Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#51 Old 26th Feb 2013 at 10:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Well, Anaticula, I've been posting a few Widespot pictures mixed in with my regular Drama Acres ones over in the Pictures forum, like this morning in Family Photos and Snapshots. You could poke around there a bit.

Thanks Peni, I'm so used to checking only the Sims 2 discussion boards I completely forgot there are photo threads in the other sections.
Advertisement
#52 Old 26th Feb 2013 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
If I remember correctly, the creator of Seagull Island seems to have started with Pleasantview and then added the Pleasantview playable characters again, then tried to correct that mistake without actually deleting the sims safely. I'm sure that s/he didn't follow my guide, since it wasn't written yet. I wrote that guide after researching the existing neighborhood downloads, to try to help people avoid making the same mistakes that were made with those early hoods:
http://www.modthesims.info/journal....howentry&e=5285

Seagull Island really has a neighborhood terrain template that looks like Driftwood or Isla Segunda. I am certain that the neighborhood does not use Pleasantview.sc4. It is also a main neighborhood that looks as if it's created in the base game.

Addition of pre-made sims to a neighborhood, and spawning of sims, has nothing at all to do with the AGS, except that the AGS is a tool which has an "empty" mode which allows you to create junk-free neighborhoods.

I think I was referring to the "empty mode". In a sense, the "empty mode" suppresses main neighborhood townie/NPC creation or appearance.

Quote:
If someone has a copy of Widespot which contains the pre-made townies from Pleasantview (without going to a lot of work to add them manually), then I'd really like to see that neighborhood.

That would imply that Widespot does not come with Pleasantview townies. So, that means that if I were to download Widespot, then I would not receive Pleasantview townies.

This is what Peni Griffin said that confused me:

Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Aegagropilon has the Pleasantview townies, too. I took the folder out of AnyGameStarter and dropped it into the full game to test it several times before I started playing for real, and always got the familiar townies. It should generate townies and NPCs according to however you have things set up for the game you play it in. The point was to keep character data to a minimum - both to maximize customization at the player end, and to minimize the possibility of screwing up at my end. The simpler I made it, the less likely I was to make a major mistake.

I interpreted it as saying that Widespot would be installed and then familiar Pleasantview townies would show up, even though there were no Pleasantview townies to begin with in the characters folder of the Neighborhoods folder.
Site Helper
#53 Old 27th Feb 2013 at 12:11 AM
CrèmedelaCrème, perhaps we need to take this discussion to another thread. It's definitely off-topic for this one, especially the questions about how a completely different neighborhood was created by some other creator, and (if I read correctly) Peni seems to prefer that we stick to the topic.
#54 Old 27th Feb 2013 at 12:49 AM
Finally finished my first rotation!
Right now, I'm still trying to figure the people out and who they are better. At least I've got the names down :P

I love Penny Weiss. She's pretty in an alien way. It was so funny, she loves to dance (its her special hobby) and when she got her first baby bump she ran down the stairs (she just woke up, pregnant women have weird schedules) and started dancing to Woody's guitar playing. Even after he stopped playing for a while she continued dancing. I had to force her to to stop because she was low in the hunger, hygene, and bladder. I guess shes so excited about her baby!

EDIT: I'm at the Beeches right now. I was confused about someone saying that Sandy was pregnant. Not in my game! So I bought the Sim blender and clicked Pregnancy. Sandy was an option. So she is pregnant, and yet doesn't have any bumps or morning sickness in my game. So I made sure not to click the info thing (because I don't want to know if shes having twins or who the father is) and instead clicked Accelerate. She spun around, changed into maternity, and appeared to be in her third trimester. So I clicked Deccelerate so now it's back to normal, she appears to be pregnant, and all is well. (So I hope?)
#55 Old 27th Feb 2013 at 12:56 AM
CrèmedelaCrème, perhaps we need to take this discussion to another thread. It's definitely off-topic for this one, especially the questions about how a completely different neighborhood was created by some other creator, and (if I read correctly) Peni seems to prefer that we stick to the topic.

