Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 5:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ButchSims
This. times 10. Remember when Vista came out, and everyone jumped on board, only to find out it was the computer equivilent of the Titanic?

I'm a Vista fan, say what? After about a year's worth of modding and tweaking to get rid of stuff that wasn't necessary, it ran much smoother than my computer with 7 ever has (plus WordPad/Paint/etc. didn't take up nearly as much space when running). I have no intentions of getting 8, once 7 stops being supported it's off to the Linux crowd for me.

Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
Oh good grief. If Windows 8 is actually designed make actual computers run like smartphones or tablets, then I'm avoiding it at all costs.

I have a unique problem where touchscreens universally refuse to respond to my, you know, touch. So I don't own a smartphone or anything of the sort. The start menu is what really put me off, hearing that most of the games I play (namely older ones) were being trucked off to Old-OS'-Only-Land really was the killer for me.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 6:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
Not only do I not use a smartphone, I don't have a cellphone.

I have a nice black rotary phone, however!

My cellphone is so old that it qualifies as a "dumbphone." It just makes calls.

My rotary phone is avocado green I've also got a push-button phone that looks like a pickle.

I'm thinking of upgrading my desktop in a year or so, but I'm definitely going to wait to hear if the bugs in Windows 8 regarding old games get worked out first. Otherwise, whatever new computer I get is going to experience an OS change.

My CC creations, updated April 21, 2015.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
#28 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 8:21 AM
I hope Windows 8 will have an option for compatibility for at least Vista. If not, I'll have to cruise eBay for a machine that can handle Sims 2. For pete's sake, Sims 2 is so incredibly fun and addictive and awesome despite the flaws in programming and perhaps the team going delete-happy with sims when making the factory-shipped neighbourhoods. I love the characters, particularly in Strangetown, and I'm a big fan of getting male sims probeded and preggers XD
Scholar
#29 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 8:26 AM Last edited by ieta_cassiopeia : 27th Oct 2012 at 8:28 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention about the smartphone
Stories like this make me glad my computer still runs on XP. No compatibility issues there (except with DOS games, and most of them can be solved with an emulator) and it's not like I find the games released post-Vista interesting.

I have a smartphone so old it's technically a PDA, albeit one that seems to think it's a mini-computer. It has a touch screen, but fortunately it also comes with a stylus because the screen is about the size of 3 postage stamps.
#30 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 10:03 AM
Both my laptop and desktop still run XP, and the only way I'll stop if is they pry it from my cold, dead fingers. My laptop screen is stained, the spacebar barely functions, and soon I'll have to use duct tape in order to keep the top attached to the bottom. Still, that situation is heaven compared to the idea of upgrading to any OS that has come since.

In all honesty, I don't count my chickens with TS2 and I do feel like it's only a matter of time before the day comes I cannot play it anymore because of non-compatibility in the future. I just take this as a given. I don't consider this pessimism as much as realism. They want to set us up to buy new products, not extend the life of old ones. That's the creed these days, y'know? Yay capitalism.

I'll tell my grandchildren about the old days of TS2 while they're plugging the "Sims 12 NeuroTainment Implant" straight into the base of their skulls.

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien
Theorist
#31 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 10:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lazzybum
That is a real shame if TS2 cant run on Windows 8! Windows 7 now can run my games I have from the late 90s

Windows 7 runs all my games from the early 90s right through to now so if Windows 8 can't even run TS2 then it is not something I want!

I'm glad somebody posted this here! I've been planning on buying a new computer and although I wasn't that keen to get Windows 8 before, at least now I know I definitely won't be getting it. I really do not want something designed for smartphones and tablets either. I don't used smartphones or tablets and have no intention of doing so either. I'm perfectly happy with a PC that runs my games and my crappy phone that makes calls and texts. I love the internet but I don't need to be able to access it 24/7.

