Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 2:01 PM Last edited by *BaBy'89* : 18th Nov 2012 at 3:02 PM.
I have the same graphic card and the same problem as rachaelstar: in the DeviceConfig file I found "Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti [Found: 0, Matched: 1]" but in the GraphicRules file there's this line or match("${cardName}", "*GTX 5??*")...what should I do?

Sorry for my bad english ^^'
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 20th Nov 2012 at 8:24 PM
Can anyone help *BaBy'89* and I?

Thanks,
Forum Resident
#28 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 9:39 AM Last edited by Belzader : 21st Nov 2012 at 9:50 AM.
@*BaBy'89*
@rachaelstar713

When game list a card as matched but not found, unless all the bars have the lowest setting (all the way to the left), there is no need change anything in the GraphicRules file as game has matched it towards a rule found in it.

The main reason ellacharmed made this tutorial was that the 7000 serie had no rule at all, so game set it to lowest possible, which basicly means that game belive card is not supported.

If i take the case with my laptop it have a 6520G which there aren't any rule for but it have a "main" rule for the 6000 serie (6???) so game match it towards that one.

So, what i'm saying here unless both of you don't have the default settings on lowest possible (unsupported card), there's no need to change anything in the GraphicRules file, as game has matched it towards the "main" rule for 5??.

I want my Space Pony title back.. why was it there such a short time..
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 4:34 PM
I have a brand new stationairy computer which my husband built for me (I'm no computer wiz but he is) which should exceed the requirements for the game by far. The problem is that when I start the game and play for a few minutes, the screen turns black. No messages or anything, just suddenly black. The computer is still on so I have to crash it to restart it. I am very disappointed since I so looked forward to play the game on a really fast computer with lots of memory. I had an old laptop before that did not let me play the stylist career because of memory shortage. I wonder if anyone knows what to do? I guess it has to do with the graphic card, but I am not sure. The graphic card is a Sapphire Radeon HD7850 2 GB. The game lists the card as matched and found and the bars have high settings in game - but I don't get to see in detail because the screen turns black so fast.

Thanks,
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#30 Old 27th Nov 2012 at 6:57 AM
@Cheezilla,
have you tried redoing it over again? If not, remove your edited files and revert back to the originals. Remove options.ini and DeviceConfig.log and start the game. Quit the game, and look in DeviceConfig.log and tell me the Device ID# and what the "Found: ?, Matched: ?" shows.

@rachaelstar713, @*BaBy'89* & EVERYBODY,
you guys need to tell me what the Device ID# and what the "Found: ?, Matched: ?" shows.
Guys, I don't have a database of all the cards in existence, what I find I use Google search. The GTX 550 Ti is not listed in the Cards list, not by its Device ID#. And manufacturers have different device IDs for the same card model.

And you all didn't state what ID# you've added and what "previous" rule you've used to copy+paste. I need to know all that information to tell if you had done things correctly or incorrectly.

Even better if you can show an image of the snippet of the edited portion of the file(s), so you don't even need to describe what you've done, we'll be able to see from the picture.

@capricce,
same request: what does the "Found: ?, Matched: ?" line show? You also did not mention what patch version you're on?
If it shows as "Found: 1, Matched: 1" and the Device ID# of "0x6819" is in the Card sgr file (as you have the same model I do, but different manufacturer), and as long as you're on 1.42, this is not the issue you're facing. Unless your device ID# is different?

For crashing issues, work through the Game_Help:Sims 3 Crashing Checklistwiki.

And, as for exceeding system requirements, the game needs more than just a good GPU; the system need to have the trifecta of good CPU+RAM+GPU to exceed the recommended requirements. And until I see a DxDiag report to support the claim, I don't take reports of "exceeding system requirements" at face value, as most times, they do not.
Forum Resident
#31 Old 7th Dec 2012 at 2:10 AM
I wanted to do this for my card, GeForce GTX 560, but the instructions were way too confusing for me and I gave up. I guess I'll just never play my game again unless EA decides to finally add my card. What are the chances of that actually happening?
Instructor
#32 Old 7th Jan 2013 at 5:10 AM Last edited by PunkyBreester : 7th Jan 2013 at 5:29 AM. Reason: added more info
Alright, I'm not sure what to make of this, but I followed this tutorial and it seemed to mostly work... However, in the deviceconfig file my GPU Memory is listed as a 1, and my new default settings are kind of all over the place. I'm still on patch 1.39.

