Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 4:27 PM
in Edit Town I take it?? I'm still working on my mancave for Ryan

so perhaps I'm just weird, I just remembered my question btw, but would it be a strange decision to start out with the consignment store?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 5:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Klevkin
so perhaps I'm just weird, I just remembered my question btw, but would it be a strange decision to start out with the consignment store?

I considered starting with the consignment store, but decided that I wanted my sims to have a junkyard that they could visit for scrap before I started one of them sculpting so that I could have them make metal sculptures when they made enough money.

I reckon that sculpting would make a decent amount of money for a starter sim though, and a consignment store would be incredibly useful as for the first generation or more sims will be making money by selling stuff they've made or collected, and with a consignment store they'll get more money.

So I guess my answer is, no, it's not strange at all (imo)! :-)
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 6:27 PM
So, with scrap you can sculpt metal structures? Can't you do those without as well?? I'm not sure, another one of those aspects I never dug into that much...you might be right though if that's the case, I'll look into the junkyard bit as well
Mad Poster
#29 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 6:41 PM
I remember making a Sculptor sim once and not being able to figure out how to make metal sculptures until I looked it up online somewhere and discovered that they have to collect scrap (or acquire it somehow) as they can't buy it through the sculpting station like they can with the inventing bench. There are loads of other types of sculptures that they can make, even without scrap, so it's still doable, definitely.

Also, I think that, if they also had an inventing bench, they could purchase scrap through that and then put it in their inventory and use it to make sculptures. Never tried it myself, but I can't see why it wouldn't work!

I'm starting another version of this challenge, to play alongside the Wilsons, because I want to try a different approach to it and see how that goes. I get bored playing just one save game, so this attempt, plus the Perfect Genetics challenge, plus the Isle of the Midnight Sun challenge plus the Wilsons should keep me interested in the game :-)

*EDITED TO ADD** Copied from Carl's Sims 3 Guide:

Metal: Level 1, 3 Scrap - 6 Hours. About 4x higher values than clay (comparatively)
Head to the Junk Yard to get scrap, unless your Sim is a real Da Vinci and has an Inventor's Scraptronic Workbench and you want to buy them that way. Metal has its own types of objects, and there are 5 types to discover: a chair, a SimBot statue, a metal Sim, a horse and the 'shapely conundrum'. Your Sim can catch fire, and it happens quite a lot so hopefully there's a shower near your work area! Metal are not the best type for this reason, and that nothing about it really shines. Get the statues for the cool factor and move on.
Scholar
#30 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 7:24 PM
*head-desk* i hadn't even thought about sculpting! Dammit, and here Iwas trying to get everyone the painting skill. At least now I have an idea for Maureen...

I might be mixing this challenge with the Perfect Genetics one as well, because my fitst heir came out a clone of his mother, and it would be fun to have green skin and purple eyes being passed down.

The Love Legacy A Random Legacy Challenge Blog - Currently in Progress
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 7:37 PM
I'll try that out, with the inventing bench see if that works. Though the mancave I was creating for my sim crashed just before I had to go and eat and throw the children to bed.

Don't you just love Carls sims 3 guide?? I know I do :D

EDIT: cece, i'd really reconsider that, I have a save for the genetics thing and honestly, my first heir took me 16 children before I got one....
Mad Poster
#32 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 9:05 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 14th Feb 2012 at 3:42 AM.
I decided that my second go (which I'll be doing concurrently with my first go!) should have my selfsim as the founder, though she's not exactly doing stuff that's I'd do in real life - she's been sculpting like crazy, with a short break to befriend the mail woman (Alma Tanti) and ask her to move in, and to befriend the mail man (Graham Underwood) who replaced Alma - he's going to father some children with my selfsim, I reckon. So my selfsim's been sculpting, and Alma's been writing novels - and they still hardly have any money :-(

**EDIT** Mail man Graham has now moved in, as has Paparazzi Dave Ramsey, who'd been hanging round when Laura gained a celebrity star from sculpting. Laura just gave birth to Graham's son, Marcus, and Alma is trying for a baby with Dave - she becomes an elder in 5 days, so she's in a hurry to conceive! **END OF EDIT**