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Mad Poster
#32 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 10:50 AM
I miss XP, but my laptop with XP sort of died... *makes pouty face*
XP is the only system that seems to be backward ad forward compatible with most programs. Windows 7 is so unstable with which programs it wants to run I almost scream in frustration every time I try to install something, though I've not had any big problems (except it refuses to run a couple of the most important programs I need, despite all my tries on making them compatible). Vista is... like a taped-together version of Titanic. It works. Sort of. When it wants to. But right now it hates me, and is looking for a new ice mountain to crash into every time I start up the computer, and finds said ice mountain every other time I start my game. Earlier it got freezing spells so often it was a nightmare to start it up. Been annoying ever since I got the computer, so I think the installation might have gone awry somewhere.

I do not miss win 95 or win 2000, though... They can rest in peace for ever. (And mac OS can go die, but that's another story).
Mad Poster
#33 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 11:03 AM
I have Vista and other than the one single time it died and I had to reinstall, I haven't had any problems. Helps that I told that User Account Micromanager thing to shut up and go away. But no Sims 2 is a deal breaker. I was actually all ready to switch to Ubuntu when Vista died, but didn't because its windows emulator had such awful reviews for Sims 2.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 11:37 AM
Windows 8? Pfft. Still using XP, and still glad about it.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Instructor
#35 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 12:49 PM
I've actually had fun with the pre-release, so for $40 bucks I'm thinking of taking the plunge. All my Sim stuff is safely backed up. Worst case scenario? I dual boot Win 7 and Win 8.

The known problem is with the installation. It keeps borking at the "find a directory" stage.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 2:03 PM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 27th Oct 2012 at 3:07 PM.
Is it me or is it that: Windows 8 = The Sims 3 ?
Field Researcher
#37 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 2:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MattShizzle
And if it's to be as a smartphone, they need to remember not everyone has a sodding smartphone. As do advertisers who seem to ASS-U-ME (ie when you assume you make an ass out of you and me, the old joke going back to the 70s at least) everyone has one and put "scan this with your pretentious ass phone, rich motherfucker and if you don't have one, lol your poor we don't care about you." Hell, my phone's just a phone. No internet, no camera, no nothing but a phone except it doesn't hang on the wall and has a different number.

I'm in high school and got my first cell phone a few months ago, so it is pretty nice despite being a non-smartphone. I am to this day amazed at how many people have smartphones! I once heard that 1 out of every 3 high school students has an iPhone. Well that is quite accurate if not an underestimate!

Back on the topic of Windows 8, why would anyone want something so confusing? And if it doesn't play older games? What the crap!!! I am happy that my family has an older computer that plays the Sims 2 and a computer with Windows 7, so we won't get this crapload of confusion and complications for a while.
Inventor
#38 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 3:48 PM
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 4:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
The Sims 2 will not even install on the new Windows version. There are similar issues with other games on PC.

I am posting this here so that people who still play The Sims 2 are aware of the issue, and I personally am not upgrading unless this is the result of a glitch with the OS that they intend to fix.

Edit: Just to give some other games reported to have problems:

-Bioshock 2
-Batman: Arkham City
-GTA4
-L.A. Noire
-Saints Row 3

As for SimCity 4... It actually supposedly runs fine.

Thanks for sharing! I'm still a TS2er and now that I know this, I'm NOT upgrading to Windows 8!

Call me Britt, an amateur ToTer
Mad Poster
#40 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 8:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by douglasveiga
this may help:

http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24607

So, in short, you can run the game, but you have to modify the registry and still keep your old versions backed up?

This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Scholar
#41 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 8:17 PM
Default Udate on Windows 8
After all the comments and attacks on poor Windows 8. I decided to find out for myself. Many of the issues reported were based on the betas of Win 8, many found that the game would not even install. One person as I researched the issue said that it installed and ran just fine on the actual finished product. I have just tested this out for myself. Verdict: Sims 2 installed without issue. The game started up just fine. There is a update patch that you should use that was released for Windows 7, BUT if you are running any of the expansion packs you don't even need to do that.

If the games are already installed and running under Windows 7, and you just upgrade you don't have to do anything. I installed on my tablet (Samsung 7 slate), and then removed it after testing, as I don't intend to run Sims on my graphics machine.