=== Rating info ===
GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 1 CPU: 4 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 3600 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 4400 RAM: 32708 Adjusted RAM: 32196 Cores: 4
:
:
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Name (database): AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series [Found: 1, Matched: 1]
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 6818, Board: 32511682, Chipset: 0000

In the GraphicsCards.sgr file, I added: card 0x6818 "AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series"

In the GraphicsRules.sgr file, I searched "HD 6" and had 3 hits as in the tutorial. I copy+pasted each instance and edited it to match my card. So, the 3 different edited parts in that file now look like this:
or match("${cardName}", "*HD 6??0*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 7??0*")
or match("${cardName}", "*HD 6???*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 7???*")
or match("${cardName}", "*HD 6???*") or match("${cardName}", "*HD 7???*")

waiter, there's a conundrum in my soup
The Adom Legacy
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#33 Old 8th Jan 2013 at 5:26 PM
@ShortyBoo, if you don't ask questions or seek help, how am I to know you're encountering issues and need help with the instructions? Just reporting you don't understand, but not tell me which part you need explanations on, is not helping anybody.

The edits look good, @PunkyBreester.

Is that after removing the
- deviceconfig.log file
- options.ini file
after editing the .sgr files and before loading the game? Sometimes, the game does not refresh these files properly. Did you also explicitly click the Restore Default button?

Most times, I need to click on the Restore Default button to make the options refresh with the new sgr entries, to make sure the game is picking up the newly available rules for the added card.
Instructor
#34 Old 9th Jan 2013 at 6:09 PM
By "removing" those files, do you mean letting the game generate new ones? I didn't do that at first, but I just tried it, and that made no difference. Yes, I did click the "restore defaults" button. Before that, my settings were set on what I'd manually changed them to before doing this tutorial (much higher settings), then after clicking that button they go all wonky. I have tried refreshing my caches, restarting the computer/game.. Still the same deal.

The Adom Legacy
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 24th Jan 2013 at 3:17 AM
Have you updated to 1.42-1.48, PunkyBreester? Is this resolved for you on any of these patches? I saw the following entry in the GraphicsCards.sgr file:
card 0x6818 "AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series"

May I know why you're remaining on 1.39, if haven't updated?
Instructor
#36 Old 3rd Feb 2013 at 2:46 AM Last edited by PunkyBreester : 3rd Feb 2013 at 2:57 AM.
I usually don't update until I get a new EP, mainly to avoid having to update all of my mods (as well as having time to read about any potential issues that each new patch might have).

I did just get Seasons and am now patched to 1.42, and I'm still having the same problem :/

The Adom Legacy
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#37 Old 4th Feb 2013 at 3:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PunkyBreester
I'm still having the same problem

Did you mention why or how you decide this is the cause of the issue? What is the issue that the game presented with? I mean, what was the initial problem?
Or, was it just because the Memory shows as having "1" in the log file? What should be the correct value? What is the actual HD 78xx model card that you have, and how much VRAM does it have?

Did you keep a copy of the DeviceConfig.log to verify the .sgr edits did change how the game recognizes the card? So, after making the edits, the DeviceConfig.log still show the same "=== Rating info ===" values, as before all the edits were done?
Test Subject
#38 Old 4th Feb 2013 at 3:08 AM
I posted a couple of days ago about the same problem. My deviceconfig file is empty except for the words options and default options. I am dual booting Win 7 32bit and Win 8 64 bit. The game plays fine on the Win 7 side except for memory problems. On the Win 8 side I have the same as Sierradane, the light blue screen with darker spots where water would be in the map view. The base game plays great and I can change graphics as is WA. As soon as I add another game I can not change anything and all of the settings are low. Advanced rendering cannot be enabled either. I have copied and pasted the deviceconfig from the base games file into the empty file. No help. I have uninstalled and reinstalled 2x. I just installed the Win 8 and upgraded to GeForce GTX 660 ti last week. My drivers are up to date and I have the latest Direct X. Thank you for any help.
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#39 Old 4th Feb 2013 at 3:11 AM
@lschram55,
the sgr edits didn't help at all? Or the edits didn't "take"? When you reopen the .sgr files, are your changes there?
Instructor
#40 Old 4th Feb 2013 at 4:10 AM
I didn't have any specific initial problems, other than noticing that my default graphics settings were very low for what I expected. In fact, I don't entirely remember, but I might've only found this tutorial after googling something along the lines of "Radeon 7800 sims 3 settings".

