Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 15th May 2013 at 12:45 PM
@leesester - ahhh, there it goes, thank you! (and i was referring to the bootstrap.mts.info site that Delphy linked somewhere above.)

Which, now that it is reverted and I can actually compare the two, I get why it got a lot of complaints: for all that the sidebar/ad panel took up vertical space in the original layout, it's much easier to see all the important information for each download (thumb, title, category, EPs, creator, comments) in a straight horizontal line, which is the way people read. It's just more straightforward, and having it lined up in a table means no hunting for information. Also, for small screen purposes: with the original layout I can see 6.5 downloads listed vs. four in the new layout.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 15th May 2013 at 12:48 PM
I managed to catch a glimpse of the site last night before bed on my Nintendo 3DS. While I know it is not a priority for the site to be viewed on a 3DS, I will point out that it was not possible to log in as clicking on the button only refreshed the page. I believe the Nintendo 3DS uses Opera as it's browser.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 15th May 2013 at 12:53 PM Last edited by ChiK_HeinekeN : 15th May 2013 at 1:03 PM. Reason: add something
Quote: Originally posted by katalina522
Eep -- this keeps happening when I go to the downloaded page (only on the original site; not in the bootstrap version):

It's also happening in bootstrap mode (I have slate on). Also bootstrap mode doesn't work any longer in your profile view...Mine is just white! and I tried to edit my profile and it keeps telling me this Basic filename size and name validation failed Also when you go to one of your creations on the top where the screenshots are to supposed to be display it only says screenshots and the amount of pics you have for it. Also the my download page items isn't working properly, I tried to change the amount of download to be display and keeps rearranging them. And when you point one of the buttons in any download (ex thanks) it appears a very bright/shiny white box but you can't read anything. Hope this will help and thank you Delphy for all your hard work

EDIT: I just realized that my profile page being just white it's not only me, it's the profile of the creators ( if this makes sense ) I like the new way in your creators profile view!!!

Live your life to d fullest! B happy!!
Test Subject
#29 Old 15th May 2013 at 12:59 PM
I'm glad to see the old one back It was a big shock to see it changed.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old 15th May 2013 at 1:13 PM
Katalina522 I had a similar problem today and it spread from MTS, to pandora and Youtube and Photobucket, a restart did nothing so I Googled Firefox muck ups and found a page explaining I may need to clear my caches. I'm sure all browsers would have something similar under advanced options/network. Worked like a charm.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#31 Old 15th May 2013 at 1:26 PM Last edited by Legislacerator : 15th May 2013 at 2:42 PM.
Thank you for making it possible to switch back to the old theme. Seriously. I know it won't be permanent, but it's nice to have the option for now. I admit I was actually getting used to the new code, probably because I was using the Flatstrap theme so everything was well...squared and pointy. The curved corners on everything were throwing me off (a weird aesthetic preference, but there you go.).

I don't think that suddenly flipping the switch on the new style was really the way to go, since a lot of people (myself included) had the immediate lurching gut reaction of "OH GOD WHAT IS THIS NEW THING GET IT AWAY". From what I read in the old thread, there was an option to switch to Bootstrap for a while before it was implemented, but it was tucked away at the bottom of the frontpage, and never announced. Now, I personally hate change, and can't stand it when sites suddenly overhaul their layouts, but I (and I'm sure many other people) adapted much better when there was a period where I could switch to a beta of the new layout for a month or two before it went live for everyone. I think making a news announcement, and sticking a big "Beta Test the New Layout" button at the top of the front page, would have probably been the way to go. That way everyone would have gotten the heads up, and have had time to adjust.

