Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 6:44 AM Last edited by kattenijin : 20th Feb 2011 at 11:04 PM.
Default Everything they've ever wanted...just smaller!

It's always easy to design a home when you have all the space in the world, but what to do when you have no room to spare? For each round, you will be able to use any size/type lot you wish; but, there will be a "tile allottment" that you can't go over. There will also be furniture you need to fit into the space, but no actual spending limits.

Rules:
  • Entries may be Sims 2 or Sims 3
  • One entry per contestant.
  • There will be no eliminations.
  • All forum rules apply.
  • No budget, so spend as you will!
  • If you have questions, please pm me!
  • Custom content is allowed.
  • NO photoshoping, except for creating collage photos.
  • Be polite!
  • If you need an extension you must PM at least 12 hours before the round ends.(Rounds end at 11:59:59 PM GMT-5 of the last day of the round.)

Picture requirements for each round:
  • 1)1 Overview of Exterior. (Entire lot, not an aerial.)
  • 2)1 Areial of each floor, not to exceed 3.
  • 3)Up to 4 Photos, which can be collages; featuring interior, exterior and any other special lot features. For a total of up to 8.

Rounds

Applications: Single Life: January 22 to January 29

Round 1: And Baby Makes Three: January 30 to February 5

Round 2: Balet, Soccer Practice, Mini Van; Oh My!: February 6 to February 12

Round 3: The Kids Are Gone!!! *Knock, Knock* : February 13 to February 19

Round 4: All That's Old, Is New Again : Febuary 20 to February 26

Application Requirements:
Using no more than 35 tiles, design a home for a single sim. You may design in any style, on any lot, any number of floors. You must include the following items at a minimum, feel free to add more if you can! You may add outside terraces/decks in keeping with the scale of the home, and any landscaping/amenities you wish.
  • Toilet
  • Shower
  • Sink
  • Refrigerator
  • Stove
  • 2 Counters
  • Double Bed- Accessable from both sides!
  • Nightstand
  • Dresser
  • Desk w/chair
  • Table w/4 chairs
  • Bookcase

Scores will be based 45/45 on Beauty and Creativity. There will be an additional 1 point added for the first 5 tiles "under budget" (ie: for the application, if you use only 30 tiles, you will get 5 points, and if you use 32 tiles, you will get 3, etc.) and up to 5 "free points" for each judge to allocate as they wish.

Judges:

Judge 1) baratron
Judge 2) Vampire of Death
Judge 3) appelsapgodin

EJ 1) kaylarox
EJ 2) me

Contestants:

1) lauratje86
2)sandymdh
3)amora selvagen -withdrawn
4)Samethana
5)wgroome -withdrawn
6)wickedblue
7)Sulyuki
8)hotaru801
9)phoenixshikiri -withdrawn
10)picass0blue -withdrawn
11)Cloudburst
12)pandoransark -withdrawn

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Advertisement
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 6:45 AM Last edited by beeps : 22nd Feb 2011 at 7:57 AM.
Contest Approved
Begins 1.22.11
Ends 2.24.11
  • Do not post replies and/or contest applications before the contest host has checked in on this thread, or your post will be deleted.
  • DO NOT WRITE USELESS POSTS like "Hey cool contest, I think I might join." Reserve type posts and useless posts about coming back with an application will be deleted.

Formerly known as boolPropped
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 6:13 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen...start your entries!

Or, ask about being a Judge/EJ.

Lab Assistant
#4 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 5:59 AM
Il be a judge :') haha if this is still going that is ;D
Field Researcher
#5 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 5:19 PM
From my calculations (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but to have all of these items, including empty tiles to access them without cheats, you need about 42 squares...

Like this post? You'll love my Tumblr! 😉
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 5:50 PM
I would like to be a judge, if that's okay with you.

ENTJ
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 9:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wgroome
From my calculations (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but to have all of these items, including empty tiles to access them without cheats, you need about 42 squares...

It can be done in the alotted amount; you just need to think outside the box on placement sometimes.