From what I can gather, my card is a 7800 with 18146 MB. Here's a screencap of my card info..

The "=== Rating info ===" values did change, but as you can see in the picture I linked in my first post, my default settings are still kind of suspect. Some are pretty high, while others are at the minimum setting. I assumed that since we have the same (or similar) cards, my new default settings would more closely resemble the ones at the end of the tutorial, and not be half & half like that.

The Adom Legacy
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#41 Old 4th Feb 2013 at 1:31 PM Last edited by ellacharmed : 4th Feb 2013 at 1:44 PM.
You get that same exact settings, even now on patch 1.48? (1.42 have world installation issues in Launcher, and probably other Sims3Pack types as well. So you really shouldn't be using this version)
Even after clicking on the Restore Defaults button in Options? The sliders are still at that same position?
The patch did update to EA's default .sgr files, didn't it? Patching the game didn't prompt that you have "Invalid Errors"? And after patching, since the files are overwritten, all your previous edits were gone? And the game is now using whatever the rules are in .sgr files as EA had set them? Just confirming...

Quote:
7800 with 18146 MB
Erm...I don't think so. I need the last 2 digits of the model number. The "AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series" can either be
- 0x6818 78?? (7870?)
- 0x6819 7850 (what I have, and what's showing in the FAQ)
And different brands and models by different GPU manufacturers have different VRAMs and clock speeds, which differs from AMD specs' sheet on their Specs pages.

From online search results, device ID 6818 could be HD 7870. But I still need to know the Brand and Model number to see how much VRAM it has. VRAM ranges from 512MB to 2GB. I don't think there's a GPU with almost 20GB VRAM in the market, yet. Unless, that's an error by the device driver software or the BIOS reports it wrong. Which would explain why you have all these issues. There's a miscommunication between the device driver software and the hardware.
What Catalyst Control Center version do you have? Did you get the device driver updates from AMD's site or the Manufacturer's site?
And do you have issues with this card outside of Sims? Watching movies, playing other games?

And the vendor ID = 1682, I deduce is XFX.
Which means your card is one of these - http://bit.ly/YOy1VO - which?
See that Memory Size row? It states 2GB.

If it is not, then I need you to confirm the Brand and model #, please. Or link to its product page here.
Test Subject
#42 Old 4th Feb 2013 at 9:08 PM
When I copied and pasted nothing took. I still could not see the map view or save a game other than the first game. When I tried to change options they just went back to the lowest setting. Now, the embarrassing part. I finally just decided to install Seasons thinking I had nothing to lose except time re installing. It worked, at least so far. I have only had time to play once but everything was clear and the option settings were set at high or medium and the map view is perfect. I have been one to not update patches because my internet is terrible and it takes hours, and that is if it stays connected all the way through the download. But apparently it is worth it. I will post again if the game goes back to bad. I'm just posting this hoping it may help someone else. Thank you for your time and help.
Instructor
#43 Old 4th Feb 2013 at 11:29 PM Last edited by PunkyBreester : 5th Feb 2013 at 12:14 AM.
Haha, thanks ellacharmed - I knew I wasn't finding the right info, but that's all that came up where ever I looked (device manager, dxdiag, catalyst control center...). I know I have the 7870, but wasn't seeing that number anywhere, so I just went with what was on the screen. My computer knowledge is pretty limited when it comes down to the actual components :/

I didn't get any errors after patching. Updating to 1.48 isn't really an option right now, though, because we have satellite internet where I live and there is a download limit.

My Catalyst version is 13.1. I got a disc in the mail for my drivers, and installed them from there. The disk is cracked and unusable now, though using the detection utility from AMD's site, it says I have the most current driver.

The only issues I've been having are slight glitches in Firefox, but I assumed that was from having too many tabs open or something like that.

