Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#26 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 8:57 PM
It affects the entire career. Keep in mind that any sim that already has a career outfit will keep it until it's reset.
Advertisement
Retired
retired moderator
#27 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 5:24 PM
Why had I never discovered this tool before! Here come Steampunk service sims for Port Piston! You and your genius, CmarNYC, just created a lot more work for me.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#28 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 10:17 PM
LOL, thanks, I think. BTW I'm planning to do a complete rework of this tool with a preview window like in CTU and maybe letting you set up the colors/patterns in the tool, but it'll be a while before that's done.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 25th Mar 2012 at 2:54 AM

Sorry for being a bit dense, but after creating the outfit file, how do I make it so that my game will use my custom "career_businesscasual_male.outfit" file instead of it's own "career_businesscasual_male.outfit" file? i.e. where do I put the .outfit file? I attempted to import the .outfit file with S3PE to make it into a .package to put in my mods/packages folder, but S3PE didn't like it, and I didn't understand how the game would "find" the outfit.

Also, when using CC CASPS, you simply need to have the CC installed normally in your game, in the mods/packages folder, correct? That alone will allow the outfit to "find" the other resources (bump maps, textures, VXPYs) related to that CC piece?

Clearly, I'm a bit confused. Thank you so, so much for making this tool.

--elan

Traits: Computer Whiz, Over-Emotional, Genius, Ambitious, Good
Favorites: Grilled Cheese, Indie, Violet
Sign: Cancer
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#30 Old 25th Mar 2012 at 2:41 PM
No problem... Bear with me, it's been a while since I worked with this.

The program uses the outfit name to generate a TGI with the hashed name as the instance, and names the file with the TGI and the outfit name, ex: S3_025ed6f4_00000000_B847CBC1B198188E_tmTattooUnderwear.outfit

When creating the outfit, name it "career_businesscasual_male" (for example), using the same name that's in the career xml for the career step you're working with. (For a custom career you would make up a new name and use that in both the xml and the SimOutfitter program.) You should be able to import the resulting outfit file right into S3PE as long as you don't change the name. What error did you get with s3pe?

Install the package as usual and the game finds the outfit by hashing the outfit name in the career xml and finding the .outfit resource by its TGI. BTW, it's the same exact process for NPC outfits, special outfits like SkinnyDippingTowel, etc.

Yes, with a CC CASP you just have to have it installed normally. If it uses EA textures and whatnot, the game will find them. If it uses custom textures, etc., they have to be installed as well. For a complete custom career outfit, the best way is probably to package the .outfit together with the CC CASPs and any supporting textures and so on.

Hope this helps!
Test Subject
#31 Old 8th May 2012 at 11:03 PM
Default Custom Career Outfits
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
No problem... Bear with me, it's been a while since I worked with this.

The program uses the outfit name to generate a TGI with the hashed name as the instance, and names the file with the TGI and the outfit name, ex: S3_025ed6f4_00000000_B847CBC1B198188E_tmTattooUnderwear.outfit

When creating the outfit, name it "career_businesscasual_male" (for example), using the same name that's in the career xml for the career step you're working with. (For a custom career you would make up a new name and use that in both the xml and the SimOutfitter program.) You should be able to import the resulting outfit file right into S3PE as long as you don't change the name. What error did you get with s3pe?

Install the package as usual and the game finds the outfit by hashing the outfit name in the career xml and finding the .outfit resource by its TGI. BTW, it's the same exact process for NPC outfits, special outfits like SkinnyDippingTowel, etc.

Yes, with a CC CASP you just have to have it installed normally. If it uses EA textures and whatnot, the game will find them. If it uses custom textures, etc., they have to be installed as well. For a complete custom career outfit, the best way is probably to package the .outfit together with the CC CASPs and any supporting textures and so on.

Hope this helps!

Do you mind making a tutorial for your tool? It's awesome btw. I just don't know how to start at all. Help!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#32 Old 9th May 2012 at 2:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BajanEmpress
Do you mind making a tutorial for your tool? It's awesome btw. I just don't know how to start at all. Help!