We have 2 judges so far, iiebccax and Lavaster; still need one more judge, and an EJ or two, and hopefuly some entries!

Mad Poster
#8 Old 23rd Jan 2011 at 9:55 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 25th Jan 2011 at 4:45 PM. Reason: Changed the pictures, because I've altered the house.....
Default Lauratje86 - Application
I've playtested this lot, and everything seems accessible, though some of the clutter may make it hard to use some items now. I saw that CC was allowed, so I used a custom 1-tile desk - just couldn't manage to fit a 2-tile one in! I used the full 35 tiles. Boy, this was hard.....

I have edited this because I changed the house. I took way more photos too, so I made a few collages.

Let me know if I need to change anything! :-)

Exterior Overview:

Aerial View:

Collages:

**EDIT** I just re-playtested it, and she can get to everything and use everything, despite the clutter. I have added a laptop on the desk and she can use that too.

**EDIT 2** I've changed the pictures, because I changed the house a bit. The basic layout's still the same, but I did some more landscaping outside and changed some of the wall paint. I hope the collages are ok.

@ sandymdh - I made it look easy?! Only because you didn't see how long it took me to squeeze everything in! I must've redone the layout at least a dozen times before I made everything fit.... I love your castle, by the way. I can imagine it wouldn't be quite what one expected if one was told that one had inherited a castle, but I think it's pretty cute! :-D
Test Subject
#9 Old 24th Jan 2011 at 1:35 AM
Can we use moveobjects to place stairs and a door against the same tile?
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 24th Jan 2011 at 2:06 AM
You can use any building cheats/methods you wish.

Field Researcher
#11 Old 25th Jan 2011 at 10:29 AM
Default Petit Chateau
Thanks Lauratje86 for making that look so easy when it really isn't :-)

I am very busy making a new world - though a historically themed one so thought I'd kill 2 birds with one stone and build a house I can use in it as well as enter here. It's a Sims 3 one so I do have the luxury of CAS. Amazingly it's actually all routable - I even have a pic of my Sim brushing her teeth to prove a 4 tile bathroom can work!

My sim was a little disappointed when she arrived in France to view the 'castle' she had been left in a distant relative's will but is settling in and appreciates it's shabby but luxurious style.

Front View

Floor Plan

The Kitchen

The Bedroom

The Bathroom
Instructor
#12 Old 25th Jan 2011 at 10:52 AM Last edited by amora_selvagen : 25th Jan 2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: bigger picture-I forgot to tell a bit about the house!!!
My aplication!!!

I am creating a new hood and this house is just perfect for there!
Welcome to Beachview 01 the compact house build in Simyear 001, with two floor is perfect for a single sim.
I did used 35tiles!!!

I am Brazilian but I live in Switzerland!!!!
Call me Paula if you want :)
My Tumblr =)
Test Subject
#13 Old 25th Jan 2011 at 7:37 PM
This was really hard, not just the building and decorating, but also taking the pictures.
Anyways, I gave it a shot and this is the result:

Exterior:

The house features a small frontporch, filled with plants, the backyard is full of palmtrees and exotic bushes, and a hammock just for your single sim's pleasure.

Aerial:

As you can see, everything is crammed inside this tiny little house. It's more spacious when the bed is folded in though.

Kitchen:

The kitchen offers all basic comfort; a refridgerator, sink and stove.

Dining Nook:

The dining nook has extra large windows, so your sim can enjoy the vieuw (in my case, the ocean).

Bedroom Area/Study Area:

The bedroom and study area has a double fold-in bed, a dresser, nightstand, bookcase and desk with computer.

Unfortunately, the bathroom is too small to take a picture of it, but there's only a shower and toilet so it's not very interesting.

I'm gonna use this house as a vacation house to one of my very girly sims, hence all the pinky goodness. I've already taken her there to test the lot, and everything works fine.
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 25th Jan 2011 at 10:01 PM
Sorry to do a quick edit-and-run this morning without posting, but I hadn't looked out the window yet, and suddenly realised I heard snow being shoveled. Looked out and saw that I had to go dig the car out as we had gotten more snow overnight, snow that was originally "scheduled" for Wednesday AM, and which we are now also supposed to get Weds PM too, we shall see...

