypinetoy store55.5dropped out-----55.5
ekrubynaffittoy store59clothing store58cafe59furniture store-176
sxybayoubrothaclothing store58dropped out-----58
PSDuckietoy store42cafe37.5upscale restaurant40clothing store-119.5
BlakeS5678cafe52.5toy store52.5----105
joandsarah77upscale restaurant59clothing store57family restaurant61toy store-177
Loaffamily restaurant59furniture store54.5cafe59clothing store-172.5
hannahsim201999toy store43cafe42.5furniture store45--130.5
kanzencafe62furniture store64.5clothing store61.5family restaurant-188
CatherineTCJDfamily restaurant57furniture store50.5upscale restaurant62cafe-169.5
anna220family restaurant51upscale restaurant49toy store51.5furniture store-151.5
karen lorraineclothing store63upscale restaurant63family restaurant62.5furniture store-188.5
sugar50clothing store48family restaurant60.5cafe61toy store-169.5
Night Racerupscale restaurant63------63
seigyoku53227cafe48.5dropped out-----48.5
TheDeadSimupscale restaurant60clothing store64toy store58.5cafe-182.5
Cyshixfamily restaurant48.5upscale restaurant57.5cafe52.5clothing store-158.5
KeyboardKattoy store52.5------52.5
st_dcafe57clothing store48.5----105.5

The Businesses: You can only use each one once, and you will not use all of them.

Family Style Restaurant: A place to take the whole family.
Requirements
  • at least 6 four or more seater tables
  • restaurant stove
  • male and female restrooms, one each
  • at least 4 windows
  • at least 3 wall deco
  • restaurant podium
Theme: Country. Can be "modern" country or classic.

Upscale Restaurant: For when you want to spend absurd amounts of money on tiny plates of food
Requirements
  • at least 8 dining tables, any amount of seating you choose
  • restaurant stove
  • at least 6 windows
  • at least 8 deco (any)
  • restaurant podium
Theme: Hollywood.

Toy Store: For the kid in all of us
Requirements
  • at least 8 types of toys (recolors of the same mesh do NOT count)
  • at least 1 cash register
  • at least 3 windows
  • at least 2 different interior floor coverings
  • at least 4 deco (any)
  • at least 1 restroom, may be a "family" restroom
Theme: Kiddy. Of course

Clothing Store: Because we don't want any naked sims
Requirements
  • at least 3 female clothing racks
  • at least 3 male clothing racks
  • at least 3 windows
  • at least 2 dressing rooms
  • at least 6 deco (any)
Theme: Modern

Furniture Store: No one wants an empty house
Requirements
  • at least 1 couch
  • at least 2 living chairs
  • at least 1 dining set
  • at least 1 bed
  • at least 4 windows
Theme: Retro. 1950s-1980s.

Cafe: A place for coffee and maybe some impromptu poetry
Requirements
  • coffee counter
  • at least 4 dining tables, any seating
  • at least 4 windows
  • at least 6 deco (any)
  • some form of music, can be a stereo or instruments for live music.
Theme: Paris.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Round 1.zip (360.1 KB, 98 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Round 2 fix.zip (362.8 KB, 43 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Round 3.zip (364.8 KB, 40 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Round 4_1.zip (488.1 KB, 37 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 8:03 PM
Contest Approved
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 8:06 PM
Ok, folks. I'm checking in! Let's get this thing started
Field Researcher
#4 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 8:42 PM Last edited by Liv : 20th Jun 2013 at 8:56 PM.
What a great idea of a contest, Jones! Thanks!
I'll be happy to be one of the contestants I'm soooooo excited! :D
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 8:47 PM
Thanks, Liv! Can't wait to see your entry. We missed you in Veronaville
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#6 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 9:14 PM
Ooh, Jones, I am so tempted Nearly won the last one! Thinking.............................
Thought, am downloading now!
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 9:20 PM
Come on, karen...you know you want too...lol. You could always try your hand at judging this time, for something different. Though I will tell you it's quite a job.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#8 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 9:27 PM
Jones, I'd love to have a go at judging, but I love decorating too

