Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 8:54 AM
A while ago, I found a tool on PhotoShop to make waves, like wavy hair, for example. If I made a strait texture, I used the tool to make it loosely waved.
I just discovered the tool accidently. Now for the life of me, I can't figure out where I got that tool from. Help?

The wonder is that we can see these trees and not wonder more.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 9:39 AM
Maybe you used Filters/Distort/Waves !
Test Subject
#53 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 11:43 AM
Filters/liquify perhaps?

Super hated, Super sarcastic, Super sedated, The Super Sadist.
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 5:59 PM Last edited by Salix : 31st Mar 2007 at 6:06 PM.
Yes! Filters/Liquify. That's what I used so long ago. I can't believe I didn't see that. Thanks Puffin.

Buttercup, that's a nice one too. Good for evenly spaced waves.

The wonder is that we can see these trees and not wonder more.
Test Subject
#55 Old 1st Apr 2007 at 4:46 AM
I think that feather is a very valuble tool. It makes it a lot easier to blend things.

If you have ever read Artemis Fowl, and you are able/ good at creating stuff, tell me. Because if HP can get it's own project, so can Artemis Fowl!
Artemis Fowl is the best. And he's mine. ^_^
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 4:20 PM
Hi

An even easier way to make eyes.

I've been doing it for some time now.

One Open Up Bodyshop.

Create Parts>>Create Genetics>>Eyes.

Click on a Maxis eye. Then click Upload DO NOT IMPORT YET.

When it is finished pull up Photoshop. Open up the folder and click on the first one.

When it opens up find a picture of an eye and paste it there doesn't matter the size.
I get mine from www.ask.com best eyes. It takes a while to find them. So when you get a decent one.
Do this:
Ctrl+U shrink it down to size then use the circle marquee to select only the eye and change the color at your wish. Then add whites and other colors to it then after that.
Ctrl+E (flattens image)
Ctrl+S (saves image)

When you jump on your way down why do you ask yourself why did you jump?
Sometimes the quote 'think before you leap' comes in handy at that point
If you happen to see me down there you'll know I wasn't following my advice
Then we all know what happens...SPLAT!
Test Subject
#57 Old 9th Jul 2007 at 5:04 AM
I haven't played the Sims for a while but the last time I played I remember I downloaded some clothes and I was able to edit them on photoshop. But now when I download clothes, the files are package files and they aren't compatible with photoshop. So what do I have to download to be able to edit them on photoshop?
Test Subject
#58 Old 16th Jul 2007 at 3:26 AM
hello
[/CENTER]
i need some help on the how to use the sims 2 body shop and what type of paint shop program i need to make hair and clothers and how would i find a good safe site to find cars to put on my sims 2 or just where to go to create a car of my own
Test Subject
#59 Old 16th Jul 2007 at 3:28 AM
help somebody how do i work the bodyshop how do i get started
Test Subject
#60 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 12:01 PM
But this is a photoshop help thread. Basic body shop questions would be in another thread, I think. The answer to your question is really long. Basically you need a paint program like The Gimp which is free (google it), and you need to read a basic Body Shop tutorial as there are a few steps involved to get it into your art program. Using the art program you paint what you want on it, save it, and then using Body Shop you export it to the Sims site.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#61 Old 22nd Jul 2007 at 2:33 AM
Last Rites and Prettysexy - go look for the beginning clothing tutorials in the tutorial area, and you'll be on your way.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#62 Old 25th Jul 2007 at 2:25 AM
Here's something I haven't seen mentioned yet, this is my absolute favorite way to work with alpha masks and recolors at the same time. As far as I know this is for Photoshop only because it uses a dynamic color layer.

Let's assume all you are doing is a very simple recolor -- adding highlights, for example. The hair mesh and "cut" will not change.

1) Open your alpha and color bitmaps in Photoshop. Bring the alpha window to the front.

2) Do Ctrl+A (Select all) and then Ctrl+C (copy) to grab the entire alpha mask.

3) Switch back to the color file, and go to your Channels palette. In the bottom right you should see an icon of a page. Click that and it will create a new channel.

