Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#51 Old 21st Jul 2005 at 6:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jbloom
I don't think it is racist to say that in general Asians have a distinctive look compared to Europeans, and I don't see why Europeans would be offended by the website saying the Sims looked too European to be Asian.

Nor do I think your Sims look Asian. Sorry. As others have said it is quite difficult to make a good Asian-looking Sim. I don't know about needing to have custom skins or exaggerating features, but I know I personally wouldn't look at those Sims and call them Asian, cool eyeliner or not.

Racism isn't about pointing out differences (like it or not, humans are still quite varied in appearance), it's about unfounded fears, prejudices or ill treatment/harm based upon race. These differences *do often* correlate with geographical location, which also corresponds to thousands of years of history of pretty much the same.

Merely discussing differences does not a racist comment make.

I could not have said it better. I've had the opportunity to read every post on this thread. First of all those sims that was rejected for not looking Asian enough per the moderaters were just BEAUTIUFL! I am so jealous. A note to the person whose drawings were rejected, don't take it personally. In this setting as well as real life people have their taste and standards. I say hold your head up high and keep trying. Use this rejection as a positive and never give up. Hopefully one day I want to illustrate comics and video games, which is a competitive field, realizing that rejection will come but the upside to the rejection is that someone will want my work. :bump: Sorry to be so long winded. Many thanks.
Advertisement
Scholar
#52 Old 21st Jul 2005 at 6:25 PM
Miss Japan for miss sim Earth two:

Does she look Japanese enough :D

Miss China looks weird but I like her:

I think they look pretty close to the real deal, accept that they have eyelids and Miss china's eyes are huge
Test Subject
#53 Old 21st Jul 2005 at 6:44 PM
Funny, my nine year old just walked by and asked if they were chineese. They looked like Mulan to him.

I would imagaine changing the makeup would take care of the eyelid problem.
Scholar
#54 Old 21st Jul 2005 at 8:01 PM
Cool! And about the make-up, that's true. I liked those because of the colors, I wasn't actually going for super authentic looking... nice looking would suffice
Test Subject
#55 Old 26th Jul 2005 at 11:52 AM
Dude, it does seem quite racist, I mean come on, Is there such things as looking toooo African American/ Hispanic or Caucasian? If so. Some of it makes sence, but just seems stupid, sorry about your rejection.
Mad Poster
#56 Old 4th Sep 2005 at 6:32 AM Last edited by niol : 12th Sep 2005 at 5:31 AM. Reason: more to +
Well, the problem I see here raises from how people define and categorise certain characteristics into groups while not leaving out a mind for the "grey-areas"/fluidity/continuity/intertwining/interceptions/intercrossing/etc...". In a present practical way, people have to be baised to start out an approach in the first place before grabbing every little piece back to glue them into one of the possible pictures. For their simplicity, some characteristics are categorised in a "better" efficient way to their particular system. However, when people start to mix up different categorisations according to different "standards"/criteria, confusion results.

In certain scientific fields, they use those terms for describing certain physical characteristics for a group for a particular general practice. But,when people like some politicians mess these definitions with other things for their purpose(s), people start to mix up the ideas and act in the ways as expected in most cases...

Basically, the same/similar terms are used in different ways out of their contexts while people without those contexts get confused by assuming these words represent the same things.
Test Subject
#57 Old 8th Sep 2005 at 1:19 AM
The 2nd one looks a lot like one of my Mexican friends.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 12th Sep 2005 at 5:37 AM Last edited by niol : 12th Sep 2005 at 6:12 AM.
Occasionally, this problem happens in my real life!

Sometimes, I still get on some uneasy moments when people are trying to categorise me with the "best" they can. They're stuck with more specific terms that lacks fluidity and flexibility rather than just simply categorise me as "a person" (a more general term).

That's why an artist may want to simply use more general terms for different "races" to avoid confusion. This method has already been suggested.