Yeah. I agree. I initially began posting, asking whether or not there would be townies/NPCs in the neighborhood. Peni Griffin responded that Pleasantview townies might turn up, depending on the player's preferences. I poked a little further, because I was confused on what she meant by that. I later found out, thanks to your explanation, that there were no Pleasantview townies in the neighborhood characters folder, and that supported my hypothesis all along, because I did say that Pleasantview townies could not just regenerate after neighborhood creation. In order to play with Pleasantview townies, one might have to make the neighborhood into a sub-neighborhood and attach it to Pleasantview. Another way is to just play Pleasantview.
Mad Poster
#56 Old 27th Feb 2013 at 1:06 AM
Wow, Becky, your Sandy had no morning sickness? She had it so bad in development she clogged one of the upstairs toilets (because Hamilton and Daytona were downstairs and she wouldn't throw up on the same floor as them, apparently - kept running upstairs to upchuck and coming back down to eat); she threw up twice while I was fixing the front door problem; and then when I had her in my full game she threw up about five times before she popped! My impression was that she was sick as a dog for most of the playtesters, too.

It's nice that she got an easy pregnancy in one of her lives, anyhow!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
#57 Old 27th Feb 2013 at 1:21 AM
I am going to wait patiently until Widespot is uploaded for the public on MTS or some other site.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 27th Feb 2013 at 3:36 AM Last edited by Darby : 27th Feb 2013 at 4:18 AM.
My simblr now officially has two whole posts, both of pics from Widespot. Not much to speak of, but I'm finding Tumblr easy to work with, so will post more as I play.
#59 Old 27th Feb 2013 at 3:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Darby
My simblr now officially has two whole posts, both of pics from Widespot. Not much to speak of, but I'm finding Tumblr easy to work with, so will post more as I play.

Darby, your link is not working. It looks as if it's a private blog.
Mad Poster
#60 Old 27th Feb 2013 at 4:04 AM Last edited by Darby : 27th Feb 2013 at 4:19 AM.
Dang... Thank you - I'll look in to it.

ETA: I think I fixed it, above. Someone let me know?
Field Researcher
#61 Old 27th Feb 2013 at 4:26 AM
I was able to see the pics when I clicked on the link, so you must have fixed it.
Mad Poster
#62 Old 27th Feb 2013 at 4:28 AM
Awesome - thank you!
#63 Old 27th Feb 2013 at 5:08 AM Last edited by CrèmedelaCrème : 27th Feb 2013 at 5:40 AM.
Actually, this Widespot neighborhood gives me an idea. I can make a Griffin-inspired neighborhood in my own game! A neighborhood with three special characteristics:

1. Unique, distinct faces (I have been experimenting with a lot of facial features in Bodyshop lately.)
2. Names that sound like puns (It takes me back to my younger days, when I often made a list of pun-names in my journal that I thought I would eventually use in a story. Back then, I was an amateur writer that focused mainly on creative writing, personal writing, and academic writing. Now, my creative and personal writing is waning, as I focus more on academic/professional/scientific writing. My favorite name to use was something like "Dewinter Mellon" or "Walter Mellon" or "Oprah Tune Nutty". They are really puns for "the winter melon", "watermelon", and "opportunity".)
3. Clean neighborhood (not even Pleasantview townies or NPCs)

Lab Assistant
#64 Old 27th Feb 2013 at 12:49 PM Last edited by A-chana : 27th Feb 2013 at 1:31 PM.
I still haven't finished my first run through the houses. I've played a week in the Beech and Mann houses and am currently working on Weiss, but so far everything's turning out to be a big mess, just as planned. Obviously this is full of spoilers:

I'll start posting pictures of the new kids once they hit their teen years.

I have Academie le Tour attached to the neighborhood, so in the next round I'm gonna start shipping teens off to college. I need to move in the bin families, too, as the Beech kids have been bringing the Newsons home from school. There's a pet store and a pet park already in town, but no one seems interested in getting cats or big dogs; Rich got an African Grey, Skye wanted a womrat, and Daytona has a little toy dog.

