Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 8:06 PM Last edited by simsgalore : 8th Feb 2005 at 3:33 AM.
Rejected for looking 'Too European'
I submitted 4 Japanese women, and they were rejected because, I quote, they were "too European looking." I understandJapanese people are from Asia, but not all people look the same, so how does one know when a Japanese person looks-like someone, from say, England? I know there is a large difference, but if it is based on their face structure, that is quite racist, considering the site REJECTED them for looking too EUROPEAN. I'm sure that'll make the European users happy to know.

I even know people that look like the ones I submitted, that's how I had gotten the facial structure, from them. I'm not just saying this to defend myself and make the staff sound wrong, but, they are. Please respond, do you agree?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 8:08 PM
uhhhh, do you have pictures so we can judge for ourselves? that would help your plea.
Ice Princess
#3 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 8:10 PM
Yeah you know you should address this in private and not on the public forum. Im sure they had their reasons.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 8:12 PM
I'm sorry, but all the japanese people I know.....even outsite of Japan, don't even look close to European.

....and I have tried to make Asian Sims myself, without any big success.
They really looked too European.
Test Subject
#5 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 8:19 PM
i guess that's a no on the posting pictures thing. Oh well, on a side note it is very hard to make sims that look asian and are still marginly attractive. Lol, try to make Lucy Lu! That one will kill you!!!!!!! well too bad for your misfortune, just know it's hard for everyone to make asian sims, and if you can then you have a real talent.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 8:41 PM
I was able to make a character resembling an oriental person. It's not too hard, but mine is based on Jun kazama from tekken. I did use reference to the character, but considering she's a game character she might not be realistic enough. Although it did take some time, it's hard to make an oriental person without getting the polygons mixed up...

(see Jun at www.bishounentaurus.com)
Field Researcher
#7 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 9:00 PM Last edited by angelmarie123 : 7th Feb 2005 at 9:04 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsgalore
I submitted 4 Japanese women, and they were rejected because, I quote, they were "too European looking." I understandJapanese people are from Asia, but not all people look the same, so how does one know when a Japanese person looks-like someone, from say, England? I know there is a large difference, but if it is based on their face structure, that is quite racist, considering the site REJECTED them for looking too EUROPEAN. I'm sure that'll make the European users happy to know.

I even know people that look like the ones I submitted, that's how I had gotten the facial structure, from them. I'm not just saying this to defend myself and make the staff sound wrong, but, they are. Please respond, do you agree?

do not feel bad...i have decided to stop uploading any of my sims here because of the reasons they give me or lack of sometimes. i, too, submitted an Asian sim...a beautiful one, and they rejected her each time never stating why. then, i was scolded for trying to upload a sim in the sims and families thread, stating that the sims and families thread was for celeb lookalikes, self, and unusual sims.....i guess i was just stupid to assume that my sim did belong in a thread called sims and families.....whatever. i would say that it's not worth the time to mess around trying to upload your sims here...especially after a comment like that. just submit them to the exchange....http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/sim...im&user_id=2212
there's my Asian sim(look at the picture i submitted, it is more accurate) she is beautiful, and i have no idea why she was rejected.
Instructor
#8 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 9:06 PM
The problem in doing asian skins is that you end up needing a custom skin color and you have to exagerate facial features, the eyes expecialy.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 9:20 PM Last edited by angelmarie123 : 7th Feb 2005 at 9:27 PM.
why would you need a custom color? Asians come in all colors and looks, just like every other race does. even still, thats no excuse for them saying his sims were too european. i have seen Asians who look White just as I have seen Indians and Black people who look White. i dont think they should be able to just say, "youre sims' not Asian looking enough or your sim is too European" that is a racist and stereotypical comment.
Test Subject
#10 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 9:33 PM
Try to consider the context for their reason rather than blaming it on racism. Their reason for rejecting your skin is acceptable. If they didn't enforce some sort of control over the site's contents then the site would lose it's diversity. All the skins could potentionally look very similar and thus the site would lose its appeal of variety. Whatever their reasons though, at the end of the day it's their site, we don't have to pay for anything on here so it's a privilage to be on this website, so whatever they say, goes. If you don't like that then there's nothing from stopping you going to another site.
Feeder of Cheesecake to Llamas
retired moderator
#11 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 9:47 PM
Ummm. Why does this seem unreasonable? I don't do the accepting or rejecting, but I can see that if someone said to me "Here's an asian skin" and it looked Caucasian (do you like that better than "european"?) I'd reject it. If skins started showing up here that didn't look enough like what they were billed as to the users downloading them, there'd be a lot of angry posts and messages. Because Asian skins are so hard to do in the game, and because few really good ones exist, people are looking for >excellent< ones here.

"Living well is the best revenge. . ." George Bernard Shaw
#12 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 9:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Drakron
The problem in doing asian skins is that you end up needing a custom skin color and you have to exagerate facial features, the eyes expecialy.

Allan Akbar has good nude (= anatomically correct) Asian genetic skins.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 9:52 PM
Thanks Faylen.....couldn't have said it any better.
.....and I for one, would be one of these people complaining about asian Sims looking more like caucasian Sims.:devil:
Test Subject
#14 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by s.w
Allan Akbar has good nude (= anatomically correct) Asian genetic skins.

Very true but I think you're missing the point of the thread.

Anyway I agree with Faylen. What makes this site so good is that it offers a majority of things that are alot different to what's already out there. There's nothing wrong with having a website that has tonnes of skins which aren't really distinquished too much from the next but THIS website and the powers that be may believe in quality over quantity. As I said it's up to them what they choose to use for their website.
Test Subject
#15 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 10:00 PM
I've also had things rejected but didn't take it personal especially since the response I got back was an automated one. Oh well.