**EDIT AGAIN** Alma got pregnant, and the baby has just been born. It's a little girl, named Danielle. She will be Alma's only child, as Alma becomes an elder in a couple of days. Marcus will become a toddler later today - I can't wait to see what he looks like! There was a massive fire whilst Alma was pregnant - Laura was fixing the washing machine and it caught fire, eek! She and Dave both caught fire, but luckily Dave managed to put the fire out. The washing machine and sink were both destroyed though :-( Graham, the coward, was cowering in the living room throughout the whole thing.... **END OF EDIT**

**EDIT AGAIN AGAIN** Laura and Graham got married in the back garden, by the apple trees, just before she became an adult. Graham will become an elder tomorrow. Alma and Dave also want to get married, and intend to do so tomorrow, as she is due to become an elder later that evening. Marcus hasn't learned any skills yet, because everyone's been so busy planning weddings, but he'll be a toddler for 4 more days so it should be ok. He has his Mum's dark brown hair and his Dad's violet eyes. He's quite cute! The newlywed Underwoods are very happy, and the soon-to-be Ramseys hope to be equally happy together! Laura cashed in some lifetime reward points for an inheritance, which they plan to use to expand the house and send Marcus and Danielle to boarding school. Laura is a two-star celebrity and Graham is a one-star celebrity. **END OF EDIT**

**EDIT AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN** Alma and Dave got married at sunset in the back garden, looking out over Sunset Valley, not long before Alma became an elder. Marcus has been potty trained and is learning to talk from Dave and Laura. Danielle is now a toddler, with ginger hair (could've come from either parent!) and blue eyes. She's quite cute - and has way better traits than Marcus too.... The house has been expanded, and now has 4 bedrooms, 2 with en-suite bathrooms and the other 2 share a jack-and-jill bathroom, a large kitchen-diner, and a living room. **END OF EDIT**

**EDIT AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN** Graham is now also an elder, and he has mastered Sculpting. Alma is close to maxing Writing, Dave is close to maxing Fishing and Laura is close to maxing Gardening. Thanks to an Inheritance reward earned by Graham the household has about 40,000 simoleans at the moment - when Dave earns an Inheritance as well they'll have a high enough net worth to get Laura her LTW. Marcus has aged up to a child, and Laura enrolled him in the Peace And Love boarding school. He'll be playing with blocks and hanging out with his parents and the others until the bus comes to get him. Danielle has been potty trained and is learning to talk. Oh, and Laura is pregnant again. Both she and Graham are hoping for another son. **END OF EDIT**

Question: Do NPC's (like mail carriers etc) usually bring 20,000 simoleans with them when they move in, or is that happening because I have lots of mods and things? I wasn't sure, so i didn't keep the money...

You're very brave if you do decide to do the Perfect Genetics thing too, ReyaD! Like klevkin said, it can require an awful lot of kiddies to get an heir..... So you got lucky in this first generation, but who knows how many it may take next generation! :-D

Klevkin, yes, I love Carl's Sims 3 guide! :-D When I switched from playing The Sims 2 to the Sims 3 last Christmas I was amazed by the amount of stuff I didn't know...! It's been absolutely invaluable :-)

Current Households:

- The Underwoods - Laura Underwood (A), Alma Ramsey (E), Graham Underwood (E), Dave Ramsey (A), Marcus Underwood (C), Danielle Ramsey (T), Unborn Baby Underwood (UB)

Current Community Lots:

- None!

Planned Future Community Lots

- Supermarket (or Small Park) (Laura) (8 Gardening/8 Sculpting)
- Bookstore (Alma) (9 Writing)
- Consignment Store (Graham) (10 Sculpting)
- Fishing Spot (Dave) (9 Fishing/6 Photography)
- Undecided; maybe a Graveyard? (Marcus)
- Undecided; maybe a Salon, as she's Artistic (Danielle)
Scholar
#33 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 4:37 AM
I think instead of the full on perfect genetics, I'll try to stick with just the green skin. If I need to have a dozen babies before I get one with green skin, so be it!

Oh and CH. 2 is up. http://evansimslegacy.blogspot.com/...-of-school.html

I'm trying for an update at least once a week, possibly twice. But still unsure about it. At least I have a more or less solid plot for the first few gens of this.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#34 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 5:45 AM
Wanted to give you guys a quick heads up: I'm planning on going though the entire rules again and doing an update soon - mostly rewording things to make what I mean by them easier to understand. Some of the questions and comments you guys have been making have been pointing out to me that some of it isn't as crystal clear as it could be. That said, there's probably not going to be much by the way of actual changes except possibly to the rules regarding moving Sims around - that's one of the subjects I need to clarify better and I'm starting to see where that has high potential of being abused if I don't set some very solid rules for it. It might take me a couple of days though - my other computer hobby is online roleplaying and my website has had a surge of activity over the past few days.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 7:31 AM Last edited by Klevkin : 15th Feb 2012 at 10:48 AM.
Take your time Avalikia :D, not everything has to be perfect from the get go on even the random legacy (that has been around like for ever) still gets changed!

