Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Lot Compressor

by Mootilda Posted 29th Nov 2010 at 2:30 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 2:56 PM by Nysha

38 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 19 Feedback Posts, 18 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#2 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 3:31 PM
:lovestruc You must know that I am totally in love with this idea!

I was reading about it last night and thought what an ingenious idea. Since creating Gwrych, I've been experimenting with different ways to share lots, but unfortunately a themed lot set is CC heavy and I'm not a technical "modder". The most I can do is manipulate files and organize things so that people don't have to work to hard to get what they want. So this is absolute brilliance!

Once I complete Gwrych I shall be a willing guinea pig as I play with an idea for a complete Base "Gamish" (minimal EPs and very little CC) neighborhood. Oh the potential of this shared creation!

Thank you immensely!
Instructor
THANKS POST
#3 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 3:37 PM
Wow. This is really a super useful tool. Thank you for continuing to help us play and share our simming.
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#4 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 3:53 PM
My jaw dropped. Literally. I always love all your little helper programs, thank you so much!
Space Pony
THANKS POST
#5 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 6:15 PM
I seriously just heard angelic music in my head as soon as I saw the title of this upload O.o Heck, I can barely run Notepad simultaneously with TS2 because of how big it is. Gonna wait for feedback, to see if anyone gets corruption (not enough room on my disk to back my game up), but if it's safe I'm grabbing this.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#6 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 7:55 PM
Thank you for doing this: I've been using the "Compressorizer" to shrink my lots for a very long time. This will definitely replace that program for lot shrinking.
By the way, using the compressorizor does not corrupt lots, so I'm pretty sure that this program should not as well.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 8:27 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 29th Nov 2010 at 9:45 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Tymaporer
Gonna wait for feedback, to see if anyone gets corruption (not enough room on my disk to back my game up), but if it's safe I'm grabbing this.
This program is unlikely to corrupt your lots or neighborhood. Still, I really don't recommend using the program without a backup. At the very least, backup the lots that you actually intend to compress. You could backup to a USB stick, if you don't have enough room on your hard drive.

Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Thank you for doing this: I've been using the "Compressorizer" to shrink my lots for a very long time. This will definitely replace that program for lot shrinking.
By the way, using the compressorizor does not corrupt lots, so I'm pretty sure that this program should not as well.
The Compressorizer and the LotCompressor do completely different things and you can't generalize from one to the other. In fact, you can probably use both to get the maximum compression. When I used the Compressorizer on Brainania, it was reduced by another 2 M.

The LotCompressor does something very simple: it removes a bunch of images which are generated by the game each time that the lot is saved. Because of this, it's a relatively safe procedure.

If I remember correctly, the Compressorizer runs a routine to compress the text strings within a package. I can certainly look into adding this functionality to the LotCompressor.

I'm sure that there are other optimizations which can be performed. For example, I've noticed that unoccupied lots still contain information about the relationships between sims in the neighborhood where the lot was created. This is pretty useless information if the lot is unoccupied, so it may be possible to safely remove that information as well.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#8 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 8:43 PM
COOLNESS! Just tried it, after backing up my hood and lots again, gonna see if it got borked. I hope not cuz this thing just saved me a couple of gigs!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#9 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 10:59 PM
Best of ideas! That's going to save a few megs out of my full hard drive!
Top Secret Researcher
THANKS POST
#10 Old 29th Nov 2010 at 11:17 PM
Thanks, Mootilda, this is great! Will help a bunch of people, but since I don't like tons of CC, I don't build houses with loads of CC, so I probably won't need this. But for others, this is very helpful!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#11 Old 30th Nov 2010 at 12:26 AM
The LotCompressor has nothing to do with CC. Brainania has no CC at all and yet the lots were compressed by more than 50%.
Gone Fishin'
retired moderator THANKS POST
#12 Old 30th Nov 2010 at 6:15 AM
Thank you for this! Everything that saves game space is a huge WIN in my book. You're the best, you know that, right?
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#13 Old 30th Nov 2010 at 6:53 AM
Can this help lots run faster/smoother?
Instructor
THANKS POST
#14 Old 30th Nov 2010 at 12:34 PM
Awesome. I'm gonna make backups this weekend and compress the hell out of everything. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#15 Old 30th Nov 2010 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zoom3465
Can this help lots run faster/smoother?
No, probably not. The hard drive savings are temporary. As soon as you play and save a lot, the images are added back into the lot package. Since the game does this automatically every time that you save a lot, compressed lots will not speed up or slow down your game.

