Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 22nd Feb 2013 at 8:42 PM
This sounds really cool actually. I might give it a go.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27 Old 23rd Feb 2013 at 2:27 AM
This sounds fantastic! I've been reading a lot of weird scifi/fantasy lately and this just keeps the mood from those books going. I've never designed a church before....

I suppose I'd want a fairly small one so it isn't too easy. The one my Grandma taught Bible School at in the summers had a full kitchen in the basement and a tiny shower stall next to the washer and dryer utility closet. The basement level was for all the pancake feeds and other community shindigs. Lots of folding chairs, lol. They had a little garden, too. It was just a mid-sized small-town church. I can't even remember if it was Episcopal or Methodist, since I was really young and got the two main churches in town mixed up all the time. Made no difference to a little kid which was which, you know? Maybe if I took out the shower I could just try to rebuild that one from my memories. It's been a loooong time since I've been there, last was for my Grandma's funeral.... >.>'
I think they'd built a side addition for smaller gatherings and kids to hang out in, and it had a handicapped ramp then, too. Aging congregation. /rambling memories

But seriously, this sounds like just what I need right now. I was just staring at the remains of my last family wondering what else I wanted to do to them, getting kind of bored, tired of the glitches inherent in a long-term generational save.
Test Subject
#28 Old 23rd Feb 2013 at 6:27 PM
Day 6 has rolled around another lucky roll, I have a new addition to the family! I decided to add another guy to the household (perhaps a romantic interest for the soon-to-be young adult Valerie?) so I made this really buff manly guy, hoping he'd be an architect, farmer or solider. I rolled for a random number and got Artist. Okay, not exactly what I had in mind.
Oh? And did I mention there was a baby on the way? Raina and Eitan have became quite...Close. As soon as Eitan realized Raina was pregnant he rolled a want to get married with her, so while the rest of the group was sleeping, they got hitched. The day the artist arrived in the group ( I can't recall his name at the moment, I think it is something like Jason Clay?) the baby was born and then the day after Valerie became a young adult. The little baby is named Liam and rolled to be a Solider. So give him a few 'years' and he'll be the only defender of the group. I recently uploaded a mod to allow me more than 8 family members, so hopefully more babies will be on the way.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 2:04 AM
Sounds like great progress! Unfortunately, my laptop went belly up and poof goes the Sims. Fortunately, my hubby took pity on me and bought me a new gaming laptop. Hopefully, this will save my sanity. I still have pics of the church at least, so hopefully I can just build it again quickly. I think I'll start over though with a new roll. Hopefully, the dice will be kind!

Dr. Qusul Pa'Lhaxalic has been reassigned and has a new partner. Stay Tuned.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 2:52 AM
Wow, wow, wow! I am so impressed with this challenge. Very detailed and looks like it will keep me busy for a long time. xD I love it... thanks for sharing!

I rolled, even if I'm not going to start quite yet, and got Medic, Cook, Engineer, Handyman, Welder. Haha, that's a lot of handy sims. Glad I got the Medic though. <3

Intersecting modular stairs.
Test Subject
#31 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 4:26 AM
I haven't tried a challenge in a while, but I've been looking for something different to spice up my game, and this looks pretty awesome. I rolled to have a teacher, an engineer, a hunter, a soldier, and a farmer. Haven't gotten much done so far, as my free time is rather minimal, but I'm going to try to keep a record of the whole thing here.
Forum Resident
#32 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 3:48 PM
I've made it to their first winter. It's been.... hair raising a couple of times. I've been lucky.

Got me a Cook, a Handyman, a Teacher, and Artist, and a Priest all right off. I just used random single sims from my bin to make it more "omg we're just regular people from the town" for me.
First day we rolled to get a new person. So we got a Hunter (whew). That was the day we'd set to leave the lot to raid the grocery store so in my story that's where we met him. He helped us carry a bunch of sleeping bags home. Next trip out we snagged a laptop, a tiny folding table and a folding chair. Trying to make sure my Priest can set up shop there. Then my Hunter almost dies trying to go out for food and seed collection, good thing he's got those quick reflexs.