@Laura, you're going strong! I think it will take ages for me to even get where you are right now I'm forcing myself to take my time to write my blog for this challenge. And I also want to play my random one which I had the habit with of updating every day except the weekends....I still want to keep that up

Right, so my starter sim has already made it through the first day got him sculpting, so I can get a consignment store

EDIT: Chapter 1.1 Waking up
Mad Poster
#36 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 12:12 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 15th Feb 2012 at 5:27 PM.
ReyaD - good plan! :-) The skin is cool. Am I right in thinking that skin can't come back in the next generation if a parent doesn't have it - ie can't be inherited from grandparents? I am enjoying your story :-) I think that Maureen's my favourite so far.

Klevkin - Well, it would take me a lot longer if I was writing a story as well - I did start taking photos, but then I got lazy/forgetful - it only lasted about 1 sim day! :-D I did take some of the weddings though. I love wedding photos, be the sim or RL! I'm loving your story - what an awesome start! I'm glad some people have decided to document it properly, I love reading stories but I never have the patience to write them myself, so you'll all have to make do with my randomly long updates in posts I'm afraid.... Or ignore them if you think they're boring! :-D Sculpting is totally a good plan, I reckon, good luck with it! :-) One of my sims has made almost 25,000 simoleans from sculpting - and he was the third adult in the house (ie after my founder and her best friend), so he has only been there a few weeks or so. He does have the Savvy Sculptor trait and the lifetime reward that makes sculptures worth more though..... The best friend, who was the second to move in, is now making over 5,000 per week in royalties from writing novels, which is nice :-) My selfsim and the best friend's husband are a gardener and a fisherman respectively, so they don't make a lot of cash. As I have a mod that stops sims from being able to buy food using the fridge, they need to garden in order to eat! They pretty much live off Autumn Salad and P&J Sandwiches :-D

I know I asked this before, but does anyone know if NPCs like mailmen and pizza delivery people bring 20,000 simoleans when they move in in an unmodded game? I familyfunded the money away, but if it's normal I'll give it back to them - the family could really do with 40,000 simoleans if it's "legal"! :-) I'll ask in the Stupid Questions thread too....

Current Households:

- The Underwoods - Laura Underwood (A), Alma Ramsey (E), Graham Underwood (E), Dave Ramsey (A), Marcus Underwood (Te), Danielle Ramsey (Te), Rebecca Underwood (To), Kayleigh Underwood (To)

Current Community Lots:

- Supermarket (Laura)
- Bookstore (Alma)
- Fishing Spot (Dave)

(I did briefly have a consignment store, but it wouldn't work, so the family sold it and I deleted it from the 'hood and they bought the other three lots instead...)

- Consignment Store (Graham) (10 Sculpting)
- Undecided; maybe a Graveyard? (Marcus)
- Undecided; maybe a Salon, as she's Artistic (Danielle)
- Undecided (Rebecca)
- Undecided (Kayleigh)
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 5:09 PM
First, I really really really like this idea. Seems much more comprehensive than the BACC (build a city), and better tailored to a non-modified/cheated Sims 3 style gameplay. I am definitely going to do this one - soon as I can find/build a world I feel is suitable.

Quote: Originally posted by Avalikia
*- Pets Rabbitholes:
Equestrian Center - Max Riding, and buy (not partner) the rabbit hole. ($115,000)

*- Pets Other Lots:
Dog Park - Must complete the Canine Companion Lifetime Wish, and must purchase the lot.
Cat Jungle - Must complete the Cat Herder Lifetime Wish, and must purchase the lot.
Horse Ranch - Must complete the Jockey Lifetime Wish, and must purchase the lot.

You did not mention the Pet shop.. Granted, it isn't it's own type of lot, but for those of us who got the Limited edition, there should be some guidelines about starting one of those. Perhaps requiring the "Zoologist" achievement (or "Ark Builder") and purchasing the lot?