OK, I've capitulated It really didn't take long Lot is in my folder
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 9:44 PM
Can't wait to see it, karen. I've already finished mine for this round, but I'll wait till the round is over to share mine
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 10:12 PM
Entering this one! Haha can't resist a building contest. I thought about applying as a judge until I saw the range of shops. I just finished a building project for upload so this is perfect timing.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#11 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 10:17 PM
I feel like I'm probably going to regret this, but I'd like to be a judge. I'm still a little too burnt out from being a contestant in Veronaville to join in on this one properly, but maybe judging won't be as bad. Though, I know from judging my own Scrapbooking Contest, it's not always that much less work. Well, maybe judging without hosting is easier. I'm like you jones, not participating in SOMETHING is hard to handle!

Here's a set of small shops I did 5 years ago (wow time flies!), so I can say with confidence, I'm likely much better at it now. It's reincarnation two years later is part of my West Weasels hood.
I seem to be addicted to the tiny shops, because another version of them are going up in my WIP college hood. I've done larger more heavily decorated buildings as well, but those seemed to be the most relevant.

Will you have me jones? Or are you getting sick of me? :P
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 10:52 PM Last edited by jones7659 : 20th Jun 2013 at 11:14 PM.
Of course I'll have you, Phae And glad to have you too, jo! I feel I'm getting quite a name as a contest host, lol. That's ok by me :D

I'm hoping the judging for this will be a smidge easier than for the 'hood makeovers. It's simpler scoring, no sub sections and such. I'll probably regret judging, too, lol. But I really missed it in Veronaville and found myself judging the entries in my head anyway

To be fair...
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#13 Old 20th Jun 2013 at 11:15 PM
I want a ribbon Glad you're on board, Phae
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 2:32 AM
So 4 rounds and 6 possible buildings means we decide which 4 we want to do and the other 2 get left?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 2:42 AM
Yes, jo. I'm figuring between all the contestants, each one will probably be used at some point But yes, each of you will only use 4 of them. I figured giving 6 options would add even more variety to the entries
Field Researcher
#16 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 11:22 AM
I am so excited to see a new contest so quickly - I'm on my summer break so I don't have those darned exams that stopped me entering the Round 4 of your Veronaville contest! :D

I would just like to double check that there are no budgets for any of the businesses, yes?

Like this post? You'll love my Tumblr! 😉
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 4:49 PM
Right, w_sims. No budgets in this one.
Test Subject
#18 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 5:37 PM
This Contest has really got me thinking.... I'm in 100%
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 5:42 PM
Glad to see so many interested people within the first day! Now I just can't wait to see all your entries!
Test Subject
#20 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 7:35 PM
question can we add a 2nd floor to the lot
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 8:09 PM
No. I had thought about it. And perhaps a lot in another round will have two, haven't decided yet. But if the lot I give you is one story, it has to stay one story.
retired moderator
#22 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 8:37 PM
Hey jones, if you have time, can you post pictures of the round 1 lot? I'd like to see what everyone is starting from.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#23 Old 21st Jun 2013 at 8:39 PM Last edited by jones7659 : 24th Jun 2013 at 1:41 AM.
Yeah, I had planned on it Phae, just forgot. I'll snap one a little later, because we need one to make sure no exterior walls are changed.

Ok, added one in a spoiler under the timeline section of the first post. I just added the floor plan one, because other than the walls there's nothing to see, lol. All lots will be 2x2s. <Strike that, 3x3s. <Strike that, 3x2s...my bad. 3x2...final answer The lots are all 3x2.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 11:23 AM
I haven't entered a contest before, but I'd love to join if that's okay.

You lied to me…There is a Swansea!
retired moderator
#25 Old 22nd Jun 2013 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jones7659
Yeah, I had planned on it Phae, just forgot. I'll snap one a little later, because we need one to make sure no exterior walls are changed.

Ok, added one in a spoiler under the timeline section of the first post. I just added the floor plan one, because other than the walls there's nothing to see, lol. All lots will be 2x2s.
Jeez that's huge! Good luck to the entrants, I have no idea how I would go about making a store that big. Most of my houses aren't even that big! o.O Course, I've never made a Walmart before...

Page 1 of 50