I didn't record everything, so some of my recollections are a little jumbled. We had some rolls where nothing happened, or the trip went well, so for a while we had some peace and quiet while stocking up a reasonable base camp. It still doesn't feel like 'home', but it's getting closer. We've got a small bookshelf, slowly filling with material from our inventive Priest (who oddly ended up being my self-sim who likes to write), a fridge and a stove (got lucky on two different trips there) and after a hair-raising trip where my first Blessing held firm protecting our Artist who was going out to prove that he could sculpt so we'd get him a sculpting wheel. Idiot Artist. Then our Cook got sick. It's funny because the game had been giving us all random cold moodlets since the first rainstorm, and that moodlet lasts 48hrs, so I just gave her that moodlet and kept her away from the cooking stuff. She usually helps with the small garden we've planted (which is now frozen over...) but not until she felt better.

With the addition of our Hunter, we've got three guys and three girls. It was amusing to watch them semi pair up. No one wants to go past flirting autonomously, it seems. But they keep rolling wishes, so I'm confident that someday soon, after they get a little more comfortable we'll be seeing some babby action going on. Probably in the shower that we shouldn't have, lol. I had to take one of the showers away because it BROKE past my Handyman's ability to fix. He's been upgrading and tweaking everything in sight since, grumpy that he couldn't save the shower.

Our poor hunter is the only one who really can't level up while on the lot. I had them find a chin up bar so he'd be strong enough for the monsters, which came in handy. But he really wants to get some meat on the table which he can't do on the lot.

I decided to NOT do my usual huge preparation and set up thing, so I'm using Jericho as a world, and the already present Temple. It does have showers, which I didn't notice right away, but eh. It also doesn't have a lot of room for fiddling and personalizing. If I could solve the tomb underneath (requiring solving the one under the Cemetery next door...) then we'd have space for expansion underground, but otherwise I really can't see having a ton of people in this building. Even if we manage to get an Architect in the group. (first thing, we make covered porches where the picnic tables are, I'm tired of seeing people eat their meals in the rain)

I'd like to dig a smallish pond if there's space, and stock it with the best fish I can find, when he gets high enough and HAS enough. But I'm not sure if that falls under Architect rules, or if anyone can dig a hole in the ground. We're not ready for a pond yet anyway, storywise, so I'll just sit on that idea.
Test Subject
#33 Old 24th Feb 2013 at 9:33 PM
Well... I kind of may be in over my head. You guys may recall in my last post I mentioned I recently got a mod so I could have a bigger family...It seems that I may of went a little crazy with the baby making.
Currently there is one toddler (courtesy of Raina and Eitan), 5 babies (a pair of twins from Raina and Eitan, another pair from Jason and Valerie, oh and I may of made Father John and Alexine hook up and have a baby). Not to mention there are 3 more on the way (Seems like Father John and Alexine were determined to have a pair of twins also, and Jason and Valerie really wanted another girl).
So total there will be 9 hungry, peeing, screaming babies crawling around and six determined adults to tend to them. Oh dear. Though, I may or may not have plans to kill off either Raina or Eitan, I really need to make the household smaller.
The babies names are; Liam (son of Raina and Eitan), Azure and Zhorah (a girl and a boy, parents are Jason and Valerie), Benedict (son of John and Alexine), Erol and Aida (boy and girl, parents are Raina and Eitan).
On a different note, I'm on Day 11 and on Day 10 I rolled and got free monster food. So that's nice.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 28th Feb 2013 at 5:40 AM
Here's my survival team:
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 4th Mar 2013 at 9:04 PM
Ok, I have a church and everything now. I rolled for a new person the very first roll, and it's an architect =) May post pics later if I ever get organized enough. Also I have to stop playing this for a while and get back to my random legacy before it gets all lonely. xP

Really hope I can afford an inventing table sometime soon, but I doubt it's gonna happen... Maybe I'll let them do some dumpster diving during a trip. That is totally a legitimate way to salvage stuff. xP

Intersecting modular stairs.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#36 Old 25th Mar 2013 at 5:28 AM
My gosh, I'm so glad this generated interest! (And sorry that I disappeared, but that's beside the point) lil_bag2, your story was very interesting!
Test Subject
#37 Old 21st Apr 2013 at 6:14 PM
If I want to sell (or buy) 50 tomatoes, should I roll for leaving fifty times or once is just enough?
Forum Resident
#38 Old 21st Apr 2013 at 10:58 PM
Oh, just once I'm sure. Your sims could carry a bushel of produce in backpacks or load it into the truck that they use to haul furniture in. But if they got home and you realized that you didn't sell the fish that one of your other sims had ready.... then that would realistically be a second trip.
is going to be a cat when she grows up.
retired moderator
#39 Old 21st Apr 2013 at 11:44 PM
This is a really interesting, well-thought-out challenge!