A note on the combined rabbitholes that came with Pets:
These may also be earned, but one Sim must meet all the skill requirements for the entire rabbithole and purchase the rabbithole if they can, similar to the ones for Late Night - I just don't know what they are or how much any of them cost.

* = Tentative, as I do not have the required expansion and don't know if it's reasonable.

What exact information would you need to figure out specifics for the pets expansion. I have it (actually, have all expansions and stuff packs except the Master Suite one) and would be willing to help you out on those rules, if you'd like? (EDIT: (I read further in the forum thread, and I found more or less what you're looking for, I'll see if I can find out prices/buyability on the pets lots types this afternoon)

Edit:
Okay, I looked into the problem and discovered that a little of my info is a bit out of date. Some of the Ambitions lot types and, somewhat randomly, small parks can't be purchased. Neither can generic Visitors Allowed lots (along with No Visitors Allowed lots) but I expected that. I checked all the others I'm able to get with my expansions, though, and they're buyable. But that's why I specifically stated that I'm still playtesting - this is a big challenge and if I tested all aspects of it for potential problems then it would take a very long time. I probably wouldn't have gotten around to getting a Junkyard for awhile - thanks for that!

Anyway, after pondering upon the problem, I've decided that the best thing to do is make these lots you can't buy free, but be picky about what you are and aren't allowed to have in them. I wouldn't figure that Junkyards would be expensive anyways. I'll update my starting post accordingly, and also add some info for the combined rabbitholes from Late Night. It's my understanding that Generations didn't add any lot types, is that right?

What about using the familyfunds cheat to subtract whatever amount needed for construction (or, at least, a close approximation).. Basically, add up the furniture/amenities costs from the edit town "buy" and "build" mode (or wait, can't you see the lot's value on the info tag in edit town mode?? - I'll see if I can remember to check that too..) That way, you actually DID spend the money to earn the lot - it just simply becomes "community property" - i.e. like you donated it to the town. (No tax write-offs, though.. )

Oh, and @Klevkin:
To put in the rabbithole buildings, all you need to do is (well, after you have the empty lot for it) go to the Buy/Build mode for that lot, and under your "Build" menu, in the upper(ish) right hand side, you'll see a button that looks a bit like a building/stubby skyscraper. All of your community objects / rabbitholes that you can place are in there. (hopefully that explained it well enough). I had trouble with this when I was trying to custom builds some community lots a while back for another challenge - I ended up finding the stuff by clicking on the "Collections" button in Buy Mode - the expansion pack (and the town life stuff pack one) have the rabbit holes buildings in them)

P.s.: one more question. There are some other "rabbit hole" type buildings that can be placed in community lots... (example(s): The "Town Life Stuff" rabbit hole buildings, the buildings I got from the Dr. Pepper caps - like the movie theater and the stadium - and the free (from the Sims store) Ford Focus Sky Diving Center) ... how would you figure out the requirements/buy costs for putting those up? The community objects themselves show up as costing 0 simoleons, and I haven't checked if they're buyable as venues (but I suppose I can..)

So, yeah - to sum up - love the challenge, will check buying prices on the Pets venues (and hopefully the other rabbit hole venues I mentioned as well.. trying to brainstorm a way to do that tho..... guess make a new community lot and just plop one down on it, then go to a rich family and see how much it costs to buy outright or if you can?) ... errr one other teensey question... any ideas of where to get a good world, probably about med size, that isn't going to kill my poor computer with load times, and plenty of spaces to build? .. must... find.. world... I am still waaay too much of a newbie on the build a world to put one together quickly for this, and I want to get started on it in next couple days!!
Mad Poster
#38 Old 15th Feb 2012 at 5:31 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 16th Feb 2012 at 1:22 AM.
Welcome Wyldhawke! :-) This is indeed an awesome challenge, it's seriously a lot of fun, and has really got me hooked on my game (though whether that's a good thing or not is up for debate!) :-D I hope you manage to find a suitable world/map soon so you can get started! I used Sunset Valley 2 , by Magic_Dancer, which has lots of flat spaces for building, though it is a large world.....

In my game, one of my sims died of old age. RIP Alma Ramsey! She was a writer, so it's bye-bye to all those royalties now, blah! :-( Oh, and a stray cat randomly died on the porch, so he (she?) is also buried in the orchard, next to Alma. The household is about to buy a graveyard though, with a pet section, so they'll both be moved to there soon.

