Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 28th Jan 2011 at 6:52 AM
This is my entry for the contest. this is my first post on mts

Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 28th Jan 2011 at 8:32 AM Last edited by picass0blue : 29th Jan 2011 at 9:01 PM.
That was incredibly hard, but it looks like I've managed it...

Kitsch Cottage, secret woodltrail home to the fashion designer Molqui. 34 tiles including a 3 1/2 tile functional bathroom. Landscaped to include both exotic and traditional trees, in line with its renovated feel.

Overview

This secluded country cottage is found up a winding path in Twinbrook. It maintains its traditional exterior, but has been recently renovated inside.

Aerial

Kitchen

Fridge, cooker, two counters, sink, table and four chairs.

Bathroom

Shower, toilet and washbasin.

Bedroom

Bed, bedside table, dresser, bookcase, shelving, desk with laptop and chair, and widescreen wallmounted telly (because even the smallest of modern homes have their luxuries).

Routing Examples

Molqui: "Hrmm .. not bad for a 3 1/2 tile bathroom."

-----
@sandymdh - I'm absolutely loving the mini castle! Especially the attention to detail it holds.
@hotaru801 - Yours is stunning as well!

ETA: Yay for having enough people!
Field Researcher
#28 Old 28th Jan 2011 at 2:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by picass0blue
@hotaru801 - Yours is stunning as well!
D

Thanks and kudos to you for that 3 1/2 tile bathroom.
I've done the 4 tile before but I never thought it could be smaller. You gave me some great space saving options. ^_^ Good luck! :D

And never again, and never again...They gave us two shots to the back of the head... And we're all dead now...
Scholar
Original Poster
#29 Old 28th Jan 2011 at 3:40 PM
The routing in Sims2 probably precludes this, but in Sims3 you can use as few as 3 tiles for a bath. Very RV.

The exciting bit is that picass0blue's entry makes 10! Yay!! Someone can win a star! That dosen't mean that more entries won't be appreciated, so keep them coming, you still have the better part of two days.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#30 Old 29th Jan 2011 at 6:16 AM
Any way you'd be willing to extend this just one day, even though you've got 10 entries? I didn't see this thread until now. Since the smallest house I've ever built was 48 tiles, this sounds like something I'd like to try. My computer had to be reformatted and everything reinstalled...at the moment I'm reinstalling all my games. If I rush I could have something done tomorrow (the 29th) but.. Well, if you can't extend it just one day that's alright.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 29th Jan 2011 at 11:11 AM
Well that was more difficult than I thought it would be, but I got there in the end. I managed to do this with all the items in 30 tiles, although I'm not sure if the tile with the stairs counts, since its only purpose is to enable you to get on the foundation. If it does then I managed it in 31 tiles

All the items are accessible except for two of the chairs, but that's only because there's clutter behind them; without it they function perfectly. :D

Edit: Almost forgot to mention, the dormer thing in the roof is purley for decoration and there's no usable flooring up there (and no way of getting up even if there was).

Front View

Floor Plan

Bedroom

Kitchen

Excuse me, but I just have to explode.
Test Subject
#32 Old 29th Jan 2011 at 4:43 PM Last edited by pandoransark : 29th Jan 2011 at 8:25 PM. Reason: adding text
Power's back!

Overview

Situated along the coast of kiwi_tea's Niua Simoa , this tiny modern home for one or two takes up 33 tiles and is completely playtested.

Aerial View

The floorplan includes a "cutout" in the center of the house, preserving a prexisting palm tree.

"Bedroom"

The windows around the bed allow for an amazing view. There is room for a small dresser and an endtable behind the bed.

Office Nook

The left half of the desk is used as a display area for Chinese urn.

Bathroom

The bathroom features local stone and a full size bathtub.

Kitchen/Dining Area

The kitchen/dining area is separated from the "bedroom" by a stylish bookcase.
Scholar
Original Poster
#33 Old 29th Jan 2011 at 8:29 PM
Sorry to have not been around this AM, got roped into some unexpected babysitting. Now, I'm worn out! Anyhow, I've decdided that entries will close on time, which at present is in about 8 1/2 hours. Sorry to anyone who wants to enter but can't make it. I'll be posting round one later tonight, and have notified the judges about getting their scores in.