I'm tied up with a bunch of stories at present, but I will certainly be keeping this one in mind
Instructor
#40 Old 22nd Apr 2013 at 6:45 PM
This is an interesting challenge, I might adapt the "plot hook" a little bit and run it as a side story alongside a future(planned, but it's a pretty major plot point so I think it's going to happen) part of my random legacy. I like the idea of a group of strangers(possibly some of the only survivors of whatever just happened) taking refuge in a place that's somehow protecting them(might not go with a church, I'm still deciding), lots of nice story potential.

My sims blog
Currently playing: Katran Random Legacy
Field Researcher
#41 Old 22nd Apr 2013 at 11:32 PM
I still haven't set up my game for this challenge. I'm trying to find the right map and church for this challenge.
Field Researcher
#42 Old 3rd May 2013 at 4:52 PM Last edited by dedreav0531 : 3rd May 2013 at 7:19 PM.
I started the challenge yesterday, here's what happened with my starting group....

1.Priest

2,000 years before the zombie infested world Charles now resides in, Charles was a humble priest at a local church. One night when Charles was preparing for the mornings mass, someone Charles never had seen before walked into the chapel and attacked him. A few nights later Charles was horrified to find out that he had become a vampire which was thought to be only a myth. But now living thousands of years Charles now seems there are more than just vampires inhabiting the world.

2.Cook

Claira was raised in a religious household; so, she and her family always went to church and any activities the church held. Now, Claira only went to church and the activities for one reason, and that reason was Father Charles. There was always something about him that spoke to her and drew her closer to him. When the crisis started and everyone was panicking, Claira and her family packed all they could into the car and were on their way out of town. When, suddenly, a semi struck the family's car, causing the car to flip and crash into a tree. As Claira became conscious she had realized her family was dead. Hearing groans outside of the car getting closer, Claira thought of only one place she knew was safe, the church.

3.Solider

Guy had returned home from war just 3 month before the accident happened that turned a lab assistant into something monstrous. Guy is the only person that was intrusted with the secure information concerning a top secret operation to create super soldiers. Unfortunately, the chemical was highly unstable and not much was known on whether the chemical would work or have some form of mutation to whomever came in contact with it.

4.Architect

While Mia was sitting at home with a glass on wine in her hand, celebrating her many accomplishments, she turned the tv channel to the news. What Mia saw shocked her, all the buildings an homes in the city she had designed, were being evacuated. Mia then heard what she thought was a knock of her door, while going to answer it she stopped and turned back to see people being attacked on the television screen. Mia then got what little she could carry and bolted for the back door. Mia could only think of one place that was secure enough for her to go to.

5.Engineer

Jeb Holder was horrified the disrepair and lack of persons in the city when had returned home from a much deserved vacation. Jeb drove home, while walking to his front door he noticed the lock was broken and someone was inside. Not knowing about the accident, Jeb stepped into his home to confront the person. Jeb was nearly bitten when the infected attacked him; but, luckily Jeb knocked the infected back before that could happen. Jeb then ran back to his car and drove through the city in efforts to find a safe place to rest and think able what was going on. While driving Jeb drove up on a church.

Pictures coming soon...

Tuesday, the second day, I rolled a new person with the same number as one I already have, so I made a medic.

I'm not sure if the rules said roll every two days, but that's what I did.

Thurs. the next roll day....Nothing

Sat. Moderate Sickness-Priest-Medic cured it

The following Monday.....

Found Money

Wed. Another New Person-Rolled a Artist

and since I'm on Thursday now I rolled for Friday and Sunday.

Fri. Nothing

Sun. I'm really not happy about because of the story I gave her....Severe Sickness-Death-Cook.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#43 Old 4th May 2013 at 5:27 PM
Um...I have a question about the use of the Vector mod made by Twallan at nraas.. I have the mod installed so that I can infect the city will zombies and various other diseases. If my sim gets one of the vector diseases(two of them can kill the sim) can I just use the vector mod in place of the sickness rolls?

p.s. All of my sims have caught a cold, that's why I was wondering.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 7th May 2013 at 4:23 AM Last edited by dedreav0531 : 8th Dec 2013 at 8:29 PM.
Since my cook got a severe sickness, I thought I would give her the story of getting bit by a zombie and dying of the severe fever the bite caused. After a certain I turned her into a zombie and had my solider shoot her.

