Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 6:40 AM
You are a lifesaver! I watched tons of CAW tutorials and was so hyped to download it, needless to say my heart was smashed when I kept getting the error. Thanks to this my heart has reinflated, and I'm so exicted to try CAW out!
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 1:54 PM
Ooookay guys .... is it me being too stupid again or what? Edited *.ini as requested, CAW loaded just fine. Went to EIG. Saved in EIG. Now CAW's unable to load that file. Did it simply mess up while saving or is this version related? Anyone else tried loading a world after editing it in EIG after the *.ini change?
Forum Resident
#28 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 5:57 PM Last edited by auntielynds : 10th Aug 2011 at 6:10 PM.
Alan_Gast,
I just recently reinstalled everything, and now all my DD's are in Programs/Origins Games folder, instead of Electronic Arts.

Edit:
I haven't actually had to do this because I have TL, but It's my understanding you only have to change the numbers in the latestEP you have installed. Am I understanding this correctly?
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/po...18.page#6015610

Rockerduck
That happened to me, but when I had patched to 1.24, and had Caw version 1.11.10, and no Town Life installed.
Forum Resident
#29 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 6:12 PM
No, I just thought that might be where your files are. I edited my last post while you were responding.
Instructor
#30 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 7:57 PM
CAW is so much fun, isn't it? .......

@ auntielynds

How did you resolve the issue? Were you at all able to? I managed to successfully export the world, but I need to be able to edit it in CAW or I'll throw a tantrum. Importing it into an empty world file also didn't work.
Test Subject
#31 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 8:10 PM Last edited by simsample : 12th Aug 2011 at 3:40 AM. Reason: Removed large and unnecessary quote
was having same problem and i got with a support from ea on this issue
Okay i just got through going over this with a support technician from EA (we spent a few hours working on this, he was very patient and understanding, kudos EA tech support ).
If you are receiving this error its because at some point over the last few updates one of them did not load correctly. What they said to do was make a copy of your save file to your desk top and then uninstall all sim3 content. Next reload original sims3, after it has done reloading make sure it updates. Shut down sims3 and then start the program again and check again to see if it needs to update. If it does then do so at that time. Once all updates are complete then download world creator. check to see if it loads once the download is complete. Once you are finished with this update again, then download your expansions remember download original game first, fully update game, download sim3 world creator, fully update, and then download any expansions one at a time and update between each download. i did this and everything is now working beautifully, it even fixed some glitches i had been getting in-game. <~~ happy gamer
p.s. you do not need to remove origin for this to work
Forum Resident
#32 Old 10th Aug 2011 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rockerduck
CAW is so much fun, isn't it? .......

@ auntielynds

How did you resolve the issue? Were you at all able to? I managed to successfully export the world, but I need to be able to edit it in CAW or I'll throw a tantrum. Importing it into an empty world file also didn't work.

You're not gonna like the answer, I installed Town Life, and Caw 1.11.12, which is the most recent version.

Quote: Originally posted by Alan_Gast
EDIT 2: Egads! Foiled again! Everything is on '12 9' compatibility, but the launcher keeps on opening instead of edit in game.

That's from not having Generations installed
This is the work around for the Generations patch issue
http://www.the-isz.com/nraas/index....17489#msg17 489

babyzebra,
So, it sounds like the order in which they're installed is the culprit? That's good to know.
Thank you for posting
Test Subject
#33 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 10:47 AM
Default Another thanks :)
Yaay! Thank you! You're so helpful all of you! Sorry :O I just had to say thanks But, If only I knew how to code, then I could make an auto update update updater! Like... after you installed the newest patch of Sims 3, you just had to click this program and it would automatically fix the files... it would be cool... it's not needed that much though :O
Instructor
#34 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 5:12 PM
@ auntielynds

Well, duh. I didn't know there was an updated version of CAW ... again. It pretends it has updated now, let's see how that goes. *crosses fingers* Thank you for your info, I'll be a happy Duck once I can load my worlds again. Heh! :D
Test Subject
#35 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 7:48 PM
Thank you so much guys! I've been uninstalling/reinstalling stuff all day in hopes of getting CAW to work, and now it's finally up and running.

The only problem now is that I backed up the world file that I was working on before I installed Generations (which was the point where all the compatibility got screwed up) and now that I've copied it back into the CAW folders, it's unable to open it. I assume this is because it's not compatible with the new version of the game, but is there anything I can do to restore the file? I've spent WEEKS working on that world and it'd be a shame to lose the whole thing.