Mad Poster
#34 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 2:20 AM
Looks like there are some awesome entries, have fun with the judging judge people! :-)

I wait with bated breath for Round 1! :-D (well, actually I'll be waiting asleep for Round 1, as it's almost 2:30am here, but I'd be very excited about it if I was going to be awake! :-P
Scholar
Original Poster
#35 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 3:06 AM

So, your lovely, cosy, tiny home was everything you ever wanted. Then you met that special someone, and things got a little tight, but you were "in lurve" and made do. Then one day...!!! Suddenly, tiny was NOT an option, however having a baby is expensive and there wasn't a lot of money left over, so...

Using no more than 50 tiles, design a home for 2 sims and a baby. You may design in any style, on any lot, any number of floors. You may design an entirely new home, or add on to your previous lot.

You must include all the items from the aplication round plus the following items at a minimum, feel free to add more if you can! You may add outside terraces/decks in keeping with the scale of the home, and any landscaping/amenities you wish, again keeping in scale.
  • Crib
  • Changing Table*
  • High Chair
  • Two skill toys
  • Potty Chair
(Don't babys need a lot of stuff?!! lol!)

*Sims 3 players may use a cc changing table, or a two-tile dresser, as there are no changing tables in the game.

Rules, photos and scoring are the same as in the aplication round.

Please PM me with any questions.

Scholar
Original Poster
#36 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 4:02 AM
I was trying to stay up untill midnight to close the round on time, but I'm too tired from this morning, even after a nap! My nieces and nephews wore me out. So, applications are officially closed. Round one info has been posted, so have at it.

Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 6:13 AM
Ooh, this round will be a hard one but fun! Remember, everyone, YOU CAN MAKE SECOND LEVELS!

ENTJ
Field Researcher
#38 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 10:07 AM
I have two questions before I start concocting ideas for this round....
  • Can we use 1 tile cribs and dressing tables, such as these? I'm guessing the answer is no, which is fine, but I thought I'd ask anyway!
  • Do we have to follow the story that the Sim from our application round has now had a baby? I only ask as I made a log-cabin for my application, and I'd love to perhaps a very different style for this round, which probably wouldn't fit in with your story...

Thanks in advance for your answer, I am looking forward to what I'm sure is going to be a really great round!

Like this post? You'll love my Tumblr! 😉
Scholar
Original Poster
#39 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 10:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by wgroome
I have two questions before I start concocting ideas for this round....
  • Can we use 1 tile cribs and dressing tables, such as these? I'm guessing the answer is no, which is fine, but I thought I'd ask anyway!
  • Do we have to follow the story that the Sim from our application round has now had a baby? I only ask as I made a log-cabin for my application, and I'd love to perhaps a very different style for this round, which probably wouldn't fit in with your story...

Thanks in advance for your answer, I am looking forward to what I'm sure is going to be a really great round!

CC is perfectly ok, and you can do a totally new lot.

Quote: Originally posted by kattenijin
Using no more than 50 tiles, design a home for 2 sims and a baby. You may design in any style, on any lot, any number of floors. You may design an entirely new home, or add on to your previous lot.

OT: Was so darn tired at 11pm. Now wide awake at 5am WTF??!!!

Field Researcher
#40 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 12:40 PM
Another question. Second levels are possible but especially with Sims 3 the stairs do take up 6 tiles for example for 1 level straight stairs and split stairs aren't much better with the connecting tiles required. It gives the Sims 2 folks an advantage with their spiral staircases. Anyway do ALL these tiles need to be counted even if they are only for structural purposes?
Scholar
Original Poster
#41 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 3:58 PM
To me, spiral stairs have 6 tiles of "wasted space" where you can't place objects and straight-run stairs only have 3 tiles. As to "void" spaces, spaces that are part of the structure but not accesible/used, I'm leaving that up to the judges to decide. I've given them my opinions, but it is their call. If you were to use walls to make a collum that holds up a car-park roof or porch roof, I wouldn't count those. Spaces under interior stairs that are created by building cheats and are a main part of the building, in my opinion should be counted.