Maybe once I'm done with this run, I'll restart the town and make Widespot into the hub of a megahood and see what terrible things they can do to the other premades (Spoilers: There'll be a house with Valentine and Rhett Hart, Don Lothario, Daniel Pleasant, and possibly some more romance dudes. I'll be sure to map out the family trees when I'm done there.)
Scholar
#65 Old 28th Feb 2013 at 2:38 PM
Default I Aten't Dead
I'm really enjoying reading everyone's stories!

While I can't share my own game's Adventures in Widespot right now, I can share the Mann family cat Doomsday DeVice :D
http://aegagropilon.dreamwidth.org/4304.html
(And I have no idea why the post shows March 1st! It's February 28th here )

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
#66 Old 28th Feb 2013 at 2:42 PM
The paranoia with which A-chana triple-checked the elders makes me swell with pride. Also the idea of someone defining a certain type of neighborhood by me is almost embarrassingly flattering. (Psst...my own personal favorite pun name is Larry Penates. If you don't get why that's a pun, look here:
http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Iz-...nd-Penates.html)

On the topic of seeing what these people look like, I posted a few Widespot pictures to the thread for experimentation while I was trying to sort out which host to use when I got fed up of Photobucket's tiny pictures. So you can get a reasonably good look at the Weiss and Land families, along with shots of the General Store, here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...stpost&t=337371

Once I've been through the moderation process and made any changes they want and got an absolutely final version hosted, I'm going to see what happens if make a shopping district version. I understand that conversion to suburb may bork pregnancies, but if I could figure out a way to do it, it would be nice to be able to tack Widespot onto the edge of an existing neighborhood or make it part of a full megahood. Not that I need five more households in Drama Acres...Anyway, that's in the future if it happens at all.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Site Helper
#67 Old 28th Feb 2013 at 4:51 PM
Just be sure to test by attaching your shopping district to a full neighborhood. The idea is to force the game to change the Sim Description instance number of the father, then to check whether the pregnancy controller still contains the correct father ID. With any luck, this works for each EP configuration and there's no concern. I never did that testing, which is why I warned people about the potential for a problem.

If a problem occurs, one "solution" is to post the mother and father for each pregnancy, so that people can fix it themselves. Unfortunately, that would involve giving away information that you may not want to divulge.

Another possibility would be to make a mod which finds each mother and father by SimID, gets their Sim Description instance number, and then checks and / or modifies the pregnancy controllers. That may be beyond my in-game modding abilities, but perhaps someone else would be willing to help you with that one.
#68 Old 28th Feb 2013 at 9:25 PM Last edited by BeckyBoo8 : 28th Feb 2013 at 10:09 PM.
Please do not read unless you already know who is the father of Sandy's child:

I think my town may be corrupted?
First it was at the Beeches: I heard Darby or someone mention how Sandy was pregnant. But she wasn't in my game. The Sim blender said she was pregnant and yet she had the normal female body and no morning sickness or option for people to rub her belly. Which didn't make sense, because it said she was already 33 hours into her pregnancy. But I fixed it by clicking the thing that makes it the next trimester, and switched into maternity and appeared to be in her 3rd trimester.
Then it was the Harts: Penny Weiss walks by that house all the time! She comes onto the lot, walks into the home, (which isnt a problem anymore since I locked the doors) and if one of the Harts asked her leave, she does so, and then walks by the lot AGAIN and does the same thing. Also, Rosie Beech (a baby- the one from Sandy's weird pregnancy) keeps appearing at the end of the sidewalk. I use the SimBlender to remove all nonresidents from the lot and later around 6 P.M. she appeared at the sidewalk again.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#69 Old 1st Mar 2013 at 3:19 AM
Well, Penny has ten outgoing points, so she's always in everybody's house, hottubbing naked and shocking everyone. Besides, she's in love with Rhett, so you know she's gotta keep an eye on what that no-good womanizer's up to now, and she's best friends with Valentine. I think best friends/lovers are more likely to let themselves in, and I know ten outgoing sims do it.
I'd be concerned myself about the Rosie/Sandy thing, but not Penny.