I'm planning to make a more user-friendly version eventually, one that will show you a preview, allow selection of presets, and package everything up for you; and will write a tutorial for that. The steps for this version are:

Use CTU to find the clothing you want to use - top and bottom or body, shoes, accessories, maybe hair. Set up the colors and patterns you want in the first preset. Save as a new package.
(If using custom clothing, open the package with CTU and do the same as above.)
Open your new package with S3PE and export the CASP. You can delete the new package after this.
Repeat for all the parts for the outfit you want to create.
When all your CASPs are ready, run the Outfitter tool. Type in your outfit name, which for careers and NPCs, etc., should match the outfit name in the career/NPC XML file. Select the correct age(s) and gender. (Young Adult and Adult can usually be combined.)
Click 'Add CAS Parts' on the menu and select one of your CASPs. Repeat to add all your CASPs.
Click File and save your new outfit file.
Use S3PE to import the SIMO outfit file. If you're using custom clothing and/or custom patterns, you'll also have to either have the custom stuff installed or import the contents of the custom packages to your outfit package.
Install as usual.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 19th Aug 2012 at 6:08 PM
This lookslike a nifty tool, but, for the life of me, I cannot find the CASP files. I thought I'd be clever and took my sim to CAS and dressed him in the outfit I want to create as a career outfit. I used "Share" to package each item as a Sims3Pack, then opened with the launcher. I then tried opening the .package file from the DCBackup folder in s3pe, but couldn't see any CASP references. Even tried opening the .package file with CTU, but it gave me the message "No CAS Part file can be found in this package." Where the heck do I find the CAS part or whatever I need to use the Outfitter? As you can tell, I'm totally out of my league here, but would really like to learn how to use this tool.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#34 Old 19th Aug 2012 at 6:16 PM
I dunno if this is helpful to what you are trying to do, but you can clone CASParts in s3oc. At the very least you will see what you're choosing and end up with a CASP in your package. If you untick the "renumber" option when cloning, it will be as if you found all the packed resources yourself in s3pe.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#35 Old 19th Aug 2012 at 7:00 PM
Inge gave a very good suggestion.

Something I've been thinking of doing is a new version of this tool which would let you put a sim in the outfit and optionally hair and makeup you want in-game (just like you did), save the sim to the bin, then run the tool on that saved sim. Can't give you a time when I'll get to it, though.
Field Researcher
#36 Old 24th Aug 2012 at 1:15 AM
Eureka! I found the CASP part files in the Fullbuild0 file! I'm trying to create career outfits for a custom Army career, so I'm able to use most all of the EA base game Military career parts (just converting the "air force" to “army”). However, I can't get the outfits to show up properly in game. I keep getting bizarre substitutes. In rereading the above posts, I think my problem concerns creating the custom design in CTU and getting it into Outfitter correctly to create the SIMO files in my custom career package.

I'm planning on creating three basic outfits for am, af, ef and em, and an additional "special" outfit for af and ef at level 7. Allow me use my Level 1, adult male uniform as my example. There are three components I wish to use for this outfit. The CASP part files I exported from the Fullbuild0 file are: S3_034AEECB_00000000_7D05EEEC385439A0_amBodyAirForceRecruit%%+CASP.caspart; S3_034AEECB_00000000_665311C5A4E5F43B_amShoesFullLowHeelBoot00_bootMilitaryLeather%%+CASP.caspart; and S3_034AEECB_00000000_CE917D45FECF2F26_amHairMilitaryCap%%+CASP.caspart.

I used CTU to create an additional Design for each of the parts, making them "army" verses "air force." Here's where I'm running into my problem. In your OP, you said, “…if there's more than one preset in the CASP you'll have to pick which one...." But if I’m not using the presets in the CASP, but want to create a new design, do I need to keep those other presets in the CASP then add my design as I would if adding another design directly in CAS? For example, the military boot CASP has four EA presets. Would I create a fifth design then save the entire file as a .package file, then export the CASP from this file using S3PE to use in Outfitter? I did notice that a popup window appeared every now and then in Outfitter which allowed me to choose a preset by number, but I was confused as to which designs the presets pointed to. I am further confused by your statement in post #32 when you say, “Use CTU to find the clothing you want to use …. Set up the colors and patterns you want in the first [emphasis mine] preset. Save as a new package." This seems to contradict what you said in the OP and sounds as if you mean I would delete any existing designs from the CASP when in CTU and create my design as Design #1. What am I missing here? I think that if I can correctly create the .package file here, the rest of the process should go smoothly since all I have to do is export the CASP from this package and add it into Outfitter. Ostensibly, that CASP should be correct if I created it correctly in CTU.

Quote: Originally posted by cameranutz2
Anyone else having issues with af shoes? I can add any other CASP file without a problem but not the af shoes.