This means that compression of residential lots will be lost as soon as you play the lot. Compression of lots within the lot bin and compression of community lots tend to be permanent, but that's just because those lots are never regenerated.

Because lot compression is lost as soon as the lot is saved, there isn't much use in compressing residential lots that you are currently playing. However, I definitely recommend that residential lots be compressed just before you share them.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 30th Nov 2010 at 6:42 PM
So then, am I correct in assuming that The LotCompresor is only of value to those who share their lots?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#17 Old 30th Nov 2010 at 8:00 PM
I created this utility to reduce the size of lots and neighborhoods when they are shared.

However, if you would like to save hard drive space, then it makes sense to compress your lot catalog and all of your community lots. The LotCompressor can also be used to reduce the size of any permanent backups that you make.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#18 Old 3rd Dec 2010 at 5:01 AM
Thank you, Mootilda. This will be an enormous aid for my game.
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#19 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 4:42 AM
Thanks, I do this here coz websense has blocked MTS-branded address.

As for file compression,
I wanna add my 2 cent experiences.

1. Removal of useless graphical image files from the lot package files is very safe coz it won't affect data required for the game to run and play. Indeed, i've been doing so in the shared lots I've released since I started to do so. Before such act, I've tested to confirm.

2. Those useless graphical files in lot package are generally not re-compressible by any known compression method except through compression conversion.

3. As much as I remember and know about Compressorizer is it's nothing more like zip-compressibility without the ability to deal with redundant files and etc. So for maximum file-size reduction in file-sharing, if one means to use compression method to reduce data and file redundancy, one'd better not to use it. Indeed, one had better have the files in lot packages uncompressed, namely no in-game default compression on all files. Such in-game default compression was probably chosen only for running efficiency at the time and will enervate the compressibility of any stronger compression methods. One may use rar or 7z or uha for better compression than zip by then.

4. After all, files updated will be recompressed by the in-game default compression.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#20 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 4:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by niol
3. As much as I remember and know about Compressorizer is it's nothing more like zip-compressibility without the ability to deal with redundant files and etc. So for maximum file-size reduction in file-sharing, if one means to use compression method to reduce data and file redundancy, one'd better not to use it. Indeed, one had better have the files in lot packages uncompressed, namely no in-game default compression on all files. Such in-game default compression was probably chosen only for running efficiency at the time and will enervate the compressibility of any stronger compression methods. One may use rar or 7z or uha for better compression than zip by then.
Yes, this makes sense to me. When I used the compressorizer on Brainania, it saved a few meg, but when I zipped the results, there was basically no difference in the size of the zip file. That really seems to indicate that the compressorizer uses the zip compression algorithm.

On the other hand, my LotCompressor algorithm made a huge difference in the resulting zip file.
Theorist
#21 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 2:16 PM
Mootilda, is the lot bin display picture one of the pictures that will be deleted and the game regenerates later?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#22 Old 4th Dec 2010 at 3:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell
Mootilda, is the lot bin display picture one of the pictures that will be deleted and the game regenerates later?
No. I retain that picture for the obvious reason.

However, if you intend to upload your lot to the Exchange, you will not want to use the LotCompressor. The pictures of the floorplans which appear on the Exchange are deleted by the LC.
Test Subject
#23 Old 14th Jan 2011 at 9:52 PM
I see that this work with community lots which is fantastic. I wondered what it did with business lots. Since I guess those do save, will this work or would I have to keep compressing the lot? Or not bother?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#24 Old 15th Jan 2011 at 12:18 AM
If a lot is saved when you leave it, then the game will add the pictures back into the lot.
Test Subject
#25 Old 7th Sep 2011 at 1:03 AM
I have been looking all over for this type of Mod...Thank you so much.
Page 1 of 2