Field Researcher
#42 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 4:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kattenijin
To me, spiral stairs have 6 tiles of "wasted space" where you can't place objects and straight-run stairs only have 3 tiles. As to "void" spaces, spaces that are part of the structure but not accesible/used, I'm leaving that up to the judges to decide. I've given them my opinions, but it is their call. If you were to use walls to make a collum that holds up a car-park roof or porch roof, I wouldn't count those. Spaces under interior stairs that are created by building cheats and are a main part of the building, in my opinion should be counted.

So does that mean that spaces inside the structure where stairs are used don't count toward the total tile count? Like in my split level for the app round, minus one tile because of the stair to the upper level?

And never again, and never again...They gave us two shots to the back of the head... And we're all dead now...
Field Researcher
#43 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 4:53 PM
I think I'll just count it all except porches to be safe. I'm really struggling with this round - 15 more tiles seemed like so much but with stairs, 2 tile landing and all the baby stuff it's still very difficult. I think I'll have to scrap my first attempt and start afresh (54 tiles and can't get any smaller). Perhaps extra points for those with 2 floors this round as that is definitely harder to fit in.
Scholar
Original Poster
#44 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 5:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by hotaru801
So does that mean that spaces inside the structure where stairs are used don't count toward the total tile count? Like in my split level for the app round, minus one tile because of the stair to the upper level?

Quote: Originally posted by sandymdh
I think I'll just count it all except porches to be safe. I'm really struggling with this round - 15 more tiles seemed like so much but with stairs, 2 tile landing and all the baby stuff it's still very difficult. I think I'll have to scrap my first attempt and start afresh (54 tiles and can't get any smaller). Perhaps extra points for those with 2 floors this round as that is definitely harder to fit in.

No, those spaces count because they are being "used" by the stair (and whatever objects placed below the stairs if possible). To me, it appeared that sandymdh felt that Sims 2 players had an advantage in useable space over Sims 3 players because of the spiral staircase footprint, which I believe is false.

The second part of the question was what spaces were counted. All used spaces are counted, regardless of how they are used. "Void" spaces that are part of the structure yet not used are left to judge's discretion.

YOU DO NOT NOT NOT NEED TO USE STAIRS IN THIS OR ANY OTHER ROUND!!!

THE USE OF MULTIPLE LEVELS IS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION!!!

Lavaster's post about second levels is in no way a requirement.

Test Subject
#45 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 8:49 PM
May we use those animated ladders instead of regular stairs?
Scholar
Original Poster
#46 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Samethana
May we use those animated ladders instead of regular stairs?

Ummm... I'm gonna have to say no to this one, because there is no equivalent in Sims 3. Considering how the stairs (don't) work in Sims 3 I don't think the equivalent will even be possible. It's the one thing I want in the game more than anything else, is more ways to build/have stairs without cfe cheats.

Test Subject
#47 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 10:26 PM
Ok, than it's going to be plan B
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 10:58 PM
With one tile dressers, desks, cribs and changing tables I seem to be at a bit of a disadvantage for not using CC. Can I just replace the changing table/dresser for a toy box instead? Or use a one tile table as a desk? I guess not since these are required, I just had to ask. Of course if the one tile cribs and changing tables are only available for TS2 they probably need the extra free tiles, TS2 Sims need a lot more room to move around.

Would it be ok to use the fire pole instead of stairs if I add a second floor?
Scholar
#49 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 11:05 PM
Wow, awesome contest
I'm a bit late, lol, but I'm watching avidly for the results! Good luck everybody!
Scholar
Original Poster
#50 Old 31st Jan 2011 at 1:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sulyuki
With one tile dressers, desks, cribs and changing tables I seem to be at a bit of a disadvantage for not using CC. Can I just replace the changing table/dresser for a toy box instead? Or use a one tile table as a desk? I guess not since these are required, I just had to ask. Of course if the one tile cribs and changing tables are only available for TS2 they probably need the extra free tiles, TS2 Sims need a lot more room to move around.

Would it be ok to use the fire pole instead of stairs if I add a second floor?

O.O the fire pole! I forgot about that! Umm.. Ok. The firepole and the Sims 2 ladders may both be used. Just an fyi, I do create a home myself to test the number of squares, so I do know it is possible to fit the items I give you, even if the places they end up are a tad unexpected. I'll admit, the ones for these first two rounds have both been one lelvel, I'm impressed at those of you doing multiple levels. (I also think you are a tad insane... )

Page 2 of 9