Graham Underwood (my selfsim's husband) has now also died. Laura, devastated by the death of her husband and wanting a friend around the house, asked consignment store salesperson Luke Lindley to move in with them, which he did.

Marcus and Danielle got married today, at Dave Ramsey Falls. It was a nice wedding, and Laura is already waiting for grandchildren to materialise! :-) Wedding photos can be viewed here, and there is an engagement photo here.

Current Households:

- The Underwoods - Laura Underwood (E), Dave Ramsey (E), Luke Lindley (A), Marcus Underwood (YA), Danielle Ramsey Underwood (YA), Rebecca Underwood (Te), Kayleigh Underwood (Te)

Current Community Lots:

- Supermarket (Laura)
- Bookstore (Alma)
- Fishing Spot (Dave)
- Consignment Store (Graham)
- Graveyard (Kayleigh)
- Laundrette (Rebecca)
- Military Base (Luke)

- Junkyard (Marcus) (Inventing 8)
- Undecided; maybe a Salon, as she's Artistic, or one of the clubs that requires one instrument to be maxed + one celebrity star (Danielle) (Painting 3, Guitar 7)
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 3:56 AM
Oh, I like that Sunset Valley 2! I found another called Horse Head Island on the exchange, quite a bit smaller, and has a couple of non-empty lots, but still a very nice one... http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail...assetId=4864581

.. Now to create my first sim and off I go!
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 9:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
Klevkin - Well, it would take me a lot longer if I was writing a story as well - I did start taking photos, but then I got lazy/forgetful - it only lasted about 1 sim day! :-D I did take some of the weddings though. I love wedding photos, be the sim or RL! I'm loving your story - what an awesome start! I'm glad some people have decided to document it properly, I love reading stories but I never have the patience to write them myself, so you'll all have to make do with my randomly long updates in posts I'm afraid.... Or ignore them if you think they're boring! :-D Sculpting is totally a good plan, I reckon, good luck with it! :-) One of my sims has made almost 25,000 simoleans from sculpting - and he was the third adult in the house (ie after my founder and her best friend), so he has only been there a few weeks or so. He does have the Savvy Sculptor trait and the lifetime reward that makes sculptures worth more though..... The best friend, who was the second to move in, is now making over 5,000 per week in royalties from writing novels, which is nice :-) My selfsim and the best friend's husband are a gardener and a fisherman respectively, so they don't make a lot of cash. As I have a mod that stops sims from being able to buy food using the fridge, they need to garden in order to eat! They pretty much live off Autumn Salad and P&J Sandwiches :-D

Thanks for reading my story I'm glad you loved it ;D I was actually quite excited to write it hehe, now hoping I can keep it up You can always post the pictures you do take here to go with your updates! It's fun to read yours as well
Sculpting for my sim is currently only used to replace the stove every time he sets it on fire...(on purpose). How come your consignment store wasn't working?
Oh! I think I came across that mod, and I was tempted to use it! It's much more realistic! Thought the self stocking fridge fitted into the story for me
So have you got them all living in one house? Friends and family?? Isn't that incredibly confusing?? and busy?

And welcome Wyldhawke, thanks for your explanation as well! I might use it very quickly.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 3:41 PM
Oh, that looks like a cute little world Wyldhawke - quite a bit smaller than Sunset Valley 2 as well, I'm sure your computer will appreciate that! :-) Good luck with the challenge! Have you made your starting sim yet?

I hope you do keep it up Klevkin! :-) If I take any photos I try to remember to post them in the right Pictures thread and link them - I mainly take wedding and engagement ones, so I hope that plenty of people post their pictures in the Weddings and Couples threads so I can keep posting mine! :-D

Haha, bless. Lucky he learned how to make a stove then! I don't know why the consignment store wasn't working - the game wasn't assigning a cashier to the consignment store register. I tried moving the lot, deleting it and replacing it, waiting for (sim) days, all to no avail. Eventually I gave up. Later on I tried again, as they had enough money for one just before Graham died, so it was my last chance for him to earn a community lot, and with the help of Twallan's Register mod I managed to get it working :-) Yay!