EDIT: Never mind. As a last ditch effort I copied all the backup files for the world into the new CAW folder, and I'm not sure how that made a difference, but it's working now.
Forum Resident
#36 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 9:42 PM
Gryffindork, (such a funny name,lol)

Do you have any backups of the file? Maybe I could try and open them. I have had this happen, where they will open on one of my computers, and not the other. Very Fickle. Either upload and link here, or you can PM me the link.

Edit, never mind then.
Test Subject
#37 Old 11th Aug 2011 at 10:23 PM
Thank you so much!!! I will never understand why it should always have to fall on the shoulders of the players to fix features that EA can not maintain but I can accept it as long as geniuses like yourself are around to save the day
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#38 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 3:43 AM
Thank you for all of the information, guys- it's very useful to know what's working and not working.

Thanks babyzebra78602 for the new information!
Test Subject
#39 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 4:47 AM
auntielynds: Thanks for offering to help! I would've taken you up on that if it hadn't opened the second time around. I'm just so glad it decided to work. CAW does seem really picky--you never know what random error it's going to throw at you next. Hopefully when it gets out of the beta stage they'll smooth some things out. :P
Test Subject
#40 Old 13th Aug 2011 at 10:34 PM
Default The sims 3 caw
For some reason whenever I try to save the the thing it says cannot find the path of where it's going
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#41 Old 13th Aug 2011 at 10:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joseph_marler123
For some reason whenever I try to save the the thing it says cannot find the path of where it's going

When you try to save what thing?
Test Subject
#42 Old 14th Aug 2011 at 5:11 AM
hey,

I tried doing what kiritra said but when i tried saving the file i got access denied like rainviolet i worked out the permissions (finally) but it still wont let me save the notepad to change it, WHY????? I just want my CAW to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Instructor
#43 Old 14th Aug 2011 at 5:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by johncenababie
hey,

I tried doing what kiritra said but when i tried saving the file i got access denied like rainviolet i worked out the permissions (finally) but it still wont let me save the notepad to change it, WHY????? I just want my CAW to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the forum.

Because you said you have this problem, I'm guessing you are using either Windows Vista or 7.

Basically, it's because of permissions and UAC (User Account Control). While UAC is inherently a good thing, it can require you to work around stuff (mainly so any changes under the "Program Files" directory are things YOU want, not some nasty virus or malware program).

Anyway, here's a way to get around the problem:

1. Copy the file you want to edit to some location under "My Documents" or even the desktop. Doesn't matter where, as long as you can easily find it later.

2. Make the edits you want to make. Save.

3. Copy the file you edited (and made in step 1) back into the appropriate directory. It will ask you if you want to allow this. Say yes.

4. Voila! You should be done.
Test Subject
#44 Old 14th Aug 2011 at 6:23 PM
I finally got my CAW working but how do i fix the EIG? I can save fine but i can't see the world itself. When i zoom out the screen becomes grey but if i zoom in a certain distance i can see it. but its too close for me to really see where i am within it.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#45 Old 14th Aug 2011 at 10:36 PM
Forum Resident
#46 Old 15th Aug 2011 at 11:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by johncenababie
I finally got my CAW working but how do i fix the EIG? I can save fine but i can't see the world itself. When i zoom out the screen becomes grey but if i zoom in a certain distance i can see it. but its too close for me to really see where i am within it.

Are you editing a premade world? I had same problem ages ago when I started playing with the vacation premades, it seems custom inis borks it for EIG on all EPs (for me at least), I solved it by reinporting the original inis and all was well otherwise I wouldn't know whats causing it. for you :P

Disclaimer: These are the personally, personal opinions of me, myself and I. Yours may vary.
Terms & conditions do not apply
Forum Resident
#47 Old 16th Aug 2011 at 2:03 PM
Just tried it an OMG it works. For the sake of changing two values within a file? EA should be shot for not doing it...........

Disclaimer: These are the personally, personal opinions of me, myself and I. Yours may vary.
Terms & conditions do not apply
Instructor
#48 Old 16th Aug 2011 at 4:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by missy harries
Just tried it an OMG it works. For the sake of changing two values within a file? EA should be shot for not doing it...........

*snickers* I'm sooo with you.
Test Subject
#49 Old 18th Aug 2011 at 10:12 PM
So...i changed that part of the default file for generations and now CAW loads for a second and then vanishes.
Forum Resident
#50 Old 18th Aug 2011 at 10:18 PM
I had the same problem, and then I remembered reading something about "Virtual Memory" on this thread;
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=441595

To clear your virtual memory;
Virtual Store Files:
C:\Users
{Username}
AppData
Local
VirtualStore
Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts
The Sims 3 Create a World Tool

and:
C:\Users