ETA: Also, as someone else mentioned, and as I believe I mentioned on the other thread - is there any way on the Bootstrap layout to have all the boxes on the Downloads section the same size/height? I imagine it would involve forcing thumbnails to all scale to the same or similar dimensions? I commented earlier about how having all the different sized boxes looks messy and disorganized, and I still stand by that. (It also loaded funny for me, with boxes overlapping each other before the page had fully loaded) I get if you're trying to go for a Pinterest-style look but...well, I personally hate how Pinterest lays out their page, but I also think it works for what they do, which is more or less images-only. Doesn't work quite as well for dispersing a good amount of information, like a thumbnail, description, username, date, etc.

my tumblr - sim pics and downloads
my dreamwidth - ts2 downloads
linkdecrypter - bypass adfly and other harmful pay per click download link hiders
Test Subject
#32 Old 15th May 2013 at 1:31 PM
When the change first happened, search was working for me, now it is not bringing up images and it's written over itself. Though I tried the search over on Bootstraps and that does work.
Forum Resident
#33 Old 15th May 2013 at 1:34 PM
for now i have converted back to tgh hello kitty theme as a type one diabetic even with a 23 inch monitor i found the other theme too hard to read

i take my sims photos using fraps!!!!
Test Subject
#34 Old 15th May 2013 at 1:43 PM
With having the other site paired up with the old, it'll be easy to do the End-user testing. Usability is a huge issue. It's the difference between winning or losing customers. However, this is a creative repository that requires the uses of adverts. But, the same rules apply.

Obviousness, usefulness, easy to quickly scan... etc.

While the masonry is cool and nifty looking, it's hard to easily scan. Multiple-sized thumbnails don't necessarily mean you NEED to use the masonry effect, you can still tile horizontally fine with different dimensions. Set max height and widths that your thumbnail generator will create.

First things first, I believe layout and function are more important than "How cool this looks". Worry about design elements AFTER you have a working framework. Concentrate on what people are familiar with.

Your user base are mostly native English readers, thus follow the LtR, TtB. (Left to Right, Top to Bottom) rule. Your "hotspots" for people scanning things will ALWAYS be the top left corner. then the top right, followed by bottom left. The bottom right is RARELY ever looked at, so don't stick important information there, like the search bar.

Speaking of search bars, that should be near the top as it's the 2nd thing people look for on a website if they cannot find / use the navigation bar easily. There's a reason most shops have them close to the top.

Work with a base font size of 16px. This is the default font size browsers are using without being tweaked. Bigger monitors don't necessarily mean you can use smaller fonts. I have a 1920x1280 monitor, and I sit comfortably 1.5ft away from the monitor. It's hard to read 14px font. If you want, and people WILL complain, use jQuery text/font size changing implementation. That way people can choose a font style that suits their own reading preferences.

You're wanting to work with Fluidity and cross-browser implementation? The font size won't matter if you structure the rest of the site properly. HTML5 and CSS3 are defactor standards now, yes, but that doesn't mean anything if what you have is just a pile of neat looking gadgets.

Good luck!
Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 15th May 2013 at 1:50 PM
Thank you for letting us temporarily go back to the old theme. I admit I was getting used to the new one, though. I'll switch back to it once a larger variety of themes comes in.

Speaking of which, I generated some CSS color schemes. Where do I go about sharing them?

Simblr.
Asks are always open, even to anons. I will always reply to asks, and I do my best to be cordial/less snarky than usual.
Scholar
#36 Old 15th May 2013 at 1:51 PM
Playing with the new themes took up way more of my time than is sane But I'm liking the new layout! I must have missed the announcement yesterday, so it was nice to see something new when I checked in!

Visit MissyHissy's Job Centre and MissyHissy's Job Centre Forum for additional career help.
Visit MissyHissy's Irish Dance Studio
The Daily Plumbob, a Sims 4 Gameplay blog
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#37 Old 15th May 2013 at 2:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fivey
Thank you for letting us temporarily go back to the old theme. I admit I was getting used to the new one, though. I'll switch back to it once a larger variety of themes comes in.

Speaking of which, I generated some CSS color schemes. Where do I go about sharing them?

Terrific! I'm not fussy so long as there is something called 'no migraine generating' I'll be happy.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#38 Old 15th May 2013 at 2:17 PM
It's good to know User Tools will go to the right again at some point, thank you!

Check out Omicron-Simtauri, my new space project!

Newest creation on my Livejournal: Fish with party hats: Garland and default
Looking for an Underground Station? thread on GoS
Grungy cars! thread on GoS latest: VW Type 2 Two-Tones
Scholar
#39 Old 15th May 2013 at 2:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by leesester
@vkatalina522 - you need to select one of the old themes - we can only have one codebase running at anytime. No bootstrap on www, are selectable in the menu but a tad screwy.