While the Grim Reaper was taking Claira away, the only sim grieving and crying out was the priest. Even after her ghost went into the urn none of the other sims mourned except the priest.
Test Subject
#45 Old 9th May 2013 at 5:32 PM Last edited by Elen-amf : 9th May 2013 at 8:13 PM.
I agree with selling rules, but imho buying rules are too easy. I've started with hunter and farmer, and I have no problems with food at all. So I've bought only one vegetable/fruit per roll for more hardship =)

One more question. If I roll for new character in generation 2 or 3 may they level up their full skills to lvl10?

And one more)) Can priest write books for money?
Field Researcher
#46 Old 9th May 2013 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Elen-amf
I agree with selling rules, but imho buying rules are too easy. I've started with hunter and farmer, and I have no problems with food at all. So I've bought only one vegetable/fruit per roll for more hardship =)

One more question. If I roll for new character in generation 2 or 3 may they level up their full skills to lvl10?

And one more)) Can priest write books for money?

I was also wondering if the priest could write for money. Right now my priest has a book published "The Zombie Apocalypse" or something like that. I made it non-fiction.
Forum Resident
#47 Old 9th May 2013 at 11:01 PM
Huh, I went back to re-read the rules and sure enough, writing for money isn't listed. But... if the artist can make and sell paintings, then books shouldn't be a problem. I hope not, because I've already had my leader write a ton of theme titled books. XD

The hardest part about this is limiting the skill levels. I'll have to get back on this save and get to the next generation soon. Took a break to try out an idea for a vampire vinyard.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#48 Old 8th Dec 2013 at 4:09 PM
Okay, hi guys! I'm so sorry that I totally disappeared off the face of the planet there. I had some computer issues and then never really had the drive to install sims on my new laptop--until the black friday sale when sims games were like 60% off and I bought two new expansion packs. Spent four days fighting with Sims, Origin, and Windows 8 before finally getting it working and EVERYTHING on again. So yeah, I'm back! I just re-read my challenge (which sadly I never got too far into before my laptop decided to go splat) and DEAR GOSH I STILL LOVE IT AND WANT TO DO IT.

A couple questions to be answered (even though I'm sure that askers have long sense moved on, they might be helpful for someone else):

If you want to buy 50 tomatoes, only one trip is needed. There is a lot of leeway in this, but the general rule is if they owned a decent sized truck, could you imagine them bringing it back in one trip? Then one role is good. 50 tomatoes, yes. 2 beds, probably not. It's all based on your judgement, of course--just use some common sense c:

dedreav0531 - I don't entirely understand how that mod works to be honest, but I would say it's fine? As long as they die if they are supposed to, it works for me.

Elen-amf - Yeah, I see what you mean with them being too easy. I'm going to start the challenge again myself, I'll see how it goes. The problem is that if they don't start with a food producing person, then it might very well be too hard for that. I've got a farmer on my new team.

2nd Gen characters - yes, the new people have the same restrictions as originally.The full skills they can level freely c:

Writing - Goodness, I didn't put that on the skill page? If I can figure out how to log on to my blog (first and only time I've ever used wordpress) I'll add it in. They can write, yes--but the restrictions I was using was similar to painting. The first time they write, they can work on novel--the second, third, and fourth they have to practice writing. Fifth novel, and then so forth. (Like the only selling 1 in 4 paintings.) I apologize for somehow missing that in the first place! Before I disappeared into nothingness, that's what I was doing.

Anyways, I'm going to start my second playthrough soon, after I go to real life church (lol c: ) I have rolled, I have a farmer, fighter, cook, handyman, and architect. I think I'm going to make my church smaller then last time. I want a bit more of a challenge. I have a well stocked massive nursery last time, and that's kinda silly, so.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#49 Old 10th Dec 2013 at 2:50 PM
Updated rules slightly + started a blog with my own family here: http://thesanctuarysims3.wordpress.com/
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 11th Jan 2014 at 6:04 PM
What about the zombies that spawn on the lot on a full moon with Supernatural?

Broski
The Sims 3 is my life.
Page 2 of 3