4) Do Ctrl+V to paste and now you should see your alpha mask there. Click Ctrl+I to invert the colors.

5) Now hold in the control key and click on the thumbnail of your new channel. Or, go to Select>Load Selection... and select Alpha 1 as the transparency.

6) Almost there... Go up to the Layer Menu and select New Fill Layer > Color Layer. A color picker window will pop up and you should immediately see your mask, covering all the areas that will be transparent on the Sim. I like to choose a color that will contrast the hair color, but not overpower it... such as, royal blue on blond hair, dull green or pink for brown, etc.) This will show you EXACTLY what areas will be masked.

7) You may want to lock this layer, or grab your select tool and then up at the top UNcheck the box that says "Auto Select Layer.) This will prevent you from accidentally trying to edit the color fill layer.... but the good thing about color layers is that most of the time, if you try to edit one, you'll have selected the dynamic fill content and not its alpha channel, and will get a warning saying you can't do that.

8) select the background layer and edit away! When you get done, switch back to the color fill layer, and unlock it if necessary. Double click on the thumbnail of the fill color and you'll get a color picker again. Use the eyedropper to select a color that's used in the hair.

9) Optinally, you can save your Photoshop file into a working folder now, so that you can edit it later. Merge layers down to the background then overwrite the bmp file that will be used by the game.

Thats it! There are lots more things you can do with teh dynamic fill layers as you work--try changing the merge mode to "multiply" of just change the opacity for a semi-transparent overlay.

You can use the same principle to make a new alpha mask too. Simply paint on the alpha channel for the dynamic layer (NOT alpha 1, where you pasted the original image). Just don't forget to copy and paste the new data into the alpha BMP, and invert it!

PS. Using dynamic layer adjustment tools are a quick, easy way to make several recolors at once! Make a hue/saturation adjustment, save your bitmap, then just double click on the layer to change it up again.
Test Subject
#63 Old 8th Aug 2007 at 4:49 AM
HI everyone,
Cuz this is the first time i use photoshop, and i'm using photoshop cs 2, I cant find where is the filling tool? Can anyone tell me where it is???????
thanks
Test Subject
#64 Old 8th Aug 2007 at 8:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cassieroxgurl
HI everyone,
Cuz this is the first time i use photoshop, and i'm using photoshop cs 2, I cant find where is the filling tool? Can anyone tell me where it is???????
thanks

First, the fill tool is the "paint bucket tool" in the toolbar to your left. It may be hidden under a button that looks like a rectangle shading from white to black; this is the gradient tool. To set the button back to the paint bucket, just right-click on it and switch over.

Personally, I don't use the paint bucket tool. Keyboard shortcuts are just easier to use. When you first open photoshop, you'll see that you have two color swatches on the toolbar. The one in the front is the foreground color; the one in the back is the background color. you can switch these either by clicking on the little arrow, or just pressing x. You can change the color they're set to by clicking on the swatch itself, or you can click the tiny black and white boxes in the lower left to reset the colors to the black/white defaults.

To fill without using a tool, select the area that you want filled. Then press either CTRL+BACKSPACE (to fill with the background color) or ALT+BACKSPACE (to fill with the foreground color.) Sorry mac users, you're on your own here. ^_^

I know, too much info by far, but I think you'll find the keyboard shortcuts are far easier and less irritating to use. ^_^ just be glad I didn't get into masks and adjustment layers o.0
Field Researcher
#65 Old 3rd Nov 2007 at 12:46 PM
I LOVE the smart sharpen tool. It's really helpful for making clothes from photos. Sometimes if you're photo skinning you'll need to go over/cover up certain parts of the outfit. If you take a selection from another part (shirt to shirt/ jeans to jeans ect.) of the outfit and make it slightly bigger then the part you want to cover up, then copy paste, move it over the part you want to conceal, then use a round eraser brush with little to medium hardness and work around the edges of the pasted part. Viola! A nicely blended part.