Or stating out the categorisational criteria with your more specific terms.
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
#59 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 3:48 AM
However, the impetus for this thread was the difficulty people were having trying to make sims with realistic-looking almond-shaped eyes with underfolded upper lids, noses that were wider, or flatter, or with shorter tips that didn't look just plain ugly, and choosing a skintone that didn't look like a regular white person with a tan. These features are commonly associated with what we used to call "oriental", meaning, generally, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc. In order to avoid offense it was changed to "Asian" but that gives us the problem that "Asian" encompasses a far wider range of genetic archetypes. Yes, if you're trying to make a sim who's Indonesian, Thai, Indian, Pakistani, you have problems as well, but it's a whole different pack of them. With the "Oriental" type Asians, you're starting with sim characteristics that are far enough away from real ones that it's hard enough, but they also start off pretty darned ugly - and we like our pretty sims.

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
Mad Poster
#60 Old 16th Sep 2005 at 4:27 AM Last edited by niol : 16th Sep 2005 at 4:31 AM.
Em.. Actually, there're some similar views, but just concentrate on different points. They're not contradicatory to one another but just specify on different dimensions.

I see I need to clarify the descriptive phrase "more general terms" I used . Actually, I defined that as a person/ a people, as seen in "simply categorise me as "a person" (a more general term)." So, you see the degree I meant.
Test Subject
#61 Old 22nd Sep 2005 at 10:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nouk
Miss Japan for miss sim Earth two:

Does she look Japanese enough :D

Miss China looks weird but I like her:

I think they look pretty close to the real deal, accept that they have eyelids and Miss china's eyes are huge
WOW have yougot those on this site, 'cause they are amazing! I wanna dl them!

aren't we all sane in an insane world? Wait, is it just some, like me???
Instructor
#62 Old 23rd Sep 2005 at 2:42 AM
I've also found that going by a picture helps loads. I was completely unable to make an Asian-looking sim without pictures, but with a pic I can physically see what features I want to add. And you don't just have to use one model. Having some sort of model is way easier than just guessing.

Also, concentrate on the face as a whole. Sometimes I find when I'm creating sims based on pictures I concentrate too much on each individual piece of their face, but when I produce the final product it looks NOTHING like the sim I was trying to make. I've noticed that alot on these forums too. Alot of the time the sims I see look nothing like the celebrities they're based on, yet when you look at each individual part of the face it's correct.

That may sound confusing, but if you concentrate on how the whole face looks rather than the individual pieces such as the nose or eyes, your sims end up looking alot better.

Also, I agree about the skintone. I use heleane's skintones all the time now because they make all my sims look more realistic.
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 24th Sep 2005 at 2:44 AM
honestly, i think this was delved into wayyy too much. I understand your frustration with mods/admins for rejecting your sims on those standards, but honestly just move on.
Asian sims truly are a hit or miss, and to whoever rejected your sims, they were a miss. If I were you, just resubmit them as something else. Who really cares, as long as you get to share your beautiful sims? Three pages about one silly rejection seems a little ludicrous. They're just sims, and though you may have worked really hard on them and making them "Asian", I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

Nouk - Of course! They're both gorgeous and I totally see the Oriental in them.

[CENTER]maybe this year
maybe next year
maybe never?
#64 Old 27th Nov 2005 at 8:24 AM
maybe if you made your own skin color, and made your own eyes that have the slant it would look asian
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 29th Nov 2005 at 2:40 PM Last edited by kimajjas : 29th Nov 2005 at 2:55 PM. Reason: typo
Quote: Originally posted by NarcoticSuite
Try to consider the context for their reason rather than blaming it on racism. Their reason for rejecting your skin is acceptable. If they didn't enforce some sort of control over the site's contents then the site would lose it's diversity. All the skins could potentionally look very similar and thus the site would lose its appeal of variety. Whatever their reasons though, at the end of the day it's their site, we don't have to pay for anything on here so it's a privilage to be on this website, so whatever they say, goes. If you don't like that then there's nothing from stopping you going to another site.

