Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 12th May 2005 at 7:32 AM Last edited by PAF : 13th May 2005 at 3:45 AM.
:weep: OK my idea didn't work.I removed the mesh and the skins and downloaded them again.Still doesn't export.I dont think its the mesh because I have found skins made for this mesh by other people.Any thoughts on fixing this would be appreciated.I'll try some more tomorrow and if I find anything I'll let you know.Thanks for your help Gigge.
Edit:I guess my computer just doesn't like this mesh.I reinstalled the game and put it back first(I needed a clean start anyway) still no good.
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 16th May 2005 at 5:06 PM
I found out what the problem is.It is not the mesh but the textures.Bodyshop will not export any texture with a "blue normal map".If anybody knows a way around this I would appreciate your help.
Field Researcher
#29 Old 16th May 2005 at 5:50 PM
Thank you for this thread! I never knew about the function keys, and if I had it would have made things much easier. The dark default background makes it really hard to accurately see how a new skin tone is coming out until you've put it in game. I've had skin tones look good in bodyshop, but then I make up a sim in game and it looks horrible! I can't count how many skins I've thrown away because I couldn't see the details in bodyshop.

Again, thank you for the informative thread.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 4th Jun 2005 at 11:54 PM
Wow...I missed the replies on this thread.

PAF: I think body shop does work with blue normal maps. I've used them when I was testing bump maps after I upgraded video cards. However, Maxis did switch from using blue normal maps before game release to black and white bump maps after game release. I think the problem you're having is that you're trying to import a pre-release mesh/skin. There is a workaround for it. I forgot specifically what involves, but I do remember you need to install the old body shop and then do something with them to get them in the new body shop. :/

Po: Thanks for the compliments! The tutorial is not only not complete, it's not coded for the web yet. So, I really can't post even part of it. But, your interest has motivated me to work on it some more so I'll try widdling away at a bit more.
Scholar
#31 Old 8th Jun 2005 at 12:03 AM
I wonder if bodyshop can be used to assign each type of clothes for a sim, because until now I can only assign the casual outfit for my sims before saving them. I want to assign all clothes for them since they're child to elder, and pack them for upload, is there any possibility to do that?!? THANKS
Field Researcher
#32 Old 9th Jun 2005 at 8:12 AM
PAF- "cannot upload mesh error" has happened to me when the picture for the mesh is too big! It was all good when I resized it to the original size
Test Subject
#33 Old 10th Jun 2005 at 10:40 AM
How do you import a celebrity face onto a sim? I have seen it done. how are people doing it?

JJ
Inventor
#34 Old 10th Jun 2005 at 11:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gigge
Lol, sorry. I thought everyone had read the readme.txt.....

Hot Keys:
There are several hot keys in The Sims 2 Body Shop that help you preview your Sims. Many of these can be used in combination to get a precise view of your Sim.

F3 -- Toggles between “free camera” and “set camera” modes. In free camera, you can use the following mouse controls to rotate the camera in all dimensions:

* Click and drag the Left Mouse Button -- Orbits the camera around the Sim’s head.

* Click and drag the Right Mouse Button -- Controls the camera zoom. Move the mouse away from you to zoom out. Move the mouse toward you to zoom in.

* Click and drag Left and Right mouse buttons together -- Changes the center point the camera is looking at.

F5 -- Toggles the 3D room off and on. If there is a bitmap graphic named “userBkg.bmp” in the “\EA Games\The Sims 2\” folder in My Documents, the image will be displayed as a backdrop.

F6 -- Displays the Sim in the “bind pose,” with arms held straight out. This is helpful for viewing parts of the Sim that may be hidden by the normal pose. To return the Sim to the normal pose, click on any Sim thumbnail or content thumbnail.

F7 -- While in “set camera” mode, displays the Sim at the far zoom position.

F8 -- While in “set camera” mode, displays the Sim at the near zoom position.

F9 -- Toggles the UI off and on.

< and > -- Rotates the Sim. (Also shown on the keyboard as the comma “,” and period “.” keys.)

Display Options:
Pressing ALT+ENTER will toggle The Sims 2 Body Shop between windowed mode (default) and full-screen.

~Gigge

don't forget while in the f3 mode..
you can use - and + (for zoom)
xts

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 11th Jun 2005 at 2:37 AM
I can't.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 23rd Jun 2005 at 11:47 PM Last edited by Gigge : 11th Jul 2005 at 12:37 AM.
I forgot about this tip that's not in the readme.txt. You can change the mannequin's skin color. To change your mannequin:

1. Open up body shop.
2. Select "Create Parts"
3. Before choosing "Start New Project" or "Load Saved Project", click on the "change mannequin" icon (underneath the randomizer dice). You can then choose from all the skin colors you have loaded.
4. Click accept and your mannequin will have the new skin you chose.