Updated info on the MS compatible list now shows this. This info was not ready at the time the installer was created. This is why Windows 8 list a caution. Windows 8 is actually a great operating system, and all of the attacks on it are quite unjust. One comment here even said that they would go to Linux. Right... good luck running any Sims under that.
Mad Poster
#42 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 8:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mendota
One comment here even said that they would go to Linux. Right... good luck running any Sims under that.

You have to be kidding me, you haven't done your research, have you? WINE. Yeah.

(They just recently got an actual engine specifically made for TS1 and TS2.)

Mad Poster
#43 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 8:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DigitalSympathies
You have to be kidding me, you haven't done your research, have you? WINE. Yeah.

(They just recently got an actual engine specifically made for TS1 and TS2.)

I looked into WINE and TS2 recently, the reviews were all bad. It'll run TS3, but not TS2. Like I said upthread, that was a dealbreaker. Although if a new version will run it, I might give it a go!
Scholar
#44 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 8:53 PM
Yes I have run Linux and Wine. It is not all that. If you want to run Linux fine, I don't care. I am only answering the question about Windows 8, as that is what the thread is about. Don't get your panties all in a bunch, because someone said that they don't care for Linux.
Scholar
#45 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GlorianaGlowbee
In all honesty, I don't count my chickens with TS2 and I do feel like it's only a matter of time before the day comes I cannot play it anymore because of non-compatibility in the future. I just take this as a given. I don't consider this pessimism as much as realism. They want to set us up to buy new products, not extend the life of old ones. That's the creed these days, y'know? Yay capitalism.

I still play Rogue on the same computer that plays Sims 2, and that was written in 1984 (thank you, DOSBox). I see no good reason why I should not be able to play Sims 2 in 2034 alongside whatever else I've decided to start playing at that point (and indeed Rogue - one day I will manage an ascension!). If any operating system designer has a problem with that... ...tough.
Mad Poster
#46 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
I looked into WINE and TS2 recently, the reviews were all bad. It'll run TS3, but not TS2. Like I said upthread, that was a dealbreaker. Although if a new version will run it, I might give it a go!

I've personally seen people run TS2, it takes a bit of jiggering but it can run.

Inventor
#47 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 11:22 PM
I still use XP, I see no point in upgrading to something that may not even work the same as the one I already have. I suggest people wait until they release patches/ updates before jumping on the bandwagon.
Forum Resident
#48 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 11:31 PM
I...haven't even used Windows 7 yet.

Stop making me feel so old, technology!
Mad Poster
#49 Old 27th Oct 2012 at 11:48 PM
I've personally seen people run TS2, it takes a bit of jiggering but it can run.

Ah cool. Well, so long as it doesn't take TOO much jiggering, I shall give it a try if my Vista ever refuses to work again, but right now, while it's stable, I refuse to tempt fate.

Although I suppose "it takes a bit of jiggering" could be said about Windows 7 and 8 too, going by some of the comments here. XD
Inventor
#50 Old 28th Oct 2012 at 1:38 AM
So, in short, you can run the game, but you have to modify the registry and still keep your old versions backed up?

http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24607

yes.

(sorry about the grammar)

according to the suggested topic there are two solutions:

1- copy the folder of your installed the sims 2 from the previous OS and put somewhere and modify the registry to make the new system recognize the game as installed:

Code:
hi! well, as i said first thing you need is already installed game on another computer or on your computer but in previous version of windows. 
you just have to copy sims 2 folders (core game and all the addons) in your new system. for the second step i discovered by now even easier way 
to edit the registry, so you need this program called sims addon integrator (SInt), it will create all the paths automatically. just google it and when
 after installing and launching click on "sInt" button in the upper left corner, then click on "автоматическое объединение" (the program is in
 russian so i don't know how to explain this another way, sorry), find your sims 2 folder, press "ok" and the program will do the rest itself. 

2- run the Sims 2 installer from the CD/DVD in the "Compatibility Mode" to bypass the error from the Sims 2 installer.

you don't need to run the game on "Compatibility Mode", just when installing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...ility-mode.html
Page 2 of 22