I miss the new download layout.. It was pretty cool...
I hope that will come back and I wish we could select any view like, ( List, Contents or Details)

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Test Subject
#40 Old 15th May 2013 at 2:23 PM
I'm not totally sure how i feel about the newer layout. It's very clean and nice-looking, but something about it feels like it should be on someone's personal blog instead of a download & forum site. It doesn't fit too much in my mind, but that's my personal opinion. I don't like changes very much. My favorite thing about this site has always been the layout and how things appeared in the downloads section. It was easy to read & look at & decide what I'm clicking on. With the new one, I feel as though the thumbnails are so big that I have a harder time looking at a lot of things at once and it takes a bit of time. Maybe you can make an option to toggle between bigger and smaller thumbnails in the downloads section to suit that better?

I'm 19 and I think I'm funny sometimes. I idolize Alaksa 5000. Avid RuPaul fan.
Scholar
#41 Old 15th May 2013 at 2:26 PM Last edited by Night Racer : 15th May 2013 at 2:40 PM.
aw man. I got so sad when I logged on and saw the old style was back. Bleh.
Thankfully there is a separate link for the new theme hehehe.
Feedback: The new navigation dropdown is great, but a bit jarring and in your face. Is there a way to maybe add a slight gradient to the box, or something, so it isnt as...dosnt look as if its lacking something? or maybe add slight lines or boxes to help separate say download sections | download categories | search | other? OR at least add an animation to it, so it slides out and not -BOOM-
EDIT: also, im not too crazy about the new forum posts layout. The actual posts are way to far to the right, with too much empty wasted space on the left
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i...zps4472b818.jpg
All that space taken up by the post date seems silly. The actual post should start there.
EDIT 2: wait, its ok now. Wtf. Either it was glitched, or you work super fast Delphy
Field Researcher
#42 Old 15th May 2013 at 2:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by katalina522
Eep -- this keeps happening when I go to the downloaded page (only on the original site; not in the bootstrap version):

Yup... that's the "we can't have bootstrap AND the old codebase at the same time" issue Delphy was talking about. You'll have to go old school to get to the downloads properly.
Test Subject
#43 Old 15th May 2013 at 2:43 PM
Maybe make the site color adjustable? A little personal customization to it. White isn't so bad during the day unless I'm outside but at night I was literally blinded and had to get up and turn on the lights. And it wasn't really even dark here yet. I contemplated grabbing my sunglasses.
Instructor
#44 Old 15th May 2013 at 2:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hellshock70
Maybe make the site color adjustable? A little personal customization to it. White isn't so bad during the day unless I'm outside but at night I was literally blinded and had to get up and turn on the lights. And it wasn't really even dark here yet. I contemplated grabbing my sunglasses.

That's a problem in general, though, due to the rise of glossy screens & to computers using lots of blue hues that resemble daylight. You can get third-party apps to make your screen more night-viewing-friendly. (I personally use f.lux)
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#45 Old 15th May 2013 at 2:54 PM Last edited by jones7659 : 15th May 2013 at 5:11 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
I've been testing it a lot with mobile devices. It's not perfect but it's a lot better than the old view. What, specifically, don't you feel is great?

I for one really like it on mobile pretty much the way it is, except one thing. I wish there was a direct link from the home page to the inbox. It's not a huge deal, but it would be nice if there was something like the envelope. But it's already a vast improvement over the old way on mobile.
Instructor
#46 Old 15th May 2013 at 2:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
...I'm going to be providing an alternative site at https://www.modthesims.info/?styleid=40 - this will be constantly updated with the latest bleeding edge code the same as we have on the staff only server.

So just to be clear (sorry, I'm not that internet savvy and don't understand 'bleeding edge code' and such) this alternative site will be exactly the same as the original MTS site with the same downloads and forums and everything? Meaning, if I bookmark the new site (instead of this one) and post there, it will be like I'm posting on this site?

First world problems but I spent quite some time last night adjusting to the new site, so I don't want to revert back to the old format, just to have adjust AGAIN at a later date. I'd rather just do it all now.