Gigge
Scholar
#37 Old 4th Jul 2005 at 3:16 PM
Thank you all, there's no thank u button here, so I'll do it like this!
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 5th Jul 2005 at 7:48 AM
How do you take a pic of the sim you are working on in body shop?
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
Original Poster
#39 Old 5th Jul 2005 at 8:54 PM
Same as anything else. Print Screen, open a new window in PhotoShop (or whatever you're using) and paste. Why you would want to do that is beyond me, though. BS pictures are horribly lit and don't necessarily look like the finished product in-game. FWIW, this is why we're trying to make sure all downloads are accompanied by in-game screenshots. The game changes the color values, sometimes drastically, and smoothes lines, sometimes putting them askew when they looked fine in BS.

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 6:05 PM
cool! THANX SO MUCH for the tips everyone!!

-Pineapple.3000-

P.S. In body shop, if you keep both mouse buttons clicked, you can actually move about :D

i'm not sure if you know that already, but i thought u might wanna kno

THANX AGAIN!!
Test Subject
#41 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 7:28 PM
I got the official prima guide to sims 2 and it says that the bodyshop hot keys f3 and f5,are an exclusive feature to the bodyshop version that shipped with the game
Mad Poster
#42 Old 14th Jul 2005 at 7:50 PM
The downloadable version was very limited, Maxis said so, and it actually crashed my game when I first bought it! I was mailing EA for weeks until they suggested removing the downloaded version and it worked fine.
PAF, was it you who said you couldn't extract certain items of clothing? I had this problem with a maxis vest and a maxis female top. I tried three times to export, close bodyshop, reopen and export again. Each time failed until I restarted my computer. They extracted first time then! I have no idea what caused it. By the way, these happened on two seperate occasions...

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Test Subject
#43 Old 21st Feb 2006 at 8:19 AM
I'm feeling rather stupid today, and this might be a stupid question, so bear with me please. After the very long exhausting weeks it took me to download BodyShop, since of course my computer has some weird video card, and the very long exhausting hours it took to download Adobe, I finally figured out how to recolor, but now I am stuck because it's only giving me outfits I don't want to recolor! It gives me (for an adult female) one shirt, one pair of jeans... and for outfits, 2 outfits! One pair of everything for everybody! I am so confused and have been sitting here searching this site AND yahoo! My brain is gonna explode! Help I just don't know how to get other clothes on so that I can recolor those
retired moderator
Original Poster
#44 Old 21st Feb 2006 at 11:28 AM
That's because you're using a pre-release version of Body Shop. You'll find the working one in My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\CS Bin\TS2BodyShop.exe. Run that, and you'll have the right version.

Test Subject
#45 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 9:35 AM
No I don't see it on there And when I go to play the game, the CAS bit is messed up. There aren't things to choose from anymore (faces), what did I do :'(
retired moderator
Original Poster
#46 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 2:34 AM
This has become much more than a skinning problem, then. You might want to click on Game Help on the top bar on the left and see if anyone can help you figure it out. I'm puzzled.

Test Subject
#47 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 10:09 AM
Hmm thanks anyways Faylen. I'm gonna keep messing around with this *sigh* Hopefully sometime soon it'll work properly :P
Test Subject
#48 Old 23rd Feb 2006 at 5:49 PM
Do you have to be a super-skilled artist to recolor clothing and make it look real, good, or at least decent??

I'm not super bad at recoloring or art but do you take clothes that exist in real life and sim-ify them? I know you can just create them but still. This seems very difficult...

When your world starts caving in

I'd still take you in

And if your world filled you with fear

I'm already here
Test Subject
#49 Old 24th Feb 2006 at 8:05 PM
Default "real clothes"
I think what people are doing is taking pictures of clothing and then putting them on the bitmaps in body shop. I saw a person do that to Britney Spear's face, and it was the best thing I had ever seen done. They just took an album cover, because she had a blank facial expression, and then they put it over an existing face pattern and saved it as blush in the makeup section. After they put the blush on the manequin, they still had to change her facial features until it looked like Britney, but it was really awesome. (Look it up under celebrity sims.) I am trying this with a picture of myself, but the eye holes keep being too big. If I can get it to work, I'll let you guys know.

Also, if this isnt how most people are doing it, someone please let me know because I'd like to learn! :smile:

"Kay-YAAAAHH!"
Test Subject
#50 Old 25th Feb 2006 at 5:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GSSMsmartgirl
I think what people are doing is taking pictures of clothing and then putting them on the bitmaps in body shop. I saw a person do that to Britney Spear's face, and it was the best thing I had ever seen done. They just took an album cover, because she had a blank facial expression, and then they put it over an existing face pattern and saved it as blush in the makeup section. After they put the blush on the manequin, they still had to change her facial features until it looked like Britney, but it was really awesome. (Look it up under celebrity sims.) I am trying this with a picture of myself, but the eye holes keep being too big. If I can get it to work, I'll let you guys know.

Also, if this isnt how most people are doing it, someone please let me know because I'd like to learn! :smile:
What size does the picture of the person's face hae to be?

When your world starts caving in

I'd still take you in

And if your world filled you with fear

I'm already here
Page 2 of 8