I also had an issue with the af shoes not loading into Outfitter. The CASP file I used was S3_034AEECB_00000000_D4F616BEBB93B7D8_afShoesAnkleALowHeelBoot00_oxfordUtilityLeather%%+CASP.caspart from the Fullbuild0 file which I used in CTU to create the CASP for Outfitter.

Whew! Sorry for the verbosity, but I really want to learn how to use Outfitter correctly. Thanks!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#37 Old 25th Aug 2012 at 2:07 AM
Presets: If you need to create your own preset it doesn't matter if you add yours or replace one of the EA ones. All you need to do is use CTU to do your design, note down which preset it is (first, second, etc.) save as a package; then export the CASP from the package and import it into Outfitter. If the CASP has more than one preset Outfitter will prompt you to choose which one is the one you want. At that point the preset information is stored in the SIMO file. If you're working with EA clothing you can then discard the edited CASP. (If you're using custom clothing, you'll have to bundle the clothing package/contents with the career or tell people to download it, but again you can use a preset that you've set up specially and imported into Outfitter but is not one of the default clothing presets.)

I'm not sure why I said in that post to use the FIRST preset - maybe I was trying to make it clearer/easier? Admittedly it's a pretty confusing process and I'm wanting even more to just redo the whole thing.

Could you give some details of what's going wrong when you try to load the shoes? Are you getting an error message or what happens? A screen grab of any message or whatever would be helpful.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 25th Aug 2012 at 2:57 AM
When I tried loading the shoes, the cursor began to idle and the application basically froze. I received no type of error message or any other indication of what was happening. It was like when you get that "Not Responding" message, only, ya know, without the message. I knew something was up because the other files loaded instantly, even the heels. Thanks for all of your help. I may be an old dog, but I can still learn new tricks!
Field Researcher
#39 Old 26th Aug 2012 at 9:45 PM Last edited by mflaha55 : 1st Sep 2012 at 3:08 PM.
Well, I'm totally baffled! I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've re-done the entire process (several times) to create the outfit files, and they're still not showing in game, only some bizarre substitutes. (see images here and here )

Would you be so kind as to take a look at the .zip file I've attached which contains the CASP parts files (dated 8/20) exported from the Fullbuild0 file which I used to create the two uniform outfits in the above images, the .package files created by CTU after I added my newly designed parts, the CASP part files exported from the CTU package files via s3pe, and the outfit files created in Outfitter from these latter CASP files. I'm not savvy enough to discern whether there is anything funky about any of the files created throughout the process to tell me where the problem may lie. I sure could use your !

Many, many thanks for all of the help you've provided and for this great tool!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Custom Career Outfit.zip (36.3 KB, 46 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Contains files used to create custom outfits for a custom career
Test Subject
#40 Old 9th Sep 2012 at 7:45 PM
Default Shoes revisited
I also had a bit of a problem adding shoes to an outfit file (the shoes in question are afShoesSandalLowFlatNatural01_sandalStrappyLeather, for the record) where the program got stuck when I tried to import the relevant .caspart file. That's just for info, though, this is a great idea and as I'm quickly learning, this sort of customisation of Sims 3 seems pretty hairy!
Test Subject
#41 Old 10th Sep 2012 at 10:01 AM
Just to follow-up my own post, after faffing about for a while I discovered that the problem doesn't seem to affect everything, and I loaded up afShoesLowHeel_opentoeBuckle without any problems. I tried using S3PE to figure out the differences between the two but the only conclusion I could arrive at is that I'm completely out of my depth...
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#42 Old 10th Sep 2012 at 4:47 PM
I really apologize for not following up on this sooner - I got distracted and it completely slipped my mind. I hate to leave people hanging so never hesitate to shoot me a PM if you think I've forgotten about something.

@mflaha55: Your outfits are just fine. The problem is that CTU exported the CASPs you used with new TGIs - by default it seems to treat them as new clothing instead of default replacements. All I had to do was put your CTU-generated packages in my game and the outfits showed up correctly. If you were to open FullBuild0 with S3PE or S3OC as Inge suggested and extract/clone the CASPs directly with no change to the TGI, this wouldn't happen but then you wouldn't be able to set up the presets. I think you could clone without renumbering using S3OC and then edit the presets with CTU, though. I've noted this in the OP. (I could swear this didn't happen when I was first working with outfits - possible an update to CTU??)

@vometia and everyone else having problems importing some CASPs, especially shoes - this was of course a stupid coding error and the fixed version of SimOutfitter is now available for download in the OP of this thread. The problem happened only with CASPs with very long part names, which is why it seemed random.