I love the fridge mod, it does make way more sense to me. It makes it a bit of a struggle at the beginning though - lots of pizza until my sim fortunately found a lettuce seed and was able to build gardening skill taking care of that plant until she reached level 1 and got some free seeds. Now she has a nice little garden, with 7 Perfect species of plant, and her son Marcus has reached level 7 in Gardening ready to take it over when she dies. I've never had a selfsim die before, I'm not sure I like it! :-( The self-stocking fridge does work well for your story, I liked it :-)

Yes, everyone lives in the same house so they could earn money and community lots. Originally it was just Laura, then her friend Alma moved in, then Laura's future husband Graham and then Alma's future husband Dave. The two couples got married, and Laura & Graham had 3 children (Marcus, Rebecca & Kayleigh) and Alma & Dave had one (Danielle). The children went off to boarding school, which helped. Now Alma and Graham are dead and Laura and Dave will die soon too. After Graham died Laura moved her friend Luke in. Marcus and Danielle are now young adults, and just got married. Rebecca will be back soon too, and Kayleigh three days later. So it's a full house, though I do have plans for people to move out fairly soon - and Laura and Graham will die soon, like I said, which should free up some space! (but still, waaaah, soon-to-be-dead selfsim!) :-D

I'm still totally loving this challenge. Can you all tell? :-D
Test Subject
#42 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 3:47 PM
This sounds like a very interesting and fun Challenge. Somehow I think I have the time to try this one as well and have started it up. Not sure that I will get any kind of a story going but I'm taking lots of pictures just in case the muse hits...

I'm using Rflong7's Horse head Island that Wyldhawke posted. I've had it since she built it, but hadn't ever played it. I'm a bit busy finishing up worlds for upload to Pars so emptying one of my own just yet isn't an option.

My sim got rather lucky his first day on the island. I'm using clone of a game born sim from a long ago Legacy. He was able to find 3 paparazzi on a vacant residential lot the first night and the next morning met the mail lady. I got rather lucky that of the first 4 sims the world spawned 3 were female and fairly attractive. He quickly wooed the mail carrier, Cristina, and they were married within the first few sim days. I'm not sure what I will do about the other 2 sims he knows, if I will invite them in and move them into their own home or not. I think I should wait until there are a few work options around town or they my just starve and move away

I've not decided if Brandon will unlock the supermarket or the consignment store yet. Christina wants to raise horses which I found humorous considering the name of the world

Mathews Random Legacy (current Legacy)
Mad Poster
#43 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 4:20 PM
Welcome to the challenge simbody872! :-) It is indeed a lot of fun - it suits me very well, anyway, so hopefully you'll enjoy it too. Sounds like you really got lucky with the number of females around - my sim really struggled to find men at first, but when she befriended and moved in the mailwoman she was replaced by a mailman who became my founder's husband. Took a while though! :-) Both the consignment store and the supermarket are very useful, but to be honest there are loads of ways to start of this challenge and I'm sure they could all work! That's one of the things that makes it so fun - so many possibilities and options thoughout the entire challenge. I love it! I hope that you do manage a story, because I like reading them, but if you're anything like me you can always just stick with posting updates and maybe the odd picture (or posting pictures to the relevant Pictures threads and linking them here) - I love reading about what's going on in other people's games, especially when they're doing the same challenge. Already there's a lot of variation - everyone has such different ideas! :-)

Incidentally, Avalikia, I kind of partly made up my own rule about placing wedding arches on community lots, because I really wanted Marcus & Danielle to marry at Dave Ramsey Falls, which is a fishing spot. My rules state that a wedding arch and a few chairs can go on any owned community lot, as long as the owners can afford to pay for them, but full wedding receptions with cake and a buffet table and dancing can only be held at ________ lots. Now I just need to fill in the blank! I was thinking maybe Big Parks, or Clubs of some kind. Thoughts, anyone? Clubs does kind of make sense (like holding a wedding at a hotel or something in real life), but I do like outdoor weddings, with lots of greenery or on a beach! So I'm not sure.....
Scholar
#44 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 5:00 PM
I need to start this, like, yesterday. So when I forget to update my legacy in the future, it's totally ReyaD's fault.

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Forum Resident
#45 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 5:11 PM
I am trying this out as well.
I was doing another challenge with a vampire clan where you start out on a 64 X 64 lot, but I can't seem to find the challenge anymore and don't remember the rules of it, so I need to find another challenge to play.

I am also using Sunset Valley 2, and hoping I can eventually make a city part for it, but it might look a little off.

