Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 10:31 PM
hmm...weird. well I'll keep them just in case i guess. at least if it does have to do with the crash i'll be able to check the bak files to see the identical files i need to quarrantine
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#52 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 10:32 PM Last edited by dewshine : 12th Mar 2005 at 2:07 PM.
Okay, so many confused people!
step by step...

I'll try to tell you what I did.

This is a texture conversion.
You must make sure that there is a suitable mesh already in the young adult catagory. I don't know how to mess with meshes. So again this is just a texture conversion.

Also before starting please backup your files!

Step one)
find a suitable item of adult clothing. I used a whole outfit at first because if there is no suitable mesh the game will put the texture on the nude or bathingsuit mesh. start with a full outfit.

Step two)
click on the package to open it with SimPE (i'm using version .23)

Step three)
once open you will see a list of selections to chose from in the box on the left side of simPE. select "Property Set" there, and again in the box on the upper right side.

Step four)
click on the "plugin view tab"
now you will see a list of fields to edit. to get the adult clothes to show up for YA you must add two lines.
the easiest way to do this is to highlight "age" and click add twice.

Step five)
pick one of your added lines. in the right had box that says "age" change it to "version"
Then where the number 0x00000008 is change it to a 0x00000002.

Step six)
pick the second line. again in the box that says "age" change it to "product" and the number from 0x00000008 to 0x00000000.

Step seven)
go to the original age line. change the number only from 0x00000008 to either 0x00000040 (for YA only) ~or~ 0x00000048 (for shared YA /Adult). To convert Young Adult to Adult simply change the age numbers to 0x00000048 to share or 0x00000008 for adult only. You don't need to change the other added lines (infact I recomend not touching anything but the "age" line)

Step eight)
hit "commit"

Step nine)
save!.

This has worked for me for outfits where the mesh is similar or the same in both age groups.
Additional research is shown that this unlocks the maxis meshes and makes them usable for other age groups.
Forum Resident
#53 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 10:37 PM
And yes, .bak files will cause the game to crash. you can either move all the .bak files out to another folder in your documents or deleat them. If you want to keep them and make a mistake just rename the .bak to .package to restore the file to the pre-altered version.
.bak files are created by simPE's auto backup feature. it can be disabled if you have made your own backup of your downloads folder.
to turn it off use the extras tab in the menu bar and select options. a box will pop up with the backup selected, just click on it to remove the check.
Scholar
#54 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 10:40 PM
Okay - gotcha! That's great, dewshine; thanks for doing that short but simple explanation - helped me a lot, for sure! As soon as I get my grubby mitts on the game next Friday, I'll be texture-converting like mad!
Pity you can't apply the same method to meshes, as well....but never mind. This is cool! Thanks again :D!
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 10:42 PM
thank you very much dewshine and no bak files in my download folder! got it! you think that's what was making the game crash?
Forum Resident
#56 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 10:45 PM
I'm sure of it, I had some bak files from some recolor files I altered and the game crashed. I took the bak files out and the game loaded without a problem.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 10:49 PM
since i had to uninstall all of my files yesterday and i redownloaded them EP compatiable i had to do the same with clothes today so i have all my package files on my desktop so i'm converting them one by one that way so at least i don't have to search within the download folder
Field Researcher
#58 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 10:54 PM Last edited by nancyw41 : 6th Mar 2005 at 11:02 AM.
I always keep my bak files in a seperate folder in my documents until I'm sure I don't need them, so it wasn't that, I took out all the files I converted and my game loaded just fine. I'm sure it was something I did wrong. Sorry for the mess. I'll just read and not post anymore! Thanks to all for their help.
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 11:01 PM
did anyone else try the game after converting?
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 11:08 PM
I tried the game after I got 2 adult tops converted. I was afraid I instigated something that made your games crash! Anyway, my game was fine. I had 2 college kids change into the new tops and I played around a bit with streaking and playing franks. It was quite funny!!!
Hhmm... the two values that I added to the property set file types are "version" and "product", not "property". Version is 0x...02 and product is 0x...00. Could that be it???
Hope your games get better.
Forum Resident
#61 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 11:08 PM
nancyw41, please feel free to post anytime. the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
Forum Resident
#62 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 11:10 PM
Opps. I'll fix that!
Field Researcher
#63 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 11:18 PM
Like I said, I'm sure it was something I did wrong - wrong mesh or something. I am probably the most computer-illiterate person in the world! I never should have messed with something I knew nothing about. I hope that it was just my bad and everything goes fine for everyone else. Thanks again.
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 11:25 PM
i'm going to change everything to product. i haven't tried my game yet but since it works for you qwigqwag with the product instead of property i'll go with that and hope for the best
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 11:50 PM
I did exatly as dewshine said and now my bodyshop wont load
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 12:07 AM
are you sure you followed all the steps correctly? i converted most of my adult clothes files...half to be accurate and the university body shop works fine
Field Researcher
#67 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 12:45 AM
Sure enough, I caused my own crash! After going through all the files I converted, there was ONE in which I forgot the "version 0x...000" line. Fixed that, and all is right with the world. Again, I am sorry for cuasing the slight concern. Should have known!
Test Subject
#68 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 3:15 AM
For the most part this process seem to work fine, however I wouldn't recommend converting a lot of files at once. Some package files will cause Bodyshop to crash after they are converted! Most, but not all, of those packages were created with the Pre-Game version of Body Shop.
Forum Resident
#69 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 3:20 AM Last edited by dewshine : 5th Mar 2005 at 3:22 AM. Reason: adding a word
Oh, good point, Gunny965. One quick way to tell if there might be a problem would be the normalmap texture that is purple, pink, and blue as opposed to gray like they are for the post-game bodyshop files.
Test Subject
#70 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 3:58 AM
I did have a few files with the old style normalmap that worked, but many did not. I haven't done that many conversions yet because it's real time comsumming. Bodyshop takes 3 times longer to load than the game does.
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 4:38 AM
MUHAHA i finished converting all of my clothes. i think i have lost my mind BUT i finished converting all 500 clothes and my game seems to be working...god i hope it doesn't crash or i might throw a fit
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 4:40 AM
by the way, i was converting, testing, converting testing to make sure there were no conflicts...so that's why it took a lifetime and a half
Forum Resident
#73 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 4:41 AM
fading69, have you seen what happens when the mesh does not carry over? Have you had any problems that way?
Forum Resident
#74 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 11:34 AM
what are some examples of meshes which are common to both YA and adults?
Lab Assistant
#75 Old 5th Mar 2005 at 11:48 AM Last edited by Bubbleberri : 5th Mar 2005 at 12:06 PM.
I have been making custom Young Adult skins. Although they are pretty punk like. If I could find the dang screenshots I took I'll post them for you to see

Found them though I only took a screenie of one of the outfits...
Page 3 of 6