Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 1:49 AM
Oh, by the way, are we allowed to place a car in the driveway (if we make a driveway)?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 2:28 AM
Yes, if you have enough money left to do so! lol

Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#28 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 3:14 AM Last edited by jones7659 : 14th Mar 2013 at 4:13 AM.
Yeah,like Croutonian said, it's allowed, if you can afford it.

And we have 2 judges! Welcome, porky! Still need one more, and hopefully an EJ. And of course, at least 10 contestants
Field Researcher
#29 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 4:36 AM
I'm sure it'll make the 10 easily!

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#30 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 5:05 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 14th Mar 2013 at 11:19 AM.
I'm still doing mine. Got the inside done now for some garden. If we wern't taking some time off I’d never get done this fast.

One way to 'afford' a car is use a deco car. I used a $1 car statue on the last house in the Pleasantview contest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And I'm finished.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#31 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 1:10 PM
Our first contestant! Welcome back, jo!

Couple of things I'm about to add to the first post.
  • Half-walls are allowed, since it's kind of like a more solid fence.
  • Fireplaces may NOT be moved or removed. They can be swapped. You may add one if you want to, but only one of the lots doesn't have at least one to begin with.
Field Researcher
#32 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 1:12 PM
Hi, I'd love to have a shot at judging so here's four of my pics that you might like

I've included two different houses (they show a great difference in flexibility of my decoration plus one has no custom content whilst the other is loaded with cc)

If I don't get to judge that's not a problem. I'll have a go at joining the contest if I have enough time.

Screenshots

◄ TDS - TheDeadSim - Cam ►
Test Subject
#33 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 1:20 PM
Can I still participate if I have only the base game? I really want to do this contest
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#34 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 1:22 PM Last edited by jones7659 : 14th Mar 2013 at 1:42 PM.
3 Judges! Welcome aboard, DeadSim!

To all the contestants returning from the Pleasantville cycle, we have 3 new judges this time around, which makes it better, because now you wont have the unfair advantage of knowing what the judges like You'll have to learn what they like along with the new contestants.

I will post a mini feedback post for the application rounds- just a tiny bit of feedback, no scores. To give you a feel for the judges.

I'd still like to have an EJ, but I will do it if I have to, so all we need are 9 more contestants. (Which I think we'll manage, lol)

Horrorsimmer12, yes, you can. That is exactly why I chose to only use BG 'hoods. No EPs required.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#35 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 2:15 PM
Well I'm glad I didn't take away the fire place, because I did then thought better of it and put it back. Had a feeling that would come under structural.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#36 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 2:21 PM
It would have been ok for now, jo, since it's just the application. Yeah I had totally forgot about it, till I was redoing one of the lots last night. Forgot about the half-walls too till I saw your entry. No matter how prepared I think I am and how polished I think the contest is, there's always something At least I took care of that pretty quickly. Now we're good....till something else pops up, lol.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 2:53 PM
Hey Jones, could you make a clarification for me here with regards to the families. For example we have four families, does it imply that the application round is connected to the The Williams Family
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#38 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 3:00 PM
For the application round, obino, you do NOT choose one of the families. Just keep it at or under 60,000. The families are for the main 4 rounds. You'll chose one for each lot, which family you put with each lot is up to you.
Test Subject
#39 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 4:01 PM
I might like to join this contest. It would be my first contest entry.

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
Field Researcher
#40 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 4:03 PM
I would love to participate! But im not sure why I cant download the 26 via veronaville house? It keeps telling me that there is custom content included that is not installed. Is it maybe a hack I have that is conflicting or something else? Anyone know a possible reason? Thanks!
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#41 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 4:17 PM Last edited by jones7659 : 14th Mar 2013 at 4:32 PM.
I'll check it out. Forgot to make sure there weren't any piggybackers. That may have been porky's problem too.

*EDIT* I can't find any reason it shouldn't work. There's no piggybackers, it's a BG lot. I'll keep investigating the problem, but I can't find any reason it shouldn't work
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#42 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 4:38 PM
jones, just because it's a base game lot from a base game hood doesn't mean that the house itself is base game anymore. Lots require all of the EPs that your game currently has, so the only way to provide base game lots is to use AnyGame Starter to make a new base only game and pull them from there. That's what it sounds like is the problem anyways.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#43 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 4:55 PM
Duh Silly me. I'll get to it shortly. I have AGS and actually the file I zipped is from any AGS game, it's just not BG only. I'll have a new download up for you fairly soon, tcbandie10.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 5:17 PM
Just a tip for everyone: I suggest not moving a family in with the set budget. This is because sometimes when you sell certain items, you won't get the full price value back from it. This could possibly affect your final budget. (I think this usually happens if you test the lot then when you sell things that are no longer worth their full value). If you're running base game and worried about blowing your budget, your best bet is to just return to the neighbourhood to check lot value again and again as you approach the max spend limit.

Also on another note, I don't think CFE (constrainfloorelevation) has been brought to anyone's attention. As a judge or even a contestant I'd be curious whether it's possible to lift the foundation of a lot from standard 4 clicks to 6 or 8. This wasn't mentioned in structural integrity and thought it'd probably be good to clear this one up.

Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#45 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 5:37 PM
No, adjusting the foundation height with CFE wouldn't be allowed. That would be a pretty major renovation IRL. We try to avoid those, lol. Also would cost a lot IRL, and nothing in game
Field Researcher
#46 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 5:48 PM
I was pretty sure that was the case. Just thought I might point it out
I'm looking forward to seeing some great entries.

Lab Assistant
#47 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 7:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheDeadSim
Just a tip for everyone: I suggest not moving a family in with the set budget. This is because sometimes when you sell certain items, you won't get the full price value back from it. This could possibly affect your final budget. (I think this usually happens if you test the lot then when you sell things that are no longer worth their full value). If you're running base game and worried about blowing your budget, your best bet is to just return to the neighbourhood to check lot value again and again as you approach the max spend limit.

Hi Deadsim,

People will have to have at least one sim on the lot to do the screenshots without lines.

There are a couple of ways to get around loss of value issue when testing:
1: Export a copy to the lot library, then I move in a sim to take the pictures
or 2: Exit without saving after you've taken the pictures.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#48 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 8:06 PM
It will have to be tomorrow before I upload a BG only lot. I can't find my disc... Gonna order a new one.
Field Researcher
#49 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by N8iveSims
Hi Deadsim,

People will have to have at least one sim on the lot to do the screenshots without lines.

There are a couple of ways to get around loss of value issue when testing:
1: Export a copy to the lot library, then I move in a sim to take the pictures
or 2: Exit without saving after you've taken the pictures.

Are you referring to the grid lines that show in both build and buy modes? If so, these can be hidden by temporarily enabling the recolour tool or press the options button on your User Interface bar or press F5 on your keyboard. These two different options should allow you to view your lot without grid lines.
You can then press tab to enter live camera mode to take your required screenshots.
However, if you wish to take your screenshots with your sims on the lot, this will be done after worrying about the budget so it wouldn't be an issue anyway.

Lab Assistant
#50 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 8:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheDeadSim
Are you referring to the grid lines that show in both build and buy modes? If so, these can be hidden by temporarily enabling the recolour tool or press the options button on your User Interface bar or press F5 on your keyboard. These two different options should allow you to view your lot without grid lines.
You can then press tab to enter live camera mode to take your required screenshots.
However, if you wish to take your screenshots with your sims on the lot, this will be done after worrying about the budget so it wouldn't be an issue anyway.

Thanks, I did not know about those shortcuts.

Page 2 of 33