Okay I for one like your skins and I think you should be able to post them no matter what they look like. As for your comment about "All the skins could potentionally look very similar and thus the site would lose its appeal of variety". My biggest complaint with that is have you taken a look at the lots? I mean people make a square box and stick a door on it and call it a house. I mean whats up with that? Thats just wasting my time and its wasting their space. It is also wasting my time to have to look threw to find the good ones. People on this site need to stop sticking things on here that a 3 yr old could make. This site should be for people who have a real talent for building, creating, etc. I could say a lot more about this but I will not. As for your skins again I like them.
Inventor
#66 Old 30th Nov 2005 at 2:54 PM Last edited by Reyn : 30th Nov 2005 at 2:59 PM.
The one thing about Japanese people is this. There is both an oriental genotype and a caucasian one - the Ainu. I have known japanese people with very european features who were part ainu, which is something some japanese are now proud of, since the Ainu were in the islands first.

To the japanese, it is even more important to act japanese - you can look japanese all day, but if you do not act right, it doesn't matter, you are not japanese.

At least, this is what I learned while taking the language way back when - more research papers than for my english class.

--As for the middle oriental types, they are closer to european genotypes. There is less likelyhood for paler skin tones, and blond hair is unheard of, but the bone structure is going to be pretty standard.

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 3rd Dec 2005 at 11:07 PM
I AS WELL DO NOT THINK YOUR SIMS LOOK ASIAN....BUT THEY R BEAUTIFUL AND WITH A FEW LITTLE TWEAKS, THEY WOULD MAKE GREAT ASIANS. iF YOU FIRST WIDENED THE NOSE tips by, like, alot, and slanted the eyes more, they would be great. try that, re-apply for them to be on the site and they will prolly make it. Id love to have them!
Field Researcher
#68 Old 4th Dec 2005 at 9:11 PM
I have no dog in this fight, but as a consumer, if I were looking for Asian, particularly Japanese, sims, these sims would not fit the bill. They do look European (or Indo-European, or whatever you want to call yourselves) but not Japanese. They could possibly pass for Latin, (as in Latin American). Obviously, the mongoloid eye is not there. I say study some photos of authentic Japanese people and try again.

New Judfer creations at Sims2 Noir.
Live Free or Die.
Field Researcher
#69 Old 6th Dec 2005 at 5:52 AM
i myself have been a little POed at some of the reasons why a few of my sims have been rejected but you know administration has done a pretty good job... just something you gotta pick up and move on from.... i dunno, i think your sims are cool but should just try naming them something different. have you tried uploading them again? if so id dl

mjfan84

p.s. im a little surprised admin hasnt locked this forum.... :omg:

As of May, 2007 mjfan84 is retired.
I'm devoting my time to my youtube account. www.youtube.com/mjfan84
I won't be uploading, however I'll be here to answer questions, and my uploads will stay up!
retired moderator
#70 Old 7th Dec 2005 at 5:16 PM
Threads don't get locked unless they break rules.

Field Researcher
#71 Old 10th Dec 2005 at 12:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Faylen
Threads don't get locked unless they break rules.

ehh i thought u guys just didnt like debates in the threads, my bad

As of May, 2007 mjfan84 is retired.
I'm devoting my time to my youtube account. www.youtube.com/mjfan84
I won't be uploading, however I'll be here to answer questions, and my uploads will stay up!
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 12th Dec 2005 at 6:08 PM Last edited by Hooray4nay : 12th Dec 2005 at 6:14 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by o0cyane0o
Plus i have given up all hope of ever seeing a picture of these infamous four asian sims that got rejected and started this whole matter.

Er...let it go?

I just had to say something, and state that this argument is so beyond ridiculous. The modders and accepters have their reasons for rejected sims and I apologize, because I won't even pretend that any Sims I attempt to make turn out good, but I would have to agree with them....

:sorry: ????

You have suffered enough and warred with yourself. It's time that you won...

--------------

Livejournal...
retired moderator
#73 Old 15th Dec 2005 at 12:19 PM
Yeah, I do think that the point has been muddled enough, and since it seems that the thread is no longer offering skinning advice or help, it should probably meet a merciful end.

Locked thread
Page 3 of 3