Anyhow, thanks for the new entries! Some of you may want to double check your entries. Still looking for another judge.

Field Researcher
#15 Old 26th Jan 2011 at 10:39 AM
Default wgroome - Application
Montana Cabin #5

Deep in the heart of the Three Lakes clearing, this charming
pine cabin offers an affordable way to live in the heart of the
woods. Features include a kitchenette with traditional stove
and hand-crafted furniture made from local Three Lakes' pine.

Like this post? You'll love my Tumblr! 😉
Inventor
#16 Old 26th Jan 2011 at 4:15 PM
Here is my itty bitty cottage in the woods:

kittens!
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 26th Jan 2011 at 5:39 PM Last edited by ilovesrk : 27th Jan 2011 at 2:03 PM.
Uhm... you still need a judge, right? Can that judge be me? Oh, and is it a problem that I don't play The Sims 3? I'm planning on buying it, but I think that won't happen until after the contest is over, because I haven't played The Sims 2 for two years (4-year-old laptop, father too stingy to buy a new one), so now that I'll finally be able to (my new brand new desktop will be here in a few days), I just don't feel like playing The Sims 3, all I can think about is good old TS2! I can still look at TS3 lots' pictures, rate everything and all, I just won't be able to playtest lots, if that's required. So... can I be a judge? :D

ETA: I looooove small lots and I have lots of free time, if that helps. (:
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 26th Jan 2011 at 8:58 PM
I had to give this a try, it was really hard, almost impossible. I don't even have any one tile dressers or desks.

Inventor
#19 Old 26th Jan 2011 at 10:21 PM
I need some clarification. Are porches and decks not included in the total count? I thought they were and made allowance for that in my build.

kittens!
Scholar
Original Poster
#20 Old 26th Jan 2011 at 10:53 PM
Porches/decks/gazebos/etc were optional as long as they don't overpower the main structure. Which, in this round, is the 35 tiles. Remember though, you get bonus points for being "under budget".

Updated entries/judges. Anyone want snow? We got plenty this AM and are expecting another 8 to 12 inches overnight, sheesh!

And, look at that! & entries so far. I guess it isn't quite as difficult as you all thought now as it? After all, you DID it!!! Congrats! Hot Chocolate and cranberry/orange scones for everyone!

Field Researcher
#21 Old 27th Jan 2011 at 3:44 AM
May I ask for clarification? Do all the listed items have to appear inside the 35 squares of house, or is it permissible to have, say, an outdoor table and chair set (maybe on a porch/verandah) as the table and four chairs? In the sense of what would logically exist. I'm very interested in taking this contest up, but I want to make sure my ideas are OK as there isn't much time left on this round.
Scholar
Original Poster
#22 Old 27th Jan 2011 at 8:03 AM
The required items should be inside the 35 squares.

Test Subject
#23 Old 27th Jan 2011 at 5:09 PM
Is there any chance I could get an extension? I'm typing this in a hotel room due to power outage + cold, and don't know when I'll have access to Sims 3 again.
Scholar
Original Poster
#24 Old 28th Jan 2011 at 1:37 AM
Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, Spent a couple hours shoveling snow, 'cause the grounds crew did such an f-ing poor job. Granted, we are at record-breaking levels of snow, but still... Then I needed a nap, for SIX!!! hours! OI!!

pandoransark Let me know Saturday if you still need that extension, if we haven't gotten at least 10 entries, I'll brobably be extending apps through Round One.

Field Researcher
#25 Old 28th Jan 2011 at 3:02 AM Last edited by hotaru801 : 1st Feb 2011 at 3:17 PM.
This is my entry. Besides the main picture, the others are attached since the page was getting hard for me to load because of all the pictures... Yay slow internet...

I call it The Wave House. 35 tiles on the head.

Screenshots

And never again, and never again...They gave us two shots to the back of the head... And we're all dead now...

Page 1 of 9