I have a question, I'm working on recoloring my second hair mesh. I used the Maxis messy hair for the base. The problem is, in the alpha channels the hair has a curly thing going on. I've been trying to straighten it out, but the results aren't great. Are there any tips for making good alphas for hair?

lgfuad
Test Subject
#66 Old 10th Nov 2007 at 2:05 PM
thank you!
it's good job!
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 14th Nov 2007 at 11:16 PM
These tips are great, now i will share mine.
  • To easily change colors of an item, whether it be skin, eyes, clothing etc. Simply go to Image/Adjustments/Variations.
    You will be able to experiment with shadows, midtones, highlights and saturation. Even choose the intensity of change by adjusting the 'fine/coarse' scale.
  • Working with items, i would suggest working in high resolution, then reducing it back to normal image size. This way, it will contain better detailing that you have put in, you can be more specific with details and it's easier on eyes.
    Especially if you use source images, if you do use source images, make sure the image is a large image.
  • If i work with layers, i always save my work in PSD form (un-merged). This comes in handy for genetics.
  • If you have source images, the warp tool can be VERY handy with adjusting certain parts to fit properly.
    Find this at Edit/Transform/Warp

Sorry if i don't make sense lol
Instructor
#68 Old 15th Nov 2007 at 10:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by La_exotique
These tips are great, now i will share mine.
  • Working with items, i would suggest working in high resolution, then reducing it back to normal image size. This way, it will contain better detailing that you have put in, you can be more specific with details and it's easier on eyes.
    Especially if you use source images, if you do use source images, make sure the image is a large image.

Sorry if i don't make sense lol

you got me there. I've read that in more than one place but I have to admit I don't have an idea on what you're talking about. I assume you're not talking about the actual size (pixels) of the image.
Can you (or anyone else) please explain... for the dense and not native english speakers...please?
I really would like to learn that trick.

thanks!

When all Courage is necessary, all Hope is justified!

To know something about me read: this interview
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#69 Old 15th Nov 2007 at 11:28 AM
Alex - Build your graphics to start with at 2048x2048. When you're done, switch them to the normal 1024x1024. You'll be able to make the appearance of a lot more detail that way and it's often easier to work with.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#70 Old 15th Nov 2007 at 11:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by alexasrosa
you got me there. I've read that in more than one place but I have to admit I don't have an idea on what you're talking about. I assume you're not talking about the actual size (pixels) of the image.
Can you (or anyone else) please explain... for the dense and not native english speakers...please?
I really would like to learn that trick.

thanks!

Exactly what HystericalParoxysm said. Except, my way is, i open up the image, go to Image, choose Image Size, and change the resolution from 72 to 200. I usually choose between 150 and 300.

This will make your image much larger and a little pixelated, but you can easily blend and blur the pixelation. This size will help you better fixate on details.

when you are done, change the 200 back to 72 and double check the image size is the right correct size. Hope this made better sense :P
Instructor
#71 Old 16th Nov 2007 at 10:49 AM
Learn a new trick every day!

Thanks so much both of you !

Test Subject
#72 Old 18th Nov 2007 at 12:12 PM
lalsgff
Test Subject
#73 Old 19th Nov 2007 at 1:35 PM
I have looked over the tutorials and I thought that my question would be a simple one, but I guess not. Is it possible to take an existing hair texture (from one file) and superimpose it on another mesh? For example, I've got a great female hair texture, but I want it worn by a male. I have what I think is a pretty similar mesh and I want to combine the two. Am I nuts? Can it happen?
Instructor
#74 Old 20th Nov 2007 at 12:18 PM
Yes. You can copy the texture into the new one. But you probably have to make some twicks....

Lab Assistant
#75 Old 26th Nov 2007 at 8:08 PM Last edited by La_exotique : 27th Nov 2007 at 12:29 AM.
Here is a question if anyone figures it out, i would like help or reference.

Now i understand that when you import a skintone into bodyshop that you lose detail and resolution, i also understand no matter how much you try -- others will have different brightness contrast on their screens and graphic cards. With that in mind i have problems with darker skintones, i have a fixation on the gradiant pixelation usually around the forehead.

Anyone know a way to reduce that without using solid color.

shorten version: is it possible to make as much of a pixel free skintone with photoshop and bodyshop >
Page 3 of 4