I find the accusation of racism against Europeans pretty funny since the site is OWNED by Europeans. I wouldn't mind seeing a picture so we can see if its "racist" or not.

Sorry angel, your sim is very pretty but IMO she doesn't look very asian to me so I can understand the rejection.
Instructor
#16 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 10:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by angelmarie123
why would you need a custom color?

Because Maxis light skin color is too light (it reminds me of germans) and their tan color is more latin, Allan made a oriental skin tone that works pretty well in the game in that regard, even if it looks too yellow in Bodyshop.

Another thing is if you submit a sim with green eyes and red hair as a japanese sim its going to be rejected, not because there are no japanese with green eyes and red hair but because in such elements are rare in that etnic group (and exist because of mixing with other etnic groups).
#17 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 10:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Darkmoon
Thanks Faylen.....couldn't have said it any better.
.....and I for one, would be one of these people complaining about asian Sims looking more like caucasian Sims.:devil:

I hate the term "Caucasian". It is an American politically correct but very artifical term for "white" people, aka "European" people. The term isn't used anywhere outside the US. A real Caucasian is a person from the Caucasus Mountains area on the border between Europe and Asia (with Russia to the north and Iran to the south), countries like Georgia, Azerbajdzan, Armenia, Chechnya and the like. They're usually people with black hair, lots of black body hair and a far darker complexion than most Europeans.

I'm European, I'm white but I'm definitely not Caucasian. I could possibly accept the term "Indo-European" though.
Test Subject
#18 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 10:07 PM
maybe he made the faces too long and the forehead and chin too pronounced...?
#19 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by angelmarie123
there's my Asian sim(look at the picture i submitted, it is more accurate) she is beautiful, and i have no idea why she was rejected.

I have, she doesn't look the least bit Asian.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 10:09 PM
Stop splitting hairs here and this has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion here!!
You knew darn well that the term caucasian used in this case was pertaining to someone white.
Test Subject
#21 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 10:14 PM
I agree that Angelmarie123's dosent look too asian, she's pretty but not any too asian. This thread has been bugging me all day long so I've been working on an asian sim to combat my frustration which I'm going to post soon. Yall can tell me if she looks asian. I will not be offended if she dose not look any too asian (though I think she does) bt I just think we need a good asian face out there.

Plus i have given up all hope of ever seeing a picture of these infamous four asian sims that got rejected and started this whole matter.
Test Subject
#22 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 10:32 PM
Apologies if I offend anyone by this but...Have I fallen down the rabbit hole or has this thread become the "Lets see if my skin looks Asian enough?" thread??? Keep to the point people!!!

Mods, Admins, authorities, feel free to slap me for stepping out of line.
The Admin Formally Known As Aobh
#23 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 10:33 PM
AngelMarie, I was the one who rejected those particular uploads.

I gave a reason, I personally thought they didnt look Asian and many others on this thread agree with me. The rejection field is quite small and I might have to go through nearly 250 uploads a day... I dont have time to critique every upload nor do I have the inclination to. I do however try to give a brief reason to most uploads.

The fact is, Asian Sims are very hard to make. Another fact is that I'm not happy with some of the sims in Sims & Families and want to screen way more throughly for that section. You got rejected, big deal. It's not the end of the world. To say you're "never uploading here again" is nonsense - will you do that everywhere you get rejected/a bad comment?

Toughen up child and try again. Its just a digital image at the end of the day, nothing earthshattering.

- E

P.S. And if you *do* have a quibble about uploads, PM or email a mod/admin rather than starting an entire thread about it.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 10:41 PM
no actually the term "Caucasian" has nothing to do with American's, And wording things the way you just did s.w. would lead some people to believe that you are somewhat racist. The term caucasian is used by the medical community and the scientific community alike, as a term to identify a persons origin. And actually if you want to get technical about it, it also refers to thinks like genetics and your bones etc. Caucasians have very different structure of the face then mongoloids (the scientific term for people of asian decent.)And actually without things like this it would be nearly impossible to identify victims after they die. So no someone isn't just saying someone "looks" caucasion there are specific characteristics of each background (caucasion, mongoloid, and negroid). Look it up watch the science channels, like discovery and forensic files. Watch them make a model of someone's skull it really is a science and an art.
Here are only a few examples of what they look like
http://medstat.med.utah.edu/kw/oste...nsics/race.html
http://medstat.med.utah.edu/kw/oste...id/midface.html
click on the images to enlarge them if you would like to understand more, or you could do your own google search.

As for the sim that was rejected, I'm very sorry. I think we all have been in those shoes. But the fact of the matter is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And I'm assuming the site does not belong to you, in which case they have the right to do basically whatever they like. You could however host your very own page and then you may keep it up as long as you like. Cheer up :bigwave:
#25 Old 7th Feb 2005 at 11:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by br0k3n79
no actually the term "Caucasian" has nothing to do with American's, And wording things the way you just did s.w. would lead some people to believe that you are somewhat racist. The term caucasian is used by the medical community and the scientific community alike, as a term to identify a persons origin. And actually if you want to get technical about it, it also refers to thinks like genetics and your bones etc. Caucasians have very different structure of the face then mongoloids (the scientific term for people of asian decent.)And actually without things like this it would be nearly impossible to identify victims after they die. So no someone isn't just saying someone "looks" caucasion there are specific characteristics of each background (caucasion, mongoloid, and negroid).

As I wrote the use of the word "Caucasian" to indicate a European, or "white", person is purely American. You would never see that term used that way in Europe or anywhere else in the world for that matter. You could see the term "Indo-European" though. As I wrote in my previous post.

And I'm definitely not a racist so don't even try to pin that on me.
Locked thread
Page 1 of 3