One thing I love about these challenges is that they sort of remind me of Sim City. I was wondering if you would mind maybe listing the mods that are alright to use or alternatively, not use? I usually have all of NRASS's mods and I am not sure if it has anything in there that would make this challenge easier. I also use Awesome Mod.

I'm a little confused with the adding sims though. So, are you eventually allowed to make sims in CAS as long as you immediately move them to a fully furnished house? Or do the sims all have to come biologically from the founding sims? Sorry, was a little confused on that part.

I can't wait to start playing this challenge. Will you be updating it for when Showtime comes out in a few weeks as well?
Mad Poster
#46 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 5:13 PM
Is it bad that reading this thread right now has actually made me feel kind of sad that I am going out tonight (to go to a pub quiz with my boyfriend and some friends and to get free food as we won the quiz last week) because I'd quite like to stay in and play the Underwoods for a few hours? :-D

Welcome Zokugai! We seem to be acquiring quite a few random legacy people, which I approve of. You're a fun and talkative bunch - unfortunately the random legacy challenge just didn't suit the way I play or I would've joined you all on that thread! :-)

And welcome Birdfly! Sunset Valley 2 is a nice world to use, I have found, because it has plenty of flat space! And it's quite nicely laid out, I think, with a farming bit and a more central bit. I'm enjoying it. My "city" has 7 community lots now, and one house - I'll have to post a picture at some point. If I understand the rules correctly, you can not make any sims in CAS apart from the initial sim (your founder, so to speak). Other than that all sims must either be born into or moved into the family (and moved out into their own house if you want). So not all sims will be related to your founder - for example, in my game, my founder married the mailman and had children with him, but also moved in her friend the mailwoman and a paparazzi and the two of them had a child too, who was not related to my founder.
Inventor
#47 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 5:18 PM
Welp - after multiple mentions in the Random Legacy thread; I'll be starting this one within a week or so. And here I thought I wouldn't have anymore distractions from schoolwork. ; )

"Goonies never say die."
Scholar
#48 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 6:04 PM
Yay! We've got Giga! *Does a happy dance*

Oh, and Zoku. But she never updates. (Yes I know that was a cheap shot. Deal with it. You know I love you <3)

I'm using the suburb version of Bakafox's Morikipo Island, which she gave to me before its official released so I could use it for my third random legacy. I'll probably still use it for my next legacy as well because I just fell in love with the feel of it. So isolated but so beautiful.

I'm just amazed that I managed to get all 25 accquaintances for the charisma skill so early on in the game. Apparently pets from other households work to that total as well. One of my other families had a neighborhood adoption with one mama dog and three pups and that got me to 24 (Turning Pat into a real boy got me to 25).

Also I notice this hasn't been mentioned yet but holy cow star gazing can be pretty lucrative. Jarret was making sometimes 700 simoleons with each new sighting. Satellites only got around 100 simoleons, but I still make SO much money from him every day.

Scholar
#49 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 7:30 PM
Hey, hey, I totally updated when I said I would last night. At least Altin hasn't killed four people. Or was it five? Six?

I'm using Hammond Island, mostly because it was the easiest to strip all the lots out of, with how small it is. I've noticed its metal and minor pets spawners seem to be working in overtime, though, so I just won't pick up those. My "founder" is also a teenager for story purposes, but with as *(#@!$%@*&@ OBNOXIOUS as the curfew police are being, and the fact that I spent literally all of my starting funds building the shell of the house, I think I've negated any possible advantage that could give me.

I've been having silly little "Oh, no, I can't sell these fish, my roll is criminal, not angler--oh wait, nevermind" moments nonstop. Too much random legacy.

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Scholar
#50 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zokugai
I've been having silly little "Oh, no, I can't sell these fish, my roll is criminal, not angler--oh wait, nevermind" moments nonstop. Too much random legacy.

OMG I KNOW RIGHT?

"Oh sweet Boyden just found a diamond, shame I can't sell it cause Ginger's a writer- ... Waaait a second. SWEET!"

Although when I sell produce/fish/art pieces I still feel like I'm cheating or something. Holy crap. The Random Legacy has such a hold over my mind. O_O

You're just jealous that Rainy was a murderous hoe-bag and STILL has fans. (And his death total was 3 - Tempest, Adalyn and Cynthia -. 4 if you count Sky since her life ran out once his did).

Page 2 of 39