I made clones of Jane Stacks and Heather Huffington (in my head they're cousins), aged them up to adults, and moved them into one of Phaenoh's Katrina Cottages. The girls went around community lots and Heather met ALL sorts of interesting males. Of course, Heather thinks all males are interesting. Skye, however, was noticeably absent, but the girls couldn't turn around without tripping over Woody, who was the first sim onto all three lots after them. So Jane befriended Woody, poor motherless little fellow, and had him come over and bring his dad to have some comfort soup when they got back home. Skye now has an entirely appropriate love interest, and the incident at Rocky's birthday party will be chalked up to Hamilton's drinks. Jane also befriended Penny--I made Jane Penny's age, so I think Skye and Jane will be all set. (Just think about what Jane's married name will be, clearly this is fate.) Heather, of course, had other things on her mind, and she can wait for Woody to grow up a bit. Besides, Valentine left her a little extra gift from their date: she'll be plenty busy without swooning over green teenagers in about three days time.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#70 Old 1st Mar 2013 at 5:04 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about Penny's invasive tendencies, but the thing with Rosie is a little scary. Don't jump to the conclusion that the problem's corruption, though. I don't claim the neighborhood's perfect, but it should be robust enough to play for more than a few days before breaking down on its own. Examine every other possibility first. Weird behavior can be caused by hacks, strange bits of code that sneaked in with custom content, all kinds of things.

If it is corruption, though, I hope it's the hood and not your game files!

If the behavior's random, it'll be hard to test for, but back up your neighborhood and if you can get a handle on something that happens in game to trigger it, work the FAQ and see if you can solve the problem. Also, do you have SimPE? Take a look at Rosie's files and see if you can spot anything weird in them. The worst corruption doesn't happen in a visible area (wouldn't be such a big problem if it did), but maybe you can turn up a clue.

Scholar
#71 Old 1st Mar 2013 at 9:46 AM
I know this sounds crazy, but I'm wondering if Rosie's sudden appearances are due to the anger rounds coding. Was she in the room when Hamilton caught Sandy with Rhett?

And Penny's always showing up everywhere in my Widespot game, too. She's harmless and easily distracted by pianos. Her little goblin daughters, however...

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
#72 Old 1st Mar 2013 at 5:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aegagropilon
I know this sounds crazy, but I'm wondering if Rosie's sudden appearances are due to the anger rounds coding. Was she in the room when Hamilton caught Sandy with Rhett?

And Penny's always showing up everywhere in my Widespot game, too. She's harmless and easily distracted by pianos. Her little goblin daughters, however...

Yes she was on the floor in their bedroom when Hamilton caught Sandy with Rhett. I think today I'll give the town a break. I'll just work on building my Springwater Station. Then maybe tomorrow or when I get a chance I'll try it again.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#73 Old 1st Mar 2013 at 9:04 PM Last edited by Sunbee : 2nd Mar 2013 at 7:09 PM.
One interesting thing about Widespot is the differences in playstyles it points up. My first reaction to all the kids' want panels was "What? Why do they want to talk to unrelated adults? I've never seen this before!" Of course, I expect to see from my sim kids things like do homework, get skill points, interact with relatives and child friends, get good grades, interact with pets, and maybe get a gardening/fishing badge. Because that's what I have them do all the time. It wouldn't have occurred to me to send Rocky Beach to talk to Candy Hart. But that was what he wanted to do right off.
I'd love to download half a dozen more neighborhoods like Widespot but from different simmers, just to see how people train their sims wants.
There's a link to get Widespot in the first post now, you guys. Also my Live Journal started working again, so there are pics there.
Edit: Mary had her babies last night--her twins by Valentine Hart. The twins' last name will be Land once they're big enough to easily change it with the bat box. Girl-boy: Grace and Gwynn Donald. Grace is Peni's suggestion, thanks!

Lab Assistant
#74 Old 2nd Mar 2013 at 8:08 PM
Just curious, where can I download Widespot? I checked the link in the first post, but I couldn't find anything.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#75 Old 2nd Mar 2013 at 8:17 PM
It's the green text that's a link to mediafire in Peni's blog post.

Page 3 of 32