I think the main issue for me (and some others) is that I had *no idea* there was going to be a change. I missed any and every announcement that was posted. Like others have said, if you make a bigger announcement and let people play around and adjust slowly, then there would be lot less bitching and whining.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#47 Old 15th May 2013 at 3:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ttowntallyho
So just to be clear (sorry, I'm not that internet savvy and don't understand 'bleeding edge code' and such) this alternative site will be exactly the same as the original MTS site with the same downloads and forums and everything? Meaning, if I bookmark the new site (instead of this one) and post there, it will be like I'm posting on this site?
I can't answer your question, but I can explain that "bleeding edge code" is a slang descriptive phrase, like "brand spanking new". It simply means that new innovations will be considered in the future.
Field Researcher
#48 Old 15th May 2013 at 3:22 PM Last edited by Zirconia Wolf : 15th May 2013 at 3:24 PM. Reason: Screwed up Leesester's name because I am an idiot!
* Looks around carefully to see if it's safe yet. *

* Determines it might be. *

Well, it seems as though the extremest from both the "Hate Everything New Instantly & Forever" (con-side) and the "OMG! Everything Must Be Made To Look Like Facebook/W8/NewestShinyWebCrap & Has To Work On A Friggen Phone" (pro-side) have finally disappeared - for a little while, at least - so I thought I would post a quick post before everything gets all messed up again & I can't find my way around.

While I personally wasn't/am not real crazy about being forced into "OMG! Sims 3-like Layout" mode I figure it is hardly my place to get all pissy about it 'cause I'm not the one who runs this place on my own free time & as a hobby (something the uber "con" folks should remember) so I will make my peace with the impending *improved* look & move on with my life because there are many other things I have determined to be far more important to me to worry about than a change in a website about a game I adore (Sims 2) that isn't even the primary focus of the website anymore. Life is too dang short for such craziness!

Anyway, personal feelings aside I really wanted to say to both Delphy & Leesester that I thought you guys did an amazing job handling the ridiculous amount of *hot potato* posts yesterday, especially given how many of them seemed more like personal attacks against you rather than constructive feedback about what elements were/were not working from the poster's point of view. You handled that amazingly well (I think I would have lost my patience quite early on) & I wanted to take a moment to say that no matter what I may personally think about the coming *overhaul* you two are very awesome people & doing a terrific job handling what must be a seriously monumental task! (Especially Delphy who must be incredibly sick of staring at HTML code by now! I do not envy you!)

Well I said what I wanted to say, so I shall disappear back into the "Misty Mists of Lurking Mode" & leave you intrepid souls to your respective duties.

Good luck & I hope the new *re-launch* goes much more smoothly!

(P.S. I should say that the "you are awesome" feelings go for all the awesome staff on this site - because you are all awesome - but I thought that a special "shout out" was in order for Delpy & Leesester given what they had to deal with yesterday.)

**** Leader of the MoonBats! ****
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 15th May 2013 at 3:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jaguwar
Yup... that's the "we can't have bootstrap AND the old codebase at the same time" issue Delphy was talking about. You'll have to go old school to get to the downloads properly.

I have a question (probably a dumb one but...) What's the point of having the option of choosing the old style and bootstrap if it can't run at the same time? If you choose bootstrap ( either you like it or are adjusting for the future change) but when you go to the download page you have to switch to the old style to see the page properly then, in my opinion, it's a waste of time.

Live your life to d fullest! B happy!!
Test Subject
#50 Old 15th May 2013 at 3:24 PM
I'm looking at old versus new side by side and I have noticed a few things, some of which have been mentioned before.

The good:
Some people have said they have to scroll more to get to the regular downloads. The new ad box is small, and the featured downloads take up less space all together. In addition, the category selection box looks smoother and takes less vertical space in the new format. There is less scrolling in the new format.

The not so good:
The search bar really does need to be at the top, as mentioned. And it wouldn't hurt to have one at the top and the bottom.
With the old format, I can see 8 downloads on the screen at once with all information visible, and despite some thumbnails being taller. Whichever is tallest dictates the height of its partner creating an eye-pleasing horizontal alignment. With the new format I can see part of, but not all of 6 entries with the text being cut off of one since the large graphic in the one above it is pushing it off of the page.

The new format almost looks nice except for that horizontal alignment issue, but is slightly less efficient. I personaly take function over form but I can't speak for everyone.
Page 2 of 7