Again, apologies for seeming to ignore this!
Screenshots
Test Subject
#43 Old 10th Sep 2012 at 7:06 PM
It works! Thanks very much: that's great customer service. :D
Field Researcher
#44 Old 16th Sep 2012 at 5:24 PM Last edited by mflaha55 : 16th Sep 2012 at 7:14 PM.
I really apologize for not following up on this sooner - I got distracted and it completely slipped my mind. I hate to leave people hanging so never hesitate to shoot me a PM if you think I've forgotten about something.

When I saw that patch 1.38 was out, I knew you'd be busy with updates, so no problem on the response delay.

@mflaha55: Your outfits are just fine. The problem is that CTU exported the CASPs you used with new TGIs - by default it seems to treat them as new clothing instead of default replacements. All I had to do was put your CTU-generated packages in my game and the outfits showed up correctly. If you were to open FullBuild0 with S3PE or S3OC as Inge suggested and extract/clone the CASPs directly with no change to the TGI, this wouldn't happen but then you wouldn't be able to set up the presets. I think you could clone without renumbering using S3OC and then edit the presets with CTU, though. I've noted this in the OP. (I could swear this didn't happen when I was first working with outfits - possible an update to CTU??)...Again, apologies for seeming to ignore this!

You're right that the problem is with the CTU (I have CTU version 1.9.3569.25056). I tried extracting the CASPs directly and then added my customizations as an added design using the CTU and saving. Didn't work. Then tried cloning each CASP with S3OC and unchecking the "Renumber/rename internally" box just to be sure, added my customizations as an added design using the CTU and saving. Still didn't work. When I assembled the outfits with your Outfitter tool using the the CASPs directly from the Fullbuild0 file, using EA presets, and placed them in my Custom Career file, the outfits for each career level showed up properly in the game, reinforcing the conclusion that the CTU is the problem. So the question now becomes, what must I do to have my customized CAS parts show up properly?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#45 Old 16th Sep 2012 at 11:29 PM
That's actually pretty easy I think - when you import the CASP in Outfitter, it asks you if the Group ID and Instance ID are correct. You can change them in that screen to the values for the EA CASP, which you can get from your copies extracted by S3PE and I think S3OC displays them too. Outfitter should then add the CASP using the correct EA numbers, and copy the preset from your modified CASP.

You can also change the TGI in the filename of the CASP to the EA ID numbers. (S3_<type>_<group>_<instance>.caspart) Outfitter reads the CASP TGI from the filename. Argg, that's so obvious I can't believe I didn't think of it before you wasted your time fiddling with this.

You can display the TGIs of the parts in your outfit by clicking File / List Outfit Info.

Please let me know if it works!
Field Researcher
#46 Old 18th Sep 2012 at 2:03 AM
Woo-hoo-hoo! It worked! I changed the Instance ID in Outfitter to the EA CASPart Instance ID as you suggested. Worked like a charm and is really simple to do. I believe your suggestion to change the TGI in the file name will work as well. I'll try that later and let you know.

Thank you so much for hanging in there with me. I was really bummed that I couldn't seem to get my customized outfit into my custom career. This opens whole new vistas!
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#47 Old 18th Sep 2012 at 2:14 AM
Thanks for letting me know!
Field Researcher
#48 Old 19th Sep 2012 at 1:31 AM
Just to follow up: I also tested changing the TGI in the filename of the CASP to the EA ID numbers, and that worked even better because then I didn't have to change the Instance ID everytime I imported a CASPart into Outfitter. So thanks again for everything! This is a very handy tool which I plan to put to good use!!
Test Subject
#49 Old 10th Dec 2012 at 1:48 PM
Since patch 1.42 I cannot edit SIMOs in SimOutfitter anymore. I suspect that's because of the new outdoor category. The new SIMO resources kinda look ok in S3PE as far as I can tell. Career outfits made with SimOutfitter prior to 1.42 work ok.

SimOutfitter 1.1 shows following output when loading an outfit:
"Warning: Number of presets does not match number of CAS parts."

Is there any chance for a SimOutfitter 1.2? Your work is really essential if you want to add outfits to custom careers.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
Original Poster
#50 Old 10th Dec 2012 at 3:45 PM
Yeah, looks like there are a couple of new versions of the SIMO format since I last worked on Outfitter. I should be able to update it pretty quickly, but I also really want to make a whole new, updated tool.
Page 2 of 3