I really hate to have to ask you this, but if the correct information isn't being displayed through dxdiag or Catalyst or anywhere else that I look, how am I supposed to find out exactly which card I have? (Sans opening up the tower and trying to lay eyes on it myself - I feel like that's pretty far out of my scope of experience/capability.) I bought my computer from ibuypower.com, and I'm trying to dig up a build list in the hopes that it'll have the exact model number. Even the packing list only says "XFX 7870 2GB VIDEO CARD". The pictures they have on their site don't look exactly like either of the ones on newegg. The only options they have are "AMD Radeon HD 7870 - 2GB" or "MD Radeon HD 7870 - 2GB - HIS IceQ - Cooler, Quieter". Since my Dad had final say and purchasing power, I'm not sure which one he ended up getting, so I'm hoping he still has that build list in his email somewhere.

Thank you so much for helping. I'm sorry that I'm kind of failing the simple task of knowing what card I have

Edit: The build list isn't any more specific, and as it turns out, the picture on ibuypower is actually of the 7850 It looks closest to the first one on Newegg, though (FX-787A-CNFC), so if I was going to guess I'd say its that one. Hopefully, if I had the "Double D" version (really, AMD?), it'd say that on the build/packing list/website somewhere.

The Adom Legacy
In the Arena
retired moderator
Original Poster
#44 Old 7th Feb 2013 at 3:20 PM
@lschram55,
glad to hear things got cleared up for you. I'll make a note on your thread that issue is resolved, than shall I?

@PunkyBreester,
Opening a casing's side panel involves only undoing 2 screws at the back. Just to see whether the GPU has one or two fans. Anyways, iBuyPower didn't ship to you all the boxes and booklets of all the individual components?

There's a utility though that can tell you the model number, and also confirm the amount of VRAM. Whenever is there not a tool to do anything? I completely forgot about this thing - http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

"XFX 7870 2GB VIDEO CARD"
That does looks like it is the single-fan version. I'm sure if it is the dual-fans version, the model number would explicitly state that fact.
"Double D" I didn't even notice that!
Instructor
#45 Old 7th Feb 2013 at 8:04 PM
Thank you, ellacharmed! Here's the screencap of what the utility gave me.

Actually, it seems like I've only had noticeable issues (outside of the game settings) during the past week... I have been away from home for a while, but I don't remember having glitches while web browsing before. And just during the past few days, 3-4 times I've seen my screen go black for about a second then come back up with a pop-up that says something like "The graphics driver crashed, but recovered."

I'm starting to wonder if there were recent updates that caused some kind of conflict... Otherwise, I don't really understand why these problems are just now occurring (and I've only had this computer since Christmas).
Screenshots

The Adom Legacy
Test Subject
#46 Old 10th Feb 2013 at 2:37 AM
Hi! I just got a new computer and while it worked great for a bit, it started crashing. The CLA said it was due to graphic devices not found. I believe I understand the first bit, but when I go to edit the GraphicsRules.sgr I'm not sure what to look for to edit. My card is AMD Radeon HD 7540D. What do I change? I'm probably making this harder than it really is. Any insight? Thank you!

Criticism comes easier than craftsmanship.
Zeuxis
Greek painter (~400 BC)
Test Subject
#47 Old 26th Feb 2013 at 6:02 PM
Default Plz help
Hello I got as far up too graphicsRules than I got completely stuck, I use Nvidia Geforce 610M and I have no idea where to go from there, I am in no form a computer person. I just reinstalled my game and got that message unrecognized graphics card...Setting set to high but you can reduce your settings if you meet poor performane and so on.
Test Subject
#48 Old 6th Mar 2013 at 9:06 PM
Default Graphicsrules Step is Confusing
My device name is Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000. So I don't AT ALL know how to find it in the graphicsrules.srg file. I'm completely lost!
Also, in the graphicscard.srg file, should I be copy+pasting this line:
card 0x2A42 "IntelĀ® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500"
to 0x0116 "Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000" ?

It also says [Found:1, Matched:1]
Site Helper
#49 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 12:25 AM
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...em_Requirements suggests that a Nvidia Geforce 610 of any kind is not suited to the Sims.

If Intel HD 4000 is part of the Intel HD (core i series) then it isn't suited either. (And [Found:1, Matched:1] suggests that you don't need to do anything else to get the card to be matched to something the game recognizes, anyway.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
#50 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 8:16 AM
So what do I do to get it to stop crashing? It was JUST working for a couple hours, then I tried copying over some saved files and BAM.
Locked thread | Locked by: ellacharmed Reason: done
Page 2 of 6